PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Wave

Gunner
03-28-2013, 11:12
Looks like the second wave will be a Swan class Sloop, a Hebe class Frigate and 100-120 gun Sol's.

pward
03-28-2013, 11:15
Looks like the second wave will be a Swan class Sloop, a Hebe class Frigate and 100-120 gun Sol's.

Was this officially announced?

Gunner
03-28-2013, 11:22
Was this officially announced?

Information was from Ares on Facebook.

BonhommeRichard
03-28-2013, 13:36
nice

Beowulf03809
03-29-2013, 13:08
I like a French First Rate and I think introduction of Sloops will be really nice variety as well. It looks like the Hebe is a slightly smaller French frigate than the ones included in Wave 1?

Other than the sloop I wonder if other British ships will be introduced. They seem to be balanced on releases so far.

David Manley
03-29-2013, 13:30
Hebe became HMS Hebe in 1782 as did several of her sisters over the years (class of six, three captured and taken into RN service), so there's no problems using the Wave 2 French frigate as a British one. I'd be surprised if one of the releases isn't in British colours.

Beowulf03809
03-29-2013, 13:43
True. And a good option for Side B cards. :rum:

Sea Gull
03-31-2013, 11:43
I see more scope for the smaller ships at the moment. It's not every week that you want to play a heavy weight contest. Sloops, frigates, merchies, these are the ships that will offer the most opportunites for quick scenarios.

David Manley
03-31-2013, 11:49
Yes, the system really lends itself to the cut and thrust of small ship actions.

Diamondback
03-31-2013, 11:50
Personally, I'd rather the A and B cards match in flag and paint (less psychotic-episode-inducing rework), but there's a pretty deep well of RN repaints, both as captured Hebes and the homebuilt Ledas (reverse-engineered clones).

Cmmdre
03-31-2013, 12:52
The 2nd wave sounds like a good option. I too like the faster more agile ships for speed and disruption.

7eat51
03-31-2013, 14:50
Yes, the system really lends itself to the cut and thrust of small ship actions.

Especially given how we often play WoG when we have an hour or two. Smaller actions will also serve well for a campaign game similar to OTT. I think smaller actions will also be more welcoming to newbies and social gamers, and more familiar - most people have seen movies of lone ships - such as Master and Commander or Mutiny on the Bounty. I don't remember the last time I saw a film on Trafalgar, though I would love to.

Cmmdre
03-31-2013, 14:56
Done properly I think a movie on Trafalgar would be great. Even though some of the outcomes are known like in Argo done right it would be interesting viewing. Upon what I've read here on this forum I'm going to pick up the Horatio Hornblower disc set. Only I'll have to wait until after this Kickstarter thing is wrapped up and paid for.

7eat51
03-31-2013, 15:17
I'm going to pick up the Horatio Hornblower disc set.

You won't regret it. Anything by A&E is done well.

Get this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Horatio-Hornblower-Collectors-Edition/dp/B004G8N9VO/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1364764563&sr=1-3

It has all 8 discs. Some of the other sets have partial coverage.

Cmmdre
03-31-2013, 15:20
You won't regret it. Anything by A&E is done well.

Get this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Horatio-Hornblower-Collectors-Edition/dp/B004G8N9VO/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1364764563&sr=1-3

It has all 8 discs. Some of the other sets have partial coverage.

Thank you. That is the set I am planning to buy. Maybe I can convince my wife to watch the series with me.

7eat51
03-31-2013, 15:30
Thank you. That is the set I am planning to buy. Maybe I can convince my wife to watch the series with me.

Do so, and you might gain a new SoG player.

I knew something was up when my wife sat down with me around the fourth episode of Band of Brothers - she was not into military movies at all. We ended up watching the rest of the series, finishing sometime in the wee hours of the morning. Did I mention she likes to go to bed early? I should have known there-and-then a gamer could be lurking inside. Now she plays WoG, wants to make gaming mats and paint planes, loves Ace of Aces, and is thoroughly enjoying Pathfinder RPG (though she wasn't sure after her first night of playing).

Cmmdre
03-31-2013, 15:54
Do so, and you might gain a new SoG player.

I knew something was up when my wife sat down with me around the fourth episode of Band of Brothers - she was not into military movies at all. We ended up watching the rest of the series, finishing sometime in the wee hours of the morning. Did I mention she likes to go to bed early? I should have known there-and-then a gamer could be lurking inside. Now she plays WoG, wants to make gaming mats and paint planes, loves Ace of Aces, and is thoroughly enjoying Pathfinder RPG (though she wasn't sure after her first night of playing).

I'll keep that in mind.

Diamondback
03-31-2013, 16:04
Personally, I think it'd be an interesting take on Trafalgar to do a mini-series, interleaving the stories of Nelson and his flagship from their shared year of birth.

PirateBlake
03-31-2013, 16:09
So how would any of you do a reprint? What would be a different color?

Cmmdre
03-31-2013, 16:26
Personally, I think it'd be an interesting take on Trafalgar to do a mini-series, interleaving the stories of Nelson and his flagship from their shared year of birth.

A mini-series is a good idea. You could cover much more than just a 2-hour movie.

Green flash
03-31-2013, 16:49
I'm rather fond of brigs,but a few sloops with a frigate thrown in would be nice.

Diamondback
03-31-2013, 16:59
A mini-series is a good idea. You could cover much more than just a 2-hour movie.
I mean, Trafalgar is almost tailor-made for an eppy of Military Channel's "Man, Moment, Machine" except for how long it'd take to tell the story... even a 2-hour special would only be a summary.

Cmmdre
03-31-2013, 17:02
I think you are on to something with a full blown series without going over-board. Pun intended. It could go a few seasons if done correctly.