PDA

View Full Version : Boots on the shore, but not for long

Eldil
03-27-2013, 08:31
Greetings!

My name's Nate; I live in Chicago. I've never backed a kickstarter before, but Ares has found my kryptonite. I started reading the Hornblower series a couple years ago and was absolutely hooked, and now this fixation has spilled over into my two other all-consuming obsessions: board games and pretty, pretty things.

Fortunately, I'm getting married in May to a woman who truly fills my sails, but unfortunately, this has put a huge strain on my wallet, so at first I wasn't sure I was going to be able to jump in. But after drooling over the game for more than I week, I finally put my entire A Game of Thrones LCG collection on ebay. It's currently at $300, but I hope it'll jump a bit higher by the end of the auction in 3 days, because whatever I make there is going right into Sails of Glory.

My plan is to pledge at the captain level, and then add an additional mat, combat ruler, and terrain pack #1 (because what's the point of having 16 ships if you don't have the room for a massive sea battle?). Does this seem reasonable?

Anyway, I'm glad this forum exists. I needed a place to vent my squealing excitement.

Cheers!

Jack Aubrey
03-27-2013, 08:41
Welcome, Nate :salute:

Beowulf03809
03-27-2013, 09:19
Welcome from another recent member. Nice plan!

And Congrats on the upcoming wedding. :g&t:

Sea Gull
03-27-2013, 09:48
Welcome from the Kingdom of Holland, Nate. Sounds like a good plan, the wedding :girlie: and the purchases. :clap::g&t:

7eat51
03-27-2013, 09:49
Welcome aboard Nate.

I am from the Southside. And you? Nice to see another Chicagoan onboard.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding. I am a 19 year veteran - best decision I ever made.

Eldil
03-27-2013, 09:53
Welcome aboard Nate.

I am from the Southside. And you? Nice to see another Chicagoan onboard.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding. I am a 19 year veteran - best decision I ever made.

I live on the North side, uptown (near Broadway and Montrose).

Is there a game store you frequent? I'm often at Cat and Mouse Games; maybe we could meet up to play a game sometime.

7eat51
03-27-2013, 12:49
On the NW corner of Montrose and Clark is an Italian restaurant run by two sisters from our hometown in Italy. Well worth the trip. I spent a lot of time in Uptown, especially before gentrification.

We moved to central Illinois - Bloomington - where I teach. Our families are spread throughout the Southside (Taylor St., Ashburn, Gage Park, and Chinatown), and some in the burbs, but we don't like to think about that often. I mean, they're still family you know. We are home often, and a lot of times we are home to eat and grocery shop. I spent a couple of years of my life - if you add all the time together - at Rezas on Berwyn and Clark. I will let you know when we're home for a few days and have time to connect, or if we're in for a day to run around, which most often has us on the Northside - Lincoln Square, Andersonville, etc.

Sea Gull
03-27-2013, 13:33
Sorry for butting in. :please: Is that Andersonville the same one as that famous civil war prison?
* He asks afraid he's showing his complete lack of ACW knowledge and geography. :embarass:*

7eat51
03-27-2013, 13:55
Sorry for butting in. :please: Is that Andersonville the same one as that famous civil war prison?
* He asks afraid he's showing his complete lack of ACW knowledge and geography. :embarass:*

I doubt it given the neighborhood's development prior to the ACW. I would assume it has more to due with the Swedish settlers of that area in Chicago:
http://www.andersonville.org/history

Your complete lack of knowledge concerning the ACW would probably qualify you for a high school diploma. I know very few college students that have any idea of U.S. history. Chances are, Chris, you know more than many here.

Sea Gull
03-27-2013, 14:07
I doubt it given the neighborhood's development prior to the ACW. I would assume it has more to due with the Swedish settlers of that area in Chicago:
http://www.andersonville.org/history

Your complete lack of knowledge concerning the ACW would probably qualify you for a high school diploma. I know very few college students that have any idea of U.S. history. Chances are, Chris, you know more than many here.

Eric,
I fear that is not unique to the US. In Britain there seems to be the belief that history isn't important. Anything involving killing and fighting is to be avoided as not politically correct. Over here in Holland I'm not so sure. My daughter is taught history at her school, but she's only 9 years old so it's very basic and misses out some essentials. When she told me that they'd done WW2 I was surprised. I asked her what they covered and it consisted of the German invasion of May 1940 and Anne Frank. Hopefully when she goes to the next school the history will have a bit more depth to it. At the moment I'm glad they're getting something.

When I was at school history was my favourite subject. :happy:

7eat51
03-27-2013, 14:19
I fear what a lack of historical knowledge will result in. Here in the U.S., what seems important, in my opinion and I stress this is my opinion, is feeling happy, not being offended, assuming that everyone is inherently good, and ensuring everyone gets a trophy. Unfortunately, reality didn't get the memo.

One great source of history growing up was wargames, especially AH and SPI.

Sorry Nate. No more hijacking what should be an announcement of your arrival.

Gunner
03-28-2013, 16:30
Hi Nate. Welcome from Arizona. Go Cubs.(sorry, south side Eric):beer:

Berthier
03-29-2013, 03:21
Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding and your joining us here. I'm not sure wedlock will save you from impressment:happy:

Coog
03-29-2013, 06:12
Welcome aboard Nate!

Green flash
03-30-2013, 15:18
Welcome aboard,enjoy

Cmmdre
03-30-2013, 18:58
Welcome aboard.