PDA

View Full Version : On this day 26 March

7eat51
03-26-2013, 12:13
On the 26th of March 1806, the HMS Pique, formally the French ship Pallas, captured the French brigs Phaéton and Voltigeur. While sailing from Santo Domingo to Curacoa, Captain Charles B.H. Ross ordered the British 36-gun fifth rate to fire upon the French sister-ships at long range. During the next hour, he was able to close on the French 16-gunners, and at 2 p.m. begin a close-range cannon fight. After 20 minutes of intensive firing by both sides, the Pique sent a boarding party to the Phaéton, which was under the command of Lieutenant de vaisseau Louis-Henri Saulces de Freycinet. The French crew hid among the ship’s wreckage and sails, and when the boarding party arrived, they unleashed a rain of small-arm fire that killed nine and wounded 13. Ross responded by sending more men, resulting in a French surrender. He proceeded to chase the Voltigeur, which was under the command of Lieutenant de vaisseau Jacques Saint-Cricq (M. St. Craig). After a brief exchange of cannon fire, the Voltigeur surrendered. The British took both ships into service, renaming them as the Mignonne and Pelican respectively.

For more information on today's event:
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/15927/pages/731
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_brig_Phaeton_(1804)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_brig_Voltigeur_(1804)

Beowulf03809
03-26-2013, 12:59
That's a cool write up. Almost perfect scenario material when the smaller ships are available.

7eat51
03-26-2013, 23:54
I'm finding that so many of these daily events would make for good scenarios. Once we know more about the game mechanics and playing suffices, etc., it would be nice to start designing and compiling scenarios.

Berthier
03-27-2013, 03:15
Oh this is a good one Eric! The name rang a distant bell in my memory the connection being the family was quite naval and Louis-Claude and Louis-Henri (became an Admiral) explored the coastline of Australia with Baudin's expedition. See the link below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_de_Freycinet

7eat51
03-27-2013, 06:43
Oh this is a good one Eric! The name rang a distant bell in my memory the connection being the family was quite naval and Louis-Claude and Louis-Henri (became an Admiral) explored the coastline of Australia with Baudin's expedition. See the link below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_de_Freycinet

I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I found this out the hard way, a bit. As I was going through different articles, the names of the two gents were so close, at first I would be reading thinking I am reading about the commander of the ship in question, only to realize I was reading about Louis-Claude. I couldn't understand why there was no mention of the battle. With such a long name, I missed the switch from Henri to Claude. In the end, I learned more than I set out to learn. :happy:

Sea Gull
03-27-2013, 10:22
I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I found this out the hard way, a bit. As I was going through different articles, the names of the two gents were so close, at first I would be reading thinking I am reading about the commander of the ship in question, only to realize I was reading about Louis-Claude. I couldn't understand why there was no mention of the battle. With such a long name, I missed the switch from Henri to Claude. In the end, I learned more than I set out to learn. :happy:

So at least that was time well spent. :happy:

7eat51
03-27-2013, 12:53
It has been. Doing these has been like taking a history course. Very enjoyable, very informative, and a chance to give something to folks here.

Sea Gull
03-27-2013, 13:35
Glad to hear it. Don't stop just yet, though what you're going to do once the full year is done is anyone's guess. :happy:

7eat51
03-27-2013, 17:02
Glad to hear it. Don't stop just yet, though what you're going to do once the full year is done is anyone's guess. :happy:

As long as folks don't start requesting that I am banned from the Anchorage for these, I hope to complete the year. After that, I think it would be a great project for someone to pick up. Not only is it an opportunity to learn, bit by bit, but others can discuss events I didn't cover, or add to events I did. In the future, new members will be joining, and often they won't know about previous threads and posts. To revisit topics, therefore, can be a good thing.

Volunteer
03-28-2013, 00:42
Not to worry Eric. There are so many actions and events during the age of sail that it will take years to cover them all.

Jack Aubrey
03-28-2013, 01:45
Eric, it is a great work, like we expect it from you meanwhile, thanks. And I whish all you guys happy Easterdays !. I`ll be back next week. See you :happy:

Sea Gull
03-28-2013, 01:51
Eric, it is a great work, like we expect it from you meanwhile, thanks. And I whish all you guys happy Easterdays !. I`ll be back next week. See you :happy:

Have a good easter then Ulrich. At least your avatar will stay the same for at least a week. :happy: