PDA

View Full Version : Reasonably priced era uniforms?

Andy Blozinski
03-24-2013, 21:56
Anybody know of a source to get a reasonably priced Captain's uniform tunic for the age of sail? I know the officer's military uniforms of the era tended to be a little more complicated than current style uniforms, so I'd consider $100-$150 not bad, but not be surprised if they were twice that for a good one.

Sea Gull
03-25-2013, 09:41
Depends on the level of accuracy you require from the jacket, the nation the captain serves and his level of 'seniority' I guess.

I've seen re-enactment grade jackets cost between 300-600 pounds depending if it's a post captain or not. I've seen museum quality stuff @ $1450 (2 weeks work all hand made wool $100 per metre). If you only want to wear it for gaming, then it may be worth while looking at costume hire companies.

Cheers
Chris

BonhommeRichard
03-25-2013, 12:58
that would be interesting everybody at the games wearing the period attaire for the rank they are on the anchorage

David Manley
03-25-2013, 13:22
that would be interesting everybody at the games wearing the period attaire for the rank they are on the anchorage

There was a chap on the UK wargames circuit a few years back who ran parti games whilst wearing period costume. Quite eye catching!

csadn
03-25-2013, 13:57
Anybody know of a source to get a reasonably priced Captain's uniform tunic for the age of sail? I know the officer's military uniforms of the era tended to be a little more complicated than current style uniforms, so I'd consider $100-$150 not bad, but not be surprised if they were twice that for a good one.

Which Navy?

http://dresslikeapirate.com/scart/ -- one might be able to put something together starting from here.

Blackrose
03-25-2013, 16:31
I helped a friend run a AWI game once in my Jaeger Uniform:
Karl

Sea Gull
03-25-2013, 16:54
I've done WW2 gaming in a German uniform and only once a Napoleonic game in a Fusilier uniform. Too be honest, the Napoleonic game was THE most uncomfortable game I'd ever played. The style of the uniform - tight sleeves, high collar buttoned up, cross belts with equipment hanging off them and a bloody shako - meant you had to be extremely careful when moving the figures. We could hardly reach the middle of the table. :sad: And one guy leant over a bit too far and his shako fell off onto a grand battery. :hmmm:

So, thinking more about this, I'd say if you go down this route choose something more in the props line. Something good enough for TV/Film not for reenactment. It just has to look the part, a bit like the models. It doesn't have to be the part.:talk::happy:

Cheers
Chris

7eat51
03-25-2013, 18:19
I've done WW2 gaming in a German uniform and only once a Napoleonic game in a Fusilier uniform.

Please tell me you don't play a sumo wrestling game.

Sea Gull
03-26-2013, 02:25
Please tell me you don't play a sumo wrestling game.

Not Sumo wrestling, no. Of course there once was that Tarzan game ... :shock:

Jack Aubrey
03-26-2013, 06:34
That`s better as a spiderman game.
Spiderman, a man who produce a white and pasty fluid doing some exercise with his wrist......:erk::hmmm:
we say "ganz großes Kino" great cinema...
:happy: