PDA

View Full Version : Rorys Harbour and ships

Devsdoc
03-22-2013, 20:57
I have been asked to moved my pics to this new thread. It shows my harbour (and some of my Russian ships). Also two pics of my British and French fleets. I hope you all like them!2691269226932694269526962697

7eat51
03-22-2013, 20:59
One question - can I come over and play?

Absolutely beautiful work.

Volunteer
03-22-2013, 22:18
Excellent Rory! More, more, show us more!

Berthier
03-23-2013, 01:02
Inspiring stuff. Need one for myself so my French fleet can sit there doing nothing for year after year.

Jack Aubrey
03-23-2013, 01:36
One question - can I come over and play?

Absolutely beautiful work.

Eric, I come with, super !!!:happy:

Horatio
03-23-2013, 03:00
Great looking models.
Do you ever take them to shows, would like to see them in the flesh.
Don

The Royal Hajj
03-23-2013, 04:12
Very nice indeed!

Green flash
03-23-2013, 05:25
Beautiful work.:salute:

Coog
03-23-2013, 06:56
Excellent job on the ship models and port!

Volunteer
03-23-2013, 11:12
Great looking models.
Do you ever take them to shows, would like to see them in the flesh.
Don

Don, you and Rory are practically neighbors. Somerset and Dorset are what, 50-60 miles apart? Just a short hour drive. Play on!

Sea Gull
03-23-2013, 15:41
Magnificent. Picture like these should come with a health warning. :envy::shock::hatsoff:

Devsdoc
03-23-2013, 19:15
Hi Guys,
Thank you for your kinds words about my models. I must say that I like my harbour very much, but my ships are not so good (like Vols). If you look closely at my ships they are not so good. Not as sharpely painted (again like Vols) as they could be. LOOK!
O.K. as you can see they are not so "hot" close to. But as a fleet on the wargame table with a little time and some string they can and do look alright. Look what I'm trying to say is, have a go they may not be the best on their own but as a fleet. Wargamers will love to look at and play with them. I have no photo's of my Russain ship only the ones with the harbour. They are a little better, but that is after the Br & Fr ships. HAVE A GO YOURSELF and see
Be safe
Rory

Sea Gull
03-24-2013, 07:12
Rory, if these are not hot, then mine are somewhere below absolute zero. :dazed: Which as you can imagine is some achievement. :wink:

However, inspired by Vol, Whitejamest, yourself and everyone else who's posted photos of their work here, I've decided to have another go. This is about 25 years after my previous attempt finished with my taking a hammer to the metal. :embarass: If everything goes according to plan (as if that's going to happen) then it should be ready by the end of the month. The hammer is close at hand though, just in case. You understand how it is.:question: :g&t::happy:

Chris

7eat51
03-24-2013, 13:23
I, too, am planning on having a go. What I am very thankful for is folks like yourself and others here to whom we can turn for advice.

Whitejamest
03-24-2013, 16:47
This is an awesome setup Rory, you guys are really making me jealous with your fantastic terrain pieces! - James

Devsdoc
03-24-2013, 19:09
Chris, Eric,
No matter how bad you think YOUR SHIPS are painted. They are YOUR SHIPS, not somebody's else's model that you have paid for. Gamers WILL love/like YOUR SHIPS. I would say start with a 74 3rd rate. they are the biggest class of ship so as you get better your frist ships will be lost in the crowd. Also do your frist ships with closed port lids. Do try standing rigging at lest. It makes the ship look good and stronger. Tip, drill holes for rigging before painting and keep holes open with a pin after each layer of paint. Do not think you need S.O.G. they need you. Sorry! I,M angry. I have just come off the Yahoo Groups. But still have a go.
Be Safe (May your lines be straight. If not! next time they wil be straigther)
Rory

Volunteer
03-25-2013, 01:22
Rory your ships are gorgeous. I don't know why you depecate yourself with comparisons with me and James. You are every bit as good as we are. Your ships and terrain puts us to shame. So stop the comparisons please. Just post your work so we can all enjoy it and be inspired by it!

Beowulf03809
03-25-2013, 08:04
I think the ships look very good, especially at the 'fleet view' images. I am happy with the miniatures I have painted and think at gaming distances, or even just arm's length, they look very good. I know others paint far better than me but I'm very proud of what I do paint, my progress from model to model, etc. But even my best work, if zoomed in close enough, is flawed. Very few people posses the skill to paint a model of such scale to a level that it holds up that close and those people should be admired for it and even seen as inspiration, but you shouldn't measure yourself against them.

Your harbor is beautiful. I find realistic terrain to be one of the most engaging aspects of miniature gaming and that is a brilliant example.

Devsdoc
03-25-2013, 15:00
Thanks Vol,
I think Lawrence is right. I will stop measureing myself to you and James. Have you seen Charlie's SMALL SHIP? his FIRST SHIP! I'm going to watch that thread. He is going to gave you two a run for your money. Come on Lawrence I've shown you mine! Lets see yours. Please make me feel better. A man like me, not the Gods:drinks::embarass:
Be safe,
Rory

Beowulf03809
03-26-2013, 08:19
...Come on Lawrence I've shown you mine! Lets see yours. Please make me feel better. A man like me, not the Gods:drinks::embarass:

I haven't done any work on mini ships yet. SoG will be my first though I intend to do some custom work on them as I'm a tweaker.

I have a little site called Tactics In Miniature (http://tacticsinminiature.com/) where some of my models are pictured. The LotR stuff is 25mm but the FoW is 15mm. This is basically between 1/105 and 1/110.

2737 (http://tacticsinminiature.com/images/fow_models/axis/german/platoons/pk40_team3.jpg)

A little more of the "insanity" scale, especially for someone like myself with some vision issues and not the most steady hands. I accept my limitations but still strive for doing the best I can. I will have to see what the SoG ships are like when they arrive. I look forward to opportunities for adding details, weathering, etc. I may start picking up actual models down the road as well, especially if someone starts producing some 1/1200 scale ones.

7eat51
03-26-2013, 12:21
I have a little site called Tactics In Miniature (http://tacticsinminiature.com/) where some of my models are pictured. The LotR stuff is 25mm but the FoW is 15mm.

Nice site, pictures, and mini work. LotR and FoW. Now SoG. I think if we're ever in your neck-of-the-woods, we'll need to visit.

BonhommeRichard
03-26-2013, 15:06
i love your pictures and i think you have helped me decide to go ahead and try my hand at rigging

Devsdoc
03-26-2013, 17:30
Lawrence,
Love the work. I think you could and will add to the models you get, and say s#d it and buy ships outside S.O.G. You can go off people you know!:envy::drinks:
Be safe
Rory
Travis,
I use thread that you buy from a haberdashery (Big word for Little things). I use Langtons book "Guide to Painting and rigging 1/1200 Napoleonic Ships". One of the most helpful books I have. I think it would also work on the 1/1100 models too. Tip:- Do not use cotton thread.
Be safe
Rory

Devsdoc
03-26-2013, 19:13
I have just been to my modeling box and seen my 1st rate Russian ship waiting to be finished. I only have to do the running rigging and base her. You lot are bad for me and stop me doing my ships:hmmm:So I maybe off line for a evening or two. Some of you my go :happy:. but I must get on with her:hmmm:
Be safe
Rory

7eat51
03-26-2013, 20:56
I use thread that you buy from a haberdashery (Big word for Little things). I use Langtons book "Guide to Painting and rigging 1/1200 Napoleonic Ships". One of the most helpful books I have. I think it would also work on the 1/1100 models too. Tip:- Do not use cotton thread.

Thanks for the pointers.

I have just been to my modeling box and seen my 1st rate Russian ship waiting to be finished. I only have to do the running rigging and base her. You lot are bad for me and stop me doing my ships:hmmm:So I maybe off line for a evening or two. Some of you my go :happy:. but I must get on with her:hmmm:
Be safe
Rory

Can't wait to see her.

Sea Gull
03-27-2013, 04:55
Photos please once she's finished, Rory. :happy:

Comte de Brueys
03-27-2013, 06:56
Great work, Rory. :salute:

I really like the half sunk ship models.:happy:

...and I'm happy that the SoG ships are prepainted.

Inspiring stuff. Need one for myself so my French fleet can sit there doing nothing for year after year.

Yeah Daniel, make a reservation at the pier for my French first rate, too. :dazed:

Sea Gull
03-27-2013, 10:00
I'm sure we can come up with a scenario loosely based on Hornblower's taking of The Witch of Endor and the subsequent sea chase. :sly:

Volunteer
03-28-2013, 01:19
I started with cotton thread (mistake). Then went to horse hair (better but very brittle and stiff). Then I tried thin, coated bead wire (.010 & .008 Firewire brand. Very good but only comes in smoke and grey). Then I tried monofilament fishing line 3lb test. (this is great but you have to paint it after rigging, very tedious.) Now I have landed back on thread and wax it before applying, like the larger wooden ship modelers. This is working the best for me.

David Manley
03-28-2013, 01:38
>I use Langtons book "Guide to Painting and rigging 1/1200 Napoleonic Ships". One of the most helpful books I have.

More on Rod's excellent book here. Well worth the cost of a model ship, IMHO. Since Rod's models are in many ways the inspiration for the SOG models through the styling used it would be nice if he picked up a bit of business from this :)

http://rodlangton.com/index-2.html
http://rodlangton.com/napoleonic/booklet.htm

7eat51
03-28-2013, 09:57
More on Rod's excellent book here. Well worth the cost of a model ship, IMHO. Since Rod's models are in many ways the inspiration for the SOG models through the styling used it would be nice if he picked up a bit of business from this :)

Thanks for the link and confirmation on the book. Will order it with my first order of models.

Sea Gull
03-28-2013, 12:23
I'll order the book, or see if I can pick it up at Triples. I'll also get some of the buildings. Having seen Rory's harbour I fancy having something to shoot at that doesn't move. Plus you don't have to worry about rigging the things. :sly:

7eat51
03-28-2013, 12:24
Plus you don't have to worry about rigging the things. :sly:

Unless with explosives.

That would make for an interesting scenario for a shore party.

Sea Gull
03-28-2013, 12:36
A sort of Napoleonic version of The Guns of Navaronne. :happy:

Devsdoc
03-28-2013, 17:47
Hi All,
Finished "Gavriil" 100 gun 1st rate Russian ship (Langtons). He does not know it, but I love him:erk::hmmm::shock:. Thank you David for putting on the on-line stuff about him:salute:. In my eyes he's the man. I must steal my sister's camera again so I can take some photo's of my Russian fleet (so far).I have one more Russian 32 gun frigate to make, than I must buy some more ships.
Eric, Chris the book is a real help and I think would work on most models (incuding S.O.G. models if you drill some holes first). I do not know, but would Langtons rat lines work on S.O.G. ships? I must always cut the rat lines shorter to fit them on Langtons ships?.
Chris plan your harbour/town before you buy. The size of each piece is written on the list. For folks who wish to do a town, in Europe streets/roads are very much narrower than in the "new world". I used a steel plate for the sea in the harbour and stuck the parts for the harbour on the steel plate.
The town is stuck onto hard board, Which is about the same thickness as the steel plate and dockside floor/ground.
The two parts marry together O.K.
To finish to model off I used very hard foam blocks stuck onto hard board and modeled.
All the models are Langtons, His "City Harbour Set" RB23 with added Docksides RB17, Harbour Wall, RB19, to make one arm longer, Harbour walls RB20 (and gate way M35) for internal walls, Slipway & Dry Dock Set RB25, Lighthouse M36x2, and lots of Dock and Town buildings. I used the older Keep model to give the harbour (Its been around a long time) look. Hope this all helps a little
Be safe
Rory

7eat51
03-28-2013, 23:11
Great stuff Rory.

How heavy are the different parts?

Sea Gull
03-29-2013, 09:25
Excellent stuff Rory. Unfortunately my main M.O. seems to be "Ooh, shiny. Two please." :erk: Ended up with some very strange combinations doing that, but at the time I was happy.

I obviously should decide at the beginning where the town/harbour is going to be located, Northern/Westeern Euorpe? the Med? North Africa? South America? Or do I try and make it a sort of generic place that in a push will do for anywhere, but would limit the style of buildings. Decisions, decisions. Especially not having had the opportunity to see them in the flesh, so to speak. Hopefully they'l lbe someone at Triples with them.:pray:

BonhommeRichard
03-29-2013, 15:16
excellent i am learning so much as a new modeler from all of you guys thank you very much

Devsdoc
03-29-2013, 15:23
Great stuff Rory.

Eric,
For its size the town is the heaviest. It has both metal and resin buildings, you could make it lighter just useing resin models. But that would limit the type of buildings you can use. Also as it is on the edge of the board the weight keeps it safer and lessens the chance of it moving (off the board:erk:). The steel plate is heavy, but not for it's size. I could have made it in 3 pieces:- harbour and the 2 harbour arms. But I think it looks better as one pieces. The shore line is so light I wish it was a bit heavier. Hope this helps.
Be safe
Rory

Devsdoc
03-29-2013, 16:17
Excellent stuff Rory. Unfortunately my main M.O. seems to be "Ooh, shiny. Two please." :erk: Ended up with some very strange combinations doing that, but at the time I was happy.

I obviously should decide at the beginning where the town/harbour is going to be located, Northern/Westeern Euorpe? the Med? North Africa? South America? Or do I try and make it a sort of generic place that in a push will do for anywhere, but would limit the style of buildings. Decisions, decisions. Especially not having had the opportunity to see them in the flesh, so to speak. Hopefully they'l lbe someone at Triples with them.:pray:
Sorry Chris
But my I.T. skills will not let me answer 2 posting as one. First things first Discipline dear boy discipline! :erk::happy:. Langtons buildings are classed as "Generic" but where made for a 8ft x 4ft diorama of Toulon, France 1793, built in 1993. The diorama was not sold or given away. I was lucky to see a photo of it. Rod Langton told me last year that only one or two small pieces are left, it took up to much room he said :sad::shock: :cry:. but it left us with the molds for us to use for the "Sons of Toulon". Rod does make some named buildings (See Davids post on this thread #30). I would make it "generic" it will be more useful to you.
Be safe
Rory

P.S.
Thanks Travis I have not stopped learning too

7eat51
03-29-2013, 19:41
But my I.T. skills will not let me answer 2 posting as one.

Rory, I am not sure if this is what you're referring to, but if you click the far right button under different posts (quotation marks with a plus sign), and the last post you want to include with the "Reply with Quote", all of them will show up. You can then type your answers accordingly. If I totally missed the mark (or should I say boat), please ignore me.

Devsdoc
03-29-2013, 20:23
Rory, I am not sure if this is what you're referring to, but if you click the far right button under different posts (quotation marks with a plus sign), and the last post you want to include with the "Reply with Quote", all of them will show up. You can then type your answers accordingly. If I totally missed the mark (or should I say boat), please ignore me.

Great stuff Rory.

Eric,
No no! you have no idea how bad I'm at with all this I.T. stuff. You and members have helped me so much. You can only thank you. Two weeks ago I had only a little idea of how to download a photo into this site. Now I can and do 2 plus Qutes now (If I can Find "Q" in under 1/2 hour). A big Thank you
Be safe
Rory

7eat51
03-29-2013, 21:44
Eric,
No no! you have no idea how bad I'm at with all this I.T. stuff. You and members have helped me so much. You can only thank you. Two weeks ago I had only a little idea of how to download a photo into this site. Now I can and do 2 plus Qutes now (If I can Find "Q" in under 1/2 hour). A big Thank you
Be safe
Rory

Rory, I think I have a very good idea. The first time I brought my laptop to class, my students started laughing. I'm somewhere around 1970s technology, and music for that matter. Now, where are those punch cards?

Devsdoc
03-29-2013, 23:40
Rory, I think I have a very good idea. The first time I brought my laptop to class, my students started laughing. I'm somewhere around 1970s technology, and music for that matter. Now, where are those punch cards?

Eric,
Given me quill and ink. I can make both.
Be safe
Rory

Berthier
03-30-2013, 00:18
I can remember punch cards and Fortran and Basic and C and Pascal too...gods that makes me feel old! And no I'm not in the computer industry, lasted a year of Comp Sci and thought the technology of punch cards was too limiting so dropped it...well you have to have a few mistakes in life.

David Manley
03-30-2013, 00:42
Now, where are those punch cards?

SWMBO and I once spent a very enjoyable week making a 15mm model coaching inn** using the little rectangles from punched cards as bricks stuck on the card wall of the building. Happy days, to think those days of punched card bricking are gone forever :)

**now one of the centrepieces of my 15mm ECW terrain collection

Berthier
03-30-2013, 01:17
SWMBO and I once spent a very enjoyable week making a 15mm model coaching inn** using the little rectangles from punched cards as bricks stuck on the card wall of the building. Happy days, to think those days of punched card bricking are gone forever :)

The ultimate recycling effort. Bravo!

David Manley
03-30-2013, 01:55
The ultimate recycling effort. Bravo!

After that Wifey realised what a monster we'd unleashed, as I'd look at all sorts of packaging and other bits of rubbish with a view as to what they could be used for. For example, expanded polystyrene and plastic fruit and meat packaging can make great roof tiles, plastic packaging bands can be cut into strips to make industrial walkways, aerosol can tops became oil storage tanks for my AK-47 terrain (with offcuts from some home plumbing projects forming the pipelines) and I made a whole fleet of starships for "Full Thrust" out of bits and pieces (plastic spoons make excellent starship bridges and hulls!). Then there was the 15mm shuttle for my SF collection made from a deodorant stick.....

Once you get into the idea of recycling materials for modelling you enver look at apiece of rubbish the same way. You'll always be thinking "what can I turn that into?" :)

Volunteer
03-30-2013, 02:42
I have drawers of junk just for that purpose David. My wife keeps threatening to throw it all away and I tell her that would be grounds for divorce........then she plays the "Man Song" for me again.....Damn!

7eat51
03-30-2013, 05:42
I can remember punch cards and Fortran and Basic and C and Pascal too...gods that makes me feel old! And no I'm not in the computer industry, lasted a year of Comp Sci and thought the technology of punch cards was too limiting so dropped it...well you have to have a few mistakes in life.

Had the same experience with video games. We were outside playing - yes, outside playing - when one of the guys' parents bought him Pong. We went inside to play it, and after 10 minutes or so, we went back outside thinking, "Who would ever want to play video games?"

**now one of the centrepieces of my 15mm ECW terrain collection

Awesome. Is there any chance of a picture lying around somewhere?

After that Wifey realised what a monster we'd unleashed, as I'd look at all sorts of packaging and other bits of rubbish with a view as to what they could be used for. For example, expanded polystyrene and plastic fruit and meat packaging can make great roof tiles, plastic packaging bands can be cut into strips to make industrial walkways, aerosol can tops became oil storage tanks for my AK-47 terrain (with offcuts from some home plumbing projects forming the pipelines) and I made a whole fleet of starships for "Full Thrust" out of bits and pieces (plastic spoons make excellent starship bridges and hulls!). Then there was the 15mm shuttle for my SF collection made from a deodorant stick.....

Once you get into the idea of recycling materials for modelling you enver look at apiece of rubbish the same way. You'll always be thinking "what can I turn that into?" :)

Exact opposite problem here. A couple buddies and I rewired our house, and my wife saw all this copper wire lying around. She started to make jewelry out of it. Now she collects everything, everything, everything. I have to admit, though, her stuff is beautiful and she now has a small business.

Fellows, fortunately we were raised in an era when we were told to use our imagination.

Berthier
03-30-2013, 05:59
Imagination, I think I had one once but then I think I didn't. Perhaps I imagined it.

Cmmdre
03-30-2013, 07:22
I have a garage stuffed to the rafters with foam and wood bits waiting to be converted into buildings and landscapes. Unfortunately I don't have a space in which to do it. The garage isn't set up to have a shop of any kind. No electricity, drafty with broken windows. The wife thinks I'm as mad as the Hatter. One day I'll get to all these projects I've been dreaming of. Ah... imagination.

Devsdoc
03-30-2013, 09:09
Fellows, fortunately we were raised in an era when we were told to use our imagination.

And now we wait for a game like kids wait for Christmas, that is pre-made, pre-painted and can play straight from the box!:question: Its all wrong somehow:hmmm:
Be safe
rory

Beowulf03809
03-30-2013, 12:12
...and I made a whole fleet of starships for "Full Thrust" out of bits and pieces (plastic spoons make excellent starship bridges and hulls!)...

I would love to see a pic of those if you still have one! I love Full Thrust but got into it when I couldn't afford the metal ships. I still have the FT/More Thrust books and have thought of mocking up some of my own ships to play. Your fleet sounds fun and creative.

Agreed! :salute:

And now we wait for a game like kids wait for Christmas, that is pre-made, pre-painted and can play straight from the box!:question: Its all wrong somehow:hmmm:

Yes, but some of us still want to get our hands on the models to see what can be 'improved' and I am planning on making some of my own land masses (including ports and forts) once I have the rules, sample Terrain Packs and models in hand to really understand scale. Just because we can play out of the box doesn't mean we have to leave our imagination sitting in one. :rum:

7eat51
03-30-2013, 17:26
Be safe
rory

At least we can make up scenarios, etc. When I was a kid, I could take a handful of army men and a couch and play for hours.

David, my wife lit up when I mentioned your building using punch card chits. I saw the wheels turning.

Devsdoc
03-30-2013, 19:24
At least we can make up scenarios, etc. When I was a kid, I could take a handful of army men and a couch and play for hours.

David, my wife lit up when I mentioned your building using punch card chits. I saw the wheels turning.

Yes, but some of us still want to get our hands on the models to see what can be 'improved' and I am planning on making some of my own land masses (including ports and forts) once I have the rules, sample Terrain Packs and models in hand to really understand scale. Just because we can play out of the box doesn't mean we have to leave our imagination sitting in :

You are both men from my side of the force:drinks: For me it was a stone fire-place Eric.
Be safe
Rory

Berthier
03-30-2013, 19:31

And for me it was the lounge room floor with Timpo knights and marbles...wish I'd kept all those 54mm swoppets!

Devsdoc
03-30-2013, 20:32
Oh my God Daniel,
Do you take me back in time and to my old fire-place:thanks:
Be safe
Rory

Sea Gull
03-31-2013, 11:38
Mine were the cowboys and indians. :embarass: And then it was the Airfix 1/32 scale coloured plastics. Germans were grey, Afrika Korps an off yellow, Russian were brown. A few boxes and immediately playing in the garden. those were the days. :happy:

7eat51
03-31-2013, 14:44
I had a lot of WWII - Americans Germans (even ski troops), French etc. They were probably 1/32 scale, though at the time I didn't pay that much attention - I knew the difference between the big guys and the 1/72 box of 40 or so at $1.00. I also had Napoleonics, again probably 1/32. All of the 1/32s had very good detail, so did the 1/72s. I think out of all my childhood toys, the army men are the ones I regret the most not keeping. To this day, whenever I am somewhere, I think, "If I had 10 men to defend this room, where would I deploy them?" I also tend to set up whatever coinage I have in my pocket on the dining room table, sometimes behind papers, etc. And I am not one bit ashamed.

Devsdoc
03-31-2013, 17:07
The Russians are Comming
My sister is now camera-less. So here is "Gavriil" 100 gun 3 decker.

My very small Russian "High sea fleet"

As well as "Gavriil" it has 2 74's "Laroslav" & "Moskva"

2 66's "Azlla" & "Pobeda"

And 2 4th rater's "Krepkii"54 & "Nazaret" 44

I wish to add 6 more ships and hopefully a wreck to this fleet. Sorry for comming off thread for the pic's, but I was asked it do so.
Be safe
Rory

Berthier
03-31-2013, 17:28
Fantastic fleet and really nice to see ships from Russia

Cmmdre
03-31-2013, 17:33
Impressive fleet. Your work is top-notch. Inspirational.

Beowulf03809
04-01-2013, 07:42
Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

csadn
04-01-2013, 18:05
Need to get a copy of that book....

Devsdoc
04-01-2013, 19:25
Need to get a copy of that book....

Chris,
It's "Russian Warships in the age of sail 1696-1860. Design, Construction, Careers and Fates". By John Tredrea & Eduard Sozaev. Seaforth Publishing. www.seaforthpublishing.com
ISBN978-1-84832-058-1. Now for the hard part, R.R.P. £50-00 / $85-00. Got mine for my brithday.
Be safe
Rory

Volunteer
04-01-2013, 23:52
Rory,
I've said it privately and I'll say it here, your Russian fleet is beautiful. You are a master modeler sir.

7eat51
04-02-2013, 05:48
Very nice indeed.

Seeing these makes me look forward, even more, to future expansions of SoG. I hope we'll see growth beyond British, French, and American ships.

Berthier
04-02-2013, 05:56
Rory I really like your rigging, have you used three different colours for the rig? Black for standing and two different threads for running or is that an artifact of the photos?

Devsdoc
04-02-2013, 18:35
Hi All
Have a bad night this is the 3rd go at this posting:angry:. 3rd time lucky!

Very nice indeed.

Seeing these makes me look forward, even more, to future expansions of SoG. I hope we'll see growth beyond British, French, and American ships.

Hi Eric'
For me, as long as Rod makes model ships I'm O.K. But For alot of gamers I hope so:pray: I think there must at least be some Spanish ships to come:question:. As for the rest:hmmm: Russian, Swedish or Dutch/Batavian fleets I can not see them comming out in the next year or two:sad:
Be safe
Rory

Rory I really like your rigging, have you used three different colours for the rig? Black for standing and two different threads for running or is that an artifact of the photos?

Oh! Daniel,
I'm sorry it's the photo. I only use only Polyester thread (see Vol's post on this thread#29). From the base of Bowsprit to the fighting top of the Main Mast I use a thicker black sewing thread. For the rest of the standing rigging I use a thinner black Embroidery thread. The running rigging again I use Embroidery thread but this time use light-brown/gold coloured thread. Running rigging is not tared like Standing rigging, but I think would get dirty. White/'cream I think would be to light and brown to dark, to like the Standing rigging. Unlike Vol I do not use the wax bit, but do dip the end of the thread in super glue to make it hard. so will go throu the holes and around the mains and sails easier. The I think the must have is Rod Langton's book on Painting & Rigging Napoleonic Ships (See David's post on this thread #30) Hope this helps?
Be safe
Rory

7eat51
04-02-2013, 20:23
Rory, I know you're right about SoG. I imagine seeing other navies is years away. It would be great to see Spanish, Anglo-Dutch, Golden Age of Pirates, etc.

GMT has an expansion for Flying Colors that focuses on Russian and Swedish fleets. When that comes out, I will have a least something to scratch that itch.

Who knows, if my attempt at modeling doesn't result in my having a fleet of damaged and sinking ships, I might be able to build some fleets like you folks.

Beowulf03809
04-03-2013, 06:27
Who knows, if my attempt at modeling doesn't result in my having a fleet of damaged and sinking ships, I might be able to build some fleets like you folks.

That's my spirit too! :rum:

Devsdoc
04-03-2013, 13:47
Rory, I know you're right about SoG. I imagine seeing other navies is years away. It would be great to see Spanish, Anglo-Dutch, Golden Age of Pirates, etc.

GMT has an expansion for Flying Colors that focuses on Russian and Swedish fleets. When that comes out, I will have a least something to scratch that itch.

That's my spirit too! :rum:

Guy's,
Have a go! You maybe have a step-up! You could start with a little painting or touching-up of the SOG models. Then try a little standing rigging, SOG ships are a little bigger, so easier to drill and work with. I think Langtons rat-line MAY fit SOG ships. If you add a line or two of paint and/or some thread. Not saying SOG ships are not good, but the add-ons make them your ships. You will then understand how I feel about my ships.
Be safe
Rory

7eat51
04-03-2013, 13:54
Already planning on it, Rory. I've already gotten a sense of ownership from reading posts here and on the 'Drome. Seeing what you folks do has inspired some of us to try our hand. For me, I will do so over the summer when I have more time.

I have a feeling my SoG ships will be modified.

Devsdoc
04-03-2013, 14:21
Already planning on it, Rory. I've already gotten a sense of ownership from reading posts here and on the 'Drome. Seeing what you folks do has inspired some of us to try our hand. For me, I will do so over the summer when I have more time.

I have a feeling my SoG ships will be modified.

Eric,
If I can help, just call. Offer open to the end of the year. Can be extended by using the pass-word "Rory, can you help!":salute:
Be safe
Rory

The Barrelman
04-05-2013, 21:15
I just want to say that these photos are amazing. I would love to see something that good in person one day. Maybe at a convention or a trade show.

:salute:

Nightmoss
04-11-2013, 17:20
Awesome harbor, awesome fleet. Your work is certainly inspiring. I will try some painting also, once we get the ship models. I'll probably pass on the rigging though. Eye and hand coordination are not what they used to be. ;)

pward
04-15-2013, 16:13
Wow! Amazing work!

Devsdoc
04-15-2013, 17:47
Hi All,
Thanks for your kind words. I have a frigate that I'm rigging now. I will post photo of it when it's done. James, Vol got me into your blog. I :salute: you. I love your work. Thank you for likeing mine.
Be safe
Rory