PDA

View Full Version : What accessories do you desire in an Anchorage store?

Gunner
03-13-2013, 18:47
Food for thought. If the following is possible, they would make nice additions to the SoG Anchorage accessories (if you start one).

All 1/1000 scale

Ratlines for all rates. (brass, plastic,stiff thread,etc)
Display bases. (Ocean themed blue base)
Flags, pennants for all nations.
Explosion, fire & splash markers.
Carry case and trays for ships.

I'm sure others can add to this list

RichardPF
03-13-2013, 19:38
Food for thought. If the following is possible, they would make nice additions to the SoG Anchorage accessories (if you start one).

All 1/1000 scale

I would like to see clear plastic display cases like those at Aerodrome.
Those seem like even more of a natural for ships than planes.

7eat51
03-14-2013, 12:10
T-Shirts (the Royal Hajj has mentioned that such items don't move as well, but I would definitely pre-order these)
Something similar to the cockpits in WoG to house our ship's cards and counters.
A naval-themed caddy to hold damage cards, etc.

The Royal Hajj
03-14-2013, 15:08

All 1/1000 scale

Several of those are already in the works...

T-Shirts (the Royal Hajj has mentioned that such items don't move as well, but I would definitely pre-order these)
Something similar to the cockpits in WoG to house our ship's cards and counters.
A naval-themed caddy to hold damage cards, etc.

This game does not use damage cards, it uses chits/counters like WGS. So, no damage caddy needed... even though it could look really cool!

7eat51
03-14-2013, 15:21
Several of those are already in the works...

This game does not use damage cards, it uses chits/counters like WGS. So, no damage caddy needed... even though it could look really cool!

Great. What's the probability of a t-shirt? The Aerodrome one's are excellent.

How about a shipshape ship-shaped caddy for chits/counters?

Sea Gull
03-22-2013, 09:00
In no particular order:

Safe Harbour - something to store the models in, and possibly transport them too. Maybe along the lines of teh Hangars for the WoG planes
Chit Holders - something to hold the different chits in, keeping them separate but protected so that they don't get lost. They do look quite small and possibly fiddly in the video.
Card Holder - something to hold and protect the Captain ability deck, Ships manoevre deck and any other card deck type of thing that comes along.

These are basically all gaming aids.

My biggest request is something I'm sure (hint hint) that has been mentioned before.
Rigging Kits - Knowing nothing about rigging the 1/1200th models, it's the one thing I see that could greatly improve the visuals of the SoG models. Not sure how this would be done, maybe it can be generic, maybe it needs to be specific to a size of ship (I told you I know nothing about this :happy:). But something that isn't beyond most people with a set of good instructions would be a boon to those who'd like to improve the look of the ships, but don't have the skills of Vol or any of the other master modellers on the site.

That's it for now. I'm sure more will follow and I'm sure others have more or better ideas. If we get them here than at least Keith has an idea of what we're wanting.:please:

Diamondback
03-22-2013, 12:54
I'd suggest, for logistics, it doesn't need to be a separate Anchorage Accessories site, but it could just be a sub-brand of the existing AA. That way, we who play both have One Stop Shopping... :D

As for rigging, I don't recall who made 'em but but when I was a kid there was a line of about 6-9"-long wooden boat/ship kits that included basic rigging instructions. (No sails to hang off 'em though.) If they're still available, they might be a start for engineering... I was thinking about just painting 200#-test monofilament fishing line or dental-floss (seriously, I know of one sport fisherman who had swordfish and sailfish regularly break 200#-test but not a one broke the line after he switched to floss) and epoxying it on.

David Manley
03-22-2013, 13:02
For rigging I'd suggest an online or PDF guide on how to do it, something like Rod Langton's book but simplified to take account of the style of the Ares minis and whatever needs there will be for drilling (it could also include a painting guide for anyone wanting to super-detail them). Etched brass ratlines would be good, again in the style of Rod's items for 1/1200. They are well overscale but look OK. If not then he used to sell a fine mesh which you could cut into long triangles to use for ratlines (which I personally thought was a better way of doing it) - an added bonus was that you got enough to do about 10 ships for the price of one etched brass set), so if that material is still available and you can get some that would be ideal.

How about sheets of ensigns and pennants?

Diamondback
03-22-2013, 13:20
There's an idea... laser-cut jigs for any drilling that needs to be done. OR, for forming "lines" out of wire, like the jigs some companies make to form grab-irons and handrails for model locomotives.

Capt P
03-22-2013, 15:59
I think there are many things that can brought to the ships store for all to enjoy.

RichardPF
03-22-2013, 18:25

It would seem that if these are not included with the starter set (and maybe even if they are) a set of drawstring felt bags with some type of markings for the different damage chit types (like shown in the video) would be needed.

The Royal Hajj
03-22-2013, 18:49
Great. What's the probability of a t-shirt? The Aerodrome one's are excellent.

It's a little early to be looking at T-shirts. Even with the larger member base and activity at the Aerodrome, sales of those shirts have been slow (as I predicted). I'm not ruling them out though

In no particular order:

Safe Harbour - something to store the models in, and possibly transport them too. Maybe along the lines of teh Hangars for the WoG planes
Chit Holders - something to hold the different chits in, keeping them separate but protected so that they don't get lost. They do look quite small and possibly fiddly in the video.
Card Holder - something to hold and protect the Captain ability deck, Ships manoevre deck and any other card deck type of thing that comes along.

My biggest request is something I'm sure (hint hint) that has been mentioned before.
Rigging Kits - Knowing nothing about rigging the 1/1200th models, it's the one thing I see that could greatly improve the visuals of the SoG models.

All of those are either being looked at, or are already in the planning phase.

It would seem that if these are not included with the starter set (and maybe even if they are) a set of drawstring felt bags with some type of markings for the different damage chit types (like shown in the video) would be needed.

We are checking the feasibility of those for the KS now.

Coog
03-22-2013, 19:20
I would like to see a clear base that is flat and much thinner with the firing arcs and wind markings etched on it so that a card on the base is not necessary. Of course the center front and rear marks would also need to be on it. I think this would greatly enhance the model and give it more of an on the ocean appearance.

Berthier
03-23-2013, 01:00
I would like to see a clear base that is flat and much thinner with the firing arcs and wind markings etched on it so that a card on the base is not necessary. Of course the center front and rear marks would also need to be on it. I think this would greatly enhance the model and give it more of an on the ocean appearance.

Great idea Bobby, I'm not convinced about the chunky bases either yet. It may be possible to create a pdf file and print them onto stock or stick label paper then print and attach to base thickness of your choosing. Only issue is that the ships have a peg that fits into the chunky base so that would need to be removed...which is n on reversible

Diamondback
03-23-2013, 02:09
Only issue is that the ships have a peg that fits into the chunky base so that would need to be removed...which is non reversible
Not necessarily... we don't know WHERE the pegs are or how thick the hulls are, but it MAY be possible to chop 'em, drill a hole and make a removable replacement pin from a length of wire.

In THEORY anyway... but in THEORY if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. LOL

Green flash
03-23-2013, 05:32
I'm pretty much in agreement with the suggestions already posted,I would really like to have some photo etched ratlines.

Coog
03-23-2013, 06:51
Great idea Bobby, I'm not convinced about the chunky bases either yet. It may be possible to create a pdf file and print them onto stock or stick label paper then print and attach to base thickness of your choosing. Only issue is that the ships have a peg that fits into the chunky base so that would need to be removed...which is n on reversible

The peg on the ships would not be a problem on a base that is as thick as the aftermarket ones for WoG. The new base would come with a hole in it, like the ones for WoG through Aerodrome Accessories. The peg may need to be trimmed some but should still be long enough to keep the ship in place on the base. Now if you are wanting to use a base that is very thin, you're right it would take some considerable modification. And I am not just thinking of the thickness of the stock base but the appearance with a card on it. A clear etched base would blend in better with a ocean colored playing surface.

Devsdoc
03-23-2013, 11:52
I think if you use kown models (langtons etc) which have Rat lines and bits for their ships. All you need is bases, playing tokens and rules:please:
Be safe
Rory

Sea Gull
03-23-2013, 15:58
Have they thought of providing the rules as a seperate purchase, completely independent of chits, cards, models etc. ? This would allow a friend to own their own set of rules without needing the basic set. They would still be in for the purchase of whichever ship models they wanted/needed. Of course this may be seen a removing a potential revenue source as people would have no need to use the Ares ships but could also use any existing models they own. However against that should be measured the chances of those people buying the main set anyway. A set of rules for $x is better than no sale of starter set at $0.

Just a thought springing from Rory's last comment.

Diamondback
03-23-2013, 16:23
Or, why not a Duel Pack like WGF? Two small ships (this might be better to wait until Series 2 or 3 when we have unrated ships like sloops-of-war), one ruler, one mini attitude indicator and basic rules, kind of a "Trial Size" package so people aren't out much if they don't like it, but if they do it can still blend seamlessly with purchases for the larger game.

Or, to build on this, maybe a Duel Pack for each rating level except the First and Second Rates? Of course, I envision this as all being repaints from existing tooling at time of each introduction, but it'd be a way to let the picky fans of "I wanna see how Frigates handle..." or "I wanna try a clash of SOL's..." "...but I'm not sure about the price of the full Starter as a sampler" have a chance to test their particular special interest and if they like it buy in more.

RichardPF
03-23-2013, 16:43
Have they thought of providing the rules as a seperate purchase, completely independent of chits, cards, models etc. ? This would allow a friend to own their own set of rules without needing the basic set. They would still be in for the purchase of whichever ship models they wanted/needed. Of course this may be seen a removing a potential revenue source as people would have no need to use the Ares ships but could also use any existing models they own. However against that should be measured the chances of those people buying the main set anyway. A set of rules for $x is better than no sale of starter set at $0.

Just a thought springing from Rory's last comment.

I remember when that comment was asked once upon a time on the "Wings" side the answer there and then was no.
Of course, that was long ago in a company configuration far, far away.

The Royal Hajj
03-23-2013, 21:25
While the subject of rules and dual packs is beyond the scope of this thread...

I believe that we will see some type of dual pack in the future. Nexus and now Ares have been known to post the rules as a free PDF download on their site. So, that too is a possibility in the future.

Berthier
03-24-2013, 00:32
The peg on the ships would not be a problem on a base that is as thick as the aftermarket ones for WoG. The new base would come with a hole in it, like the ones for WoG through Aerodrome Accessories. The peg may need to be trimmed some but should still be long enough to keep the ship in place on the base. Now if you are wanting to use a base that is very thin, you're right it would take some considerable modification. And I am not just thinking of the thickness of the stock base but the appearance with a card on it. A clear etched base would blend in better with a ocean colored playing surface.

You could leave the peg as is and have the ship "flying" somewhat above the waves, say probably 2mm above the clear base. might look a bit odd but would allow condition chits (such as fire, explosion) to be placed on the base partially under the ship for situations where all players should have access to the ship status rather than just the ship owner. (it's hard to hide a fire/explosion from your opponents, or a mast over the side).

Andy Blozinski
03-24-2013, 08:09

I bought some transparent blue bases from Litko for my ships to run at conventions. I had intended to get them with etching, but figured out my mash-up system so I just used a few accessories to do it better and cheaper.
I think the same concept could be done with the Ares miniatures. One would just need a hole near the center for the peg. The blue see through looks better than an opaque base. In this case, I thinking the etching would be required.

Andy Blozinski
03-24-2013, 14:02
Wrecked ships

The most useful minis I bought were two frigates made up with knocked down masts and taking on water. They were generic with no flags. Whenever a ship struck its colors it was replaced with one of these. It looked great and made playing the game easier and faster. You didn't have to switch in your brain and say to yourself "oh yeah, that's the knocked out ship". Your brain registered it automatically by observing it was blatantly what it was and you could do your plottin' n scheming' in your head more readily. These wouldn't need cards and stats. They could be released in a 2 pack. Maybe one pack for Frigates, one for SOLs. You could have separate packs by how many decks if you want to be slightly more specific and include the really big ships.

Diamondback
03-24-2013, 14:18
Andy, you may be onto something. Maybe a "Dismasted" and a "Listing and Sinking" version of each production sculpt? (This could be a use for shots that fail Quality Control...)

Problem becomes, how do you sculpt a "kaBOOOOOM!" like L'Orient at the Nile?

Sea Gull
03-24-2013, 14:58
Instead of damaged versions of each sculpt, what about simply providing masts and spars/rigging mess that can be laid alongside the affected vessel at the appropriate point. No need to wreck a model but it also indicates to everyone that she's lost the main mast etc.

You could also have a fire marker for a) when ships catch fire and b) when you decide to reveal that the ship coming into harbour is actually a fireship. I've just watched the Hornblower epsidoe of the Lt Examiination.:happy:

7eat51
03-24-2013, 17:08
I like the idea of damaged ships. However, I think I will have quite a few as I try my hand at modeling. I imagine some will end up like kaBOOOOOMed ships as they kiss the wall.

As for other items:

Shore parties.
Small boats - non-rated.
Any type of shore related minis such as batteries, docks, etc.

These items might already be supplied by some manufacturer, but for those of us who are not modelers, it might be useful to have access here and not have to hunt them down.

Diamondback
03-24-2013, 17:27
We're getting our first non-rated ship in Wave 2... my bet is that boats would be multiples on a tiddlywink-size clear disc or similar. Anybody else here A&A War at Sea alumni? I'm guessing they'd be like the PT Boats and Daihatsu Landing Craft in that...

Gunner
03-24-2013, 17:46
With all the ships we could use, I hope they don't waste their time or money making damaged ships. If I want one, that's what doubles are for.:beer:

Gunner
03-24-2013, 17:56
Shore parties.
Small boats - non-rated.
Any type of shore related minis such as batteries, docks, etc.

I second Eric's ideas.

Diamondback
03-24-2013, 19:14
But, you DO have to admit, Factory Damaged would be a GREAT way to get a Return On Investment out of pieces that fail Quality Control.

Not advocating diverting resources that could be used for another wave, just a way to use things that would be thrown away as waste anyway. :) Which helps improve Ares' bottom line and thus long-term survivability...

Gunner
03-24-2013, 19:52
But, you DO have to admit, Factory Damaged would be a GREAT way to get a Return On Investment out of pieces that fail Quality Control.

Not advocating diverting resources that could be used for another wave, just a way to use things that would be thrown away as waste anyway. :) Which helps improve Ares' bottom line and thus long-term survivability...
Great idea Diamondback. Maybe Kieth can strike a deal with Ares and sell the ships that don't pass QC on the Anchorage As-is.

Andy Blozinski
03-24-2013, 21:42
With all the ships we could use, I hope they don't waste their time or money making damaged ships. If I want one, that's what doubles are for.:beer:

I don't think it would take a lot of relative work on their part. They only need to make 2-3 designs to cover everything rated. A generic single deck. A generic double deck. Maybe a generic triple deck. They wouldn't require any work for a stat/combat damage tracking mat or maneuver cards. They could put out a design for the packaged product of a damage ship faster than a regular ship and they only have to do it a few times...not for EVERY ship design. It's generic.
I don't think the reject idea will go far. If they have so many rejects they can consistently sell them as accessories, they've got a serious quality control problem. I do think it's a good idea for them to do this to recover some losses. I might buy a few screwed up ships to experiment with and trash. It just depends on how much they want to charge. You need to think about shipping as well. If you pay shipping on 1-2 rejects at a time, that's getting pricey. You'd need to catch them at the right time when they had some available and then also order some regular ships at the same time to combine freight to make the cost reasonable for a reject.

The Royal Hajj
03-24-2013, 21:56
I don't think they will mess with rejects either. There should be relatively very few of them to start with, and what there is would be to big of a hassle for them to deal with I would think. I agree with Gunner, this is what extra ships are for... or maybe even a 3rd party product.

Berthier
03-25-2013, 02:35
Shapeways could be the way to go for damaged ships, detail not as important so it might suit the 3D printing medium. In the same vein, it would be very simple to produce spars, masts and parts on a sprue for 3D printing for anyone who has the software skills.

pward
03-25-2013, 05:34
I really like the "Rigging kit" idea. I hope they do this. The kit could include very fine thread for rigging, rat lines for all class/size type ships, perhaps glue that is safe for the model, and a bit of matching paint (like in a paint by numbers set) to touch up and help blend in where the lines connect to the model. Simple directions too. Each kit could have enough material to rig several ships. Please consider this, or something like it Ares.

7eat51
03-25-2013, 07:56
I really like the "Rigging kit" idea. I hope they do this. The kit could include very fine thread for rigging, rat lines for all class/size type ships, perhaps glue that is safe for the model, and a bit of matching paint (like in a paint by numbers set) to touch up and help blend in where the lines connect to the model. Simple directions too. Each kit could have enough material to rig several ships. Please consider this, or something like it Ares.

Greetings Paul. Head on over to the Welcome Aboard forum and introduce yourself. Folks will be glad to meet you:
http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay.php?5-Welcome-Aboard

Beowulf03809
03-25-2013, 08:37
Regarding base options, if there is a peg that puts the model in the base, you could just cut it flat, drill a small hold with a pin vice and glue in a tiny rare-earth magnet. Put the matching one in the hold on the base. Keep your polarities consistent with all ships being one way and all bases being the other. RE magnets can be picked up pretty cheap at various hobby stores and really cheap online.

I am not sure what actual value this may have yet until I see the game, rules and bases, but it's an option to keep in mind. It could lend itself well to custom bases if appropriate.

Mizzen
03-25-2013, 09:12
In no particular order:

Rigging Kits - Knowing nothing about rigging the 1/1200th models, it's the one thing I see that could greatly improve the visuals of the SoG models. Not sure how this would be done, maybe it can be generic, maybe it needs to be specific to a size of ship (I told you I know nothing about this :happy:). But something that isn't beyond most people with a set of good instructions would be a boon to those who'd like to improve the look of the ships, but don't have the skills of Vol or any of the other master modellers on the site.

That's it for now. I'm sure more will follow and I'm sure others have more or better ideas. If we get them here than at least Keith has an idea of what we're wanting.:please:

Sea Gull has my vote. Especially like the rigging Kits idea.

Someone mentioned clear bases. I think that one is a good idea also. I wondered why they did not go with a clear or at least clearer base in the first place....but I will have to see one of these Gems in my hand first.

BonhommeRichard
03-25-2013, 13:00
well the aerodrome has cockpits what about quarterdecks for the cards and such

The Royal Hajj
03-25-2013, 19:46

I like the quarterdeck name :g&t: I'm working with Ares on an upgraded ship log, but I have plans to do more advanced versions as well... I was going to call them something like Admiral's Ship Logs.... but Quarterdecks sounds the part!

Andy Blozinski
03-25-2013, 22:16
Someone mentioned clear bases. I think that one is a good idea also. I wondered why they did not go with a clear or at least clearer base in the first place....but I will have to see one of these Gems in my hand first.
A transparent blue base would be even better.

Coog
03-25-2013, 23:17
A transparent blue base would be even better.

I like the transparent blue base idea. I think either clear or blue would make the model look better.

Gunner
03-26-2013, 00:26
I like the transparent blue base idea. I think either clear or blue would make the model look better.

Like the one at this location.http://www.litko.net/BMaker/

The Royal Hajj
03-26-2013, 00:47
A transparent blue base might look the best. I'll be talking to them to see if they would entertain this idea and have a sample made up. I personally would not want clear bases for this game. It would really make the ships look like they are hovering above the water.

The two concerns I can see for the trans blue bases are:

1. The peg on the bottom of the ship could be seen below the ship. It's not a big deal in Wings, so not sure if it would be here.
2. The ship card is designed to sit on top of the base. Therefore, only the sides would be transparent. This might not be an issue, but it could look weird.

Gunner
03-26-2013, 01:56
A transparent blue base might look the best. I'll be talking to them to see if they would entertain this idea and have a sample made up. I personally would not want clear bases for this game. It would really make the ships look like they are hovering above the water.

The two concerns I can see for the trans blue bases are:

1. The peg on the bottom of the ship could be seen below the ship. It's not a big deal in Wings, so not sure if it would be here.
2. The ship card is designed to sit on top of the base. Therefore, only the sides would be transparent. This might not be an issue, but it could look weird.

1. The peg might not be seen because of the size of the ship, especially if the peg was cut to 1/8"
2. Could someone be found that could etch ship info on the base, or a transparent computer printed label with ship info and fire arcs on it?

The Royal Hajj
03-26-2013, 02:41
1. The peg might not be seen because of the size of the ship, especially if the peg was cut to 1/8"
2. Could someone be found that could etch ship info on the base, or a transparent computer printed label with ship info and fire arcs on it?

Unless the trans blue blocks it out, the peg will be seen when viewing the ship form an angle... no might to it.

As for etching the ship info onto a base, all that is needed is the firing arcs and the wind zones. I am pretty sure at least two companies will make some type of accessory base for this game.

The Royal Hajj
03-26-2013, 02:53
If the clear or transparent base still uses the ship card on top, then the peg would not be seen. But I personally don't think the Ares production blue bases are really going to be an issue once on the gaming table.

7eat51
03-26-2013, 07:43
Sven and Uli have been discussing submarines, and that made me think that subs and torpedo boats could be interesting game accessories or options for an upcoming ship release.

Coyote
04-19-2013, 22:07

I'll second on the quarterdeck idea. Aerodrome has that prop-shaped combat ruler. How about the same in a telescope version for SoG? It could still taper down to the eye piece, as long as the objective lens end is wide enough for close quarters action. A ships log may also be nice for some interested in creating after action reports.

CHolgren
04-20-2013, 08:15
Keith,

Not sure where to ask this. Would Ares ever consider releaseing PnP 6 sided mock ups of 2-4 ships for play until release? I followed Catalyst Games Leviathans for a long time and they used to release their scale models as exploded 6 sided figures with the blueprints on the faces of the prism for play and to test rules. We're in for a long wait and since this is my first and maybe only venture into AoS I don't want to invest in ships and another rules system, but would definately like to get a start on SoG.

This is what I'm refering to with regards to the mock up.

The Royal Hajj
04-20-2013, 08:47
Before any of us saw the game, we were thinking of a combat ruler shaped like a cannon. Seeing the rules and playing the game has lead me to think that might not work out so well. The telescope idea might since it is more rectangular in shape.

CHolgren,

I don't see Ares doing that. Their releases are much quicker than that it took Catalyst come out with the Leviathans game (I was following it as well and play it from time to time).

Nightmoss
04-21-2013, 19:52
Has there been any mention of some kind of device to mark 'ownership' of your minis while being used on the playing field? I doubt this is ever going to be an issue in small fleet actions, or if folks do repaints, etc. But if you have major fleet action, or perhaps even lend you ships out to someone for play purposes, you might like to know where your minis are? And besides it's fun to personalize your minis in some way.

Nice to see folks still remember/play Leviathans on occasion. I enjoy the steampunk universe that Catalyst has created and wish more was happening to support the game and community.

Diamondback
04-21-2013, 20:49
Telescope ruler might risk copyright--Gale Force Nine made a spyglass ruler for WK Pirates, so it might take some creativity. Maybe a collapsible version?

Naharaht
05-14-2013, 20:21
Having seen Devdoc's 'After Action Reports', burning ship markers look useful. They could also be used in 'fireship' scenarios.

Ships boats could be used in 'cutting out expedition' scenarios.

Gunner
05-14-2013, 21:07

Ship boats would be nice. Used for moving ships in a calm or used for lowering boats from a SOL.

CHolgren
05-15-2013, 05:36
Having seen Devdoc's 'After Action Reports', burning ship markers look useful. They could also be used in 'fireship' scenarios.

Could you add flames on top of a ship footprint? Gives both a hazard and a more specific area of the hazard.

Devsdoc
05-15-2013, 16:37

Hi David,
Langton make ships boats being rowed. They come in sets of 5 with 1) a Shore Battery. 2) a Signal Station. 3) a Martello Tower. The Flames are made by "Gale Force nine".
Be safe
Rory

Gunner
05-15-2013, 17:36
I think David was talking about SoGN 1/1000 scale.

Devsdoc
05-15-2013, 18:32
I think David was talking about SoGN 1/1000 scale.

Hi Ed,
Until Ares make them, Langtons are here to be used. For ship-boats I do not think 1-1200 or 1-1100 will seem out of place.
Be safe
Rory

Gunner
05-15-2013, 19:15
Hi Ed,
Until Ares make them, Langtons are here to be used. For ship-boats I do not think 1-1200 or 1-1100 will seem out of place.
Be safe
Rory

Right you are Rory. I just looked at an old pack of Langtons MX11 Open Boats (pack of 8 mixed), and the larger ones could easily be used for the SoGN scale.

QfunK!
05-16-2013, 01:00
In WoG, when a plane blows up, crashes, etc, it is generally out of play because of it physically leaving the play area, due to above all, gravity. What about some sort of wreak marker/model that would still be affected by wind, or effects others by stealing wind (a house rule I'm mulling over instating: blocked ships will have movement reduced by one sail speed). These makers can come in the sizes of the vessels respectively, as one frigate, a different one to represent ship of the line. If this has already been suggested, I whole heartily support it!

Andy Blozinski
05-16-2013, 21:37
In WoG, when a plane blows up, crashes, etc, it is generally out of play because of it physically leaving the play area, due to above all, gravity. What about some sort of wreak marker/model that would still be affected by wind, or effects others by stealing wind (a house rule I'm mulling over instating: blocked ships will have movement reduced by one sail speed). These makers can come in the sizes of the vessels respectively, as one frigate, a different one to represent ship of the line. If this has already been suggested, I whole heartily support it!

Oh yes, this has already been suggested. Wrecked ships are the most useful mini. They are guaranteed to see action every time.

7eat51
05-16-2013, 22:19
Wrecked ships are the most useful mini.

So my attempts at modeling this summer will be worth it after all.

Gunner
05-16-2013, 22:45

Ha,Ha,Ha.

Devsdoc
05-17-2013, 11:51

No! Eric the only wreck will be me. As I help you though this your 1st ship. So go for it and NO WRECKS
Be safe
Rory

7eat51
05-17-2013, 12:41
No! Eric the only wreck will be me. As I help you though this your 1st ship. So go for it and NO WRECKS
Be safe
Rory

So you already anticipate helping me will sink you. You have foresight my Friend. :happy:

Looking forward to sharing the experience with you.

Devsdoc
05-17-2013, 18:56
So you already anticipate helping me will sink you. You have foresight my Friend. :happy:

Looking forward to sharing the experience with you.

Eric,
being ship models. I stand in the water with you on my shoulders. So you can see farther and do better than me. So stop jumping up and down and pushing me under the water and just get on with it. :smack: :salute:
Be safe
Rory

7eat51
05-18-2013, 21:04
Eric,
being ship models. I stand in the water with you on my shoulders. So you can see farther and do better than me. So stop jumping up and down and pushing me under the water and just get on with it. :smack: :salute:
Be safe
Rory

Hi Rory,

I now see what you meant by our posts looking like a conversation between us.

My semester wraps up by mid-week, and after that, I will start ordering AoS mini supplies. I will start with Langton's USS Constitution (not at quarters), pick up the Langton book that has been recommended, paints, and any necessary tools. Before I place the order, I will list what is in the cart, seeking advice as to its sufficiency.

Cheers,
Eric

Nightmoss
05-18-2013, 21:57
Hi Rory,

My semester wraps up by mid-week, and after that, I will start ordering AoS mini supplies. I will start with Langton's USS Constitution (not at quarters), pick up the Langton book that has been recommended, paints, and any necessary tools. Before I place the order, I will list what is in the cart, seeking advice as to its sufficiency.

Cheers,
Eric

Like Rory says, we'll be watching and waiting for progress reports. :wink:

Andy Blozinski
05-18-2013, 23:21
An idea for a possible useful accessory:
A card sorting tray. There are going to be a lot of cards to sift through to plot your one card move. If all the port turns and all the starboard turns and all the straights are separated, that speeds things up a bit in the search for the right card. I'm guessing it's actually more complicated than just those three options, but that was just an example.

Devsdoc
05-19-2013, 15:47
Hi Rory,

Cheers,
Eric

:clap:
Be safe
Rory

QfunK!
05-28-2013, 20:03
An idea for a possible useful accessory:
A card sorting tray. There are going to be a lot of cards to sift through to plot your one card move. If all the port turns and all the starboard turns and all the straights are separated, that speeds things up a bit in the search for the right card. I'm guessing it's actually more complicated than just those three options, but that was just an example.

I hope this tray comes with a sort of "shield;" as for the ease of piled cards is to yourself, that doubles as an ease of reading to the enemy.

Some sort of weather pieces might be usable. Like a storm template or a even waterspouts models/makers. Most of my ideas seem to fall into the notion of optional rules, but I would like to bring a reality element to the table.

Jack Aubrey
06-15-2013, 00:24
A beer mug (schooner) like this:

http://pix.echtlustig.com/1303/bierglas-mit-bruesten.jpg

äh, with a figurehead of course.. :embarass:

Gunner
06-15-2013, 06:27
Change the green to pink and I'd replace all of my beer glasses. Might even start drinking milk again.
Have to love those Germans.

Jack Aubrey
06-15-2013, 13:47
Another one :question:

http://www.geschenke24.de/images/product_images/info_images/das-sexy-glas-mit-prallen-bruesten-fuer-1-5l-bier_2176.jpg

:happy:

Jack Aubrey
06-15-2013, 13:50
If you like a snaps more take this

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/113AqTGJQrL.jpg

:sly:

Diamondback
06-15-2013, 14:00
*stares pointedly* I thought this was supposed to be a "family friendly" site? o.O

lol

calm
06-15-2013, 18:06
Lots of great ideas !

And I was thinking that just the base game and, maybe, a mat or two would be enough :salute:

My wallet is already trembling with fear :dazed:

And I have to prevent "She, who sees all" from knowing what I doing with my money :embarass:

Diamondback
06-15-2013, 18:12
Try bribery, creating a diversion by buying her some new pretty bauble to consume her attention while you do your thing? LOL

calm
06-15-2013, 18:37
Try bribery, creating a diversion by buying her some new pretty bauble to consume her attention while you do your thing? LOL

She doesn't control what I already have :happy:

The problem starts when new material arrives. Some times I have them posted to a friends house :embarass:

Just kidding, really, She doesn't cause problems here :drinks: (but sometimes I still send new games to my friends house, just to be sure) !

Cmmdre
06-15-2013, 20:52
She doesn't control what I already have :happy:

The problem starts when new material arrives. Some times I have them posted to a friends house :embarass:

Just kidding, really, She doesn't cause problems here :drinks: (but sometimes I still send new games to my friends house, just to be sure) !

You have to be cautious, They're wily. :minis: :moneygone: :girlieangry:

Andy Blozinski
06-16-2013, 08:15
Every once in a while someone will post a photo of an excessive amount of minis they own or how much they spend and I conveniently and blatantly point this out to my my wife with a connected comment hinting at a relative comparison of "See hon, I'm not so bad, look at THIS guy".

calm
06-16-2013, 08:23
You have to be cautious, They're wily. :minis: :moneygone: :girlieangry:

Minis are not a problem, they are beatifull "toys", wargames, on the other hand...

Every once in a while someone will post a photo of an excessive amount of minis they own or how much they spend and I conveniently and blatantly point this out to my my wife with a connected comment hinting at a relative comparison of "See hon, I'm not so bad, look at THIS guy".

Very nice idea, will be used along with "look Hon, if I can't play wargames, then I will go out and drink with the guys". It never fails :embarass:

Diamondback
06-16-2013, 10:14
LOL Andy, back when Axis & Allies War at Sea was in print and I was going to GenCon, I used to BE "THAT Guy". :D

Devsdoc
06-16-2013, 16:35
Oh! Dear,
You poor, poor, guy's. Try talking about and not hiding your hobby! Jane is my partner not my mother. She likes my ships very much. She did not like Si-Fi so much.
Be safe
Rory

Jack Aubrey
06-17-2013, 00:14
Oh! Dear,
You poor, poor, guy's. Try talking about and not hiding your hobby! Jane is my partner not my mother. She likes my ships very much. She did not like Si-Fi so much.
Be safe
Rory
My wife likes the planes (WoG) too, and she will like the ships.:sly: And so I must not hide my hobby.
I`m happy, that I don`t must share her hobbys... like bungee jumping and so....:erk:

calm
06-17-2013, 06:22
Oh! Dear,
Be safe
Rory

My wife likes the planes (WoG) too, and she will like the ships.:sly: And so I must not hide my hobby.
I`m happy, that I don`t must share her hobbys... like bungee jumping and so....:erk:

You both got me wrong :wink: I don't hide my hobby, I even have a wife approved man cave to indulge in it. :g&t:

But I do hide the arrival of new, lets say... new itens :happy:

Unfortunatelly, my wife doesn't play boardgames, not even euros, so I can't count on her for a boardgame partner :cry:

And sometimes she insist on putting buying new furniture ahead of buying new games or accessories :embarass:

Jack Aubrey
06-17-2013, 07:03
Well, that`s not bad if a wife doesn`t play boardgames, so you can play with the right people at the right place.....:drinks:

7eat51
06-17-2013, 07:14
I hope this tray comes with a sort of "shield;" as for the ease of piled cards is to yourself, that doubles as an ease of reading to the enemy.

Some sort of weather pieces might be usable. Like a storm template or a even waterspouts models/makers. Most of my ideas seem to fall into the notion of optional rules, but I would like to bring a reality element to the table.

I think you will find that the ship deck and placing the cards down in front of you will be fine. We played a game a couple of days ago, and everyone is so busy looking at the board, that there is very little need to hide anything from opponents, and there is very little to hide anyway.

My wife gave me some fiber filling for pillows to use as clouds in WoG. I think I will be using the same for fog and storm clouds in SoG. Here's a game in which I used them: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?15170-OTT-Final-Months-3-Obscured-By-Clouds-is-not-just-for-Pink-Floyd

Sharing hobbies is great, and sharing can mean supporting and not doing. I've been enjoying learning about Sue's interests. Going the other way, Sue painted her first minis this past week - a samurai on a horse, and a bugbear. She is hooked. I think my mini collections will grow even larger now. She did pretty well at Origins playing Wings of Glory; she can be deadly.

Gunner
06-17-2013, 11:05
Here's a game in which I used them: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?15170-OTT-Final-Months-3-Obscured-By-Clouds-is-not-just-for-Pink-Floyd

Great story and pics. Thanks:beer:

Horatio Le Rêve
01-27-2014, 12:30
Here's my vote for a Quarterdeck -- this is probably the most talked about aspect of accessories for my group.

Cheers!

The Royal Hajj
01-27-2014, 12:51
Here's my vote for a Quarterdeck -- this is probably the most talked about aspect of accessories for my group.

Cheers!

Glad to hear it. I've been working on the design, and just today thought of an improvement based on a game I played yesterday. These types of products have to go through many games with them in mind, and then several more with prototypes to ensure we get what we really need. For my Cockpit products, trying to save on table space was a major consideration. With the amount of info and components needed to play SGN, I'm more concerned about proper layout and organization. While I'll keep the smallest foot print as possible that's not one of the main goals. I'll design these so they are easy to move out of the way if a ship sails into the area.

Пилот
01-31-2014, 08:56
D30s for each counter set as an option for damage allocation?

Separate counter sets (if not maneuver decks)?

The Royal Hajj
01-31-2014, 09:21
You can already buy extra counter sets. Maneuver decks will never be sold with out the ship mini.

Devsdoc
01-31-2014, 13:30
You can already buy extra counter sets. Maneuver decks will never be sold with out the ship mini.

Their loss
Be safe
Rory

Ken H
01-31-2014, 13:51
I would like the following:

1. Wooden or Plastic Range Ruler
2. Taller wind indicator that clears the top of the ship's masts.
3. Gunsmoke counters foe when ships have fired
4. Fire indicators.
5. Backing indicator
6. Entangled indicator.

The Royal Hajj
01-31-2014, 13:57
I would like the following:

1. Wooden or Plastic Range Ruler
2. Taller wind indicator that clears the top of the ship's masts.
3. Gunsmoke counters foe when ships have fired
4. Fire indicators.
5. Backing indicator
6. Entangled indicator.

Hi Ken,

1. I have that already (well, production the correct one has started, so will be back on the site here soon).
2. an interesting idea. Do you find the current size gets in the way often?
3. Also available in the AA store.
4. How would these differ from #3?
5. What would you use this for?
6. This could be useful if the use of that rule takes off.

Ken H
01-31-2014, 15:00
2. I like being able to line it up dead center on the ship without the masts getting in the way. Making it dual sided/longer to use from either side would also help when the position of a nearby ship prevents proper placement.

4. I would like something plastic which could be stood between the masts, possibly black rising smoke, to show this. I did the same with painted cotton balls when I played battle fleet gothic.

5. When a ship is stuck heading into the wind all should be able to see it. As long as a vessel is backing this would remain on it. It also would help the ships owner track if one or two hourglass backing cards are played.

Billman
02-01-2014, 11:52
In our last battle, two ships of the line took a number of fire and leak damage chits, requiring them to test a couple of times each for explosion and breaking apart. We used the chits, as in the rules, but the need to put several sets of four together was a bit of a speed bump at an exciting point in the game. (Both players drew destruction first time, as it happened!)
I popped into my local Games store and picked up some d8s. I coloured 2 surfaces red with a permanent pen, and the others yellow on one die and did the same with dark and light blue on the other.
The dice work well but have numbers on. Some dice with the chit images would look a lot better!

Andy Blozinski
02-01-2014, 13:07
If you're going to make something to haul the game as a package (I.E. Not just ship storage), then you need to include space for some of the counters. Anybody can get one of those plastic divider boxes, but you're pre-cutting something, so it has to be a particular box that you'd supply that will fit what you pre-cut. It will need separated storage for all the tan colored special damage counters that also allows finger access. It will need something that acts as combined storage/draw bowl(s) for wind change counters. It might as well have storage space for things like wind direction stuff and combat rulers if that's not already dealt with.

I would say fire counters to put on the ships would be really nice, but I'm not sure if it would get any better than just using a tuft of red cotton stuck between the sails.