PDA

View Full Version : Davco 1:1200 HMS Agamemnon

Volunteer
03-20-2013, 23:43
Here is the first constructed ship of the 12 that Gunner recently sent me. It is the HMS Agamemnon, 3rd rate, 64 gun ship.
Ardent Class; Sister ships: Stately, Belliqueux, Nassau, Indefatigable
Launched 1781; Displacement 1384 tons
Gun Deck: 26 x 24 pounders
Upper Deck: 26 x 18 pounders
Quarter Deck: 10 X 4 pounders
Forcastle: 2 x 9 pounders

Scratchbuilt masts, jib boom, bowsprit, flying jib and fore topmast staysails, and added spars. Anchors are GHQ. Fitted out with blue squadron ensign and pendant for the battle of Copenhagen:

In response to developments in the Baltic in 1801 that threatened to deprive Britain of much-needed naval supplies, Agamemnon was sent as part of a fleet under Admiral Sir Hyde Parker and Vice-Admiral Lord Nelson to attack the Danish at Copenhagen. On 2 April, Agamemnon was part of Nelson's division that fought the Battle of Copenhagen. Agamemnon was positioned second in the line after HMS Edgar, and after passing down the Outer Channel, she grounded whilst attempting to round the southern tip of the Middle Ground shoal. While the battle raged around her Agamemnon, along with Bellona and Russell, both of which had also run aground, flew signals of distress. The three stranded ships were eventually pulled off the Middle Ground in the night of 3 April.

More photos on my blogsite at http://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/

Regards,
Vol

7eat51
03-20-2013, 23:49
Wow. That is beautiful Vol.

Berthier
03-21-2013, 01:25
Very nice Vol,n if you can scratch built so much of this then 1/1000 ships for SOG should be do-able too!

Sea Gull
03-21-2013, 05:56
Scratchbuilt masts, jib boom, bowsprit, flying jib and fore topmast staysails, and added spars. Anchors are GHQ. Fitted out with blue squadron ensign and pendant for the battle of Copenhagen:
:erk::shock:

That is just amazing Vol. I've a Skytrex ship on my desk at this minute, freshly undercoated and waiting for a paint job. Please tell me this took you days and not hours, otherwise I'll not be able to bring myself to start mine. :sad:

On the positive side: a) I've at least taken the thing out of its very dusty box. b) I've undercoated it and stuck the sails to the masts. c) Now I have an idea of the colours I should use.

Thanks once again for displaying your great talents to inspire me/us. :thanks:

:minis:

Coog
03-21-2013, 08:31
I've got a couple of unbuilt Skytrex models setting around. I wasn't impressed by the quality of the cast. You have really done an amazing job turning your model into a work of art. Fantastic job!

Green flash
03-21-2013, 11:37
Beautiful.

Volunteer
03-21-2013, 12:08
Thanks guys!

Chris,

That is just amazing Vol. I've a Skytrex ship on my desk at this minute, freshly undercoated and waiting for a paint job. Please tell me this took you days and not hours, otherwise I'll not be able to bring myself to start mine. :sad:

Yes this took me several days working 3 to 4 hrs/day. I was also doing the Temeraire at the same time for painting and scratchbuilding, then concentrated on just the Agamemnon for mounting and rigging. I don't know if I'll be able to finish the other one before I have to leave again.

Daniel,

:
Very nice Vol,n if you can scratch built so much of this then 1/1000 ships for SOG should be do-able too!

What I would probably do is remove the masts & sails and use one of the SOG ships to make a mold. Then make a plaster cast of it. Then I would carve/sculpt/add the changes to make it a different ship class. Remold the new original and make some resin casts of the new ship class (probably using Diamonback's class list to determing the number of casts for each ship class). Pretty simple to do, just time consuming to do the research to get the new ship class right. Maybe take a shortcut and use one of the 1:1200 ships as a model would save time. There really is no limit to the number of different ships types you could do. It would beat waiting a year or two or three for Ares to expand their available fleet. Just speculating.