PDA

View Full Version : Sail Ho!

Beowulf03809
03-20-2013, 08:49
Greetings all.

I discovered this forum thru the SoG KS page. I'm going to be contributing to that soon, just trying to decide between Lieutenant (with some upgrades :sly: ) and Captain which I really can't afford but is OH so tempting... :hmmm:

By way of quick intro: I am from Florida, lived about ten years in Nebraska while in the USAF and now reside in New Hampshire, USA. I started gaming in the early 80s and enjoyed both RPGs and wargames. Richthofen's War, War at Sea, Panzerblitz, Star Fleet Battles, Risk, and others occupied many of our weekends. I held on to most of my gaming materials when I joined the Air Force and though "life" kept me from most gaming for the next couple decades I'd still find time to enjoy what I could when I could. :rum:

Almost 10 years ago a friend and co-worker introduced me to the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game (I'm a major Tolkien fan since my youth), my wife supported and encouraged me and I got back into gaming. In addition to miniature battles for Middle Earth I also currently play Flames of War (WWII) and Star Wars X-Wing miniatures. My local group has been getting big into Black Powder and I love Napoleonic and US Civil War period battles but just can't take on another system where I need to paint models. I LOVE doign it but have a huge backlog already and want more time to actually play. I was looking for a modern version of Richthofen's War since it was a favorite and my oldest two kids would enjoy it too and discovered Wings of Glory. JUST when I was about to commit...I saw a link on the page to the Sails of Glory Kickstarter...

With about as much love of Age of Sail as I have for any other historical period, having recently hooked my oldest son on the original Sid Mier's Pirates Gold! game and finishing up my third or fourth read of Adam Nicolson's Sieze the Fire (http://www.amazon.com/Seize-Fire-Heroism-Nelsons-Trafalgar/dp/B0046LUCS4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1363790879&sr=8-4&keywords=seize+the+fire) I was futile to resist. It turns out a few other local players are watching the KS as well and on the fence. I think we'll probably be contributing 2-4 new pledges between us all within the next week as we boost each other on.

Thanks for reading all this babble and Huzzah!
:minis:

Sea Gull
03-20-2013, 09:00
Welcome aboard Lawrence. Go for the Captain ... you know it makes sense. :moneygone::thumbsup: In fact there's a chart somewhere here that shows the benefits of each level and the add-ons in monetary terms.

Here it is (http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?847-Maximizing-the-Kickstarter&p=7293&viewfull=1#post7293)

7eat51
03-20-2013, 09:26
Welcome aboard, Lawrence.

When were you in the Air Force? I served from 1989-1994 - electronic warfare systems on fighters.

Commit to WoG as well. You will be glad you did. It is a great family game as well.

From one Tolkien fan to another, welcome again.

Beowulf03809
03-20-2013, 11:06
I was Airborne Communication Systems aboard the E-4B National Airborne Command Post (the "Doomsday Plane" :-) ) from about 89 to 97.

What fighters did you get to play with and where? Very cool.

I absolutely agree that the Captain is best value, especially with the latest KS goals added in. But it does draw a bit more gold from the coffers and I simply may not be able to do that. Hope an option presents itself though.

Coog
03-20-2013, 11:30
Welcome to the Anchorage Lawrence!

7eat51
03-20-2013, 14:19
What fighters did you get to play with and where?

Primarily A-10s and F-16s. Active Duty - Nellis AFB in Las Vegas; Guard - Truax Field in Madison WI.

I really miss those days. I had a wonderful time and met wonderful people in the military.

Thanks for your service Lawrence.

The Barrelman
03-20-2013, 23:18
Welcome!!

:g&t:

Volunteer
03-21-2013, 00:12
Welcome Lawrence, from Nine Mile Falls, Washington!

Jack Aubrey
03-21-2013, 00:28
Willkommen, Lawrence :salute:

Comte de Brueys
03-21-2013, 01:35
Bonjour Lawrence.

Welcome on board.

Beowulf03809
03-21-2013, 09:57
Primarily A-10s and F-16s. Active Duty - Nellis AFB in Las Vegas; Guard - Truax Field in Madison WI.

I really miss those days. I had a wonderful time and met wonderful people in the military.

Agreed and thanks to you (and all other service men or women on the board).

Beowulf03809
03-21-2013, 10:09
Thanks all for the welcome so far. It's been enjoyable catching up on forum posts to date. Actually, this is probably the first time I've ever jumped into a hobby forum without thousands of messages before me. I actually feel almost on top of things. :-)

Gunner
03-25-2013, 09:21
Welcome aboard Larry (if Larry is OK with you). Greetings from Arizona.

Beowulf03809
03-25-2013, 09:42
Larry is fine. IRL I go by the two pretty interchangeably, even with my spouse, as they're both two syllables. When typing it saves though.

You live in a beautiful state. I had a couple changes to go out to Phoenix for some work-related travel. We loved driving the back roads around the Superstition Mountains. We spent a couple weeks vacation up in Sedona a few times as well and are absolutely struck by the whole region. The valley itself offers so much but it was also a great staging point to get to the South Rim of the Canyon and out to Meteor Crater with a few stops at Route 66 points along the way. :-)

Gunner
03-25-2013, 11:03
Larry is fine. IRL I go by the two pretty interchangeably, even with my spouse, as they're both two syllables. When typing it saves though.

You live in a beautiful state. I had a couple changes to go out to Phoenix for some work-related travel. We loved driving the back roads around the Superstition Mountains. We spent a couple weeks vacation up in Sedona a few times as well and are absolutely struck by the whole region. The valley itself offers so much but it was also a great staging point to get to the South Rim of the Canyon and out to Meteor Crater with a few stops at Route 66 points along the way. :-)

Thanks for the kind words about Arizona. I love it out here.
I moved to Arizona 4 years ago from California mainly because of their stupid gun laws. Not to mention, twice the house for half the price of a California home.
Next time your in the Phoenix area and need a place to bunk for a day or two, give me a call.

BonhommeRichard
03-26-2013, 15:23
Welcome aboard the grog is kept in my stateroom:beer:

Beowulf03809
03-27-2013, 08:41
Just went official on the KS :rum:

Sea Gull
03-27-2013, 09:50
Well done that man. :hatsoff::g&t:

Beowulf03809
03-27-2013, 13:37
And pulled in two other of my local players at different levels...and working on convincing another to just throw in with me on what he wants and I'll add it on. The more the merrier!

:drinks:

Sea Gull
03-27-2013, 14:00
Sounds like you're running a well drilled Press Gang there Lawrence. Well done that man. :hatsoff:

Berthier
03-29-2013, 03:22
welcome Lawrence!

Green flash
03-30-2013, 15:21
Welcome aboard,bye the way,we took the grog out of BHR's "stateroom"...

Cmmdre
03-30-2013, 18:57
Welcome aboard.

Beowulf03809
03-30-2013, 20:08
I try my best to always know where the grog is being kept. Let's me know in who's good graces I should aspire to.

:rum:

Cmmdre
03-31-2013, 20:41
Well said. Grog is good.

strgzr
04-11-2013, 16:52
New on the boards as of today. I was an MA-1 radar/Fire control tech on the F106 (Hamilton & castle AFB CA)

Looking forward to the game!

strgzr

Nightmoss
04-11-2013, 17:01
Welcome from Wisconsin. Another Star Wars X Wing fan here also. GenCon and Fantasy Flight Games cost me a lot of dollars last year. :)

7eat51
04-11-2013, 17:20
New on the boards as of today. I was an MA-1 radar/Fire control tech on the F106 (Hamilton & castle AFB CA)

Looking forward to the game!

strgzr

Glad to have you onboard Richard, and thanks for your service. When were you in?

Head on over to the Welcome Aboard forum and introduce yourself there as well. Folks will be glad to meet you:
http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay.php?5-Welcome-Aboard

strgzr
04-12-2013, 11:46
I served from 1971 - 1980. See you on the Welcome board!

Rick