PDA

View Full Version : Using 1/1200 Ships

Coog
03-19-2013, 15:45
Since the news came out about Sails of Glory being produced, many have wondered about using 1/1200 ships. I think we have enough information now that indictes that they can be substituted for 1/1000 ships. However, I personally would not want to mix the two. These are the factors that have to be considered:

Basing - If I understand it right, the ship cards will not be attached to the base but will fit into it and be removeable. The Ares ship models will have a peg on the bottom that will fit into a hole in the base. I assume there will also be holes in ship cards. Therefore alternate 1/1200 models will need to have a peg attached to them or some alternate method of attaching them to the base. Some way of using magnets would be great. I'm sure players will figure out something that will work that they like using.

Ship Cards - If there is already a 1/1000 model available, a card is available for the alternate ship being used. If there is not a card available I believe our talented members from the Aerodrome will be cranking out ship cards as they have done aircraft cards.

I plan on getting the official ships as they become available but I do not want to have to wait two or three years, or even longer, to play the game with the ships I want or in the time period I want to play.

Comments...ideas?

7eat51
03-19-2013, 19:18
I could see using 1/1200 ships for periods not covered by Ares. I don't know about mixing them within a single game, however; I don't think I would want to compromise the look of the game that way. This assumes, of course, that the difference between the two scales is very noticeable. As for releases, I have enough other games to keep me occupied for the next couple of years, so I can be patient, but I do want significant releases each year. If Ares does not produce a decent number of ships each year, I would fear for the game's viability, and could easily see folks drifting toward other scales exclusively. As you pointed out, there are talented folks who can make cards, etc.

Jack Aubrey
03-20-2013, 01:21
I could see using 1/1200 ships for periods not covered by Ares. I don't know about mixing them within a single game, however; I don't think I would want to compromise the look of the game that way. This assumes, of course, that the difference between the two scales is very noticeable. As for releases, I have enough other games to keep me occupied for the next couple of years, so I can be patient, but I do want significant releases each year. If Ares does not produce a decent number of ships each year, I would fear for the game's viability, and could easily see folks drifting toward other scales exclusively. As you pointed out, there are talented folks who can make cards, etc.

exactly my point of viewing..:salute:

The Royal Hajj
03-20-2013, 02:07
I think it is going to rather easy to use ships from a different scale. The only real issue is the base... and that will not be an issue for very long. As in Wings, the stats for the ship do not have to actually be on the base. It's nice, but not needed. I've been playing Wings for years now with out any stats on the bases. When I need them, I simply have the plane's card in front of me. I can see people doing the same thing with this game. There is only 3 stats on the ship card after all.

And as for using ships that have not been released yet, as long as the ships class has been released, you have all the stats for it.

The biggest hurdle is going to be maneuver decks. It's going to take a while for people to make those as there is a lot more to them then there is for the Wings maneuver cards.

7eat51
03-20-2013, 07:48
I think it is going to rather easy to use ships from a different scale. The only real issue is the base... and that will not be an issue for very long. As in Wings, the stats for the ship do not have to actually be on the base. It's nice, but not needed. I've been playing Wings for years now with out any stats on the bases. When I need them, I simply have the plane's card in front of me. I can see people doing the same thing with this game. There is only 3 stats on the ship card after all.

And as for using ships that have not been released yet, as long as the ships class has been released, you have all the stats for it.

The biggest hurdle is going to be maneuver decks. It's going to take a while for people to make those as there is a lot more to them then there is for the Wings maneuver cards.

As for stats, I think you're spot on; we always look at the cockpit for info when playing WoG. In fact, that is one of the nice things about WoG - almost all of the info is in one place.

More maneuver cards is exciting!

Sea Gull
03-20-2013, 08:39
More maneuver cards is exciting!

Come on Eric, it's not as exciting as more ships !! :happy::drinks:

DeRuyter
03-20-2013, 12:54

That is why I never understood all the whining and hand wringing about the scale! Lots of modding possiblities as evidenced by WoW/WoG. The same goes for the cries for the release of the rules and cards without the ships (big response to that by Ares on the Yahoo SG forum). The $ for the basic set plus some additional ships is less than many boardgames and even some hardback miniatures rules (without miniatures!).

Jack Aubrey
03-22-2013, 01:00
Come on Eric, it's not as exciting as more ships !! :happy::drinks:

Both, Chris, both is exciting..:steer:

Berthier
03-22-2013, 01:53

I think it would actually be better not having the stats on the cards as this will introduce a certain fog of war element and reduce the statistics minded players influence a bit. Obviously people will learn the stats with time but initially at least all they would know was ships name and size from the model. Is it a 98 or a large 74 or maybe a 100? Is it a slug in the water or is it a nimble 74?.. join battle and find out.

David Manley
03-22-2013, 02:45
The "whining" as you put it was more to do with the lost opportunities and, potentially, the revenue stream for Ares.

Devsdoc
03-24-2013, 06:44
Well said David. How do you do the quote blue thing????
Be safe
Rory

Sea Gull
03-24-2013, 06:59
Well said David. How do you do the quote blue thing????
Be safe
Rory

When you reply to a thread you can choose the Reply With Quote option at the bottom right of the comment you want to reply to. If you don't want to quote the whole comment you can select the bit you want to quote from the comment, copy and paste it into your comment and then click on the last icon on the right, looks like a speach bubble. This will put quote marks around the selected text.

If you hover your mouse over the icons at the top of the comment box, a helper text will appear telling you what each one will do.

Hope this helps.
Chris