PDA

View Full Version : Period of history covered by the game

Nightbomber
12-03-2011, 07:08
Since my Country's navy simple didn't exist during Napoleonic times (mostly due to the fact there was only Warsaw Duchy left out of former kingdom), I'm interested if other periods of history are considered as far as historical scope of the game is concerned.
On BGG site one can read:
Sails of Glory is a series of games that recreates naval combat in the Age of Sails (1650-1815).
Is that still right or we are restricted to the Napoleonic times?

David Manley
12-03-2011, 07:14
The plan is that the game will eventually cover all of the classic age(s) of sail, but the initial releases cover the Napoleonic Wars. I would expect earlier periods to be covered by the same core mechanisms, but with "tweaks" to represent the peculiar characteristics of ships and armament of each period.

Blackrose
12-03-2011, 11:26
Enterprising and knowledgable persons could probably tweek the rules back to Elizabethian times.
Karl

Gunner
12-03-2011, 21:44
Andrzej, you might want to use the 17th century Polish Naval War Jack when they do. Or now.
But you could find a clearer picture.

http://www.loeser.us/flags/images/poland/polish_1627.png

Capt P
12-04-2011, 12:33
Could they possiably go bad further to Greeks/Pershans/Roams/Carthagenians?

Nightbomber
12-05-2011, 08:40
Andrzej, you might want to use the 17th century Polish Naval War Jack when they do. Or now.
But you could find a clearer picture.

http://www.loeser.us/flags/images/poland/polish_1627.png
Thanks for sharing the link, Ed!

Blackjohn
12-05-2011, 09:31
Nice flag! I hope my Polish ancestors sailed under it.

I'll be looking forward to taking whatever Napoleonic stuff comes out and backdating it 100 years. I used to do the same thing with WS&IM.

Nightbomber
12-05-2011, 09:52
Blackjohn!

You really did have PL ancestors - That's cool!
Greetings from Poland!:)

Gunner
12-05-2011, 09:56
Thanks for sharing the link, Ed!

Since I'm 100% Polish I almost changed my Avatar.

Nightbomber
12-05-2011, 10:03
Since I'm 100% Polish I almost changed my Avatar.

:D

Blackjohn
12-05-2011, 10:30
Blackjohn!

You really did have PL ancestors - That's cool!
Greetings from Poland!:)
Indeed!
I'm 3/4 Pole and 1/4 everything else. My dad's mother, Albina Jagielska, was from south or southeastern Poland, I believe the area known as Lesser Poland. She came to the US early in the 20thC. Sadly, I'm not sure where my mom's dad, Alexander Dzieklinski, or dad's dad, Andrew Macek, were from.
I do know we had a relative in the Polish Army between the wars. Somewhere around here I have a pic of him in his uniform.

Nightbomber
12-05-2011, 10:37
Family name-endings you mentioned are not only strictly of Polish origin (-ski), but they reveal a kind of nobility roots as well. I know the majority of Polish emigrants to America came right from the part of Poland you mentioned. It would be great to see the photo - maybe I could try to identify a unit?

Thanks,
Andrzej.

Berthier
12-06-2011, 03:24
1/8 polish here:)

Nightbomber
12-06-2011, 05:32
Hi Daniel! Maybe we should start a little subforum.PL somewhere here. Just to go more inside polish XVII century navy history?:) Battle of Oliwa 1620 was (if memory serves well) quite a victory over the Swedish. Of course nothing compares to other powers achievements of the era!

Andrzej.

Blackjohn
12-06-2011, 06:23
If so, count me in. I love that era of our country's history.

Capt P
12-06-2011, 16:22
I went to 8th grade at a Polish school. Said our morning prayers in Polish( that was many years ago). Family is Slovak so I guess no navy for me. I guess since my uncle was a US Sailor in WWII US for me.

Gunner
12-06-2011, 16:42
I went to 8th grade at a Polish school. Said our morning prayers in Polish( that was many years ago).

Boy, does that take me back. I went to a Polish grade school in Chicago. I ran across an old report card :eek:, it was in Polish. (that was many ++ years ago also)

Berthier
12-06-2011, 22:49
That's a statistically improbable number of connections with Poland! Mind you, don't start posting in Polish otherwise I'll be completely lost.

Gunner
12-06-2011, 23:07
That's a statistically improbable number of connections with Poland! Mind you, don't start posting in Polish otherwise I'll be completely lost.

So will I. My Father had to translate my report card, holding the card in one hand and a switch in the other.

Bligh
12-07-2011, 05:02
I had a Polish girlfriend for about a year. Does that count?
Rob.

Berthier
12-07-2011, 05:13
Rob, definitely, join the "Friends of Poland's Fleet Society"....we might have to make it a condition of membership of the SOG site to find "some" connection with Poland!

Bligh
12-07-2011, 08:50
Rob, definitely, join the "Friends of Poland's Fleet Society"....we might have to make it a condition of membership of the SOG site to find "some" connection with Poland!
Be honoured to. Does one need to apply to be a member?
Rob.

Gunner
12-07-2011, 10:08
I havn't heard of "Friends of Poland's Fleet Society", but their is friendsofpoland.org. and they are not Polish.

Blackrose
12-07-2011, 16:10
My wife is of Polish descent; Cleveland Ohio.
I'm pretty much everything NW Euro: east of the Oder and north of the Alps, including Scandinavia.
karl

The Cowman
12-08-2011, 19:07
My wife is of Polish descent; Cleveland Ohio.
I'm pretty much everything NW Euro: east of the Oder and north of the Alps, including Scandinavia.
karl

I was looking at some of the pictures of you from Origins on the sister site the other day, and I was thinking that if you had a long beard, you might make a good Viking!!! ;)

Blackrose
12-14-2011, 13:29
I was looking at some of the pictures of you from Origins on the sister site the other day, and I was thinking that if you had a long beard, you might make a good Viking!!! ;)

That would be the Swede in me; it's probably the largest Old Europe component in me.
Karl

pward
04-23-2013, 19:46
Since my Country's navy simple didn't exist during Napoleonic times (mostly due to the fact there was only Warsaw Duchy left out of former kingdom), I'm interested if other periods of history are considered as far as historical scope of the game is concerned.
On BGG site one can read:
Sails of Glory is a series of games that recreates naval combat in the Age of Sails (1650-1815).
Is that still right or we are restricted to the Napoleonic times?

I'm hoping they extend the time frame by a couple of years... to about 1817, this way some of the larger US ships that arrived late in the period could get into the game.

Andy Blozinski
04-23-2013, 21:11
Family name-endings you mentioned are not only strictly of Polish origin (-ski), but they reveal a kind of nobility roots as well. I know the majority of Polish emigrants to America came right from the part of Poland you mentioned. It would be great to see the photo - maybe I could try to identify a unit?

Thanks,
Andrzej.
My dad was 100% Polish. They were going to name me Andrzej, but they figured everyone over here would mess up the pronunciation, so they went with Andrei. They wasted their time. Andrei gets horribly butchered all the time.

Gunner
04-23-2013, 21:33
Hello from a 100% Pole.
You never answered what you were doing in the StuG,

GreenLaborMike
04-23-2013, 21:38
My father is 100% Hungarian, but our last name is descended from two Polish brothers who fought against the Turks in the 17th century, and were rewarded with land in Hungary. There has been a male heir to carry on the name ever since. Sadly, I speak no Hungarian (or Polish, for that matter). My paternal grandmother is also Hungarian, but from a region that was carved out after WWI and given to what is now Slovakia.

Gunner
04-23-2013, 21:57
You have a great family history.:salute:

Berthier
04-24-2013, 01:02
One of my grandmothers was from Poland (Cracow) when it was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. That part of Europe is tricky with national borders as they are very very much date dependent, Poland being the toughest example. Three partitions from 1764 to 1795, then the Duchy of Warsaw till 1814, then no independent state till 1918, then shattered in 1941 followed by Soviet dominion from 1945 until 1989. And that's only the last 350 years, what a hard history indeed.

Bligh
04-24-2013, 02:00
I'm hoping they extend the time frame by a couple of years... to about 1817, this way some of the larger US ships that arrived late in the period could get into the game.

I would not worry about a couple of years Paul.
No significant changes took place in that time frame other than you can account for within the rules.
Bligh.

Coog
04-24-2013, 06:19
The first of the US SOLs launched in 1814 so they would fit into the period.

GreenLaborMike
04-24-2013, 07:21
You have a great family history.:salute:

I just found out about this distant relative last year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christoph_Karl_von_Piacsek

I'm not exactly sure just how closely related we are. But for the sake of comparison, I am directly related (as in, no more distant than first cousin) to every other Piacsek in the US. My grandfather and grandmother were the first to come to America, so far as we can tell. It's just not a common name at all.