PDA

View Full Version : Ammunition Range and Effect Questions

RichardPF
03-19-2013, 01:43
So in reading over the Standard Rules I came up with some initial questions:

1) Special note was made pf the range differences between the different types of ammunition.
Does anyone know if there are different markings on the ruler for the different ammunition types, or, is it possibly that since there is only one deck of damage cards for each of chain and grapeshot those ammunition types are only effective for the closer marking on the ruler? (as opposed to the ball ammunition which uses the B deck for short range and A deck for long range).

The rules did say that the chain ammunition in particular was more useful with the advanced rules but did say that the player chose from the three when using the standard rules.

2) I see how damage reduces the spread between the a first and second maneuver card. Is this the only way that rigging damage is expressed in the standard rules?

RichardPF
03-19-2013, 01:57
I really like the: after the first card, the card you select is always one removed from the next card to be played movement mechanics.
I think that it does a very good job of simulating the "Prepare to ___ , <command>" delayed command to action sequence that actually takes place in sailing with a crew of any size.

Certainly that I have experienced when sailing anyway...

The Royal Hajj
03-19-2013, 02:58
The ruler does have different ranges for the different types of shots. Ball shot has long and short, while chain and grape are both at what I call extreme close range.

7eat51
03-19-2013, 06:23
From the photo, it appears there are two hash marks, one by the thumb, and one about 3/4 of the way towards the front of the ship being fired upon:

Berthier
03-19-2013, 06:48
There are three colours visible on the ruler photo for three ranges? I am trying to figure exactly where on the models all these ranges are measured from and too. The 'from' appears to be the base of the firing arc of the firing ship whether full/forward or stern arc, but I can't tell where the target is measured to..is it the ship centre?

7eat51
03-19-2013, 07:23
I imagine the target is the ship's base. This way, the set up is somewhat similar to WoG - from center peg to base.

Diamondback
03-19-2013, 15:21
Basically, if we think of a ship's cannons as giant shotguns, Ball is the equivalent of a "slug"--a single, longer-range, heavy solid projectile. Chain is like buckshot, for closer range large targets that might benefit more from a dispersed pattern (read: masts and sails), and Grape is like birdshot--for very small, very mobile targets (read: turning crew into swabbie-burger).

Musket would be the equivalent of a .22 pistol at close range--best used to eliminate officers and other "leaders" or strong pockets of resistance to clear the way for your boarding party.

The Royal Hajj
03-20-2013, 01:50
There is a dot at the base of the firing arcs. You measure from the dot to the base of the target ship. If you have round shot loaded, you can shoot the entire length of the ruler. If you target is over the half way point, it's long range. If it's under half the ruler distance, it's close range. When you load chain or grape, the range drops to the mark by his thumb in the photo above. Muskets shoot only the width of the ruler... so you have to be very close!

The ruler is color coded to help distenguish the different ranges.

Berthier
03-20-2013, 06:32
There is a dot at the base of the firing arcs. You measure from the dot to the base of the target ship. If you have round shot loaded, you can shoot the entire length of the ruler. If you target is over the half way point, it's long range. If it's under half the ruler distance, it's close range. When you load chain or grape, the range drops to the mark by his thumb in the photo above. Muskets shoot only the width of the ruler... so you have to be very close!

The ruler is color coded to help distenguish the different ranges.

Thanks that clears that all up. ..except is range to any point on the base or the closest point?

The Royal Hajj
03-20-2013, 06:48
You would only need to measure to the closest point of the base that is still in the arc of fire. So, if you ranking the ship, and the bow is in close range and the stern is at long, you get the benefit of being at close range.

7eat51
03-20-2013, 07:42
Muskets shoot only the width of the ruler... so you have to be very close!

From the picture, it looks like the only way to engage in musket fire is if the two bases are in contact at the point of the respective firing arc, or if the bases are on top of each other a bit. Is this correct?

Please encourage Ares to include the type of info about the ruler on the KS page that you just gave here. You sold me another ruler just now. They should have done that there.

Thanks First Sea Lord.

The Royal Hajj
03-20-2013, 08:51
The new video coming out here soon will show the musket fire better. I can tell you that the combat ruler is 17mm wide. So ships can be a maximum of 16.9mm apart and still fire muskets shots at each other. Not actually touching, but pretty close!

I should point out that the wooden combat ruler will not be color code for obvious reasons. It could be stained if you to go that route though.

Beowulf03809
03-20-2013, 08:55
From my understanding of the musket example, you only get one possible musket shot per turn and it is regardless of direction. As long as an enemy ship's base is within the ruler width of your ship's base it is a valid target. There is no fire arc restrictions or 'point of fire' as with broadsides. The bases do not actually need to be touching but they obviously have to be close.

I really had my interest in the system increased when I read of the different ammunition types. I wonder though if they are accounting for the practice of loading double-shot in advance of the engagement so that the first, and only the first, broadside can be even more devastating. It seemed a common practice at least in the British fleets of the time.

Sea Gull
03-20-2013, 09:23
I really had my interest in the system increased when I read of the different ammunition types. I wonder though if they are accounting for the practice of loading double-shot in advance of the engagement so that the first, and only the first, broadside can be even more devastating. It seemed a common practice at least in the British fleets of the time.

If not it's a good potential for an Optional House rule.

RichardPF
03-20-2013, 09:36
The new video coming out here soon will show the musket fire better. I can tell you that the combat ruler is 17mm wide. So ships can be a maximum of 16.9mm apart and still fire muskets shots at each other. Not actually touching, but pretty close!

I should point out that the wooden combat ruler will not be color code for obvious reasons. It could be stained if you to go that route though.

I know that the exact measurements are not set (or at least published) yet, but I would guess from the ship scale and the posted images that the bases are going to be in the area of 70mm x 35 mm or so.
That would make the range about half a base with. Does that seem to be in line with what you were expecting?

The Royal Hajj
03-20-2013, 14:01
The base size was published in either the KS comments or on a BBG thread... I don't recall which though.

7eat51
03-20-2013, 14:12
If musket fire does not originate from the red dot but from the base side, that would greatly increase its range given its short range, which, in turn, would not require such fine maneuvering to get into range.

As for double-shot, I think we will find all sorts of house rules develop if situations are not covered in the official rules. I have read some interesting and useful threads of house rules on the Aerodrome. I look forward to what will arise here as well. One nice thing about these sites is that there is a lot of technical knowledge present.