03-18-2013, 19:12
Hey Folks,

The standard rules are up on Ares' site:
http://www.aresgames.eu/7974

EAT

The Barrelman
03-18-2013, 19:14
That was fast!

I am really liking what is described in this article. Different ammo type per broadside. A lot of movement potential with the wind. I am still trying to figure out everything on the ship log. The photos are not close up. There were close up shots in an earlier article I think.

:minis:

7eat51
03-18-2013, 19:24
That was fast!

I am really liking what is described in this article. Different ammo type per broadside. A lot of movement potential with the wind. I am still trying to figure out everything on the ship log. The photos are not close up. There were close up shots in an earlier article I think.

:minis:

I, too, am liking how this is developing. I look forward to reading the advanced rules.

One thing I like about WoG and SoG is how the info is laid out on the cards, etc. There is very little record keeping to maintain during play, and the rules are pretty intuitive. This makes it much easier for newbies to start playing, and to be able to well early on.

The Barrelman
03-18-2013, 20:18
I, too, am liking how this is developing. I look forward to reading the advanced rules.

One thing I like about WoG and SoG is how the info is laid out on the cards, etc. There is very little record keeping to maintain during play, and the rules are pretty intuitive. This makes it much easier for newbies to start playing, and to be able to well early on.

Yes. It is a common concept of visual indicators. If we see it, we won't forget it and response with more speed. It is a central idea in a software design movement to help rapid development. I am interested in studying how the information flows in a busy environment. I want to get a closer look at the ship logs because everything is there (remaining crew, port/starboard cannons loaded, what ammo type, etc.). A quick glance of the complete ship status. But, what do all the icons mean?

Why is the answer 42?!?!
I need to know!!
We need some type of computer... :cheezy:

7eat51
03-18-2013, 20:43
Why is the answer 42?!?!

One of the funniest books I ever read!

The Royal Hajj
03-18-2013, 21:30
So, for the standard rules, planning and playing the maneuver cards work just as they do in WGS. The Veer and Taken Aback expanded rules really add for some in game tactics!

OmegaLazarus
03-19-2013, 12:03
About the taken aback. Is that right that you play the first turn in front and the remainder turns in rear. I thought they would all be played in rear. I am not sure if this is a mistake in the photo or not. Either way, I am very excited and can't wait to play. Different ammo sounds like great fun.

Bring on the release, I am a willing Captain. :happy:

The Barrelman
03-19-2013, 12:37
About the taken aback. Is that right that you play the first turn in front and the remainder turns in rear. I thought they would all be played in rear. I am not sure if this is a mistake in the photo or not. Either way, I am very excited and can't wait to play. Different ammo sounds like great fun.

It might just have been a mistype when describing it. It looks right from the pictures that the ship would move that way. It would lose momentum quickly and start a tight turn. If you can not catch the wind again, the sails would start luffing and the boat will twist in place. Then it looked like the boat would fall into close haul and start gaining speed again.

Points of sail (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Points_of_sail)

David Manley
03-19-2013, 12:38

Bring on the release, I am a willing Captain. :happy:

Yes, first card is a short move as the ship slows and goes into irons. Subsequent turns to the rear.

OmegaLazarus
03-19-2013, 13:23
That makes sense, but I thought it conflicted with what I had read in earlier articles. I went back and looked and that is one of the differences between basic and standard. Thanks for clearing it up and providing excellent real world explanation.

The Barrelman
03-19-2013, 13:28
Yes, I remember that now. In the basic rules they described, you only use the two hour glass side of the card in the red zone.

RichardPF
03-19-2013, 14:26
It might just have been a mistype when describing it. It looks right from the pictures that the ship would move that way. It would lose momentum quickly and start a tight turn. If you can not catch the wind again, the sails would start luffing and the boat will twist in place. Then it looked like the boat would fall into close haul and start gaining speed again.

Points of sail (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Points_of_sail)

One thing is that a square rig ship can not point very high. If a single movement card can't get you turned past head to wind, the only way open to change tacks would be to jibe.

Sea Gull
03-20-2013, 08:28
This has come just at the right time. While sat at home recovering I'm currently watching the complete Hornblower on DVD with :girlie: and she's also enjoying it. Maybe when the game comes out I can get her to play too. Lots of single ship actions and sailing terms to get me teeth into and keep the anticipation and excitement going. not long now, maybe 5 months before SoG docks in Holland.:g&t::rum::beer:

DeRuyter
03-20-2013, 13:21
One thing is that a square rig ship can not point very high. If a single movement card can't get you turned past head to wind, the only way open to change tacks would be to jibe.

About 65-70 degrees to the wind, and you'll be going slow as well. Some ships would point better and make less leeway - ie; frigates over SOL. One advantage of the Baltimore clipper design - the ability to point high and go fast whilst close hauled. Should be simple for SoG to add in fore and aft rigged ships - just reduce the "red" boarder on the ship card and have a better manuver number.

csadn
03-20-2013, 14:09
About 65-70 degrees to the wind, and you'll be going slow as well. Some ships would point better and make less leeway - ie; frigates over SOL. One advantage of the Baltimore clipper design - the ability to point high and go fast whilst close hauled.

I recall reading somewhere that _Constitution_ and similar ships could get to six points off the wind, where the more-usual number was 8-9.

RichardPF
03-20-2013, 20:24
About 65-70 degrees to the wind, and you'll be going slow as well. Some ships would point better and make less leeway - ie; frigates over SOL. One advantage of the Baltimore clipper design - the ability to point high and go fast whilst close hauled. Should be simple for SoG to add in fore and aft rigged ships - just reduce the "red" boarder on the ship card and have a better manuver number.

Sure, all things being equal, a Marconi/Bermuda rigged (fore/aft) sail plan will point higher than a fore/aft gaff which will point higher than a square rig.

Here's the potential game mechanics problem I see:

From a close hauled on one tack to close hauled on the other tack for a square rigger requires quite an angular rotation (45 degrees is not uncommon on a modern racing sailboat and a square rig ship would require much more).
On an actual square rig tack, you can just slack the sheets and let the ship rotate until it reaches a heading where the other tack is possible. Then tighten the sheets.
This will take a bit of time and the ship will lose some speed, but as long as you have reasonable momentum going in and rotate smartly it is not a problem.

The potential problem that I see in the game is that because of the way the movement rules are designed you only have one movement turn to do this.
If you should find yourself head to wind (in th ered zone on the base) at the end of any movement turn you will envoke the backing condition.
That means you will need to complete the tack with a single movement card. This is a pretty sharp angle and I have not seen any of the example cards that even approach this rate of turn.
If you are familiar with WoW/WoG we are talking a turn in the neighborhood of the sharpest possible right turn for the Fokker DR1 or more.
If there are not such movement cards then tacks are not possible and the only way to change tacks is through a jibe (where the wind direction passes from one side of the ship across the stern).

David Manley
03-21-2013, 09:22
As far as I recall to tack you aim to end a turn as close hauled as possible, Your next move is a hard turn across the wind that leaves you inthe "red zone", and your next card (which must be a red) takes you across the wind onto the opposite tack.

and of course you can always go the other way and "wear ship"