PDA

View Full Version : Now we have an idea of the official schedule, anyone thinking of Shapeways?

PilGrim
03-13-2013, 02:49
We now know from KS that the Victory will be released sometime in early 2014. I'm assuming that gives a reasonable indicator of the earliest Series 2 (if they ever happen) will be after that date. That leaves a pretty wide gap between the initial projected release date (August) and the arrival of new ships.

Given previous timing issues Series 2 could be a year or more away??

So there is a gap that could be filled by other methods in the same way as WoW. Any 3D designers out there looking to 1:1000 ships, and if so, what?

Sea Gull
03-13-2013, 05:14
I would imagine/hope that some sort of generic merchant vessel, lugger sort of thing would be easiest to work on with the advantage that they'd also be of use for those not able to fight full scale actions. Of course I know Jack Sh!t about the intracacies of 3D modelling and Shapeways so I may be competely wrong. But these types of ship will always come in handy. Prize money anyone? :cool:

Berthier
03-13-2013, 05:42
Shapeways could easily suit for ships boats, cutters etc. If they can do a fokker triplane, these would be a piece of cake for anyone with the right software experience

The Royal Hajj
03-13-2013, 07:24
I'm not so sure Series 2 will come out after the first two stretch goal ships. I think it's possible for them to come out at the same time. And with a KS release date of August, we can only assume that the game will hit the stores in Sept at the earliest, most likely Oct. So, a second series of ships 3 months (Jan) down the line is not a long wait at all. Even if they were released in Feb or March, that's only 4 or 5 months.

I'm sure people will start to do SW ships as well. Just remember, being much bigger models and more complex, the WSF with it's troublsome texture is not going to be in the $7-$9 range.

PilGrim
03-13-2013, 07:41
Agreed, wsf wont float on this one (pardon the pun) although I'm not sure they're technically bigger models. there's an awful lot of voids in there. I don't think it would be desirable to make them one piece either - although technically I'm sure its possible, because it would be a pain to paint them.

Is that Series 2 3 months after release based on any info or just enthusiasm \ wishful thinking?

The availability of different models is in my view fairly critical to any game longevity. The current releases may be 16 "ships" but only four actual models as I understand it, the rest being stats & paint. Throwing in Victory & Constitution to scenarios is going to be difficult with the current ship mix. While it is true to say everyone uses 74s, theyre not all visually identical. A French 1st Rate would be rather welcome for instance

RichardPF
03-13-2013, 10:37
... I'm sure people will start to do SW ships as well. Just remember, being much bigger models and more complex, the WSF with it's troublsome texture is not going to be in the $7-$9 range.

A question I would have is:
Once you have a 3D printed model of another class of ship how are you going to use it in the game?

You won't have movement cards for it, you won't have performance or damage parameters.
Aren't most of the WW I planes available from Shapeways of airplane types that already exist in the game and used to create planes that are not available in a particular desired pilot paint scheme?

RichardPF
03-13-2013, 10:45
I'm not so sure Series 2 will come out after the first two stretch goal ships. I think it's possible for them to come out at the same time. And with a KS release date of August, we can only assume that the game will hit the stores in Sept at the earliest, most likely Oct. So, a second series of ships 3 months (Jan) down the line is not a long wait at all. Even if they were released in Feb or March, that's only 4 or 5 months.

Might the release schedule also be a bit dependent on the results of the Galaxy Defenders KS project Ares has in que to start right after this one ends?

David Manley
03-13-2013, 12:27
A question I would have is:
Once you have a 3D printed model of another class of ship how are you going to use it in the game?

You won't have movement cards for it, you won't have performance or damage parameters.
Aren't most of the WW I planes available from Shapeways of airplane types that already exist in the game and used to create planes that are not available in a particular desired pilot paint scheme?

Most of the Shapeways types are "new"aircraft. There is a committee on the Aerodrome who work up stats for these based on previous types and their knowledge of WW1 aircraft. I imagine that working up stats for new ships will be much simpler, and manoeuvre decks can either be based on existing ones, or some enterprising souls will work them up and make them available via the files sections here.

Blackrose
03-14-2013, 08:08
Most of the Shapeways types are "new"aircraft. There is a committee on the Aerodrome who work up stats for these based on previous types and their knowledge of WW1 aircraft. I imagine that working up stats for new ships will be much simpler, and manoeuvre decks can either be based on existing ones, or some enterprising souls will work them up and make them available via the files sections here.

Of course there's the matter of performance data. WW1 aircraft are much more recent than 18th-19th cen Line of Battleships. So where did Ares get their figures?
Karl

DeRuyter
03-14-2013, 14:43
Of course there's the matter of performance data. WW1 aircraft are much more recent than 18th-19th cen Line of Battleships. So where did Ares get their figures?
Karl

That is a question being asked in the more "serious" age of sail forums, where skeptics abound. There is performance data available and of course speed can be calculated based on the LWL, etc. I think designers then as now recorded the performance characteristics of their ships, and studied the enemy designs as well.

The Royal Hajj
03-14-2013, 15:05
That is a question being asked in the more "serious" age of sail forums, where skeptics abound. There is performance data available and of course speed can be calculated based on the LWL, etc. I think designers then as now recorded the performance characteristics of their ships, and studied the enemy designs as well.

Perhaps we should all go to their sites and ask them where their performance data came from? lol

David Manley
03-15-2013, 03:52
Karl

By engaging the services of a number of long standing age-of-sail naval wargamers, I believe.

Berthier
03-15-2013, 04:48
By engaging the services of a number of long standing age-of-sail naval wargamers, I believe.

Hmm, who could that be? David?:)

The Royal Hajj
03-15-2013, 07:23
I also know the rules were written with a naval historian. I think it is the same person that gets credit on the box besides Andrea.

Pirate Queen
04-17-2013, 06:19
There's a problem with Shapeways here.
The hull requires Fear Uncertainty and Doubt - er - FUD, to get the detail.
The masts/sails require WSF so they don't shatter in a mild breeze.

Set of "generic" masts/sails in WSF, then hollow-bottom FUD hulls-on-bases might work, but would require assembly.

Berthier
04-17-2013, 06:51
Agreed I've broken numerous aircraft models (dont squeeze the wings too hard the struts fracture) so the masts pose an interesting problem and in a previous posting I thought as you do they would need to be "cast" separately. Ths will facilitate painting though. Current 3D manufacturing for hobbies may not yet have affordable materials with the required strength, affordable being the critical point, so what we may see is other manufacturers re-casting in white pewter exisiting models in a different scale. I know casting relies on molds and masters and you cant just "scale up" but their sculptors may be able to produce a master in a relatively short time and casting takes little to no time at all.

If there is a market, someone will build it.

PLUS it is much much easier to paint a white pewter or lead model than shapeways materials, it wont be porous and it wont need the number of coats, the detail can be probably finer as well.

RichardPF
04-18-2013, 09:18

I'm sure people will start to do SW ships as well. Just remember, being much bigger models and more complex, the WSF with it's troublsome texture is not going to be in the $7-$9 range.

Both Shapeways and Sculpteo price their creations by the volume of material.
The ships will have a larger volume of material than the planes do (at least the single seaters) so would cost more.

I am actually working up some information on this as part of my 3D projects so will have more to report soon.

David Manley
04-18-2013, 09:23
Unlike WGF (where a large proportion of my air fleets are from Shapeways) I don't think I'll be touching this with a barge pole as far as SW models are concerned, with the possible exception of small craft and shore batteries. And to be honest, there is so much faith in the ability of 1/1200 and 1/1000 models to coexist on the table that even there I am doubtful as to whether it would be worth it given what is already available in metal. Larger forts and fortresses - maybe yes, as there is a dearth of these available in any scale.

Beowulf03809
04-18-2013, 09:39
I can't wait until we get the real models in hand and some of you with existing fleets can post some comparison shots. Not just the close-and-personal pics where differences will really show up but also some arms-length pics to see how they compare at playing distances on the table.

7eat51
04-18-2013, 22:23
If there is a market, someone will build it.

The question is if there is a market. As has been pointed out, there are other scales readily available and established, some of which might be acceptable to SoG players. Is there a sizable market for 1/1000 outside of SoG? As for the stats, cards, etc., folks here will generate much of that if WoG is any indicator.

I think if there is a secondary market in scale, it will be for non-ship related components, or for small boats that Ares forgoes making.