BonhommeRichard
03-11-2013, 12:46
The sinking of the Bounty23642365236623672368

Green flash
03-11-2013, 13:03
Sad indeed.

csadn
03-11-2013, 14:27
Not to mention "thunderingly stupid" -- in weather like that, captains of the period knew to find the nearest harbor and get in it; and if they were in harbor, *stay there*.

Berthier
03-11-2013, 15:27
I suppose that is what is known as foundering

Jack Aubrey
03-12-2013, 06:24
Sad, indeed sad, it is a loss.

7eat51
03-12-2013, 14:35
Not to mention "thunderingly stupid" -- in weather like that, captains of the period knew to find the nearest harbor and get in it; and if they were in harbor, *stay there*.

Or was it arrogance?

BonhommeRichard
03-12-2013, 14:38
i have spoke with my father about it and this is what we came to think the ship was being sold and the captain had captained it for a good 30 years his services were no longer needed aboard it and he was being pushed out so this is the question i pose to you do you think it was a last hoorah for the captain? or do you think that he tried to sail through it to show that he was still needed to secure a place with the new owner?

csadn
03-12-2013, 16:49
i have spoke with my father about it and this is what we came to think the ship was being sold and the captain had captained it for a good 30 years his services were no longer needed aboard it and he was being pushed out so this is the question i pose to you do you think it was a last hoorah for the captain? or do you think that he tried to sail through it to show that he was still needed to secure a place with the new owner?

The Cynic says "insurance fraud". Getting kicked to the curb; so take the thing out, and "lose it" to the storm....

Blackrose
03-14-2013, 07:52
The Cynic says "insurance fraud". Getting kicked to the curb; so take the thing out, and "lose it" to the storm....

Doesn't need to be so base a motive. One last stormy trip, depression-caused funk, losing sight of the consiquences....
Call it arrogance, if you like. Certainly a miscalculation.
Karl

Comte de Brueys
03-22-2013, 10:22
It was definitely the storm and not a German submarine.

The hull seems pretty intact.

Capt P
03-22-2013, 15:32
Sad to see but shows what must have had happen many time in those days.

Jack Aubrey
03-24-2013, 02:31
It was definitely the storm and not a German submarine.

The hull seems pretty intact.

...there are only two kinds of vessels.....U-Boote and targets.....:shootright:

csadn
03-24-2013, 16:48

Three -- you forgot Aircraft Carriers (and their ASW units). >;)

Blackrose
03-25-2013, 16:38

:takecover:

Jack Aubrey
03-26-2013, 03:19

Sorry, but you are wrong.
It was an old German diesel-electric boat, U 24, thats come up near by the USS Enterprise and had broken through the safty ring; see http://www.internnett.de/Deutsches-UBoot-schlich-sich-unentdeckt-an-amerikanischen-Flugzeugtraeger.htm the admiral was not amused. some more info: http://www.abendblatt.de/politik/ausland/article483581/Das-Zielfoto-das-einen-US-Admiral-wuetend-machte.html
Now a newer one in on his way to a manoever with the USS-Navy, one of the absolute quite and modern fuel cell boats, and the same situation, to catch the carrier. And
the fuel cell boats can operate in coastal waters in only 14m waterdeep, fullspeed. And they don`t need to come up to fill the batterys.
http://www.n24.de/news/newsitem_8580576.html Here are a good picture of the new boats.
I think, it is a fascinating cat and mouse game ; in a month or two we know more about it.
So don`t fear a carrier...:shootright::shootleft:
:wink:

Comte de Brueys
03-26-2013, 05:10
Wunderbar, Ulrich!

Good and actual information. :salute:

A proof for the deadliness of German submarines.

I read the article about the maneuver with an US hunter versus a German sub, too. They were not able to detect the U-Boot. This was confirmed by US-officers on board of the German sub.

Jack Aubrey
03-26-2013, 05:43
yes Sven, but we don`t want to start a new war. :sly:
Submarines are deadly, and technics goes on. So sometimes they will find a solution to find them. But I think, the time of carriers goes, like the time of destroyers before. Now Frigats the modern ships in modern navys, and of course moderns subs. And we have different conflicts, that needs special forces. What will it be in a few years?
I hope, the only war I actually had is the war on my gamemat , WoW and SoG.
:minis:
but it is a fascinating game, an Idea for a new boardgame...:happy:

7eat51
03-26-2013, 07:41
I think you two - Sven and Uli - have just brought submarines and torpedo boats into the SoG discussion. Off to another thread to add these to the list of accessories.

Comte de Brueys
03-26-2013, 12:59
yes Sven, but we don`t want to start a new war. :sly:

Of course not, but it shows that Germany has still weapon developing capacities to produce advanced tanks and submarines. :thumbsup:

csadn
03-26-2013, 15:10
http://www.internnett.de/Deutsches-UBoot-schlich-sich-unentdeckt-an-amerikanischen-Flugzeugtraeger.htmhttp://www.abendblatt.de/politik/ausland/article483581/Das-Zielfoto-das-einen-US-Admiral-wuetend-machte.html

Yes, I heard about that one -- and as I type this, someone's developing a way to pick up fuel-cell subs on sonar (if one hasn't already been developed)....

As for Not Fearing CVs: When governments start wondering about who's going to war with them next, do they ask "Where are their subs?" Nope -- they ask "Where are their carriers?". A sub's firepower can't be called back; a CV's can.

Comte de Brueys
03-27-2013, 02:02
In case of the Bundesmarine they would ask for the subs because we have no Flugzeugträger. :wink:

Israel use the German submarines, too. (...and get the first two boats for free :moneygone: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin-Klasse) But I personally see no problem with this arragement.

csadn
03-27-2013, 14:52
In case of the Bundesmarine they would ask for the subs because we have no Flugzeugträger.

"Well, *there's* your problem...." ;)

Israel use the German submarines, too. (...and get the first two boats for free :moneygone: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin-Klasse) But I personally see no problem with this arragement.

"I guess Irony can be pretty Ironic sometimes." :)

And I'm still waiting for Israel to suddenly turn up with a supertanker converted to an AuxCV....

Cmmdre
10-24-2013, 07:37
I suppose that is what is known as foundering

I'm sure it happened to many vessels that disappeared at sea. :steer:
After Wasp and Atalanta parted company, nothing more was heard from Wasp. She was last seen by a Swedish merchantman bound from Rio de Janeiro to Falmouth, England, about three weeks after the Atalanta capture and was said to be headed for the Caribbean. Wasp probably foundered in a storm.

Nightmoss
10-24-2013, 09:17
I'm sure it happened to many vessels that disappeared at sea. :steer:
After Wasp and Atalanta parted company, nothing more was heard from Wasp. She was last seen by a Swedish merchantman bound from Rio de Janeiro to Falmouth, England, about three weeks after the Atalanta capture and was said to be headed for the Caribbean. Wasp probably foundered in a storm.

Or disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle? :hmmm:

Gunner
10-24-2013, 10:51
Or disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle? :hmmm:

That's got my vote. Makes for a better story.

Nightmoss
10-24-2013, 15:10
That's got my vote. Makes for a better story.

Almost sounds like movie material? I'd go see an alternate history/parallel universe Age of Sail flick! :happy:

Zedzeke
03-06-2014, 10:17
Wow, i think this is postmodern artwork ;-)
if you will give me the copyright, i will print it out and will hang it up in my living room
like the colors and the dramatic of this pictures

7eat51
03-06-2014, 12:01
Wow, i think this is postmodern artwork

A bit Rothko-esque.

Naharaht
03-06-2014, 15:22
I think that your pictures must have been corrupted in the site update because they look like abstract art to me.

Gunner
03-06-2014, 16:18
What David said.