PDA

View Full Version : Growing interest

Horatio
03-10-2013, 12:42
I signed up to the Sails of Glory Anchorage when it first appeared, over the months my interest waned, like many people due to the lack of progress in producing the game. Now with the approaching release of the game and after reading some of the previews my interest has been re-awakened. I don't know if I will invest a lot of cash in the game but it certainly looks worthwhile trying it out a few times. I may even purchase the game when it appears in the UK shops. I cannot countenance paying the prices on kickstarter as I feel that you pay a lot of money for not much extra.

Sea Gull
03-10-2013, 12:52
I know that only by taking part in the KS would I have bought the game. Not that I know of many places over here that may have stocked it. Seems my main opportunity would have been either Crisis (Antwerp) or Triples (Sheffield), the two shows I always make an effort to attend.

Maintaining the level of intrest and enthusiasm between now and the release can only come from the vibe of the community. I'm certain if I was at home with no community to partake in, my interest would die really quickly and something else would arise to take it's place.

Comte de Brueys
03-10-2013, 13:11
Maybe British Gunner would be an option for you Don.

Supporting the game and get some exclusive ships.

Horatio
03-10-2013, 14:12
Sorry but I don't think two ships for $50 much of a bargain.

Maybe British Gunner would be an option for you Don.

Supporting the game and get some exclusive ships.

Volunteer
03-10-2013, 18:49
Sorry but I don't think two ships for $50 much of a bargain.

I'm with you Don. I can buy 3 far superior ships from Rod Langton plus a couple of extra sail sets for that money.

The Royal Hajj
03-10-2013, 21:08
The international shipping is a downer as discussed many times here and else where. If I was in your shoes Don, I'd feel the same way.

But trying to compare a couple of Langton ships to Sails of Glory ships on a financial level is like comparing sloops to ships of the line.

In the realm of playing Sails of Glory, you would need to add to the cost of the Langton mini (which are beautiful models), a 3rd part base or one you custom make, a stat card, a log book, and a maneuver deck. Oh, you would also have to add the time you spent building and painting it. Throw in the better packaging that the Sails mini comes with (if we need it or not, it has to be nicer for a mainstream game) and you can quickly see why the Sails minis are more expensive.

7eat51
03-10-2013, 21:23
Maintaining the level of intrest and enthusiasm between now and the release can only come from the vibe of the community. I'm certain if I was at home with no community to partake in, my interest would die really quickly and something else would arise to take it's place.

Personally, I have found that participating with folks here and on the Aerodrome has not only been enjoyable in itself, but has created other inroads into the era and general hobby. With WoG, the more I learn from others about history, technical specs, etc., the more I enjoy and want to play the game. The more I play the game, the more I want to interact with folks here and learn about …. Socializing with the community has enriched the game, and the game has enriched the socializing with the community. I hope that once SoG goes live, the interaction here will continue to develop.

The Royal Hajj
03-10-2013, 21:30
I've created a vicious cycle 2360

Sea Gull
03-11-2013, 01:59
I've created a vicious cycle 2360

You must be the Forum equivalent of a drug baron.:cool: You come along with a new 'product' and get us all hooked on it. Just when we think we can manage our addition ... along comes another community forum. You sir are a bad man!:p

All the same the addicted part of me says thank you very much.

Sea Gull
03-11-2013, 02:05
Personally, I have found that participating with folks here and on the Aerodrome has not only been enjoyable in itself, but has created other inroads into the era and general hobby. With WoG, the more I learn from others about history, technical specs, etc., the more I enjoy and want to play the game. The more I play the game, the more I want to interact with folks here and learn about …. Socializing with the community has enriched the game, and the game has enriched the socializing with the community. I hope that once SoG goes live, the interaction here will continue to develop.

I agee entirely Eric. An international community with friendly people of all knowledge and skill levels stimulates, inspires and increases understanding of the period we share a common insterest in. The fact is that both here and the Aerodrome, the periods of interest are essentially about times when men were doing their best to kill each other. Yet both forums have served to bring people together from around the world. I think that is marvellous.

Diamondback
03-11-2013, 03:32
I would suspect in both cases, part of it is nostalgia for a more civilized time, when men met in battle and fought each other honorably in the open as opposed to the dishonorable and cowardly methods of the enemy hiding among and maximizing casualties to civilians in GWOT.

7eat51
03-11-2013, 08:18
I agee entirely Eric. An international community with friendly people of all knowledge and skill levels stimulates, inspires and increases understanding of the period we share a common insterest in. The fact is that both here and the Aerodrome, the periods of interest are essentially about times when men were doing their best to kill each other. Yet both forums have served to bring people together from around the world. I think that is marvellous.

I have thought about this quite a bit over the past few months. It is especially apparent when folks enjoy collecting and playing forces that were opposed to their home country. Maybe we should gather political leaders into a room and force them to play a few games together and share in some posting.

There is a WWI film that captures the shared humanity of opposing forces and is well worth watching - Joyeux Noel:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424205/

I would suspect in both cases, part of it is nostalgia for a more civilized time, when men met in battle and fought each other honorably in the open as opposed to the dishonorable and cowardly methods of the enemy hiding among and maximizing casualties to civilians in GWOT.

I have read enough stories about pilots to believe some form of chivalry was still alive in the air, but I wonder how true this is of the experience of those in the trenches. They might have had similar feelings to your last statement when they faced machine guns and gas.

Sea Gull
03-11-2013, 12:43
I remember a book I read about trench warfare and some of the strange things that happened. Even in that hell there seemed to exist a sort of live-and-let-live attitude for a lot of the time.

Joyeux Noel is a marvellous film, as is Beneath Hill 60 - but without any Christmas spirit.

7eat51
03-12-2013, 14:23
Beneath Hill 60 - but without any Christmas spirit.

Thanks for the title. Just looked it up on amazon and am adding it to my cart.

Capt P
03-21-2013, 17:00
Well I have made my KS donation so looking forward to the game release. Another good game I hope to play with an old friend.

Devsdoc
03-21-2013, 19:33
I still thank it is sad that I have models that I will not be able to use with S.O.G. game:cry: Do I buy the game and let my model ships get dusty, or let what seems a good game go by:help: Pay for the game and let ££££££,s go or buy more Langtons:question:
Be safe
Rory

The Royal Hajj
03-21-2013, 20:07
Rory,

I think you will find that it would not be too hard to play using your Langton ships... the maneuver decks are going to be the hardest part to come by without buying any ship models. You would also have to re-base your current ships or come up with an add on base of some type.

David Manley
03-21-2013, 23:18
Having thought about this a lot myself (I have somewhere in the region of a hundred existing models in 1/1200 and just unearthed another 30 or so to do, plus another 40 in 1/450) the answer is "not too difficult as long as you have a starter set" (and I'm guessing a RAP which I would expect people are going to find a necessity as they move to actions involving more than just a handful of ships - those damage chits will only stretch so far, as they do in WoW/WoG). In the same way as non-official ship aircraft stats and cards have appeared for aircraft, stats and player generated cards will almost certainly appear here or elsewhere on the internet. Manoeuvre decks most likely the same, but if not as long as you have one of each deck there is a simple method that allows that one deck to be used for any number of ships (of course a deck per model in play would be a better thing to have) - actually you could use the same system for aircraft but due to the differing nature of the decks and range of manoeuvres it would have a massive "faff" factor and so I always use individual decks per plane).

Movement and firing arcs can be dealt with through simple templates alongside, or overlays as in other AoS games. I would not be surprised to see tese from Aerodrome (Anchorage?) Accessories in due course.

For my own part I can see SoG being another element in my AoS schizophrenia - I'll play SoG out of the box with the models with one group of friends, SoG with our extensive existing 1/1200 collections with another group. 1/1200 with preferred sets of rules with another, and small ship actions / demo games with SoG or a MoW variant with 1/450 models. Oh, and fleet action games in 1/2400!

Berthier
03-22-2013, 02:03
For my own part I can see SoG being another element in my AoS schizophrenia - I'll play SoG out of the box with the models with one group of friends, SoG with our extensive existing 1/1200 collections with another group. 1/1200 with preferred sets of rules with another, and small ship actions / demo games with SoG or a MoW variant with 1/450 models. Oh, and fleet action games in 1/2400!

David I think you have a problem of perspective, I'm sure there are medications that can help you and others trying to sort the scale of the problem appropriately :happy::happy:

David Manley
03-22-2013, 02:40
Something you don't want is a sense of perspective. Google "Total Perspective Vortex" for details :)

Berthier
03-22-2013, 03:22
Ha, Hitchhikers guide, totally forgot that, good point!

7eat51
03-22-2013, 07:04

Nicely stated. I think, too often, we look for the perfect game without considering that a game is related to a particular audience. This is one reason I like collecting different games concerning a given era or campaign, etc. For Age-of-Sail, as an example, I have several good titles such as Flying Colors and Close Action, along with their expansions. I have a set of rules by someone named David that I purchased recently, WS&IM, and now SoG. Two mates on this site have pointed me to Kiss Me Hardy and Blood, Bilge, and Iron Balls that I will pickup later this year. Not only do I have some variety for me, but I can choose a game based on whom I am playing with at a given time. I think games should be viewed as foundations and not limits, things one can build upon and tweak. Seeing the many fine rule additions on the Aerodrome assures me we'll see the same here.

David Manley
03-22-2013, 07:07
Two mates on this site have pointed me to Kiss Me Hardy and Blood, Bilge, and Iron Balls that I will pickup later this year.

I have them both, very nice they are too.

7eat51
03-22-2013, 07:20
I have them both, very nice they are too.

Maybe I won't wait until later. Thanks for the confirmation.

Sea Gull
03-22-2013, 08:32
Kiss My Hardy was one of the first hard copy AoS rules I bought, simply because it was stated that you didn't need to know how to sail a frigate to be able to play them. I'll be looking to use the SoG models for KMH as well as for SoG. So in that respect maybe the cost evens itself out for me. Of course if I had the skill of Vol or Whitejamest that may have been different. Unfortunately I don't so I need to make the most of any opportunity to get models for my chosen periods that can be used with as many different rules as possible.

With the WoW/WoG models I play Algernon Pulls It Off (also by TooFatLardies) and will attempt to actually get a game of Wings of Glory too.:embarass: Horses for courses, and my horse needs to run on many different courses.:happy:

7eat51
03-22-2013, 08:43
With the WoW/WoG models I play Algernon Pulls It Off (also by TooFatLardies) and will attempt to actually get a game of Wings of Glory too.

I just saw Algernon Pulls It Off a few minutes ago. What do you think of the system?

You will enjoy the WoG rules - easy, intuitive, engaging.

Sea Gull
03-22-2013, 09:33
I just saw Algernon Pulls It Off a few minutes ago. What do you think of the system?

You will enjoy the WoG rules - easy, intuitive, engaging.

I played X-Wing with a non-gaming friend of mine the other day and he loved it. But he did say he wanted to play something with all the WW1 planes I have. So I guess I'll get a starter for WoG, maybe a Duel Set to start with, is that a good option? I'll have a big game when I go over to the UK for Triples in May. Officer Kyte and the UK lads have offered to shoot me down. :sad:

I really like most TooFatLardies rules sets. In fact their rules have fired an interest in periods I'd never before considered playing. Their philosophy of gaming appeals to me. They don't believe in points systems, balanced scenarios or IGO-UGO. For Algy they're moving from a hex-based system to a hexless system. This version of the rules is still in the playtest stage. If you want a good idea of what the game is like pay a visit to Fat Wallys web site. (http://fat-wally.com/) He's also on the Aerodrome site. They are also doing a character campaign add on for it, so that you can control the pilots of a squadron or Jasta and watch them progress, or fall as the war continues.

It's another set of rules with which you can use your planes.

7eat51
03-22-2013, 11:05
I played X-Wing with a non-gaming friend of mine the other day and he loved it. But he did say he wanted to play something with all the WW1 planes I have. So I guess I'll get a starter for WoG, maybe a Duel Set to start with, is that a good option? I'll have a big game when I go over to the UK for Triples in May. Officer Kyte and the UK lads have offered to shoot me down. :sad:

I really like most TooFatLardies rules sets. In fact their rules have fired an interest in periods I'd never before considered playing. Their philosophy of gaming appeals to me. They don't believe in points systems, balanced scenarios or IGO-UGO. For Algy they're moving from a hex-based system to a hexless system. This version of the rules is still in the playtest stage. If you want a good idea of what the game is like pay a visit to Fat Wallys web site. (http://fat-wally.com/) He's also on the Aerodrome site. They are also doing a character campaign add on for it, so that you can control the pilots of a squadron or Jasta and watch them progress, or fall as the war continues.

It's another set of rules with which you can use your planes.

Thanks for the pointers. I will check them out.

How do you like X-Wing? I am not very interested in sic-fi type of stuff, but if the mechanics are good, I might pick it up to play with friends who are fans of the genre.

Duel packs are nice in that you get all the basics for a basic game. The Rules and Accessories Pack will provide the full set of rules and additional types of decks, which I am pretty sure you would grow into. In some ways it is like buying a computer - buy for your future needs and not just your current ones.

Sea Gull
03-22-2013, 11:16
We played the basic X-Wing game which was extremely simple to set up and play. Didn't actually need to reference the rules at all after the 2nd move. Just what you want for a Beer & Pretzels game. The standard ruels will add more complexities and more options. I also bought a couple of extra ships just in case more friends come around and we decide to just have a quick game. Basically the simple version was quick and fun, I may even take it on holidays as it beats the games I usually end up playing.:happy:

I'll see if any web stores have them over here, if not I'll get the set when I go to triples in May. I may even spring for a Duel set and some more planes (you can't have enough) from AA since Keith does a good deal.

Devsdoc
03-22-2013, 15:12
O.K. Vol this is for you my friend.
Hi All, do I give this all up for S.O.G.:question: Roberto thinks I must :cry:
Be safe
Rory

David Manley
03-22-2013, 15:58
Be safe
Rory

Never give up, never surrender!

Sea Gull
03-22-2013, 17:05
Why give up? Why not simply add to? :question:

I'm sure there are enough people with a great collection already that will use the SoG system to play their games with. A little bit of ingenuity here and there and it should be possible. Look at WoG and the different Shapeways planes being used.

To be honest though, if I had that lot, I'd be frightened of playing with them. They are exquisite and are really pieces of art. I'd have to insist on using white forensic gloves to move the pieces around the terrain!:envy::minis:

Thank you for at least showing us this fine collection.

Volunteer
03-22-2013, 19:19
Rory, you should open a new thread with these photos so everyone sees them. They'll be buried here and only folks that are following this thread will see them. I've said it before and I'll say it again, your port and town are awesome! Way better than mine. And your ships look fantastic!

Best regards.
Vol

O.K. Vol this is for you my friend.
Be safe
Rory

Devsdoc
03-22-2013, 20:08
Vol, do not laugh at me, Can I show my pics on a new thread? How do I open a new thread. Sorry to ask!
Be safe
Rory
P.S. got my little pic working.

7eat51
03-22-2013, 20:20
Hey Rory,

Go to the Chippy Shop Forum. Scroll down and you will see a blue button entitled Post New Thread. If you need any more help, don't hesitate to ask.

As for showing your work, BY ALL MEANS YES!!! It is beautiful.

Eric

Devsdoc
03-22-2013, 20:25
Chris,
They are wargaming figures, they are used all the time by me and old and new gamers. They are not pieces of art. I hope one day we may get to play. If you wish use my ships that is O.K., but if you put on gloves I will hit you:hmmm::happy:
Be safe
Rory

Devsdoc
03-22-2013, 20:32
Thanks Eirc, I,m going now
Be safe
Rory

csadn
03-24-2013, 16:45
Hi All, do I give this all up for S.O.G.

Bah -- you're never gonna give it up, never gonna let it down....

[departs area ahead of incoming fire >;) ]

Devsdoc
03-24-2013, 19:29
See I,m getting good at this.
Bah -- you're never gonna give it up, never gonna let it down....

[departs area ahead of incoming fire >;) ]

No not S.o.L. but maybe S.O.G. I feel (I have said this before,at some time) like a small kid looking into S.O.G. toy-shop window at Christmas. Or a school bully saying to me "You can'nt play in our gang. Your shoes are not the right one,s " I'm Sorry been taking to Roberto's gang tonight and I is angry.
Be safe.
Rory:angry:

Diamondback
03-24-2013, 19:47
Like some guys said, why not do both? With my eyes I'm not so sure I'd SEE the difference, and I'd think that your harbor would be just fine for SoG.

Lemme ask you this... if we just posted photos and nobody said anything about 1/1000 vs 1/1200, how many of us would be able to even TELL there's a difference?

Devsdoc
03-24-2013, 20:12
Like some guys said, why not do both? With my eyes I'm not so sure I'd SEE the difference, and I'd think that your harbor would be just fine for SoG.

Lemme ask you this... if we just posted photos and nobody said anything about 1/1000 vs 1/1200, how many of us would be able to even TELL there's a difference?
Hi Diamondback.
It is not the scale, It's the mind-set. They would not have thought to do S.O.G. without us who painted our our ships in the frist place. By the way why are you Restricted?:takecover:
Be safe
Rory

Diamondback
03-24-2013, 20:27
Rory, re the BTW, my college girlfriend had a stalker ex so dangerous that on a few cop friends' advice (some of my range buddies are on the local SWAT team) I carried a licensed .45 every day (and frequently still do, though my most likely threat day-to-day is the bloody meth-heads and coke-fiends around here), and while SHE left my life long ago, HE's still the type to lash out at any who'd dare try to replace him.

"Effective Counterintelligence is the First Line of Defense," you know, amigo? :)

Devsdoc
03-24-2013, 21:12
Hi Diamondback:embarass::salute:
I had to ask sorry in the U.K. life is not as mad YET!
BE SAFE
Rory

7eat51
03-24-2013, 21:36
Hi Diamondback.
It is not the scale, It's the mind-set. They would not have thought to do S.O.G. without us who painted our our ships in the frist place.

Rory, I don't know about other sites, but on the Anchorage, you are very welcome. The first part of ignorance is ignore, and please do so. We would hate to lose folks like you due to someone who does not speak for the group.

Diamondback
03-25-2013, 04:52
For the record... until we get "official" releases for everything, I'd have no problem using 1/1200 from Langton--IF I could get one successfully built with my stubby little mini-baseball-bat fingers--to fill out the Orders of Battle. :) May take some creative improvising, but... they say when there's a will there's a way.

Sea Gull
03-25-2013, 09:44
they say when there's a will there's a way.

Actually where there's a will, there's a William. :happy:

David Manley
03-25-2013, 10:14
Actually where there's a will, there's a William. :happy:

or an inheritance :D

Diamondback
03-25-2013, 10:16
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcyzhhi5JB1rkqzhgo1_400.jpg

Sea Gull
03-25-2013, 10:35
:erk:
:smack:

David Manley
03-25-2013, 10:37
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcyzhhi5JB1rkqzhgo1_400.jpg

WhoHellHe?

Sea Gull
03-25-2013, 10:41
WhoHellHe?

You don't know Hotch??? :dazed:

He's the guy who invented the idea of Hotchpotch :happy:

*Ducks down as Diamonback unleashes a full 32lbs broadside our direction.*:takecover:

Diamondback
03-25-2013, 10:42
It's a reference to FBI SSA Aaron 'Hotch' Hotchner on the TV show Criminal Minds, his own version of the NCIS Gibbs-slap--the kind of I Am NOT Amused stare that inspires loss of bladder or bowel control in some.

Chris-> :smack:

:P

Sea Gull
03-25-2013, 10:44
My wife likes the Reid character

David Manley
03-25-2013, 10:53
It's a reference to FBI SSA Aaron 'Hotch' Hotchner on the TV show Criminal Minds, his own version of the NCIS Gibbs-slap--the kind of I Am NOT Amused stare that inspires loss of bladder or bowel control in some.

Chris-> :smack:

:P

ah, OK, something SWMBO would have known then. One for the ladies :)

Diamondback
03-25-2013, 10:54
@Chris: Yeah, my mother wishes she could trade me in on Spence... even if he does need a little Love Tap A La Jethro on a frequent basis--and I actually had a Psych prof who called me "Reid's Evil Twin". *Palpatine cackle*

DM, not ness--it's yet another police-procedural/crime-drama, this one focused on serial killers and the profilers who hunt them.

BonhommeRichard
03-25-2013, 12:56
my main problem at this point in times is funding :beer: it all goes to grog

Sea Gull
03-25-2013, 13:19
my main problem at this point in times is funding :beer: it all goes to grog

Not long now Travis. At least that's what I have to keep telling myself. :hmmm:

Devsdoc
03-25-2013, 15:18
I thank its someone from over the pond. D-back who is he????
Be safe
Rory

Blackrose
03-25-2013, 16:19
they say when there's a will there's a way.

or an inheritance :D

Usually, there's a lawyer attached too! :erk:
Karl

Sea Gull
03-25-2013, 16:47
Usually, there's a lawyer attached too! :erk:
Karl

I think that's called a universal constant. :puke::pistole:

David Manley
03-25-2013, 16:57
DM, not ness--it's yet another police-procedural/crime-drama, this one focused on serial killers and the profilers who hunt them.

Yes ness, my missus laps that stuff up. Very worrying sometimes........

7eat51
03-25-2013, 18:21
Yes ness, my missus laps that stuff up. Very worrying sometimes........

Someone once noted that the best murder mystery writers are women. I never drink anything my wife prepares for me before bed.

Diamondback
03-25-2013, 22:57
12 backers to one next goal, $4100 to the other, and just hanging.

Rory, I already posted re character and show, actor is Thomas Gibson.

Devsdoc
03-26-2013, 16:30
Rory, I already posted re character and show, actor is Thomas Gibson.

Thanks D-back, I'm a little slow
Be safe
Rory