PDA

View Full Version : Hornblower et al

Sea Gull
03-10-2013, 08:43
I've just purchased the complete DVD set of the Hornblower TV series, which I intend to start watching this week.

Does anyone know of anything else comparrable that I can watch after I've finished the Hornblower series? Something to get into the spirit of things. I see we have a book reviews section, might it be useful to also have a Film/TV section where members can post reviews of topical films/series?

Cheers
Chris

Coog
03-10-2013, 08:46
Check this thread:

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?417-Which-Movie-Is-Your-Favorite

Sea Gull
03-10-2013, 09:55
Since the other was a poll I wondered if there happened to be any more out there.

Coog
03-10-2013, 10:18
That's just about all that's out there. While there are lots of pirate movies, there is just not much in the way of movies made about Napoleonic era naval warfare. Russell Crowe fought for a sequel to Master and Commander but the original just did not do well enough for an investment in a second movie. As I said before in a prior post, the movie going public is more interested in movies like Pirates of the Caribbean than ones that are more historically realistic (with some leeway for entertainment value) like Master and Commander.

Sea Gull
03-10-2013, 10:32
Bugger! :mad: While I like Pirate of the Caribbean for entertainment I was looking for something to a) take my mind of a long period of absence and b) keep my enthusiasm going for this game which won't be out until August.

Guess I'll have to read some more books if I can. Or include WW1 stuff.:rolleyes:

HMS Lydia
03-12-2013, 10:28
I wish they had continued the Hornblower saga. The movie made in the 50's would lack continuity with the mini-series. They stopped just prior to the Movie in the saga. Perhaps there were copyright restrictions or some such. Anyone on the inside track that can say why production was halted on any further chapters?

Bob

Sea Gull
03-12-2013, 14:09
The Wikipedia entry for the series had this to say:

Cancellation

Ioan Gruffudd had shown interest in participating in more Hornblower films,[1] and on 20 February 2007, he discussed the possibility of a big-screen version of Hornblower, and was attempting to gain the rights to the books by C.S. Forester. He was quoted as saying "A&E decided that since it's such an expensive venture to make these movies for television, they're not going to make any more at this point. So it's down to me, I think, to try to bring it back to life."

I guess his venture didn't succeed. :(

BonhommeRichard
03-12-2013, 14:32
that really does suck i enjoyed the Hornblower series very much and would love to see it continue i also would love to get the books but i have neither the finances nor the shelf space to house them at this point in time :(

Sea Gull
03-12-2013, 14:57
I had most of the books individually, but then they brought out 3 omnibus books which contained all the stories in chronological order except for the Crisis which I believe he never finished.

Capt P
03-21-2013, 17:04
next game show I go to I have to see what the Hornblower series costs. But for now Master and Commander if the one I like to watch. I wish they would make a second movie as they left it open to continue.

Beowulf03809
03-21-2013, 19:07
Someone needs to get Peter Jackson interested. He did a re-make of Kong afterall, and not even going to mention Tin Tin without a shudder. Someone should put a bug in his ear about Hornblower next time you're mingling with him at a party.

Sea Gull
03-22-2013, 06:25
I bought the complete TV series on DVD for less than €20, and that wasn't discounted. :happy:

7eat51
03-22-2013, 07:18
The complete Hornblower series is on amazon for less than $40 with free shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/Horatio-Hornblower-Collectors-Edition/dp/B004G8N9VO/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1363958127&sr=1-3

Often, amazon has deals in which this price is reduced. It is well worth the money - excellent storytelling and excellent production value.

David Manley
03-22-2013, 07:28
And a very good way in to reading the novels, which are a rich source of scenario ideas. I'm about half way through the series at the moment. gripping stuff and, despite this being the umpteenth time of reading, still immensely enjoyable.

RichardPF
03-22-2013, 08:23
The complete Hornblower series is on amazon for less than $40 with free shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/Horatio-Hornblower-Collectors-Edition/dp/B004G8N9VO/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1363958127&sr=1-3

Often, amazon has deals in which this price is reduced. It is well worth the money - excellent storytelling and excellent production value.

I did not have these either, but at that price it was a done deal; they'll be here Tuesday!

Thanks!

RedArgo
03-22-2013, 20:30
Master and Commander is one of my favorite movies, too bad they couldn't get a sequel. The Hornblower series with Ian is very good too. I actually got my wife, girlfriend at the time, to watch those and she enjoyed them too.

If you're looking for the Hornblower books in digital they have all of them at enet press for about $6 per book. Looks like the Aubrey books are now available digitally now too, they weren't the last time I looked. $10 at Google which is a little cheaper than the paper version.

7eat51
03-22-2013, 20:45
Master and Commander is one of my favorite movies, too bad they couldn't get a sequel. The Hornblower series with Ian is very good too. I actually got my wife, girlfriend at the time, to watch those and she enjoyed them too.

If you're looking for the Hornblower books in digital they have all of them at enet press for about $6 per book. Looks like the Aubrey books are now available digitally now too, they weren't the last time I looked. $10 at Google which is a little cheaper than the paper version.

Hey Bill,

If your looking for Hornblower paperbacks, Babbits had 11 of them (I think) for $2 apiece yesterday.

WoG on Tuesday anytime after 6:00. I think you will find the game very enjoyable. I will try to get George to join us.

EAT

Green flash
03-23-2013, 05:40
I just ordered the first two Hornblower books too read again from Amazon,they have copies from a penny on up...

Capt P
03-23-2013, 14:50
Thanks for sharing the link. Just bought the Hornblower series and the G. Peck movie. Used points so no to bad )$25.00)

Capt P
03-27-2013, 16:06
Movies came today Hornblower (A&E series) and the G. Peck movie. I am taking Friday off so looks like a age of sail weekend.

Coog
03-27-2013, 16:17
Movies came today Hornblower (A&E series) and the G. Peck movie. I am taking Friday off so looks like a age of sail weekend.

That will really put you in the mood wanting to play SoG. You might have to drag out WS&IM or another game to scratch the itch.

RichardPF
03-27-2013, 16:29

Mine came yesterday. Just finished a marathon of all 8 disks.

7eat51
03-27-2013, 17:10

Let us know what you think when finished. Enjoy - they're really well done.

Mine came yesterday. Just finished a marathon of all 8 disks.

And …?

RichardPF
03-27-2013, 17:22
Let us know what you think when finished. Enjoy - they're really well done.
And …?

Considering that this is a TV series not a number of theatrically released movies, the production values are very impressive.

The entire series fits together as a prequel to the Gregory Peck movie of 50 years earlier.

RichardPF
03-27-2013, 17:40
Most seemed quite solid.
The ship represented as HMS Indefatigable was built specifically for the series.
It seemed slightly small to me for a frigate, but not by that much.

Obviously I liked it as I watched all within a 24 hour period.

Two of the episodes involve a mutiny court martial where the events are shown in flashback snips.
That storyline seemed to drag a bit to me, though I found David Warner interesting as the psycho captain.

Robert Lindsay appears as Captain/Commodore/Admiral Sir Edward Pellew.
I found him to be the most solid character of the production.

There is a bit of supplemental/commentary/interview material on the disks but not a great deal.

Trying to avoid spoilers...

7eat51
03-28-2013, 08:23
Robert Lindsay appears as Captain/Commodore/Admiral Sir Edward Pellew.

As I watched the series, I grew to respect and admire him more and more. Here is a biography on Pellew:
http://www.amazon.com/Commander-Exploits-Britains-Greatest-Frigate/dp/0393071642/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Coog
03-28-2013, 08:30
As I watched the series, I grew to respect and admire him more and more. Here is a biography on Pellew:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cart/view-upsell.html?ie=UTF8&HUCT=1&newItems=C1CNVP2QHOCEYP%2C1&nodeID=283155&storeID=books

Eric, I think your link did not come out right.

7eat51
03-28-2013, 10:06
Eric, I think your link did not come out right.

Thanks Bobby. It is now corrected.

Sea Gull
03-28-2013, 12:29
Hmmm, looks like another book to add to the wish list.

Capt P
03-28-2013, 19:27
Just watched the Captain Hornblower G. Peck movie. has been some time since I saw it and really enjoied it.

Sea Gull
03-29-2013, 09:28
Favourite lines always come from Mr Bush. "For what we are about to receive may we be truely grateful." :cannonboom::thumbsup:

Capt P
03-29-2013, 15:37
I liked when Mr. Bush would make a bet and win. I guess he knew his Capt.

RichardPF
03-29-2013, 18:52
I liked when Mr. Bush would make a bet and win. I guess he knew his Capt.

Especially the bet where the only way the other guy would win is if they both died.

Capt P
03-30-2013, 15:57
Last night watched the first two disks of the A&E Hornblower. Haven't seen that show is some time so was a good time last night. Still have the last two to watch and I know they well be as good as the first ones.

RichardPF
03-30-2013, 20:32
Last night watched the first two disks of the A&E Hornblower. Haven't seen that show is some time so was a good time last night. Still have the last two to watch and I know they well be as good as the first ones.

Did you not get 8 disks in your set?

Sea Gull
03-31-2013, 11:47

Don't you like the middle episodes? You should have 8 disks in the set as Bruce says.

Capt P
04-01-2013, 15:32
Well still working on the Hornblower series so gives me something to watch this weekend.