PDA

View Full Version : Movement in SOG

Berthier
03-10-2013, 03:05
There is a video on the Kickstarter site explaining how movement works now. Some questions will have been answered, no doubt more have been raised.

RichardPF
03-11-2013, 00:21
There is a video on the Kickstarter site explaining how movement works now. Some questions will have been answered, no doubt more have been raised.

It looks like the thickness of the base is a necessity as it is the only place on the model to hold the ship while moving it without risking damage to more delicate parts.

If the construction of the ships from a material standpoint is similar to the WoG planes, I can't really think of another way to do this that wouldn't detract more from the visuals.

Sea Gull
03-11-2013, 02:25
The whole movement mechanism seems to be fairly straightforward and simple. The base is an integral part of the movement system but I don't think it will detract from the look of the game.

It's been said somewhere else, I think by Keith, that the WoG planes have the stands and flight pegs, that the 15-28mm figures hae a base, yet once the game is under way you don't tend to sit there and think "bloody hell, that base is a bit thick." It's more likely to be something along the lines of, "for what I'm about to receive may I get the chance for payback." :)

7eat51
03-11-2013, 08:09
I wonder if the bases will mostly be a distraction to those who model; they probably have a significantly more developed aesthetic appreciation than many of the folks who simply want to play a fun game. I have seen this a bit with WoG. Some of the folks there do beautiful repaints and builds, and at times have expressed slight disappointment with recent releases of new planes. For a modeling clod like myself, I am happy with the new releases. However, the more I look at the work of my fellow shipmates and fliers, the more I appreciate the visual possibilities when it comes to minis. Basically, I am thankful for what Ares has and is providing me. Once I try my hand at a little modeling, I might want to change a few things. Time will tell.

Sea Gull
03-11-2013, 12:51
I'm with you on that one Eric.

Devsdoc
03-31-2013, 17:52
It looks like the thickness of the base is a necessity as it is the only place on the model to hold the ship while moving it without risking damage to more delicate parts.

If the construction of the ships from a material standpoint is similar to the WoG planes, I can't really think of another way to do this that wouldn't detract more from the visuals.

If you go to the thread on "Discussions about the game bases"" I have downloaded some photos You may wish to see?
Be safe
Rory