PDA

View Full Version : Future Waves of Sails of Glory

Coog
03-07-2013, 21:07
I noticed the mention of wave 3 in the comments on Kickstarter site:

Creator Ares Games about 10 hours ago

@David, our priority indeed IS releasing new ship models. Wave 3 will include ships of sizes not covered in Wave 1 - French 38-44 guns frigates (Hebe class), Swan class sloops (14 guns), and French and British 1st rate ships, We will extend the lineup in the future. What we plan to do with Wings of Glory, and we will also do with Sails, is that when we REPRINT an existing model, in addition to just reprinting, we extend the line with new variants.

Does anyone have any other info on future waves that I missed?

The Royal Hajj
03-07-2013, 22:03
That is all that has been released.

Diamondback
03-08-2013, 01:53
Well, if we're assuming we want to build up around Trafalgar as a "centerpiece goal"... I'm going to bold existing sculpts or known/believed near-matches and all-cap scheduled-for-release ships and italicize ships Ares has deemed "close enough" but that aren't quite related other than general size and rating. BTW, that Hebe sculpt will make great UK Leda-class frigates for War of 1812!

1805 Oct 21 Trafalgar
---ENGL
------1745 Est 100-gun SOL: HMS Britannia (8' shorter, open stern galleries vs Victory's enclosed)[/b]
------Mod 1745 Est 100-gun SOL: HMS VICTORY
[i]------one-off 100-gun SOL HMS Royal Sovereign 1786
------Neptune-cl 98-gun SOL: Neptune, Temeraire, Dreadnought
------London-cl 98-gun SOL: HMS Prince
------ex-FR Tonnant 80-gun SOL: HMS Tonnant
------Bellona-cl 74-gun SOL: HMS DEFENCE
------Arrogant-cl 74-gun SOL: HMS BELLEROPHON
------Elizabeth-cl 74-gun SOL: HMS Defiance
------Canada-cl 74-gun SOL: HMS Orion (possible Slade proxy? Slade and Canada razees were considered "same class")
------Ajax-cl 74-gun SOL: HMS Ajax
------Culloden-cl 74-gun SOL: HMS Thunderer (another "basic Slade 74"
------Colossus-cl 74-gun: HMS Colossus
------Courageux-cl 74-gun SOL: HMS Leviathan, HMS Minotaur
------Mars-cl 74-gun SOL: HMS Mars
------Swiftsure-cl 74-gun SOL: HMS Swiftsure (NOT a Slade)
------one-off 74-gun HMS Conqueror 1801
------one-off 74-gun HMS Revenge 1805 (appears by specs to be related to Temeraires)
------ex-FR Temeraire 74-gun SOL: HMS Spartiate, HMS Belleisle
------Pompee-cl (Temeraire copy) 74-gun SOL: HMS Achille
------Intrepid-cl 64-gun SOL: HMS Polyphemus
------Inflexible-cl 64-gun: HMS Africa
------Ardent-cl 64-gun SOL: HMS Agamemnon
------Enlarged 1795 Amazon 38-gun frigate: HMS Naiad
------Apollo-cl 36-gun frigate: HMS Euryalus
------Phoebe-cl 36-gun frigate: HMS Phoebe
------Sirius-cl 36-gun frigate (based on ex-FR Minerve 36 HMS San Fiorenzo): HMS Sirius
------unrated schooner Pickle 8, cutter Entreprenante 10
---FR/SP
------SP one-off Nuestra Senora de la Santisima Trinidad 136
------SP Santa Ana 112-gun SOL: Santa Ana, Principe de Asturias
------SP Rayo 100: Rayo
------SP "Landa 74": FR Intrepide (ex-SP Intrepido), SP San Ildefonso
------SP "Landa 64" (49/52 Landa 74): San Leandro
------SP San Pedro Alcantara 64->74 upgun: Bahama
------FR Tonnant 80-gun SOL: Formidable, Indomptable
------FR Bucentaure 80-gun SOL: Bucentaure, Neptune
------SP Rayo 80/100-gun SOL: Rayo
------SP Montanes 80-gun SOL: Neptuno, Montanes, Monarca, Argonauta
------FR Temeraire 74-gun SOL: Scipion, Duguay-Trouin, Mont-Blanc, Aigle, Achille, Algesiras, FOUGUEUX, Argonaute, Redoutable, Heros, Pluton
------FR ex-UK Elizabeth 74-gun SOL: BERWICK, Swiftsure
------SP San Agustin 74-gun SOL: San Agustin, San Francisco de Asis, San Juan Nepomuceno
------SP class unknown SOL San Justo 74
------FR Coquille 40-gun frigate: Themis
------FR Virginie 40-gun frigate: Cornelie, Rhin
------FR Hortense 40-gun frigate: Hortense, Hermione
------FR Abeille-cl 16/18-gun brig: Furet
------FR Vigilant-cl 16-gun brig: Argus

So, there's still a lot of territory to cover, but maybe some of these'll turn out to be relatives of others that they can reprint.

Berthier
03-08-2013, 01:55
"When they reprint an existing model"...wow that's planning ahead since nothing is out yet but it does show a commitment to the cause.

Not sure about the 1st rates, how often can you get to use them if fleet actions are not really possible?

GrouperKicker
04-12-2013, 13:21
Is 'Wave 2' considered the January Victory/Constitution release? If so, will those be the only two ships released in wave 2?

7eat51
04-12-2013, 13:22
Is 'Wave 2' considered the January Victory/Constitution release? If so, will those be the only two ships released in wave 2?

I doubt it. By wave, I think Ares means a series of ships, each with several paint schemes.

Beowulf03809
04-12-2013, 13:31
I thought there were some other confirmed ships for Wave 2 already, not counting Victory / Constitution. But I've been reading SO much here, on SoG Facebook and the KS page the last month it's starting to blur.

Diamondback
04-12-2013, 13:46
Lawrence, I think "Wave Three" was a typo--I can't give details, but that describes the Wave 2 list that Andrea fed me to guide my research dead-on.

Update on the Trafalgar list, BTW...

The Barrelman
04-12-2013, 15:02
I know Ares needs to think far ahead because of the lead times to create molds and get test runs, approve proofs, negotiate costs and get a production line moving. I would not be surprised if wave 3 is in concept phase right now.

pward
04-23-2013, 16:46
I hope we will see a sloop, corvette, 16 gun brig, spanish zebec, and a 74 gun US ship of the line (one or two did appear late within the time frame of the game).

Diamondback
04-23-2013, 17:16
IIRC there's a sloop in Wave 2.

pward
04-23-2013, 17:20
IIRC there's a sloop in Wave 2.

Great! A zebec will be nice too for some scenerios with the early US frigates.

RedArgo
04-23-2013, 18:54
Are there American ships planned? (besides Constitution)

Coog
04-23-2013, 19:12
Are there American ships planned? (besides Constitution)

It will be series 3 at the earliest if even then. There will probably be cards for Constitutions two sister ships using the same model.

Diamondback
04-23-2013, 19:31
Well, maybe a downgraded version, not as finely detailed--Victory and Constitution, and the casually-mentioned-as-in-planning Santisima Trinidad, Ares is planning to pull out all the stops on as far as practical. (Bear in mind, these are expected to sticker at around HALF AGAIN the price of a typical 74, or double a typical 32-gun frigate...)

7eat51
04-23-2013, 21:03
Well, maybe a downgraded version, not as finely detailed--Victory and Constitution, and the casually-mentioned-as-in-planning Santisima Trinidad, Ares is planning to pull out all the stops on as far as practical. (Bear in mind, these are expected to sticker at around HALF AGAIN the price of a typical 74, or double a typical 32-gun frigate...)

If you're going to pull out all the stops on select ships, these three are not bad choices. For the U.S., the Constitution is a national treasure, if you will.

Berthier
04-24-2013, 00:54
Re National Treasure
As the Victory is in Britain. I've visited it twice, the second time it was in the middle of restoration with no bowspit and most of the fore mast gone. Even so it's an impressive ship and wonderful to wander through. The lack of space for cabins and crew is quite remarkable and this was a large ship for the period, so the older 64's and the smaller 74's must have been awful to live in. They used to open the gun port to allow clean air to go through the lower decks to help with the smell, try getting that into your gaming.

7eat51
04-24-2013, 07:37
That must have been great experiences seeing such a ship. I hope we can take tours of AoS ships in the next few years, especially now that I am learning so much from this site and reading. I think it would be very enjoyable to visit a ship one has read on or played in a game.

I remember the first time I walked through a German U-Boat at a museum back home in Chicago. One of the biggest impressions made was how small the sub actually was in terms of living and working space. I cannot imagine someone my size, close to 6'4", would do too well in older naval vessels.

As for smells, I imagine that can be handled by the choice of snacks the group eats during game play.

Berthier
04-24-2013, 07:55
I must have been born to be a submariner then 5'8" and light weight, I've been in one at a museum in NY I think? Could not pay me enough money to go to sea in one though!

7eat51
04-24-2013, 08:18
Could not pay me enough money to go to sea in one though!

Especially after seeing Das Boot.

RedArgo
04-24-2013, 14:09
I've been on the Constitution, when I was a kid, and some sailing ships at Williamsburg and Mystic Sea Port and they all seem quite small to be sailing around on the ocean. I can get sea sick on a giant cruise ship.

Coog
04-24-2013, 14:21
I've been on the Constitution, when I was a kid, and some sailing ships at Williamsburg and Mystic Sea Port and they all seem quite small to be sailing around on the ocean. I can get sea sick on a giant cruise ship.

And Constitution was one of the larger ships! Imagine sharing space with a crew of 450 men.

Diamondback
04-24-2013, 15:01
As for smells, I imagine that can be handled by the choice of snacks the group eats during game play.
Or just game after a Chili Cookoff. LOL

CHolgren
04-25-2013, 05:40
That must have been great experiences seeing such a ship. I hope we can take tours of AoS ships in the next few years, especially now that I am learning so much from this site and reading. I think it would be very enjoyable to visit a ship one has read on or played in a game.

I remember the first time I walked through a German U-Boat at a museum back home in Chicago. One of the biggest impressions made was how small the sub actually was in terms of living and working space. I cannot imagine someone my size, close to 6'4", would do too well in older naval vessels.

As for smells, I imagine that can be handled by the choice of snacks the group eats during game play.Eric I assume you've toured the tall ships when they come to NavyPier? If not they're amazing to walk through. My wife and I spent a week on Cape Cod for our 15th a couple of years ago and took the tour of the Constitution. That was awe inspiring.

7eat51
04-25-2013, 08:15
Eric I assume you've toured the tall ships when they come to NavyPier? If not they're amazing to walk through. My wife and I spent a week on Cape Cod for our 15th a couple of years ago and took the tour of the Constitution. That was awe inspiring.

I was at Navy Pier for the first time in my life last month. We were indoors the whole time. It would take something special like AoS ships for me to return - I just didn't get the attraction for Chicagoans. If you ever hear of the ships returning, please let me know. I will keep an eye open as well. It would make for an enjoyable gathering of nearby Anchorage members.

Just saw this: http://navypier.com/tallshipschicago/

CHolgren
04-25-2013, 08:39
I was at Navy Pier for the first time in my life last month. We were indoors the whole time. It would take something special like AoS ships for me to return - I just didn't get the attraction for Chicagoans. If you ever hear of the ships returning, please let me know. I will keep an eye open as well. It would make for an enjoyable gathering of nearby Anchorage members.

Just saw this: http://navypier.com/tallshipschicago/My wife loves Shakespeare, so we go to the Shakespeare theater a couple times a year. But I agree, if you're not taking your young kids to the children's museum, there's mot much else to see.

GrouperKicker
04-25-2013, 08:45

Just saw this: http://navypier.com/tallshipschicago/

Seconded. (... or is it 'thirded') I've been to Navy Pier twice and wish that I had only been once. The only thing of interest to my/my family was a stained glass exhibit that they had on display.

FYI... the Tall Ships will be there August 7 -11. (http://www.navypier.com/things2do/entertainment/special_events.html). Looks like they are taking applications for volunteers...

7eat51
04-25-2013, 09:05
Seconded. (... or is it 'thirded') I've been to Navy Pier twice and wish that I had only been once. The only thing of interest to my/my family was a stained glass exhibit that they had on display.

FYI... the Tall Ships will be there August 7 -11. (http://www.navypier.com/things2do/entertainment/special_events.html). Looks like they are taking applications for volunteers...

The stained glass was nice. My wife took several great pictures.

We should check dates and see if a group outing is possible. Applications for volunteers? Could be interesting.

Nightmoss
04-25-2013, 09:41
If any of you travel further up the coast of Lake Michigan you might be interested in checking out the Wisconsin Maritime Museum in Manitowoc? While attending a library conference a number of years back we were hosted to an open house at the Museum. The highlight of the 'tour' was a private showing of the USS Cobia. That was incredible.

http://www.wisconsinmaritime.org/index.php

Sorry, if this diverted the original thread, but reading about Navy Pier made me think about the Maritime Museum.

DeRuyter
04-25-2013, 11:59
Speaking of tall ship events, members in the Mid-West should try and make it to the bicentennial of the Battle of Lake Erie which is being held over labor day weekend in PA and OH. I have been on the USS Niagara and if you think the below decks on a large frigate were cramped..... just don't forget to keep ducking! The lack of space is even more acute because these ships were not designed for long sea voyages.

Link for the events: http://battleoflakeerie-bicentennial.com/events/bicentennial-events/

Back to the OP for a moment - It would be nice to see brigs in a future wave - Cruzier classs for the Brits and Lawerence/Niagara for the US.

Eric