PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Converts

SeaRoyal20
03-07-2013, 06:53
My previous thread spoke of converts. Now I am wondering who in our little community is looking at these early pictures with a fine toothed saw in their hands and a gleem in their eyes? Is anyone planning conversion based on the ship list ARES has provided? And of course you are going to share with a tutorial?

Coog
03-07-2013, 07:10
My previous thread spoke of converts. Now I am wondering who in our little community is looking at these early pictures with a fine toothed saw in their hands and a gleem in their eyes? Is anyone planning conversion based on the ship list ARES has provided? And of course you are going to share with a tutorial?

I thinking of rigging the models and removing the flag staffs. The ensign should be flying on a line along the spanker. I'll have to take a close look at the British 32. I may try to convert one into the Essex.

SeaRoyal20
03-07-2013, 07:26
Rigging and removing the flag was in my plans as well. A few ensigns and such might look good too. Are you planning ratlines?

Coog
03-07-2013, 09:49
Rigging and removing the flag was in my plans as well. A few ensigns and such might look good too. Are you planning ratlines?

If I can find some that will fit I will definitely add them.

The Royal Hajj
03-07-2013, 10:16
Yep, rigging to some degree is going to happen on my ships as well. As for ratlines, I'm actually looking at some options right now to offer these as one of my accessories for this game line. I'm looking at either photo etched parts (if cost is not to much) or hardened card stock (if that method turns out strong enough, which I think it will based on some other test subjects).

Coog
03-07-2013, 10:22
I am also waiting to see if the Constitution model will have ship's boats hanging over both sides near the stern as well as one hanging over the stern. If not I will try to add them.

Sea Gull
03-07-2013, 12:41
The limit of my skill will probably be a bit of weathering on the paint job, depending on what the actual model looks like fresh out of the box. I wish I could imagine being able to do rigging, but I know my hands, my patience and my temper when it doesn't work. :mad::rolleyes:

Volunteer
03-07-2013, 12:52
Yep, rigging to some degree is going to happen on my ships as well. As for ratlines, I'm actually looking at some options right now to offer these as one of my accessories for this game line. I'm looking at either photo etched parts (if cost is not to much) or hardened card stock (if that method turns out strong enough, which I think it will based on some other test subjects).

Just make your own. I would show how to photos but I haven't been able to upload photos from the computer on this site ever, when I use the Browse and select the photo I just get a 'File Not Found' error every time. The only thing that works for me is the URL upload. Trouble is the photos are huge when uploading from my website.

The Royal Hajj
03-07-2013, 13:57
The limit of my skill will probably be a bit of weathering on the paint job, depending on what the actual model looks like fresh out of the box. I wish I could imagine being able to do rigging, but I know my hands, my patience and my temper when it doesn't work. :mad::rolleyes:

There is actually a super easy, inexpensive way to do it. We use it on the Wings of Glory planes. I'll post up a how to here on this site once I get some ships.

Just make your own. I would show how to photos but I haven't been able to upload photos from the computer on this site ever, when I use the Browse and select the photo I just get a 'File Not Found' error every time. The only thing that works for me is the URL upload. Trouble is the photos are huge when uploading from my website.

Well, I am going to have a line of accessories for this game the way I do for Wings... so these products would be aimed at the players that would like to add them to their ships, but don't have the time or skills to make them themselves.

Sea Gull
03-07-2013, 16:03
Well, I am going to have a line of accessories for this game the way I do for Wings... so these products would be aimed at the players that would like to add them to their ships, but don't have the time or skills to make them themselves.

That sounds like me to a T. :o

7eat51
03-07-2013, 19:37
One thing that has impressed me so far with folks here and on the Aerodrome is the willingness to help others learn and develop skills in such matters as modeling. Had it not been for posts I have read during the past few months, I would never even consider altering or even building a mini. Now, I am looking forward to trying my hand. For that I say "Thank you."

Same to our First Sea Lord for providing options through accessories.

Sea Gull
03-08-2013, 01:05
One thing that has impressed me so far with folks here and on the Aerodrome is the willingness to help others learn and develop skills in such matters as modeling. Had it not been for posts I have read during the past few months, I would never even consider altering or even building a mini. Now, I am looking forward to trying my hand. For that I say "Thank you."

Same to our First Sea Lord for providing options through accessories.

Agree wholeheartedly ... even though at first it IS depressing to see just how GOOD these people are and how far you have to go just to be able to stand in their shadow. Inspiring, in an awe inspiring way. :)

OmegaLazarus
03-14-2013, 14:52
Yes, Hajj! That would be something I would buy. Like others have said, I like nice looking models (and ships without rigging do look a bit off, even though I know it would be cost prohibitive for Ares to do so) and would like a few modeling short-cut type accessories to purchase.

Man, I am so excited about this game. I can't express how much I love playing table top games with painted miniatures and how much I hate painting miniatures. Ares has finally made this possible for AoS ships and Anchorage has made it fun with a community of like minds.

Tommy Z
03-14-2013, 20:11
I can't express how much I love playing table top games with painted miniatures and how much I hate painting miniatures. Ares has finally made this possible for AoS ships and Anchorage has made it fun with a community of like minds.

AYE! I second that!

pward
04-23-2013, 16:41

I hope your plans for providing rat lines succeed. I plan to do some rigging w/ratlines and wasn't sure how I was going to do them (Langtons or make them from mesh fabric). A stateside supplier for 1:1000 scale would be awesome.

Cool Breeze
05-03-2013, 09:45
There is actually a super easy, inexpensive way to do it. We use it on the Wings of Glory planes. I'll post up a how to here on this site once I get some ships.

Looking forward to both of these, as I still have some talent for such things, my time is at a premium and my eyestrain and back make it hard for me to spend the time I do have doing things such as this anymore.