PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been a secret playtester? Can the system really handle fleet actions..

Berthier
03-07-2013, 01:08
Ok someone out there (no names) must have been playtesting this for a some time now. If everyone would like to voice an opinion on the likely suitability of SOG for true fleet actions in amongst those opinions we may see the views of one or more of the playtesters...who may remain anonymous amongst the deluge of replies...we wont know which opinion is an informed one but it will fill in the time till August arguing over who really knows anything :D

My opinion, and I'm not a playtester, is that a fleet action is not going to be easy at all. But, perhaps Ares would like to release a PDF of the rule book for us to drool over bumping up the kickstarter interest at the same time and stop our endless conjecturing!

7eat51
03-07-2013, 05:24
Ok someone out there (no names) must have been playtesting this for a some time now. If everyone would like to voice an opinion on the likely suitability of SOG for true fleet actions in amongst those opinions we may see the views of one or more of the playtesters...who may remain anonymous amongst the deluge of replies...we wont know which opinion is an informed one but it will fill in the time till August arguing over who really knows anything :D

My opinion, and I'm not a playtester, is that a fleet action is not going to be easy at all. But, perhaps Ares would like to release a PDF of the rule book for us to drool over bumping up the kickstarter interest at the same time and stop our endless conjecturing!

But for some of us, conjecturing is what we do best.

Seeing the potential for collisions in WGF, I imagine having a significant number of ships could result in the same - a lot of overlap of bases. This would be especially true if the combat resolution required being very close to each other. Not saying that that is bad, but it could be unwieldy, especially without cards.

SeaRoyal20
03-07-2013, 06:07
I dont see how you can do a fleet action (~ 40-50) ships per side) given the size of the ships. I have seen fleet actions using this size of ship and other rules at various conventions. Frankly, the ships were okay but had no rigging and were mounted on ugly bases with large name tags. The game was on the floor and each player was forced to stay in line ahead formation. The game moved slow, looked boring and was visually unappealing. Meaning no offense to anyone. Just my opinion based on observations.

Now I think the mechanics (based on reading one article) of SoG could handle a pretty good sized game but remember you also need space for the ship card and maneuver deck for each ship. That is a lot of table space (unless some one can do an iPad App!!). I plan to start my group off with one ship each and let them learn. Then I will increase the size of the games. Oh and trust me, there will be a lot of games.

David Manley
03-07-2013, 10:07
In my opinion, it could be used as such, but would require a lot of practice and discipline on the part of the players to work effectively. I've seen the same thing with other systems pitched at similar levels. This game will fly for small ship and squadron actions.

The Royal Hajj
03-07-2013, 10:20
Table space will be helped out with some of the accessories I plan on offering, I just have to wait to get the final game to make sure my ideas will work. I will also be getting an advanced copy here in the next couple of weeks to play and review on the site for all of you. That will let me know more about the accessories and larger fleet actions.

DeRuyter
03-07-2013, 13:47
I dont see how you can do a fleet action (~ 40-50) ships per side) given the size of the ships. I have seen fleet actions using this size of ship and other rules at various conventions. Frankly, the ships were okay but had no rigging and were mounted on ugly bases with large name tags. The game was on the floor and each player was forced to stay in line ahead formation. The game moved slow, looked boring and was visually unappealing. Meaning no offense to anyone. Just my opinion based on observations.

Now I think the mechanics (based on reading one article) of SoG could handle a pretty good sized game but remember you also need space for the ship card and maneuver deck for each ship. That is a lot of table space (unless some one can do an iPad App!!). I plan to start my group off with one ship each and let them learn. Then I will increase the size of the games. Oh and trust me, there will be a lot of games.

I have seen those floor games at conventions. The rules author won't even let the players move the ships!

I would think experienced players could handle 3-4 ships in a larger battle. SOG could certainly handle the Nile for example. Players could develop house rules for signalling, etc.

Eric