PDA

View Full Version : So what are the options?

Stormkahn
03-07-2013, 00:16
For better or worse the WGF has been a bit haphazard about the selection of models released. Given the current published selection of ships that we'll be getting, almost certainly including the Constitution by the time you read this, what historical scenarios/matchups do we have so far? :confused:

Whilst I'd love to have the Victory I'm wondering if there's many scenarios for it, would the Constitution be a better option?

cheers,

Dave.

Old Ironsides
03-07-2013, 21:30
My thought is Victory and Constitution are both part of future sets. Ares does not hold back. In the short time they have had WoG they have released a combination of 7 sets (WWI & WWII combined) plus new starters, rule sets and game mats. If SoG hits stores late summer/early fall my guess is we will see set shortly after the 1st of the new year. Great for gamers, but tough on the wallet if you are a collector like me. ;)

Beowulf03809
03-20-2013, 10:21
How specific will the paint jobs on the models be? For example, will Victory have her name painted on her or could it be used as HMS Royal Sovereign or the HMS Britannia? This will increase the mission options for the First Rate ships.

I'm really hoping to hit the Stretch Goal on KS so that the ship boards are printed two-sided! This will go a long way in making the game more flexible as far as historic missions are concerned.

Diamondback
03-21-2013, 01:33
Lawrence, I've been trying to encourage them to supply decals with alternate ship names--or maybe we could have Keith draw some up through Aerodrome Accessories. (Hey, Boss, you reading this?)

RichardPF
03-21-2013, 03:13
How specific will the paint jobs on the models be? For example, will Victory have her name painted on her or could it be used as HMS Royal Sovereign or the HMS Britannia? This will increase the mission options for the First Rate ships.

I'm really hoping to hit the Stretch Goal on KS so that the ship boards are printed two-sided! This will go a long way in making the game more flexible as far as historic missions are concerned.

To date, all of the WoW/WoG planes and all of the other ships that have been announced have made use of alternate paint schemes for the same casting so it would seem logical that this is in the plan for HMS Victory and the USS Constitution as well.
Other than the Balloons and bombers, I believe that the number of incarnations has been 4.

Horatio
03-21-2013, 06:56
How big will ships names be at this scale?
Will the name be legible?

Lawrence, I've been trying to encourage them to supply decals with alternate ship names--or maybe we could have Keith draw some up through Aerodrome Accessories. (Hey, Boss, you reading this?)

Horatio
03-21-2013, 07:04
To date, all of the WoW/WoG planes and all of the other ships that have been announced have made use of alternate paint schemes for the same casting so it would seem logical that this is in the plan for HMS Victory and the USS Constitution as well.
Other than the Balloons and bombers, I believe that the number of incarnations has been 4.

I think combining Wings of War and Wings of Glory planes the maximum number of incarnations is 5 now.

Beowulf03809
03-21-2013, 08:06
How big will ships names be at this scale?
Will the name be legible?

TBH, with my eyes and at game-table length distances I'll be happy to know Victory from Juno without my glasses on. :happy:

But especially in the case of Third Rate and Frigates we're going to need some obvious ways to identifying them on the table when multiple versions of the same class are in your fleet. If the ships were one-use only then the name could be printed on the base itself, but then we would have to buy even more ships if you want to represent specific engagements. :moneygone: With the Logs and others hopefully printed two-sided we should be able to get extra value from the models but then the question of how to tell them apart comes into play.

I am sorry I haven't had a chance to play Wings of Glory to be more familiar with how this may be handled. My only other experience with a roughly similar system is Star Wars XWing and in that there are cards that are attached to the base that identify the specific pilot (which must be unique) and in the case of generic pilots you can attach a little number tag so if you have two or three on the table you simply know "Red Squadron Three", "Red Squadron Four", etc.

So with Lieutenant KS, for example, I'd have two Third Rate (Bellerophon and Defense) and two Frigates (Juno and Terpsichore). I'm sure I'll snatch up one or two more Frigates and maybe a third 74 from general release as soon as they come out. Already I would need an easy way to identify the two of each class during play. And with flipped cards adding additional flexibility to how these are played from game to game the confusion point can grow higher. I haven't seen any mention so far of how unique ships are labeled on the table.

Any insight someone may already have in this would be greatly appreciated.

Diamondback
03-21-2013, 17:55
Given those slab-sided bases, it oughta be fairly simple to make a paper ship-ID label and clear-tape it on... quick, cheap and dirty, and definitely not slick, but it'd be functional.