PDA

View Full Version : HMS Cleopatra - GHQ 1:1200

Whitejamest
03-06-2013, 08:52
Hello everyone. I was recently introduced to this forum by Volunteer, and was pleased to see what a resource it is for the Napoleonic naval gamer. I've been a lover of ship models for some years and my interest in smaller and smaller models eventually led me to the gaming communities and to exploring the various rules systems that are out there for creating enjoyable simulations.

I confess I was one who was a bit disappointed when Ares announced that it had decided to produce ships in 1:1000 scale, since I had already been building my collection of 1:1200 models from GHQ and Langton. But I've decided that really the important thing is just that the subject matter be made available to a wider audience, so that we'll all have an easier time finding enthusiastic opponents. I won't mind taking on fleets of slightly larger ships if needs be. I hope the new release of ships and rules is a huge success.

I wanted to share some pictures of the latest model I've completed, GHQ's 1:1200 HMS Cleopatra, a 32 gun Amazon-Class frigate who had a lengthy action-filled career and a reputation for aggressively engaging larger opponents. (So she should do well against other scales, no?) You can see my blog posting about the ship/model (and links to lots of other similar models I've done) here:
http://jwhitegallery.blogspot.com/2013/03/hms-cleopatra-ghq-11200.html

Thanks for looking,
James

And here is a shot for size comparison of Cleopatra next to USS Constellation.

Sea Gull
03-06-2013, 09:13
Ahhh crap !!! I can't even achieve that in 1/600th scale.:(

I think your models are superb, far too good to be gaming with surely. Although they are inspiring, maybe future posts should contain a warning in the subject to the effect that mere mortals may end up depressed by their own ham-fistedness. :o

Cheers
Chris
(now crying in his grog)

7eat51
03-06-2013, 09:35
Ahhh crap !!! I can't even achieve that in 1/600th scale.:(

I think your models are superb, far too good to be gaming with surely. Although they are inspiring, maybe future posts should contain a warning in the subject to the effect that mere mortals may end up depressed by their own ham-fistedness. :o

Cheers
Chris
(now crying in his grog)

Amen.

Beautiful work. Thanks for the link.

Gunner
03-06-2013, 10:13
My God. What magnificent work. You and Vol make quite a painting team.

Cpt Kangaroo
03-06-2013, 10:36
Very nice job and a real inspiration!

RedLeif
03-06-2013, 11:21
FANTASTIC! Oh I wish my hands were steady enough to do that.
thanks for sharing.

Whitejamest
03-06-2013, 11:28
Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm glad you like them - James

Comte de Brueys
03-06-2013, 13:56
This ships look great.

Well presented, James!

Coog
03-06-2013, 16:53
Wow! Unbelievable work. Those look better than the models GHQ shows in their catalog.

Berthier
03-06-2013, 17:54
Very nice work indeed. There could be a tidy little sum to be made by commission work for those of you skilled enough to produce models as beautiful as these.

Expect to see "clipper" here on SOG any day now offering to do Montgolfier balloons!! ;)

Volunteer
03-06-2013, 18:59
My God. What magnificent work. You and Vol make quite a painting team.

Are you kidding Ed? I don't belong in the same league with James. He is a Master, I'm just a Journeyman. You should see the rest of his stuff! Check out his blog for sure. Plus his 6MM troops, truly awesome!

James, Magnificent is just not a good enough word. Now I'm almost sorry I told you about the Anchorage. These guys thought I was pretty good. Now........?

7eat51
03-06-2013, 21:41
Expect to see "clipper" here on SOG any day now offering to do Montgolfier balloons!! ;)

One could only hope. I recently bought one of his pieces; absolutely wonderful.

Now I'm almost sorry I told you about the Anchorage. These guys thought I was pretty good. Now........?

You are good my Friend. We are privileged to have talent like both you guys here. Truly inspiring.

Whitejamest
03-07-2013, 09:47
You're much too hard on yourself Vol, your ships look great, and I'm utterly amazed by the awesome terrain you've made!

Blackrose
03-07-2013, 12:46
That's an amazing pair of ships.
And the bases....impressive to get the water with waves.
Karl

Volunteer
03-07-2013, 12:56
You're much too hard on yourself Vol, your ships look great, and I'm utterly amazed by the awesome terrain you've made!

Wait 'til you guys see Devsdoc's (Rory's) harbor and town! Now his is truly awesome! If he ever figures out how to get back on the Anchorage again, that is.

Gunner
03-07-2013, 14:28
[QUOTE= And the bases....impressive to get the water with waves.
Karl[/QUOTE]

Thats the only thing I don't like. It looks like it's on a block of wood.

Volunteer
03-07-2013, 14:48
Thats the only thing I don't like. It looks like it's on a block of wood.

I believe those are the standard bases Rod Langton sells with his ships.

James, do you mount Rod's bases on another base?

The SOG bases are really blocky IMO.

Gunner
03-07-2013, 15:03
I believe those are the standard bases Rod Langton sells with his ships.

James, do you mount Rod's bases on another base?

The SOG bases are really blocky IMO.

I use the clear plastic fluorescent light covers with the raised diamond type directly to the model. When you paint the bottom it gives it a choppy wave effect.

Whitejamest
03-07-2013, 15:26
Hi guys. I've used the resin sea bases from Langton (no sculpting on my part!), and then I mount those on 3mm thick plastic, and then there is a layer of magnetic sheeting under those for ease of transport. I can understand your reaction, the bases are fairly thick. At first I mounted them only on the thin resin sea bases, but I like that with a thicker base it is easier to pick them up by it. Also I put a small white mark on the black plastic part where the main mast is, on either side, and measure turning points from there. I didn't want to mark up the sea base itself. (Cleopatra doesn't have the mark yet)

Personally, I'm ok with thick bases, and anyway during gameplay I'm usually seeing everything from a fairly high perspective. But I get that's it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Regards,

James

7eat51
03-07-2013, 19:19
Personally, I'm ok with thick bases, and anyway during gameplay I'm usually seeing everything from a fairly high perspective.

Aesthetically, the bases of minis I have seen on this site during the past few weeks have been amazing. Having never played naval minis before, though, has had me wondering about base thickness and ease of picking them up, especially given the nature of movement using cards. There have been times I wish the bases to Wings of Glory were a bit thicker.

Volunteer
03-07-2013, 19:33
Aesthetically, the bases of minis I have seen on this site during the past few weeks have been amazing. Having never played naval minis before, though, has had me wondering about base thickness and ease of picking them up, especially given the nature of movement using cards. There have been times I wish the bases to Wings of Glory were a bit thicker.

Devsdoc gave me a suggestion that I liked and started doing. I paint a little white on a wave tip on each side corresponding to the mainmast like James does, to set my turn radius when playing. It blends into the wave base so well you don't even notice it until you need it.

7eat51
03-07-2013, 19:41
Devsdoc gave me a suggestion that I liked and started doing. I paint a little white on a wave tip on each side corresponding to the mainmast like James does, to set my turn radius when playing. It blends into the wave base so well you don't even notice it until you need it.

Ok Vol. I am going to add another Constitution pledge for no other reason than to work on upscaling it. Stay close to your computer at that time, for I will need guidance.

Jack Aubrey
03-08-2013, 11:04
Super, beautiful work, looks great.

Green flash
03-11-2013, 15:24
Beautiful work,you've set the bar way up there...

Cmmdre
04-15-2013, 23:29
Extremely impressive work James. You are a master of the highest levels.

Whitejamest
04-16-2013, 06:58
Thank you Paul, that's very kind. I'm glad you like the ships. I hope to have more to post soon.
Regards - James

Nightmoss
04-16-2013, 09:49
Impressive! Please post more pictures as you work is truly inspiring.

There are many masters here on the Anchorage and I'm so glad I made the discovery via the KS efforts of Sails of Glory. What a great place to hang out and enjoy the craftsmanship.

The J
04-23-2013, 11:17
Very nice work, James. And I enjoy the historical notes on the ship in your blog, even if only copied from Wikipedia. What is the time frame for someone of your skill to complete the kit modifications and painting that you have achieved here?

Whitejamest
04-23-2013, 12:47
Thanks J, glad you like the ships. I'd say it takes me about 2 weeks to finish one of these, but that is only working a little bit in the evenings. That time is probably about equally divided between construction and painting, and then rigging. I can do it in less time when I'm not spread too thin on other projects, but, well, I have a bad habit of spreading myself too thin! - James

Devsdoc
04-23-2013, 14:39
I can do it in less time when I'm not spread too thin on other projects, but, well, I have a bad habit of spreading myself too thin! - James

Oh! James,
I'm I glad you spread yourself out a bit. It gives us all a chance to paint something and maybe feel better about ourselves.
Thank you for making me/us do better.:salute:
Be safe
Rory

pward
04-23-2013, 14:49
Absolutely amazing (I am now lifting my jaw off of the floor).