PDA

View Full Version : Maximizing the Kickstarter

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Diamondback
04-06-2013, 20:39
LOL, let's not bombard the poor guy...

RichardPF
04-06-2013, 21:02
Yes finally cracked the 200K and at last we might know what the next (and probably final) stretch goal will be. That will determine my final spend distribution, though I should just get Bruce to work the optimized solution for me! :happy:

:question:

My calculations say that quadruple intergalactic commodore would be the perfect level for you...

Gunner
04-06-2013, 21:03
Yep over 200 grand. Smokes are on the house for Mates and up (smoke clouds that is).

Cmmdre
04-06-2013, 21:52
:clap: Great news about the stretch goal. What's next? :hmmm:

The Barrelman
04-06-2013, 22:06
200k a little faster then people's projections so far. I think the KS campaign can make it to 220k without issue. Now, will there be a new goal at that amount?

:question:

Cmmdre
04-06-2013, 22:38
Hopefully we'll learn tomorrow what and where the next goal is. I'm holding out for another exclusive. Something really special for the table would be appreciated.

Gunner
04-06-2013, 23:13
Maybe the additional set of counters, seems to be the only thing left on the August options list.

Cmmdre
04-06-2013, 23:17
Maybe the additional set of counters, seems to be the only thing left on the August options list.
It would save me $12 bucks if they did. Which I would spend on additional smoke markers.

The Barrelman
04-07-2013, 01:16

I hope it is something else. I personally would have no need for extra markers. I like what they have been doing for extra goals being something special like the wood versions of items and accessories for free. I do not consider extra chits as an accessory.

But, that's my 2 cents. :happy:

OmegaLazarus
04-08-2013, 11:06
There are earlybird mate and lt postions open right now.

The Barrelman
04-08-2013, 11:27
Still an EB Mate available. Guess the last bonus goals are prompting people to upgrade.

GreenLaborMike
04-08-2013, 11:40
From a purely marketing standpoint, I wonder if the lesson Ares should draw from this KS project is to hold back on some stuff they already plan to introduce and add them as very achievable stretch goals. For example, they began this campaign with 4 "KS exclusive" ships and 8 additional non-exclusive ships. Seems to me that they could have started off with less than all 12 at the beginning of the drive, and announced some of those ships as very achievable stretch goals along the way to keep the momentum going.

Don't get me wrong. As a customer, I'm happy that they have been so honest from the beginning. But taking a step back, this is the lesson I can't help but draw from how this campaign has unfolded. People want more ships! And they want to be heard! Offering more ships along the way would have given people exactly what they wanted.

I have no idea what the Galaxy Defenders project they plan to put up on KS later, but if it involves miniatures, they would do well to offer more as stretch goals!

Gunner
04-08-2013, 11:47
The captain level is still the best deal afloat.
I wonder how many people will say after the KS ends, " I should have".:cry:
Time to beg, borrow or beg some more, for the extra cash.

Beowulf03809
04-08-2013, 11:48
I don't think I would have jumped on at the level I did if it did not include the 4 exclusive ships. And getting in at a lower level initially (say, 'mate') I believe it may have been harder to coax an upgrade to a higher level once I was committed.

What I would say in support of your suggestion though would be to be ready with some more key goals. I think 'unlocking' pre-order ships such as Victory / Constitution were great ideas and a couple more of those in the pipeline would have been nice. Alternatively, KS exclusive versions of some already planned Wave 2 ships would be appealing.

Overall though I would say that Ares seems to have done a great job trying to keep the excitement and momentum going on this considering that I don't think they anticipated this sort of reaction. I appreciate that they don't want to promise more than they can deliver right off the mark.

Gunner
04-08-2013, 12:08
This (for me) is not about how much you can squeeze out of Ares, although the perks are great, but to give as much support as I can for a gaming system that I enjoy playing.

Beowulf03809
04-08-2013, 12:15
Actually...I looked at it more like how much Ares could squeeze out of us. :rum:

The 'freebies' are really nice but not what would get me to change pledges. I'd rather have more juicy exciting things to spend money on. I greatly appreciate the pre-order discount they are offering on the starter and ships. That's a fantastic incentive to order as much up front as you can. And exclusives are always fun to have IMO. All of those are things we are committing our funds for. The free items such as terrain packs, wooden accessories, etc. are very nice candy of course. But the discount, exclusives and early access are what hooked me and more exclusives or early ordering for ships would have the greatest temptation for me.

Gaz67
04-08-2013, 12:15
With each new pledge level announced I have to go into a mathematical frenzy trying to workout what I want for my $40 for Worldwide Captain...

The Barrelman
04-08-2013, 12:18
Well the extras they announced today must have put someone off. Another EB Mate is open and the pledge count is down 1.

DeRuyter
04-08-2013, 13:44
The captain level is still the best deal afloat.
I wonder how many people will say after the KS ends, " I should have".:cry:
Time to beg, borrow or beg some more, for the extra cash.

Didn't go for CPT level because I wanted to pick and choose my extra ships - ie; need more SOL less frigates. However if an EB slot opens I may jump up....

GreenLaborMike
04-08-2013, 14:12
Actually...I looked at it more like how much Ares could squeeze out of us. :rum:

Actually, that was my point exactly. I'm thinking of ways that Ares could learn from the KS project to ensure even higher sales with the next project. And you really hit the nail on the head that the three primary drivers of KS sales are 1) discounts; 2) exclusivity; and 3) early access. It seems to me that they can generate a lot of early enthusiasm solely based on (1) and (3), and leave (2) to the later stages of the project.

Let me use the current SoG project purely for illustrative purposes. They could have started the project like this: the "lieutenant" level includes the base game and 4 non-exclusive ships - at a decent discount price. The "captain" level could include all 8 non-exclusive ships (again, at a discount). For a higher level of exclusivity, they could have made the 4 ships included only at the "captain" level available *only* to those at the captian level - at least, they get early access before they go on sale to the public. Sometimes, the prospect of getting access to goods six months before everyone else gives the perception of status.) A lot of folks will pay good money for that status.

Then, about 2/3 into the project, they could have introduced the 4 "KS exclusive" ships as stretch goals which could be acquired as add-ons. I suspect folks would have gone bonkers to unlock KS exclusive ships. ("Yes, I'm in the exclusive club! Everyone will envy my special ships!") The fact that they would be add-ons instead of freebies would probably not deter many people at all. An exclusive ship, especially if offered at a "discount" compared to non-exclusive ships, would sell like hotcakes. ("I get access to exclusive ships? How many can I add-on to my Captain pledge level!?!?). Heck, witness the enthusiasm around the HMS Victory and USS Constitution ship packs, and those weren't even KS exclusives. People will add-on additional ships if they feel that it's of value to them, and KS exclusive ships have a lot of perceived value.

I do not mean to criticize Ares' management of this project by any means, and I am not second guessing them. I had no special knowledge prior to the project, and the strategy they adopted seems quite sound. In fact, they've done a bang up job, and I'm so genuinely excited to receive everything I've ordered (Come August, I'm going to be as excited as Ralphie getting his Red Rider BB gun!). My comments are solely intended to filter back to Ares as to how they might be even more successful with the next project, based on what I have observed as this project has unfolded in real time. If anyone on Ares' staff is reading this, please stay in business for a long long time and produce lots of cool ships (and other games too!).

However, I wonder if others have a different take on all this, and what they would do differently, based on what we've learned from this real-world example.

OmegaLazarus
04-08-2013, 14:21
eb commodore open

GreenLaborMike
04-08-2013, 14:28
eb commodore open

Not anymore!

Diamondback
04-08-2013, 14:38
For the record, lest I seem completely mercenary, my goal isn't "wring out what I can" either, but to ensure that both Ares and I get fair value out of my pledge and upgrades--let's put it this way, I'm not going to bite on something I feel ridiculously undervalued any more than I would a perceived ripoff. (I mean, I was a little disappointed by smoke as a "major stretch", but I do feel that $4 for the set is fair, even noticeably better value for money than GF9's similar "wall of smoke" which is IIRC triple the price.)

Michael, I think they were also partially whiplashing off seeing others who offer a bare minimum initial and make backers Stretch up to get even a complete core game--they saw that and said "we don't wanna be those guys".

Stretch goals...
Captain extra smoke: 12 away
Lieut extra smoke: 37 away
Mate extra smoke: 62 away
Pledge-dependent loot: 112 away (Mate=Crew Deck, Lieut=Mat, Capt=counter set+2nd TP#1+2nd TP#2)
Scenario book: $20K away (225K)
A/B/E damage-chit bags: $45K away (250)
C/D damage chit bags: $70K away (275)

GreenLaborMike
04-08-2013, 14:49
Michael, I think they were also partially whiplashing off seeing others who offer a bare minimum initial and make backers Stretch up to get even a complete core game--they saw that and said "we don't wanna be those guys".

It's a fair point, and I have tried to make clear, I respect the way they have handled this project. I just upped my pledge to EB Commodore because I felt the value was there to justify the added expense. Kudos to Ares for handling this project with integrity, and also for producing great games. At some point down the road, I will probably start playing (and collecting) Wings of Glory because it looks like a lot of fun too.

Gunner
04-08-2013, 14:59
Way to go Commodore.

Diamondback
04-08-2013, 15:31
And some quick math... At 7 days to go (note, this is all Net Gain, no room for dropout or pledge reduction, other than rounding to next highest backer or $50/day):

Goal
To Go
Avg/day needed

Capt Smoke

Lieut Smoke

Mate Smoke

Jackpot

Scenario Book
$20K
$2900

A/B/E Chit Bags
$45K
$6450

C/D Chit Bags
$70K
$10K

This last week is gonna have to go like gangbusters... I'm not optimistic, but a part of me really hopes these get knocked off in time to see if they have a $300K hole-card--which I hope they do, it's a last nice round number once past quarter-mil.

GreenLaborMike
04-08-2013, 17:31
Jackpot indeed. 1000 backers may be even more difficult to reach than $300k. This is the goal that I am the most hopeful for, but also the most skeptical of being reached.

Diamondback
04-08-2013, 18:15
LOL I hear that... slow movement, but if this is the start of the tail-spike... (*crossing fingers*)

Goal
To Go

Capt Smoke

Lieut Smoke

Mate Smoke

Jackpot

Scenario Book
$19K

A/B/E Chit Bags
$44K

C/D Chit Bags
$69K

Should i have called it "Sack the Treasure Galleon" instead? LOL

Edit: I'll start tracking hundreds as we get within 5K of a goal, then drop back to thousands once it's checked off until the next is within range.

Cmmdre
04-08-2013, 18:27
Jackpot indeed. 1000 backers may be even more difficult to reach than $300k. This is the goal that I am the most hopeful for, but also the most skeptical of being reached.
1000 backers includes friends that pledge $1 or more. Doesn't have to be someone pledging at gunner and up. So get out there and press gang some friends for less than the cost of a cup of coffee.

RichardPF
04-08-2013, 18:29
$198,617 at close of D-10. $1600 should take 3/4 of D-9. Bruce, your projections change any since last update?

EDIT: $200 from a new backer in the last minutes of the KS-day.

UPDATE: $198,347 at 4PM PDT. One backer dropped out, taking out $330... Two steps forward, one step back it seems.

UPDATE 4:15PM Pacific: down to $198,258. Is it just me, or are we starting to hemorrhage? :(

Sorry. I had missed this.
Just before the international shipping update I was expectiong to need to revise downward.
The KS had just lost two commodore backers, was down about $700 for the day, and that had put it right on the brink.

The numbers based on my ln(t) based curve fit equations still project within the original window ($220K to $230K with a bit under 1000 backers), but now the straight on projection is near the top of that range for dollars and close for backers with no extra room for a last spike.

RichardPF
04-08-2013, 20:10

I have no idea what the Galaxy Defenders project they plan to put up on KS later, but if it involves miniatures, they would do well to offer more as stretch goals!

I think watching how the Galaxy Defenders KS project plays out will be interesting.

Ares has no doubt learned a bunch from this first KS project that they might choose to apply there.

The dynamic, however, may turn out to be very different.

While SGN is not a new release of an existing game, the KS dollar and backer track looks very much like one.
I would attribute that to Wings and this site.

While Galaxy does have a site, there is not much going on there. At least not yet.

The cooperative player and AI enemy dynamic sounds interesting, but I am not aware of Ares using that on any other project.

BTW: While there may not have been as much excitement about the new stretch goals on this board today as there was about those of a few days ago, the SGN KS Project has ABSOLUTELY CAUGHT FIRE TODAY!

GreenLaborMike
04-08-2013, 20:11
1000 backers includes friends that pledge $1 or more. Doesn't have to be someone pledging at gunner and up. So get out there and press gang some friends for less than the cost of a cup of coffee.

I had considered that. I don't want to abuse the process too much, so I'd prefer to encourage people to pledge who may actually end up playing and buying the game, even if they don't end up buying through KS. But having said that, there are a couple friends who may be interested in the game, but not able to participate at a higher level right now.

Diamondback
04-08-2013, 20:37
Level 1 Smoke reached!

Goal
To Go

Capt Smoke
MET

Lieut Smoke

Mate Smoke

Jackpot

Scenario Book
$18K

A/B/E Chit Bags
$43K

C/D Chit Bags
$68K

Cmmdre
04-08-2013, 20:58
I had considered that. I don't want to abuse the process too much, so I'd prefer to encourage people to pledge who may actually end up playing and buying the game, even if they don't end up buying through KS. But having said that, there are a couple friends who may be interested in the game, but not able to participate at a higher level right now.
I agree with you about abusing the process and encouraging people to pledge who may play. With that said, I think a majority of people I know are unwilling to pledge money into something that hasn't hit the store yet nor will it for months. Just because I believe strongly in this project and am willing to commit resources doesn't mean my friends want to commit. However, I think I can get them to put a little into the pot with the promise that I'll share when the time comes.

Berthier
04-08-2013, 21:26
I would have thought Ares has really had a "kickstart" with funding here thus removing the risk of initial tooling and marketing costs to a large extent. Even if disaster struck and sales were poor after the public release I would have thought the hit taken would not be fatal by any means. Saying that, with 200K committed and 225-250K probable I think that's a pretty good return on a new virtually unseen system. The majority of potential players are unlikely to pre-commit to a large investment on a new system they haven't physically seen or touched and thus the difficulty in encourging others to commit and rightly so. On the other hand, Ares has a history now of success with WOG and LOTR so we know they can get product to store and customer and that should lessen the concerns of many. The other benefit is that unlike P500 systems in boardgames (game produced after reaching a certain number of preorders) the production date is known, within limits, whereas I have pre-ordered board games that have been going for over two years with nothing to show! The danger with the traditional pre-order then is you dont know when, sometimes even if, the game will be produced whereas that is less the case with KS although some projects have been unable to deal with their unexpected success admittedly and run very late on delivery.
So that gives you some arguments you can use to encourage any friends you might have who are interested in the system. Plus they get access to exclusives :happy:

Gunner
04-09-2013, 00:34
Someone on this site (was it you) turned me on to the GMT Flying Colors, Blue Cross, White Ensign game on their P500 system. So far it's 398. I wonder how many months, years it will take to get he last 102 pledges?

Berthier
04-09-2013, 04:32
Someone on this site (was it you) turned me on to the GMT Flying Colors, Blue Cross, White Ensign game on their P500 system. So far it's 398. I wonder how many months, years it will take to get he last 102 pledges?

yes it was me and I think knowing GMT it will be more than months, they work out to up to a year ahead and this item hasn't hit P500 yet so it is a long way off :cry:

It's not racing towards the 500 preorders and even if it passes that there are a pile of games ahead of it on the production front. Sometimes they leap frog games because there are problems in development with others, sometimes who knows why. They have a game system called Command & Colors which has sold really well and is out of stock yet they haven't scheduled an immediate reprint, there are probably all manner of production reasons for this and only an insider would have access to the hows and whys but it is frustrating to wait soooo long for some of their preorders. Luckily, they dont bill you till the games go to print and are about 3-4 weeks out from shipping so there is no money at stake only expectation. The last thing I don't like about the P500 is that all the ones I sign up for seem to come to fruition at the same time making a huge whack to the credit card, there's no way to predict when they are going to be published with any accuracy.

OmegaLazarus
04-09-2013, 08:00
eb mate open

Gaz67
04-09-2013, 08:29
Preview from youtube,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5fc6jTIhtQ

7eat51
04-09-2013, 08:36
GMT Flying Colors, Blue Cross, White Ensign game on their P500 system. So far it's 398. I wonder how many months, years it will take to get he last 102 pledges?

The hard part is that the anticipation for, and discussions about, SoG has made me more desirous for this expansion to be released. I hope it makes the 500 mark and sees the light of day. Maybe GMT should look at KSs.

Gunner
04-09-2013, 11:34
Preview from youtube,

Thanks for the preview information Garry. Many things I didn't know, like the different handling features for wind atitude and firing arcs for different ships. It's getting harder and harder to wait for August.

7eat51
04-09-2013, 12:58
Preview from youtube,

Nice video. One thing the reviewer said was that the firing arcs were, in fact, different between the two ships. The only difference I saw was the distance between the three arcs on a given ship due to its size, but that the dimensions of both forward, mid, and rear arcs were actually the same on the two ships. In some ways, it seems like a smaller ship could have less "blind spots" between arcs, while larger ships will be able to hit targets a little more in front and back.

One thing this video did was highlight the difference between WoG and SoG in terms of firing, that being the need to reload, and the subsequent maneuvering taking into account the wind. I think this alone will make the game feel different from WoG. When adding to that the different types of ammo, etc., I think those of us who will play both games won't be bored bouncing between the two - similar enough to learn easily, different enough to feel like one is truly playing a different game.

Thanks for posting the link Garry.

OmegaLazarus
04-09-2013, 13:07
while larger ships will be able to hit targets a little more in front and back.

I noticed that, as well. It seems the one ship had a much more frontal reach than the other when they did the 'side by side' card comparison.

K. guys. I have a dangling $5 on my pledge. What should I get? I am thinking an extra attitude indicator so each side can have a nice one to use or so two can be on opposite ends of a large two map set up for easier reference. Can anyone think of a better use for the $5? I would be willing to add a bit to it instead, but I really am running on a budget as my car is just getting into the bouts of 100,000mi maintenance and I just dropped $300 on it last weekend.

Beowulf03809
04-09-2013, 13:12
I think two nice attitude indicators is a great option, for the reasons you posted as well as in case you want a second table going. Personally I'm probably going to retain my 'nice' versions of these for personal / family use and use the ones from the Starter at any events or LGS games for now, but will probably get another one or two down the road for those above reasons.

At $5 there's not many choices which keeps it simple. If it was $10 suddenly you're on the edge of several ship options with "just a wee bit more".

7eat51
04-09-2013, 13:14
Since wind is a major factor, having two indicators on a larger table could be useful for helping folks plan their moves - also if you want to run two tables. Depending on how many ships you'll be using, the additional card decks or chits would be nice. I think as far as terrain, there will be other options; same with smoke counters.

OmegaLazarus
04-09-2013, 13:46
Thanks guys!

The Royal Hajj
04-09-2013, 14:42
I noticed that, as well. It seems the one ship had a much more frontal reach than the other when they did the 'side by side' card comparison.

K. guys. I have a dangling $5 on my pledge. What should I get? I am thinking an extra attitude indicator so each side can have a nice one to use or so two can be on opposite ends of a large two map set up for easier reference. Can anyone think of a better use for the $5? I would be willing to add a bit to it instead, but I really am running on a budget as my car is just getting into the bouts of 100,000mi maintenance and I just dropped $300 on it last weekend.

Get the second AI. I only had one for my 6 player game and it was being passed around a lot. For my Head to Head game (two players, four ships), I had two of them and they were each getting used. Since everyone is trying to move their ships at the same time and they need to check the wind pretty often, these seem to be the item you are going to want multiples of.

Diamondback
04-09-2013, 15:27
With six days left... (Does that mean this is a Six Day War?)

Goal
To Go

Capt Smoke
MET but unrecognized

Lieut Smoke

Mate Smoke

Jackpot

Scenario Book
$16K

A/B/E Chit Bags
$41K

C/D Chit Bags
$66K

Looks like we better hope the tail-spike is HUGE... and press-gang every possible recruit--my usual evening bus driver isn't a wargamer but IS a history enthusiast and I've even pitched this to him...

OmegaLazarus
04-09-2013, 15:43
That cinches it. If the Ober.... er... Royal advises it, my money is spent. Thanks.

7eat51
04-09-2013, 15:50
Get the second AI. I only had one for my 6 player game and it was being passed around a lot. For my Head to Head game (two players, four ships), I had two of them and they were each getting used. Since everyone is trying to move their ships at the same time and they need to check the wind pretty often, these seem to be the item you are going to want multiples of.

Thanks Keith. It is really good hearing things like this from someone who play-tested the game. Depending on what happens with the remaining stretch goals, I will add another, myself.

Diamondback
04-09-2013, 16:41
We have another drop-out (crested at 909 an hour ago)... I won't be adding more capital until Thursday when I see what my last available reserves are, but at that point I'll be All In with everything I can pillage between now and then.

UPDATE: Replaced... :)

Reupdate at 6PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Capt/Lt/Mate Smoke
MET/14/39

Jackpot

Scenario Book
$15K

A/B/E Chit Bags
$40K

C/D Chit Bags
$65K

Beowulf03809
04-09-2013, 20:04
With less than 100 to go I really feel like the 1000 is reachable. Unfortunately I've already tapped my fellow gamers and those that wanted are in.

The Barrelman
04-09-2013, 20:48
If we could get to 1000 backers, I would toss in another $20 for a Game Mat for a total of 2 at my pledge level. That would be a good starting point I can afford right now. That and have to get rid of my WGF stuff. Can only support one right now. Wish I could do more to support both.

GreenLaborMike
04-09-2013, 22:40
With less than 100 to go I really feel like the 1000 is reachable. Unfortunately I've already tapped my fellow gamers and those that wanted are in.

I wish I felt as confident. 15 new supporters per day for 6 days is a tall order. I know the last two days customarily see large spikes in money and backers, but I wonder if they will be large enough in this case. I've started spreading the word to my friends. Even one additional backer makes a difference.

RichardPF
04-09-2013, 23:56
If we could get to 1000 backers, I would toss in another $20 for a Game Mat for a total of 2 at my pledge level. That would be a good starting point I can afford right now. That and have to get rid of my WGF stuff. Can only support one right now. Wish I could do more to support both.

Prices are pretty high on earlier series WGF stuff these days.
If you really do want to get rid of your old stuff you may be surprised at how much it brings.

Berthier
04-10-2013, 03:29
Prices are pretty high on earlier series WGF stuff these days.
If you really do want to get rid of your old stuff you may be surprised at how much it brings.

Funny you should mention this as I have sold off most of my WOG stuff partly in anticipation of the costs of SOG but mainly to make room! I wonder if this could be an unintended consequence of the release of SOG, a reduction in sales of WOG? I suppose any who do migrate will spend up big on SOG and new SOG players may also discover WOG and start up there as well. Calls for another discussion on the synergistic effects of comparative products lines and sales habits.....err perhaps not...

Beowulf03809
04-10-2013, 06:17
I am more of a pack rat when it comes to games. I may not invest anything new into one, and occasionally have donated a game to a friend that is more excited about it than I, but I don't think I've ever sold off anything. The way I see it, if I was playing and enjoying the game with a certain amount of things already, and it didn't cost me anything to maintain that collection (other than space) then there was nothing to loose by keeping it. It is hard sometimes to not get swept up into further purchases for it, but if you have already committed the game to be sold perhaps you can keep a self-imposed budget freeze on it?

The stupid, bordering on offensive, prices that GW is currently charging for Lord of the Rings miniatures has completely shut out any interest I have in spending any of my own money on the system. I know many people that are selling off their armies when they get out of the hobby because they feel if they can't buy anything new they aren't interested. But I greatly enjoy the game and have enough models already to play a few different armies so I have personal variety and can host a variety of two-sided battles myself if someone didn't have their own. Similarly I own some CCGs (don't shudder...they're not Magic or Pokemon!) and a couple other miniature games systems at a lesser level that even if they are no longer being produced or I'm not actively investing in them they are fun and I'm holding on.

If I owned a few, or even a few dozen, WGF planes (someday!) and was going to start investing in SOG I personally would hold onto the planes as well. Maybe sell a small select part of the collection to help pay for the SOG investment, but it looks like a great system and if you have local players you can continue to enjoy it even if you are not spending more on it going forward.

Just my 2 pieces of eight.

OmegaLazarus
04-10-2013, 08:53
eb mate open

GreenLaborMike
04-10-2013, 10:23
926 backers now. Lieutenants get second set of smoke counters. Woot!

Still not sure that we will end up with an average of 15 backers per day for the last 5 days, but it's not impossible. $275,000 is seeming further out of reach, but who knows. What I will say is, I am extremely impressed with the generous support the backers are showing for this game. Taking away the $1 supporters, the remaining backers are averaging over $250 in pledges. That's some hardcore support for a new game that very few have had the opportunity to play!

Normally, I would say "Why would anyone commit so much money this way?" but I am squarely in this category. All I can say is that it is hitting a sweet spot for me - all the features of this game just happen to pique my interest and enthusiasm. And fortunately it is happening at a time when I can manage to participate financially.

Five more days...74 more backers needed...$61,500 in pledges...will it happen?

OmegaLazarus
04-10-2013, 10:33
Normally, I would say "Why would anyone commit so much money this way?" but I am squarely in this category. All I can say is that it is hitting a sweet spot for me - all the features of this game just happen to pique my interest and enthusiasm. And fortunately it is happening at a time when I can manage to participate financially.

Exactly my situation as well.

Beowulf03809
04-10-2013, 10:36
I like this in the comments of the latest KS update (in response to a question about pirates, fire ships, etc.):

"yes, we plan to go ahead and do the bags in any case. Merchants, pirates, forts, fire ships... we want them all! But also, 64 guns, 100 guns, 128 guns, sloops, brigs, the Spanish fleet... We are compiling a very long wish list, and we'll unveil more details of our future plans before the end of the week."

That last dozen or so words makes me feel all tingly.

:happy:

The Barrelman
04-10-2013, 10:56
That last dozen or so words makes me feel all tingly.

:happy:

LOL! :dazed: :shock:

OmegaLazarus
04-10-2013, 12:33
eb mate open

I can't believe this is still open. This is the longest I have seen ANY EB open since the campaign started.

Beowulf03809
04-10-2013, 14:43
Maybe because Lt and even Captain look SO much more appealing now with the additions KS has piled on? It's not as big of a step from Mate to Lt when you deduct out the perks.

RichardPF
04-10-2013, 15:00
Maybe because Lt and even Captain look SO much more appealing now with the additions KS has piled on? It's not as big of a step from Mate to Lt when you deduct out the perks.

While it will still require a bit of last days kick to reach, $250K is looking like a real possibility.
That would make the captain and above level even more compelling.
My basic equation projection (without any last days kick consideration) is now pointing right at $235K.

One downside to hitting the $250K level might be that it would take some of the immediacy out of Keith making upscale bags available.

7eat51
04-10-2013, 15:00

I moved from Captain to Commodore for the same reason. After seeing my total cost for extras, the jump decreased quite a bit, especially given the addition of a second set of ships. For those who plan on running games at conventions, etc., the higher levels are better deals.

RichardPF
04-10-2013, 15:07
I moved from Captain to Commodore for the same reason. After seeing my total cost for extras, the jump decreased quite a bit, especially given the addition of a second set of ships. For those who plan on running games at conventions, etc., the higher levels are better deals.

I believe that you are not alone.
The average dollars per pledge has been steadily increasing through the run of the project.
It is many times the KS project average.

My pledge is a bit out there too, but I have always been an outlier (in all kinds of ways:embarass:).

OmegaLazarus
04-10-2013, 15:35
Sure, but as long as there is one Mate pledge, there should be no open EB mate pledges. That's all I mean. I went from Cpt to EB Cpt when one opened. That is just free swag.

GreenLaborMike
04-10-2013, 15:36

I did the same thing, but with the added benefit of snagging an EB Commodore slot. At $480, the value just can't be beat. I wasn't planning on running the game at conventions (it's been years since I've gone to one), but with my shiny new toys, I might start going just so I get full use of them. :happy::minis::thumbsup:

Diamondback
04-10-2013, 16:04
At 3PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Capt/Lt/Mate Smoke
MET/MET/20

Jackpot

Scenario Book
$10K

A/B/E Chit Bags
$35K

C/D Chit Bags
$60K

[/QUOTE]

Here's hopin' this thing does a Saturn V... IF 5K/day becomes the new normal with a 10K tail, that puts us short of the chit bags by 10K--I have a Beancounter Overrule that says after Thursday I can go to $725 but no more.

RichardPF
04-10-2013, 16:26
At 3PM Pacific:

Here's hopin' this thing does a Saturn V... IF 5K/day becomes the new normal with a 10K tail, that puts us short of the chit bags by 10K--I have a Beancounter Overrule that says after Thursday I can go to $725 but no more.

$725 gets you well into "the chips" so to speak :minis: :minis: :minis:

Diamondback
04-10-2013, 16:45
That's...

$520
Commodore Package

$20
HMS Victory

$20
USS Constitution

$35
7x Capt/Crew Decks for Wave 1

$36
3 each A/B/E bags for Wave 1

$24
3 each C/D bags for Wave 1

$12
Extra counter sheet for Wave 1

$24
2 each A/B/E bags for Wave 2

$16
2 each C/D bags for Wave 2

$24
2x extra counter sheet for Wave 2

$741
Expected total

$725
Allotted in Beancounter Overrule plus Annual Project Fund

$16
Expected from "Back of Wallet Fund"

Deferring extra maps, mats, smoke and Terrain Packs, and the Crew decks for Wave 2 because I know I will be able to get all of those later if at higher price. All of this is also based on Worst Case Assumptions that we don't make $250K or 1000 backers... if we do, I'll redirect the resulting savings accordingly.

RichardPF
04-10-2013, 17:07
Deferring extra maps, mats, smoke and Terrain Packs, and the Crew decks for Wave 2 because I know I will be able to get all of those later if at higher price. All of this is also based on Worst Case Assumptions that we don't make $250K or 1000 backers... if we do, I'll redirect the resulting savings accordingly.

$250K is looking like a real possibility...

GreenLaborMike
04-10-2013, 17:31
$250K is looking like a real possibility...

Note sure if everyone is aware, but this website is a good tool to analyze how Kickstarter projects are performing. The current trend for SoG (SGN?) is to reach $250,000, but it's been bouncing just over and under that number the last few days.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1402889231/sails-of-glory-miniatures-ship-combat/#chart-daily

Diamondback
04-10-2013, 17:38
Yeah, but Kicktraq trends tend to be over-optimistic--the projection cone is closer, but even its mathematical model has flaws.

Besides, for my budget and available goodies, I have to err on the cautious side...

GreenLaborMike
04-10-2013, 18:18
Yeah, but Kicktraq trends tend to be over-optimistic--the projection cone is closer, but even its mathematical model has flaws.

I don't have any experience with Kicktraq and other projects, so I can't speak to that, although the site is quite up front that they are presenting trends, not projections. Time will tell if they are accurate here.

But in any event, I think the "pledges and backers by day" page is also quite useful. The game clearly had some pent up demand, given the huge number of supporters in the first few days. Since then it's been pretty mellow, with a slight uptick these last few days. 14 backers per day for 5 days...it's possible...right?

The Royal Hajj
04-10-2013, 18:34
While it will still require a bit of last days kick to reach, $250K is looking like a real possibility.
That would make the captain and above level even more compelling.
My basic equation projection (without any last days kick consideration) is now pointing right at $235K.

One downside to hitting the $250K level might be that it would take some of the immediacy out of Keith making upscale bags available.

Well, they have already said that if they don't make the stretch goal for the free bags, anyone can get them as add on options. I still plan on having several accessories on the site and ready to ship as soon as the game lands in our hands. Admiral bags will most likely be one of them.

Sure, but as long as there is one Mate pledge, there should be no open EB mate pledges. That's all I mean. I went from Cpt to EB Cpt when one opened. That is just free swag.

I'm sure as soon as one of those Mates takes the time to look again, they will snap it up.

tmon
04-10-2013, 20:45
Horatio Hornblower and not having to paint.

Diamondback
04-10-2013, 21:57
At 9PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Capt/Lt/Mate Smoke
MET/MET/15

Jackpot

Scenario Book
$10K

A/B/E Chit Bags
$35K

C/D Chit Bags
$60K

Moving update schedule to every five backers or $5000, or three hours, or my logon or logoff.

Diamondback
04-11-2013, 00:31
At 11:30PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Capt/Lt/Mate Smoke
MET/MET/10

Jackpot

Scenario Book
$8K

A/B/E Chit Bags
$33K

C/D Chit Bags
$58K

A little early, but I'm getting ready to call it a night. Any breakthroughs before I finish disengagement, and I'll do a final update for the night...

The Barrelman
04-11-2013, 06:46
Looking at the current numbers... If we make it to 225k in pledges at $150 average per person, the pledge count would be ~1008. I can live without chit holding devices until the AA options are unveiled and get a free mat.

Beowulf03809
04-11-2013, 07:09
Looking at the current numbers... If we make it to 225k in pledges at $150 average per person, the pledge count would be ~1008. I can live without chit holding devices until the AA options are unveiled and get a free mat.

Aye!

Cmmdre
04-11-2013, 07:51
Kicktraq forecasts a little over $250k. This is a number that's been kicked around by a few members already. $275k is a stretch goal too far I believe but $250k is totally doable and appears at this point to be where we'll end up in my opinion. I am by no means a numbers guy. I'll leave that to RichardPF.

Gaz67
04-11-2013, 07:57
I agree Paul, I think we'll end up just over the $250K mark, I hope we'll do better but I think $250 - $260 will be where it ends.

My 2 shillings worth...

The Barrelman
04-11-2013, 10:19
I agree Paul, I think we'll end up just over the $250K mark, I hope we'll do better but I think $250 - $260 will be where it ends.

I was not confident going over 250k yesterday. But, it looks possible if the pledge level gains at the current rate. I hope it does, even if the Lieutenants like me gain nothing extra at that number (275k required).

7eat51
04-11-2013, 11:13
At this point, outside of $1 backers, I don't know how many folks will sign up at higher levels. I imagine a good deal of any upcoming spike will be current pledgers adding on last minute items based on perceived level of rewards, or getting off the fence about adding additional mats, etc.

It would be interesting to know how last day spikes typically are comprised.

Coog
04-11-2013, 11:55
I think at least $225k goal is possible but 57 more new backers to reach the 1000 backer goal could really be a stretch. I am thinking that those interested in SoG have pretty much already pledged.

GreenLaborMike
04-11-2013, 12:13
I think at least $225k goal is possible but 57 more new backers to reach the 1000 backer goal could really be a stretch. I am thinking that those interested in SoG have pretty much already pledged.

Very unlikely. Keep in mind that I am one of the perfect examples of players that SoG could never have counted on attracting to this project. I have never played with naval miniatures (or any military or historical miniatures, actually, unless you count the Axis & Allies game from 20 years ago), and although I am an avid gamer at heart (rarely find time to play anymore), I don't really hang out (well, not until very recently!) on many game-related websites. I came across this game purely by accident.

In addition, a frequent refrain I hear from many friends is that there was a kickstarter project related to some game or item that they would have LOVED to support, but didn't find out about it until too late.

This isn't too say that there are thousands of potential customers just waiting to throw down $300 a piece to buy this game if only they knew about it, but there is a reason that major corporations spend tens of millions of dollars on marketing and advertising. There are a lot of people out there who have not seen or heard anything about this game or this particular Kickstarter project. I suspect 1000 backers is a very achievable goal because 55 people willing to throw down some money may hear about the game in the next 5 days. (I admit that I have completely come around to this idea from even a few days ago).

Gaz67
04-11-2013, 12:32
Any bright ideas on how to rapidly spread the word??

RichardPF
04-11-2013, 13:02

Very unlikely. Keep in mind that I am one of the perfect examples of players that SoG could never have counted on attracting to this project. I have never played with naval miniatures (or any military or historical miniatures, actually, unless you count the Axis & Allies game from 20 years ago), and although I am an avid gamer at heart (rarely find time to play anymore), I don't really hang out (well, not until very recently!) on many game-related websites. I came across this game purely by accident.

In addition, a frequent refrain I hear from many friends is that there was a kickstarter project related to some game or item that they would have LOVED to support, but didn't find out about it until too late.

This isn't too say that there are thousands of potential customers just waiting to throw down $300 a piece to buy this game if only they knew about it, but there is a reason that major corporations spend tens of millions of dollars on marketing and advertising. There are a lot of people out there who have not seen or heard anything about this game or this particular Kickstarter project. I suspect 1000 backers is a very achievable goal because 55 people willing to throw down some money may hear about the game in the next 5 days. (I admit that I have completely come around to this idea from even a few days ago).

I believe that we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg so far.

This site has just over 200 total members.
The Wings site has over 3600 members.
I would think that naval warfare gaming is at least as popular as aircraft warfare gaming, probably more so.

I believe that for many like Mike, this game is just now appearing on the horizon.
To see that, take a look at the site member list and sort by most recent visit, look at the percentage that have zero or a very low number of posts but whose most recent visit was today or yesterday.
I think that the share of mind/franchise will continue to grow at a slightly accelerating organic rate until the actual release of the game.

It will likely be difficult (and would be expensive) to make it grow much faster than that while the game is still "vaporware" in the eyes of many.
Once the minis start moving around tables at conventions and more so at FLGS, I believe that there will be a substantial spike in awareness.

In the world of data analysis and curve fitting, this pattern is known as a sigmoid function.

I would guess that at this point there is a much better than a 50% chance of hitting 1000 backers by the end of the project.
(and another 1000 would be backers by the time the game is available)

GreenLaborMike
04-11-2013, 13:29
In the world of data analysis and curve fitting, this pattern is known as a sigmoid function.

What he said. :question:

(The American in me wants to make a very bad joke in reference to a semi-obscure saturday morning kids tv show in the 70's - "Hey, no seamonsters on this site!" Not sure if anyone else will get that joke.)

OmegaLazarus
04-11-2013, 13:41

C'mon Micheal, don't you know!? Sigmoid Function is the father of psychoanalysis. He was a great man.

RichardPF
04-11-2013, 13:49

(The American in me wants to make a very bad joke in reference to a semi-obscure saturday morning kids tv show in the 70's - "Hey, no seamonsters on this site!" Not sure if anyone else will get that joke.)

Have you seen KS Update #26?

Diamondback
04-11-2013, 13:53
At 1:00PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Capt/Lt/Mate Smoke
MET/MET/4

Jackpot

Scenario Book
$6K

A/B/E Chit Bags
$31K

C/D Chit Bags
$56K

My Commodore upgrade is added, but the add-ons in anticipation of Wave 2 and for extra counters and bags are not yet.

GrouperKicker
04-11-2013, 13:57

It sure wasn't lost on me!!!

Beowulf03809
04-11-2013, 14:06
If anyone was a member of a history, naval or sailing community, or followed any FB or blogs about such, those are good places to put a link and a little message.

I only really follow one other game related forum and have posted a message over there already. I also shared on my FB a few times but I'm more of the "anti-social" FB user and only have about 20 friends there so I'm not very useful for spreading the word on something.

Beowulf03809
04-11-2013, 14:16

Wow...flashback! I loved the Kroft shows. Sure...everyone jumps to Land of the Lost and I loved that as a kid, but Pufnstuff (yeah...), Electrawoman and Dyangirl...Wonderbug. Those were awesome to grow up with.

Oh...sorry...Kickstarter...yeah...

Diamondback
04-11-2013, 15:04
*throws bucket of water on Lawrence* "Focus, man, focus! For God's sake, snap out of it!"

And we just lost two more... which partially undid the work I did upgrading my Captain to a Commodore. Oh well, I'm gettin' my Big Crate O' Goodies in August anyway... just means we won't get as many goodies with our packages. *shrugs*

Gunner
04-11-2013, 15:26
C'mon Micheal, don't you know!? Sigmoid Function is the father of psychoanalysis. He was a great man.

He was a nut.

7eat51
04-11-2013, 15:32
He was a nut.

No, he just had an ego problem.

Coog
04-11-2013, 15:38

And an Oedipus complex.

7eat51
04-11-2013, 15:47
And an Oedipus complex.

As said on another thread, a Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean amother.

Gunner
04-11-2013, 16:01
As said on another thread, a Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean amother.

It's always nice to have someone besides yourself to blame.

My father had Freud beat hands down. Whenever I went to him with a problem, he had just two words to say, " HANDLE IT"
Those two words worked for me my whole life.

GreenLaborMike
04-11-2013, 16:17
It's always nice to have someone besides yourself to blame.

My father had Freud beat hands down. Whenever I went to him with a problem, he had just two words to say, " HANDLE IT"
Those two words worked for me my whole life.

That's an excellent sentiment.

I do want to say, though, that as with most of life, the perception of self-reliance can be taken to extremes. Soldiers returning from war who suffer from PTSD should not - and literally can not - just "handle it". Individuals suffering from alcoholism can not just "handle it". On the other hand, those individuals who are unable to ever accept personal responsibility - who always have some excuse for their own failures, are the other extreme.

Off my soapbox now. How many backers are we from the jackpot???

Diamondback
04-11-2013, 16:53
At 4:00PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Capt/Lt/Mate Smoke
MET/MET/4

Jackpot

Scenario Book
$5K

A/B/E Chit Bags
$30K

C/D Chit Bags
$55K

RichardPF
04-11-2013, 18:18

Id agree to that...
He had a really super ego problem.

Diamondback
04-11-2013, 20:54
Lost one again, $5500 to next goal.

GreenLaborMike
04-11-2013, 21:12
EB Captain Open

Diamondback
04-11-2013, 21:55
Two to next backer-based goal. Still $5500.

GreenLaborMike
04-11-2013, 22:52
950 backers! 50 more in 4 days? Can it be done? We're more than on pace at this point (Down to 12.5 per day...).

I am all the more skeptical that we'll hit $250k, much less $275. If the trend of $250 per backer holds, then we're looking at $235-$240k. I realize there is the possibility of a big spike at the end, but it's hard to imagine a $55,000 spike.

Diamondback
04-12-2013, 03:31
At 2:30AM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Capt/Lt/Mate Smoke
MET/MET/MET

Jackpot

Scenario Book
$5K

A/B/E Chit Bags
$30K

C/D Chit Bags
$55K

Will be deleting Smoke from the table next update... at the rate cash pledges are going, NOT feeling optimistic even with having another $130 available to put in play. KT trendline is now roughly in the middle of the projection cone. I think either Bag goal is now approaching the "Minor Miracle" category... we can't predict what kind of tailspike to expect, so I'm trying to factor it out completely and assume that whatever comes in it is just a really nice bonus. :)

Cmmdre
04-12-2013, 03:59
Early Bird Lieutenant just opened up.

Cmmdre
04-12-2013, 04:01
At 2:30AM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Capt/Lt/Mate Smoke
MET/MET/MET

Jackpot

Scenario Book
$5K

A/B/E Chit Bags
$30K

C/D Chit Bags
$55K

Will be deleting Smoke from the table next update... at the rate cash pledges are going, NOT feeling optimistic even with having another $130 available to put in play. KT trendline is now roughly in the middle of the projection cone. I think either Bag goal is now approaching the "Minor Miracle" category... we can't predict what kind of tailspike to expect, so I'm trying to factor it out completely and assume that whatever comes in it is just a really nice bonus. :)

Bags would be nice but I agree that goal is truly a stretch.

OmegaLazarus
04-12-2013, 08:42
Id agree to that...
He had a really super ego problem.

Well played, sir.

OmegaLazarus
04-12-2013, 08:44

But a Freudian slide is always cleats up for maximum intimidation.

OmegaLazarus
04-12-2013, 11:08
EB mate open

GreenLaborMike
04-12-2013, 14:21
EB mate open

Two EB Mates open now. See how long that lasts...

Diamondback
04-12-2013, 14:24
At 1:15PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Jackpot

Scenario Book
$1500

A/B/E Chit Bags
$27K

C/D Chit Bags
$52K

When's the tailspike normally start? Just the last day, last two? If it's all final week I'm not seeing a lotta grounds for optimism...

The Barrelman
04-12-2013, 15:10
Someone needs to contact the 20 Mates that there are 2 open EB Mates. I guess people are upgrading to Lieutenant and Captain tiers from all the extras being added to tiers. I am getting ready to add a mat to my EB Lieutenant in anticipation of reaching 1000 pledges. My current level is perfect for me. Not to much and can add the extra ships from e-tail shops like AA as needed.

GreenLaborMike
04-12-2013, 15:10
When's the tailspike normally start? Just the last day, last two? If it's all final week I'm not seeing a lotta grounds for optimism...

Depends on the project. Tailspikes start anywhere between 1-7 days before the end of the project. In this case, I would expect the last two days to be the big days, with a definite emphasis on the last day. Probably not a $52k jump, but $27k is quite possible.

Gunner
04-12-2013, 15:26
Two EB Mates open now. See how long that lasts...

Looks like the Mates are buying their commissions.

GreenLaborMike
04-12-2013, 16:29
In looking at the data, there have been 90 new backers in the last 5 days. That's a better stretch than any time since early March. We are wll ahead of pace to reach 1000 at this point. Maybe even 1025 or 1050, depending on the size, if any, of the tailspike.

GreenLaborMike
04-12-2013, 17:32
Well, unless I am mistaken, it looks like we are now in the midst of the tail spike. 27 backers today, which is the best day since March 9, and there are still almost 4.5 hours left in the day, according to KickTraq. Less than $200 to $225k and the free scenario booklet. Woot!

Cmmdre
04-12-2013, 18:16
:happy: Over $225k and climbing. :clap:

Diamondback
04-12-2013, 19:25
At 6:15PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Jackpot

Scenario Book
MET

A/B/E Chit Bags
$24K

C/D Chit Bags
$49K

Will be deleting the Scenario Book next update...

GreenLaborMike
04-12-2013, 21:44
I am posting with the backer level at 984 and counting... As I make dinner and drink a glass of wine, it's like watching the slot machine slowly hit the jackpot, one backer at a time. I am starting to wonder if Ares will put up another stretch goal before this is over...

Cmmdre
04-12-2013, 21:53
The tailspike is keeping pace with expectations. I could see another stretch goal to lure in those who have been trying to hold out, for whatever reason, and take it to miracle territory. :pray:

RichardPF
04-12-2013, 22:39
So from what I understand, even after the Kickstarter officially ends, anyone who is a backer for any amount can increase their pledge while responding to the email Ares will send backers at the end of the project to allocate dollars.

There is a chance that the KS project will end at just under $250K but could be put over by extra cash that may be added during the email responses.

I wonder if that would count as meeting the $250K stretch goal?

Just wondering...

Coog
04-12-2013, 22:45
Additional purchases after the Kickstarter ends do not count toward the pledge amount.

7eat51
04-12-2013, 23:12
If we hit 1,000 backers, which now seems highly possible, I wonder if Ares would give Captain and above a choice between more terrain or additional mats. Any chance of this happening?

Diamondback
04-13-2013, 01:17
At midnight Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Jackpot

A/B/E Chit Bags
$23K

C/D Chit Bags
$48K

Personally, I think restraint would be prudent on further stretches... keep 'em easy "Quick Hits" that won't cost a lot or are already developed, and won't have high bars to meet. Maybe something small like another $5000 and everyone Mate and above gets their choice of one $5 addon (including smoke packs though they're only $4) free--by my math, at pledge-cost that's $4670, so setting a 5K requirement would mean at least $330 in profit, plus whatever the profit margin on those items' pledge vs production-cost, plus an extra buck every time somebody chose smoke...

The Barrelman
04-13-2013, 01:36
So now we get a PDF of scenarios. I hope the working area for the scenarios is contained within the sizes of one or more SGN mats being released. I look at the basic scenarios in the WGF duel pack rules and noticed the space requirements were much larger than standard mats. Most ask the area be 100 cm x 140 cm which is larger (slightly) than two mats combined.

Diamondback
04-13-2013, 01:40
Posted a suggestion for a quick, easy, cheap and profitable "final stretch" on the KS comment page BTW. :)

Cmmdre
04-13-2013, 07:47
I like the rolling stretch goals idea Diamondback. Keep throwing the lion a piece of meat. I also think Ares has a point about Lieutenants upgrading to Captain. For an additional $120 bucks the upgrade brings $210 dollars in value to the pledge which in turn gives the KS project a $30K boost. A win win situation. :thumbsup:

Andy Blozinski
04-13-2013, 09:00
I like the rolling stretch goals idea Diamondback. Keep throwing the lion a piece of meat. I also think Ares has a point about Lieutenants upgrading to Captain. For an additional $120 bucks the upgrade brings $210 dollars in value to the pledge which in turn gives the KS project a $30K boost. A win win situation. :thumbsup:
How does it come out to $210? I'm only seeing $132 in ships plus a $20 mat difference.

Cmmdre
04-13-2013, 09:04
How does it come out to $210? I'm only seeing $132 in ships plus a $20 mat difference.

I am merely quoting what Ares is saying on their KS site. I can't back up their numbers nor have I broken it down by item as I have only had one cup of coffee at this point. :dazed:

RichardPF
04-13-2013, 09:40

I believe that Ares was starting with the suggested retail prices rather than what the items could be added for as Kickstarter pledge add ons.

RichardPF
04-13-2013, 09:47
EB Mate and Captain open right now...

GreenLaborMike
04-13-2013, 09:50

I think Richard is correct that Ares' was going by suggested retail price. But also keep in mind that Captain level is about to get two additional terrain packs and an addition counter sheet that lieutenants won't get, and will very likely also get the 3 A/B/E damage chit bags. At that point, if you are going to sink $140 as a lieutenant, and you have any spare cash, it really does make sense to boost up to Captain. Yes, lieutenants will also get a game mat, but I think the point is self-evident that the Captain level is a better value overall.

Cmmdre
04-13-2013, 09:56
That's right Michael, press those Jr. officer corps to move up if they can scratch it together. When the ship sails we'll be outward bound and there's no looking back. :smack:

GreenLaborMike
04-13-2013, 09:59
T minus 8 and counting...

bcoon
04-13-2013, 10:06
EB Mate and Captain open right now...

EB Captain is taken.
Now I can get the Constitution with the extra $20!:happy::happy:

Cmmdre
04-13-2013, 10:09
:thumbsup: Awesome Biff. That's a great deal. :minis:

GreenLaborMike
04-13-2013, 11:49
T Minus 7....

GreenLaborMike
04-13-2013, 12:53
T minus 6....

Diamondback
04-13-2013, 14:05
At 1PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Jackpot

A/B/E Chit Bags
$22K

C/D Chit Bags
$47K

3 days 1 hour remaining...

GreenLaborMike
04-13-2013, 14:45
T minus 4...

The Barrelman
04-13-2013, 15:14
I think Richard is correct that Ares' was going by suggested retail price. But also keep in mind that Captain level is about to get two additional terrain packs and an addition counter sheet that lieutenants won't get, and will very likely also get the 3 A/B/E damage chit bags. At that point, if you are going to sink $140 as a lieutenant, and you have any spare cash, it really does make sense to boost up to Captain. Yes, lieutenants will also get a game mat, but I think the point is self-evident that the Captain level is a better value overall.

It's relative as to what a person wants. I am perfectly happy with an EB Lieutenant slot because I do not want extra counters and the like. I do not intent on playing huge games or run at conventions. And, if I want the extra ships, online retailer discounts would make the models cheaper then the difference between the levels. It all depends on what you want (just enough or extras galore).

GreenLaborMike
04-13-2013, 15:22
T minus 3....

GreenLaborMike
04-13-2013, 16:35
T minus 2...

RichardPF
04-13-2013, 16:41
T minus 2...

I wonder if there are a number of people now waiting for the next backer so that they can then be number 1000?

Cmmdre
04-13-2013, 16:46
Very plausible. Once that breaks there may be a flood. :erk:

GreenLaborMike
04-13-2013, 17:52
T minus 1...

GreenLaborMike
04-13-2013, 17:55
1000!!!!!!!

Cmmdre
04-13-2013, 18:10
1000!!!!!!!

:clap: Another milestone.:happy:

Diamondback
04-13-2013, 18:12
Jackpot... Houston, we have Jackpot. LOL

Diamondback
04-13-2013, 18:38
[QUOTE=Diamondback;9903]That's...

$520
Commodore Package

$20
HMS Victory

$20
USS Constitution

$35
7x Capt/Crew Decks for Wave 1

$36
3 each A/B/E bags for Wave 1

$24
3 each C/D bags for Wave 1

$24
2 each A/B/E bags for Wave 2

$16
2 each C/D bags for Wave 2

$12
extra counter sheet for Wave 2 (1 each for W1 and W2 in 1K-backer jackpot)

$715
Expected total

$725
Allotted in Beancounter Overrule plus Annual Project Fund

May add two more mats to go with the TP#1s and #2s in the Thousand Backer Jackpot, depending on if we make 250. $20K in 68 hours is MUCH more likely than 45K... and deleting two each of the addon A/B/E bags will save the cost of one mat, plus $4 toward the overage on another... though the savings if we DO hit 275 would buy me yet another mat.

Andy Blozinski
04-13-2013, 19:04
1000!!!!!!!

Yeah! This was going to be the decider on if I got mats or not. It's going to take 3-4 mats to play this game. I already own a felt mat that would work fine, but these are nicer. A free one at least helps justify the expense to buy two more mats to be able to run a convention game.

pward
04-13-2013, 19:12
It's relative as to what a person wants. I am perfectly happy with an EB Lieutenant slot because I do not want extra counters and the like. I do not intent on playing huge games or run at conventions. And, if I want the extra ships, online retailer discounts would make the models cheaper then the difference between the levels. It all depends on what you want (just enough or extras galore).

Now that the KS has reached 1000, I think the Lieutenant pledge level is an excellent bargain. This where I pledged and I plan to add another captain and crew deck, counters, and the 5 chit bags. I'll pick up the reamining first wave ships after the public release (and my wallet recovers).

Diamondback
04-13-2013, 19:46
Part of why I'm stocking up on chits, bags and other may-not-be-available-again later items is in anticipation of future releases. :) Even if I sell half my Wave 1 acquisitions later rather than my current plans to repaint them as their "B Side" sisters, I'll still have plenty of supplies pre-cached. :)

Berthier
04-13-2013, 19:56
Any sign of the mat prototype yet, or have I missed it?

The Barrelman
04-13-2013, 21:19
Now that the KS has reached 1000, I think the Lieutenant pledge level is an excellent bargain. This where I pledged and I plan to add another captain and crew deck, counters, and the 5 chit bags. I'll pick up the reamining first wave ships after the public release (and my wallet recovers).

I agree. At 1000 backers, the Lieutenant pledge is an excellent level for people that want a full set of items to start their adventures. I am going to pump my pledge up $20 for a second mat. From what everyone who tried the prototypes say, two mats will be a must for most average scenarios and combat sessions.

7eat51
04-13-2013, 21:34
With all of the extra land terrain due to 1,000 pledgers, I really hope these mats will be plain ocean or I am looking at a lot of shore scenarios.

Coog
04-13-2013, 21:39
Now that the KS has reached 1000, I think the Lieutenant pledge level is an excellent bargain.

EB Lieutenant level has worked out perfect for me. Add etrxa mat, attitude indicator, ruler, set of cards and Constitution, just right.

Gunner
04-13-2013, 21:55
EB Mate open right now.

Diamondback
04-14-2013, 03:06
At 2AM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Time Left
60 hours

A/B/E Chit Bags
$19K

C/D Chit Bags
$44K

KT cone is narrowing... proj is $241K-261K, trendline around 263.

RichardPF
04-14-2013, 04:28
EB Commodore Available!!!

Hey Boss, were there going to be EB/Standard Commodore medals??

Berthier
04-14-2013, 05:10
Funny you should mention that Richard

EB Commodore
Daniel D

Well it was there and I couldnt say no...must be OCD:embarass:

RichardPF
04-14-2013, 05:53

EB Commodore
Daniel D

Glad to help such a distinguished site member!

EB Mate now available...

Cmmdre
04-14-2013, 06:16

EB Commodore
Daniel D

Excellent choice. Plenty of bonuses with that rank Daniel. Congratulations. :clap:

Diamondback
04-14-2013, 06:33
[QUOTE=Diamondback;10517]At 5:30AM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Time Left
56 hours

A/B/E Chit Bags
$16K

C/D Chit Bags
$41K

Capt's get extra Crew Deck

Capt's get extra Ruler

GreenLaborMike
04-14-2013, 06:49
Two EB Mates open now.

I suspect that we will not get the huge rush at the end that I confess I really believed would happen. No doubt there has been a substantial uptick in sales these last few days, but not huge. $250k is iffy, i think.

Berthier
04-14-2013, 06:49
Excellent choice. Plenty of bonuses with that rank Daniel. Congratulations. :clap:

Thanks Paul, should open up an EB captain I think.

Cmmdre
04-14-2013, 06:53
Maybe a lucky lieutenant or mate will buy a promotion. :moneygone:

RichardPF
04-14-2013, 07:08
Two EB Mates open now.

I suspect that we will not get the huge rush at the end that I confess I really believed would happen. No doubt there has been a substantial uptick in sales these last few days, but not huge. $250k is iffy, i think.

Thanks Paul, should open up an EB captain I think.

Maybe a lucky lieutenant or mate will buy a promotion. :moneygone:

Over the course of the KS project, the average pledge has been rising steadily.
It is now at about $232.50.
This is many times the KS average for all projects.

I think that this is kind of amazing especially given that in the SGN project there are more pledge levels available below this amount than above.
Also that with most product lines in the world, the lower end products greatly outsell the higher end ones not only in terms of numbers but total dollars as well.
I mean, Fiat bought Ferrari not the other way around.

To me, a message from this experience to Ares is not only does the project have 1000+ backers,
it has 1000+ SERIOUS backers.

pward
04-14-2013, 07:09
I agree. At 1000 backers, the Lieutenant pledge is an excellent level for people that want a full set of items to start their adventures. I am going to pump my pledge up $20 for a second mat. From what everyone who tried the prototypes say, two mats will be a must for most average scenarios and combat sessions.

Yes, I intend to pick up an extra mat as well (forgot to mention that above). I think all of these little extra things are going to be essential and I couldn't afford them at the Captains level... this way I'm just delaying getting some of the first wave ships, but from what I have seen and read, I'm sure some of the on-line retailers will sell these at the KS price (or perhaps even a little cheaper). Now if the stretch goal DOES reach the 275,000, I'll have to rethink this abit because the chit bags will be free for captains, but thats a long ways to go in just two days. The extra terrain packs for the captains just don't interest me (I wish they would just make it so many $$$ in options and let the captain choose, at 1,000 backers), a set up like that would truly peak my interest and tempt me boosting up my pledge to captain.

Berthier
04-14-2013, 07:33
Glad to help such a distinguished site member!

EB Mate now available...

thanks again Bruce (not Richard!) got over excited :embarass:

Diamondback
04-14-2013, 08:09
To me, a message from this experience to Ares is not only does the project have 1000+ backers,
it has 1000+ SERIOUS backers.
Damn serious... but in my case, this kind of All In is a once-a-decade thing.

tmon
04-14-2013, 08:16
I'm at Captain level now and plan on buying 5 mats. Crazy huh the thing is if the club I'm in really likes it we can have 10 players in a game and they like complications which mean a fair amount of coastline. So since i've never run a game SOG looks like one I can handle.

Cmmdre
04-14-2013, 08:17
Damn serious... but in my case, this kind of All In is a once-a-decade thing.

Aye, That we are.

Gaz67
04-14-2013, 08:20
this kind of All In is a once-a-decade thing.

Same with me, pretty much all of this years potential spare cash is tied up in SoGN.

SWMBO is unusually understanding, call me paranoid but I'm slightly worried about this.....

Cmmdre
04-14-2013, 08:23
Same with me, pretty much all of this years potential spare cash is tied up in SoGN.

SWMBO is unusually understanding, call me paranoid but I'm slightly worried about this.....

Aren't we all. The Ares delivery date on product falls after my birthday which will help ease the ships into port. The fact that they will be coming has not yet been discussed. Timing is everything. :takecover:

GreenLaborMike
04-14-2013, 09:18
Three EB Mate slots open. I can only assume all of them have move up to Lieutenant or Captain, but the fact that there are three open slots is interesting. If only those at the regular Mate level bothered to check, they could take that $10 and...buy more stuff! :medal:

The Barrelman
04-14-2013, 10:26
I'm at Captain level now and plan on buying 5 mats. Crazy huh the thing is if the club I'm in really likes it we can have 10 players in a game and they like complications which mean a fair amount of coastline. So since i've never run a game SOG looks like one I can handle.

6 Mats total? That's going to be a huge play area.

:rum:

Gaz67
04-14-2013, 10:37
I'm at Captain level now and plan on buying 5 mats.

Wow...but wouldn't 5 gallons of blue paint be cheaper?

Cmmdre
04-14-2013, 12:48
6 Mats total? That's going to be a huge play area.

Or a possible shower curtain. Egads man, I'm with Gaz and Ted that's a huge play area Tom. Or possibly you could have a number of different games running. :erk:

tmon
04-14-2013, 12:50
I don't think the police station meeting room needs blue tables. At last nights meeting we had 3 games going on a Napoleonic's game using 3 6" meeting tables, a sf game using 2 and a WW2 game using 2 tables.

Wow...but wouldn't 5 gallons of blue paint be cheaper?

Cmmdre
04-14-2013, 12:52
I don't think the police station meeting room needs blue tables. At last nights meeting we had 3 games going on a Napoleonic's game using 3 6" meeting tables, a sf game using 2 and a WW2 game using 2 tables.

That sounds like a lot of fun. :envy:

csadn
04-14-2013, 14:42

I look forward to kicking your ass on a gaming table at Libertycon one of these years. >;)

Diamondback
04-14-2013, 16:17
At 3:15PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Time Left
46 hours

A/B/E Chit Bags
$11K

C/D Chit Bags
$36K

Capt's get extra Ruler

[/QUOTE]

GreenLaborMike
04-14-2013, 16:39
This is the best day, financially, since march 9. Over $8k and counting.

Diamondback
04-14-2013, 17:06
At 4:00PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Time Left
45 hours

A/B/E Chit Bags
$11K

C/D Chit Bags
$36K

Capt's get extra Ruler

Looks like the surge is on... we can hope.

GreenLaborMike
04-14-2013, 18:11
1031 now. 1100 is not out of the question, but it would require 1.5 backers per hour over the next two days. That might be tough. We'll see. $250k looks very likely now. $275k? That is asking a bit much, I think.

Diamondback
04-14-2013, 19:56
At 7PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Time Left
43 hours

A/B/E Chit Bags
$10K

C/D Chit Bags
$35K

Capt's get extra Ruler

Picking up speed on backers, if not pledges...

GreenLaborMike
04-14-2013, 20:03
Picking up speed on backers, if not pledges...

FWIW, this is the fourth best day for new backers so far (36), and the sixth best for money ($10k+).

sc00t0
04-14-2013, 20:20
Can't quite swing the promotion from Lt. to Captain...but I did manage to tack on the Victory and an additional ruler/attitude indicator.
It'll be interesting to see how far this will go in the last hours...and how much additional will be added when all is said and done after the survey is completed.

Then we can all raise our "ales of glory" in a hearty toast! :drinks:

7eat51
04-14-2013, 20:33
I didn't think chit bags were possible. I might be proven wrong. $10k in less than 2 days? But given they are the last 2?

Diamondback
04-14-2013, 21:17
At 8:15PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Time Left
42 hours

A/B/E Chit Bags
$9K

C/D Chit Bags
$34K

Capt's get extra Ruler

Gettin' there...

Diamondback
04-14-2013, 22:59
10PM Pacific, last update tonight:

Goal
To Go

Time Left
40 hours

A/B/E Chit Bags
$8K

C/D Chit Bags
$33K

Capt's get extra Ruler

And until I'm back up in no sooner than 12 hours, updating is somebody else's problem...

Sea Gull
04-15-2013, 01:46
EB Captain is still available. These tings were like gold dust not so long ago.

Beowulf03809
04-15-2013, 07:29
Someone snatched up the EB Captain...good thing too. I can only face so much temptation. :wink:

Just over 5k for Captains and above to get the 3-set bags. $30k for Lt to see them. With 30 hours still left that's a possibility. I'm going to try not to keep refreshing KS watching though. Right now I'm just realizing that by tomorrow at this point I need to be making final decisions on any last minute adjustments. I have already added a little more to my total but need to commit to what I want that to go to and adjust upward if needed. More Wave 1 ships now...or pre-buy on Constitution / Victory...or another Mat...or...or...I can't stand the pressure!!!!

Cmmdre
04-15-2013, 07:42
Tough choices Lawrence. Deadlines are nice in that you MUST act. I've committed extra funds to goodies but I have to stop before I'm sunk. There is only so much you can load on before going under. :surrender:

Beowulf03809
04-15-2013, 07:53
Tough choices Lawrence. Deadlines are nice in that you MUST act. I've committed extra funds to goodies but I have to stop before I'm sunk. There is only so much you can load on before going under. :surrender:

Let us learn from the lesson of Capitana Jesus Maria de la Limpia Concepcion which, overloaded with too much silver and contraband, struck reef and took her burden, and much of her crew, beneath the waves.

Sea Gull
04-15-2013, 08:11
Let us learn from the lesson of Capitana Jesus Maria de la Limpia Concepcion which, overloaded with too much silver and contraband, struck reef and took her burden, and much of her crew, beneath the waves.

Yep. But what a valuable wreck she was !! :happy:

Beowulf03809
04-15-2013, 08:15
Burdened with too much treasure...oh, to have that kind of concern in life...

OmegaLazarus
04-15-2013, 08:46
Yesterday I learned about rocks and glass houses when I commented to SWMBO :girlie: that, with the cost of the raised bed, trellises, mulch etc., her garden wasn't cost effective. :girlieangry: She responded with a simple question of how much the Cpt pledge cost and how much I had added for 'necessary' extras (are there any other kind!?). I reminded her that I got an early bird discount, but then realized the correct approach and said that I couldn't wait to eat home grown squash.

Learn from my missteps gentlemen.

DeRuyter
04-15-2013, 09:01
With all the extra I am buying I am up to the Captain level anyway!!

EB LT + Victory/Constitution + Mat + extra rulers + extra counters + 3-4 first wave ships. The LT option does give me the opportunity to choose the Wave 1 ships I want now with the accessories.

Missus doesn't know yet, but then again she's getting new patio furniture and just got a new car, so I may be good! :thumbsup: Oh and my birthday is in August as well!

Eric

The Royal Hajj
04-15-2013, 10:23
Yesterday I learned about rocks and glass houses when I commented to SWMBO :girlie: that, with the cost of the raised bed, trellises, mulch etc., her garden wasn't cost effective. :girlieangry: She responded with a simple question of how much the Cpt pledge cost and how much I had added for 'necessary' extras (are there any other kind!?). I reminded her that I got an early bird discount, but then realized the correct approach and said that I couldn't wait to eat home grown squash.

Learn from my missteps gentlemen.

That's why women are not allowed on board... their bad luck you know!

GreenLaborMike
04-15-2013, 12:26
With all due respect, I thought I'd try my hand at this...

11:30 AM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Time Left
26 hours

A/B/E Chit Bags
$5K

C/D Chit Bags
$30K

Capt's get extra Ruler

Diamondback
04-15-2013, 14:14
Ya did good, Mike.

At 1:15PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Time Left
24 hours

A/B/E Chit Bags
$4K

C/D Chit Bags
$29K

Capt's get extra Ruler

Here's hoping for a blowout rivaling if not beating yesterday...

7eat51
04-15-2013, 14:20
That's why women are not allowed on board... their bad luck you know!

Please duck. The Anchorage and Aerodrome would not be the same without you.

Diamondback
04-15-2013, 15:03
*hands Zoe aka Pirate Queen a tomato*

At 2PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Time Left
24 hours

A/B/E Chit Bags
$3K

C/D Chit Bags
$28K

Capt's get extra Ruler

KT range $251K-269K, current trend $252K

Diamondback
04-15-2013, 16:12
At 3PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Time Left
23 hours

A/B/E Chit Bags
$2500

C/D Chit Bags
$28K

Capt's get extra Ruler

KT current trend $253K, no point messing with cones anymore--that won't get any more updates from them before close probably--and after logoff tonight I'm not sure if I'LL be back online before closing.

Diamondback
04-15-2013, 16:50
At 3:45PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Time Left
22 hours

A/B/E Chit Bags
$1700

C/D Chit Bags
$27K

Capt's get extra Ruler

KT current trend $254K. Looks like we're getting about four new backers every hour... barring significant spike, that implies a trend of 88 more backers, 40 short of the final announced goal line. Not to deny credit or demean anyone, even if NONE of these goals get met we've still done a hell of a job getting this thing launched! Everybody, give yourselves a pat on the back... but don't break any arms doing it, as the real hard work begins tomorrow--creating input to help guide them on future sculpts and reprints...

Nightmoss
04-15-2013, 17:49
I just posted a link to the SoG KS on the Leviathan's website. I was going to do that earlier, but got busy with other stuff. Then the advanced rules review by Blaine Pardoe reminded me to do so (Blaine has written some great fiction for the Leviathan's game).

Hopefully this will give SoG a nice little push at the end (even as it's doing quite well as is).

Diamondback
04-15-2013, 17:52
Good on ya, Nightmoss--hopefully that'll help offset the one backer and $300 we just lost in the last hour.

daledavis67
04-15-2013, 18:07
I just up my pledge by almost $100. So I will be adding 4 additional KS exclusive ships and 2 additional mats:salute:

Nightmoss
04-15-2013, 18:15
I just up my pledge by almost $100. So I will be adding 4 additional KS exclusive ships and 2 additional mats:salute:

Grats Dale!

Diamondback
04-15-2013, 19:52
At 6:45PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Time Left
19 hours

A/B/E Chit Bags
$1500

C/D Chit Bags
$27K

Capt's get extra Ruler

Diamondback
04-15-2013, 20:45
At 7:45PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Time Left
18 hours

A/B/E Chit Bags
$429 FOUR HUNDRED TWENTY-NINE

C/D Chit Bags
$25K

Capt's get extra Ruler

Diamondback
04-15-2013, 21:24
At 8:15PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Time Left
17 hours

A/B/E Chit Bags
MET

C/D Chit Bags
$24K

Capt's get extra Ruler

Will delete A/B/E Bags next update... IF they're still met.

Diamondback
04-15-2013, 22:01
At 9PM Pacific:

Goal
To Go

Time Left
17 hours

C/D Chit Bags
$23K

Capt's get extra Ruler

So far so good... more would be better, but as long as we don't sink under 250 all is well. :)

Diamondback
04-15-2013, 22:32
ALL IN!

At 9:30PM Pacific with my last reserves committed:

Goal
To Go

Time Left
16 hours

C/D Chit Bags
$23K

Capt's get extra Ruler

And now, all I have left to add is pocket change--and my last update for the night, possibly the campaign, is in fifteen minutes.

Diamondback
04-15-2013, 22:45
Final update for the night: No change. Best of luck to the overnight shift...

Gaz67
04-16-2013, 02:00
About 3 hours since last update so here is the latest news:-

Goal
To Go

Time Left
12 hours

C/D Chit Bags
$19K

Capt's get extra Ruler

Gaz67
04-16-2013, 03:07
Goal
To Go

Time Left
11 hours

C/D Chit Bags
$19K

MET

Capt's get extra Ruler

Berthier
04-16-2013, 04:32
No idea what time it is anywhere but they have 1101 backers and $257K:drinks:

Sea Gull
04-16-2013, 04:40
No idea what time it is anywhere but they have 1101 backers and $257K:drinks:

That's at 11:30 GMT.

Gaz67
04-16-2013, 05:05
Goal
To Go

Time Left
9 hours

C/D Chit Bags
$18K

Capt's get extra Ruler

My opinion is that we've hit the ceiling, give or take, I can't see us hitting any more targets. (Unless Diamondback is bluffing with his "ALL IN!" and pledges another £20K)

Gaz67
04-16-2013, 06:03
Goal
To Go

Time Left
8 hours

C/D Chit Bags
$16K

Capt's get extra Ruler

The Barrelman
04-16-2013, 06:57
A few EB slots are open. I think a EB Lieutenant might open too. Don't know if I can stay in the KS.

Gaz67
04-16-2013, 07:01
Goal
To Go

Time Left
7 hours

C/D Chit Bags
$14K

Capt's get extra Ruler

That's me for now, someone else can pick up Diamondback's baton.

2 EB mate and 1 EB Commodore.

Cmmdre
04-16-2013, 07:37
A few EB slots are open. I think a EB Lieutenant might open too. Don't know if I can stay in the KS.

That sounds unfortunate Ted. I know how it goes. The wife's car blew an engine last week and I had to make some tough choices. "You've got two legs, walk there. My cash is all tied up in KS!" :girlieangry: She didn't like the choice.

Cmmdre
04-16-2013, 07:48
2 EB Mate 1 EB Captain 1 EB Commodore open.

Beowulf03809
04-16-2013, 07:50
This is my first time with KS so if anyone can confirm or deny the following understandings I'd appreciate it.

So when things close out in a few hours, Ares is going to contact us for final pledge amounts (minimum of what we pledged via KS but we can increase) and confirmation of what extras we wanted. We'll have a short window to make final upward adjustments and lock into any extras, then they process the charges. Then we wait for sometime around Aug/Sep for confirmation of shipping dates?

Cmmdre
04-16-2013, 07:54
I'm sure shortly after KS ends Ares will be...:drinks::singin::beer::singin::rum::singin::g&t::singin::drinks::singin::cannonboom: Then after they sober up they'll contact us. :happy:

Berthier
04-16-2013, 07:57
That sounds unfortunate Ted. I know how it goes. The wife's car blew an engine last week and I had to make some tough choices. "You've got two legs, walk there. My cash is all tied up in KS!" :girlieangry: She didn't like the choice.

Probably a bit of buyers remorse sets in, feel they might have over committed weeks ago and have a last chance to pull out. It does offer up chances to late adopters to upgrade to early birds.... How weird is that?

Cmmdre
04-16-2013, 07:59
Crazy, huh? I'm all in at this point. Nothing is going to deter me from my commitment. :salute:

OmegaLazarus
04-16-2013, 08:05
This is my first time with KS so if anyone can confirm or deny the following understandings I'd appreciate it.

So when things close out in a few hours, Ares is going to contact us for final pledge amounts (minimum of what we pledged via KS but we can increase) and confirmation of what extras we wanted. We'll have a short window to make final upward adjustments and lock into any extras, then they process the charges. Then we wait for sometime around Aug/Sep for confirmation of shipping dates?

You might contact Ares directly about this to be safe since money is involved. As far as I know, the amount is charged when the KS closes. I think additional amounts are posted as a separate charge.

As far as what to put your money toward, I contacted Ares about that. Here is the exchange.

FROM ME - "I am currently pledged at EB captain with an additional $25 pledged... As far as the other money goes, I am not yet sure what I want for it."

Full unedited response - "Dear Omegalazarus (!)
ok, you can revise your selection until we send out the survey.
Thanks for your support!"

I hope that helps.

OmegaLazarus
04-16-2013, 08:09

No, no, no. You have to give your partner choices so they are empowered. I.E. - You can either walk there, or run there. Extra points if you suggest running for them to shed a few pounds. Pics or it didn't happen.

tmon
04-16-2013, 08:31
They will contact you for confirmation of your KS extra choices but if you want to spend more it doesn't go through KS so doesn't count towards extra awards. You will have to pay the extra through Paypal I believe.

Beowulf03809
04-16-2013, 08:33
Thanks for all the clarifications!

Coog
04-16-2013, 08:43
Probably a bit of buyers remorse sets in, feel they might have over committed weeks ago and have a last chance to pull out. It does offer up chances to late adopters to upgrade to early birds.... How weird is that?

It's easy to get carried away in Kickstarter. You have to go into it set on how much money you want to spend, giving yourself a little room to get some extras, and a good idea what you really need to play the game.

Sea Gull
04-16-2013, 08:54
I just added a second game mat + postage to my pledge. May as well since I'll have all those ships to play with in a few da ... err ... months.

Maybe some people are upgrading to Worldwide. I also noticed that an EB Commodore had opened up. Also a chance for someone at the non-EB level to get in on the EB and save a few bucks.

DeRuyter
04-16-2013, 09:04
I just added a second game mat + postage to my pledge. May as well since I'll have all those ships to play with in a few da ... err ... months.

Maybe some people are upgrading to Worldwide. I also noticed that an EB Commodore had opened up. Also a chance for someone at the non-EB level to get in on the EB and save a few bucks.

The EB Captains just don't last missed it by minutes!:cry:

Sea Gull - If the game ships before the end of August, then I'll stop by for a game! Although the wife may not like it - "you want to game on holiday" ? :girlieangry:

Eric

GrouperKicker
04-16-2013, 09:15
They will contact you for confirmation of your KS extra choices but if you want to spend more it doesn't go through KS so doesn't count towards extra awards. You will have to pay the extra through Paypal I believe.

Per a response on the KS Comment page, any extra amount is added via Paypal. I was glad to see that you can also increase your pledge level (i.e. bump me from mate to lt.) via the post-KS survey as well. I've got $$ tied in in Paypal that I wanted to use, but couldn't do so via the initial pledge on Amazon - not the best solution for the overall KS, I know, but it does allow me to get the freebies at a higher level.

GreenLaborMike
04-16-2013, 09:17
Goal
To Go

Time Left
5 hours

C/D Chit Bags
$11K

Capt's get extra Ruler

This is now our 3rd best day for new Backers, and 5th best day for money. And we're note done yet...

Still 3 EB Mates and an EB Commodore open. I do believe that we might reach the C/D chit bags after all.

GrouperKicker
04-16-2013, 09:46
Edited: Mistaken double post

Gunner
04-16-2013, 09:56
There's an EB Captain open right now.

Never mind, he's gone. A lot of sharks in the water now.

Beowulf03809
04-16-2013, 09:59
I too have money on PayPal and some gift cards that I really wished I could directly apply here, but sadly KS/AmazonPayment doesn't allow that yet. So I think I'm just going to leave my KS pledge locked in at Lt and see what I can do about some extras in the post-KS change. Especially if I can use PayPal.