PDA

View Full Version : Superbe 18th-19th century naval dioramas

Volunteer
03-03-2013, 16:11
7eat51: "I think if I ever want to do an Age-of-Sail model, I will work on a traditional plastic, larger-scale kit; but I think that would be far way off into the future."

Well Eric here is your inspiration for larger scale models. This gentleman, Mr. Curro from Spain, is an absolute master. I have been following his superbe 18th-19th century naval dioramas for a little over a year now. Truly inspiring. Here's a link to his site and a few photos from his work. (All in Spanish so you have to use the Google translator.)

http://curro-blogdecurro.blogspot.com.ar/

7eat51
03-03-2013, 20:20
Wow!

Thanks Vol. I see why you have been following him.

Interesting landing party picture given our recent conversation on shore scenarios.

Berthier
03-03-2013, 20:31
Wow that Trafalgar diorama at 1/50 is impressive.

The diorama of Nelson's attack at Tenerife holds a special interest for me as this was where Nelson received his eye injury that everntually led to blindness in that eye. I wrote an article for the 1805 Club Chronicle (Duldig, Daniel,Nelson a malingerer? 1998 :74–79) to refute a claim by a medical doctor in the British press that Nelson was "malingering" when he tried to claim from the Admiralty for loss of sight. As an Optometrist I felt the article was incredibly biased and ill informed and oriiginal wrote the repsonse for the Australian Napoleonic Society (now defunct) magazine of which I was Editor at the time. The 1805 Society heard of the article and wished to re-print it, thus starting me on my road to fame and glory. Unfortunately the road didn't seem to progress from there..:D

7eat51
03-03-2013, 20:39
Wow that Trafalgar diorama at 1/50 is impressive.

The diorama of Nelson's attack at Tenerife holds a special interest for me as this was where Nelson received his eye injury that everntually led to blindness in that eye. I wrote an article for the 1805 Club Chronicle (Duldig, Daniel,Nelson a malingerer? 1998 :74–79) to refute a claim by a medical doctor in the British press that Nelson was "malingering" when he tried to claim from the Admiralty for loss of sight. As an Optometrist I felt the article was incredibly biased and ill informed and oriiginal wrote the repsonse for the Australian Napoleonic Society (now defunct) magazine of which I was Editor at the time. The 1805 Society heard of the article and wished to re-print it, thus starting me on my road to fame and glory. Unfortunately the road didn't seem to progress from there..:D

Any chance of us being able to read the article?

Berthier
03-03-2013, 21:53
Hi Eric, I have it in hardcopy but the computer file was lost on an old PC, so worst case would be I have to scan it ..I'll see first if it is downloadable from the 1805club.org site which is down at the moment.

Volunteer
03-03-2013, 23:04
Wow!

Thanks Vol. I see why you have been following him.

Interesting landing party picture given our recent conversation on shore scenarios.

Exactly what I was thinking Eric!

I'm glad everyone enjoyed this. Mr. Curro truly is amazing. I hope you will pull up his site to view the rest of his work.

Jack Aubrey
03-03-2013, 23:19
Absolute great, perfect work, Wahnsinn..(we say i.G.)..

Berthier
03-04-2013, 00:34
OK now I have confirmation of my fast approaching senility...I checked the article I wrote about Nelson and he was injured at Calvi in Corsica in 1794, not Tenerife...I tell you the lights are going out!!

Anyway here is a quick link to an excerpt of the original offending piece in GB http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1241&dat=19980511&id=CI5TAAAAIBAJ&sjid=L4YDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6489,489286

I'm still looking for the full original article and my reply to it.

7eat51
03-04-2013, 05:35
Hi Eric, I have it in hardcopy but the computer file was lost on an old PC, so worst case would be I have to scan it ..I'll see first if it is downloadable from the 1805club.org site which is down at the moment.

Thank you. The nature of history is fascinating. Lately, I have been posting on the event of the day. As I look at articles, I often find discrepancies. I wish I had more time to research them, but alas life calls. It is interesting, though, to read different first-hand or near first-hand accounts of the same action that present differences, and to think through why such differences exist. Do people really see different things based on mental predispositions, or are they recounting things differently deliberately for given purposes?

Sorry about the file loss. I, too, have lost many things in my early computer days. I learned some hard lessons about backing things up. Thank God for flash drives.

Exactly what I was thinking Eric!

I'm glad everyone enjoyed this. Mr. Curro truly is amazing. I hope you will pull up his site to view the rest of his work.

The pictures on the website are great. Not having gone through a translation program yet, I wonder where he puts his work? The scale of some of the projects seems a bit large. Yeah, Vol, shore scenarios are definitely in my mind now. Given the scale of ships we'll be using, I imagine we'll have to use some type of chit to represent a squad of men. Thinking through the mechanics will be interesting and enjoyable.

OK now I have confirmation of my fast approaching senility...I checked the article I wrote about Nelson and he was injured at Calvi in Corsica in 1794, not Tenerife...I tell you the lights are going out!!

Anyway here is a quick link to an excerpt of the original offending piece in GB http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1241&dat=19980511&id=CI5TAAAAIBAJ&sjid=L4YDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6489,489286

I'm still looking for the full original article and my reply to it.

I think you're in good company about the memory. There are days I feel like my memory is on a dimmer switch and someone is turning it down as I speak.

Thanks for the link. I hope the original request does not cause too much trouble.

Volunteer
03-04-2013, 13:57
The pictures on the website are great. Not having gone through a translation program yet, I wonder where he puts his work? The scale of some of the projects seems a bit large. Yeah, Vol, shore scenarios are definitely in my mind now. Given the scale of ships we'll be using, I imagine we'll have to use some type of chit to represent a squad of men. Thinking through the mechanics will be interesting and enjoyable.

Rod Langton has different types of ship boats with crews: Gunboat, Launch, Pinnace, etc. Also Irregular Miniatures has 2MM troops that are a good size match for 1:1200, although their 2MM fortifications and buildings are too small. 3MM buildings are better, and I would go with Langton buildings anyway.

I haven't painted any of the 2MM wagons, artillery, limbers, or troops I have yet. They are pretty daunting for my failing eysight. Maybe with the addition of the goggles we were talking about in the other thread......?

7eat51
03-04-2013, 18:14
Rod Langton has different types of ship boats with crews: Gunboat, Launch, Pinnace, etc. Also Irregular Miniatures has 2MM troops that are a good size match for 1:1200, although their 2MM fortifications and buildings are too small. 3MM buildings are better, and I would go with Langton buildings anyway.

I haven't painted any of the 2MM wagons, artillery, limbers, or troops I have yet. They are pretty daunting for my failing eysight. Maybe with the addition of the goggles we were talking about in the other thread......?

2mm? I think I would need a telescope, not goggles. And maybe a different set of hands.

Do you think these smaller items would work ok with the SOG game given the 1:1000 scale? I cannot imagine Ares producing much the first year or two beyond ships. With our conversation on shore scenarios whetting my appetite, I don't know how long I could wait until such a release would come from Ares.

Volunteer
03-04-2013, 19:42
I'm going to have to see one of the ships to know for sure. Maybe 3MM would work or maybe even 6MM wouldn't be too big. Easier to see and paint too I bet.

Comte de Brueys
03-05-2013, 00:03
Great diorama pictures!

Thank you for sharing.

:eek:

Sea Gull
03-05-2013, 03:33
I'm going to have to see one of the ships to know for sure. Maybe 3MM would work or maybe even 6MM wouldn't be too big. Easier to see and paint too I bet.

Agree with needing to physicaly see one of the ships in order to get a good idea of which scale would be more suitable for shore installations etc. I would imagine 6mm would give a nice visual effect, and that is really what I would be looking at. Does this shore installation look the part, does it look right?

Volunteer
03-05-2013, 07:45
Agree with needing to physicaly see one of the ships in order to get a good idea of which scale would be more suitable for shore installations etc. I would imagine 6mm would give a nice visual effect, and that is really what I would be looking at. Does this shore installation look the part, does it look right?

My thoughts exactly.

Green flash
03-11-2013, 15:17
Fantastic work,truley a labor of love.thank you for sharing this.

Devsdoc
04-13-2013, 23:16
Vol,
Did you get your 2mm figs?
be safe
rory

Volunteer
04-13-2013, 23:46
Vol,
Did you get your 2mm figs?
be safe
rory

Yes I got them Rory, but haven't even tried to paint them yet, they are sooooo small. They took so long to receive that I moved on to the ships again. I haven't taken the time to go back and add to the port. After seeing your port I don't think anything I can do will improve mine. I finished the two Dutch 50's. Check them out on my website.

Regards,
Vol

Cmmdre
04-14-2013, 00:13
:thumbsup: Thank you for posting those awesome images. So good it makes me cry. :cry: I only wish I could produce such fine dioramas. :envy:

Gunner
04-23-2013, 23:38
Where did you learn to make the sea look so good. And would you give lessons?

7eat51: "I think if I ever want to do an Age-of-Sail model, I will work on a traditional plastic, larger-scale kit; but I think that would be far way off into the future."

Well Eric here is your inspiration for larger scale models. This gentleman, Mr. Curro from Spain, is an absolute master. I have been following his superbe 18th-19th century naval dioramas for a little over a year now. Truly inspiring. Here's a link to his site and a few photos from his work. (All in Spanish so you have to use the Google translator.)

http://curro-blogdecurro.blogspot.com.ar/

Volunteer
04-24-2013, 11:47
Where did you learn to make the sea look so good. And would you give lessons?

I guess.you will have to write Mr Curio and ask him. He might be willing.