ISBN:
978-087021955
Category:
Reference
Format:
Hardback
Summary:
The full title is
Seamanship in the age of Sail: An Account of the Shiphandling of the Sailing Man-of-War 1600-1860, Based on Contemporary Sources

Fascinating book on the down and dirty of how to sail and work a ship in the age of sail. Although technical in places there are numerous drawings to explain what is going on.

There is a lot to absorb here, I particularly enjoyed the explanation of how you work a large ship up a narrow navigable river as well as dealing with running aground and other naval calamities. Lots of explanations of archaic naval terms as well..if nothing else your scrabble skills will improve ; )

Bligh
01-21-2016, 06:11
I have just completed reading this book, if one can actually complete this book. Thanks to Dave Manley supplying me with a copy along with some other present which shall remain nameless, I am now more knowledgeable about things nautical, whilst at the same time realizing how little I really understand.
This really is the bible on seamanship, and well worth dipping into on a regular basis.
Rob.

DeRuyter
06-07-2016, 13:21
Bumping this thread because this once hard to get an expensive book has been reprinted and is available on Amazon (US) for $38 !!

http://www.amazon.com/Seamanship-Age-Sail-Man-War/dp/0870219553/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cp_10?ie=UTF8&dpID=51mKeRZZaiL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR112%2C135_&refRID=1ZKKEFS5TWVF30YXJTWK