PDA

View Full Version : Ships in the Desert

RichardPF
02-23-2013, 23:40
Hello,
I have just come aboard after being a lurker for a while. I live in the Prescott Arizona area and have been a WoW/WoG player/miniature collector for a while. When the Kickstarter project for SoG was announced I decided it was time to step out of the shadows. I am a software developer for a company in Scottsdale AZ (100 miles away from where I live) and an Instructor at Yavapai Community College in Prescott (Video Game Development and 3D Modeling and Animation - C#, Unity, Maya). I just wanted to check in and say hello.

The Royal Hajj
02-24-2013, 00:08
Welcome aboard Richard. There is a pretty active Wings of Glory (same style of game, but in the air) in your area. A lot of them will be putting on their sea going gigs for this game as well. So I think you will have plenty of players around.

You ever do any 3D modeling/rendering of sailing ships??

RichardPF
02-24-2013, 00:18
Welcome aboard Richard. There is a pretty active Wings of Glory (same style of game, but in the air) in your area. A lot of them will be putting on their sea going gigs for this game as well. So I think you will have plenty of players around.

You ever do any 3D modeling/rendering of sailing ships??

As a matter of fact I have. I have created quite a few virtual ships (and WWI aircraft as well). My preference tends to run towards Baltimore Clippers but I have also modeled some larger more heavily armed vessels. I am also expecting delivery of a 3D printer on Tuesday so my creations will not be completely virtual much longer!

Coog
02-24-2013, 00:22
Welcome to the Anchorage Bruce! I'm looking forward to seeing some of your 3D creations.

7eat51
02-24-2013, 00:23
Welcome from central Illinois, Bruce.

The Royal Hajj
02-24-2013, 00:36
Very cool. Do you do mostly model/miniature type 3D stuff, or do you do 3D artwork as well? What type of 3D printer are you getting? I did extensive research on them this past year but finally decided to wait until a single printer had the color and surface texture/resolution that I wanted.

RichardPF
02-24-2013, 02:03
The printer I am getting is a 3D Systems Cube it was available semi immediately. I had actually wanted a Makerbot Replicator 2X, but the delivery time was 2 months plus so I decided to get the Cube so I could get my feet wet with 3D printing right away and then fire for effect and purchase a better unit later when I had taken a few steps up the learning curve. 3D Systems has a serious range of 3D printers including professional/commercial lines so I can move upscale with them pretty far if finances allow. Of course, Moore's Law et al is reeling the prices in every day as well so maybe we will meet somewhere in the middle. The low end printer Z axis resolution is in the .1 to .2 mm range (index card thickness or so). X and Y resolution is better but certainly not smooth finish quality.

Long ago in a lifetime far away my 3D work was for projects like music videos. Recently it has been more along the lines of making assets for video games. This is all pretty low resolution, low polygon count stuff. I also teach 3 levels of Maya 3D modeling and animation classes at Yavapai Community College in Prescott so some of the work I have done recently has been creating objects that are suitable for student example projects. I also build models for the projects that are used in the Video Game Development classes that I have created at the college. While it is more in line with the interests of the WoW/WoG side of the Ares world, here is a link to the online version of the project that I am working on for a student build tutorial for a new course that will be added for the fall semester:

http://www.math-prof.com/BlueMax/BlueMax.html

(math-prof is the self help math website that I created a few years ago from materials I created in another life as a math teacher. I just parked this project there. I am not planning on doing anything commercial with the project).

Jack Aubrey
02-25-2013, 02:57
Welcome, from Wuppertal, Germany ;)

7eat51
02-25-2013, 20:40
I also build models for the projects that are used in the Video Game Development classes that I have created at the college. While it is more in line with the interests of the WoW/WoG side of the Ares world, here is a link to the online version of the project that I am working on for a student build tutorial for a new course that will be added for the fall semester

Well so much for my productivity the next few days.

Seriously, great stuff.

Volunteer
02-25-2013, 22:59
Welcome RichardPF, from Nine Mile Falls, Wa.

csadn
02-26-2013, 16:29
http://www.thegoonshow.net/scripts_show.asp?title=s07e01_the_nasty_affair_at_the_burami_oasis

So, you see, there's precedent for Ships In The Desert.

Seagoon: Yes -- I erected one in an oasis.

Oh, so you were part of a precedential erection?

Bloodnok: You filthy swine!

Gunner
02-28-2013, 20:10
Welcome from Maricopa, Arizona, Bruce.

If you need help digging that canal to the Pacific ocean, give me a call.

Comte de Brueys
03-05-2013, 00:01
Bonjour Bruce.

Welcome on board.

Cmmdre
03-30-2013, 19:05
Welcome aboard.