PDA

View Full Version : What were the Correct Ensigns for the Royal Navy?

Volunteer
02-16-2013, 15:38
In 1707, new ensigns were established for the Royal Navy. All ships were ordered to fly the Union Flag as a jack and each squadron was given its own ensign displaying the First Union Flag in the canton. (In 1801 the diagonal red Cross of St. Patrick was added to the Union Flag.) These Red, Blue and White ensigns were used until 1864. In that year, the Union Jack and the White Ensign were reserved for the Royal Navy, the Blue Ensign was reserved for the use of qualified Royal Naval Reserve officers in command of merchant ships, and the Red Ensign became the British merchant ensign.

What about frigates and sloops on solitary cruises that weren't attached to squadrons? What flag would they fly at the stern? I know most wouldn't have anything flying until right before engaging, but since most of my ships are at quarters I want to show colors.

7eat51
02-18-2013, 14:06
Vol, I can't help but think you would make a good history teacher. Your posts are always informative. Thanks.

Volunteer
02-20-2013, 19:18
Hello out there! Calling all fighting sail era buffs! Can anyone answer the question? What about frigates and sloops on solitary cruises? What flag would they fly at the stern? If they are under Admiralty orders, but not attached to a specific squadron, what commission pennant? A definitive answer would be greatly appreciated.

I found something. Google Books http://books.google.com/books?id=_sKZ3rZK4dQC&pg=RA1-PA96&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false All You Wanted To Know About 18th Century Royal Navy By Rex Hickox on page 96 has a picture of four commission pendants. There are the three colored pendands; red, white and blue; and a fourth called a common commission pendant described as follows: "A 'common pennant'(one without a squadron's color) had the Cross of St. George at the hoist and the rest striped in red, white and blue. Pennants were the mark of a warship and flew all the time unless struck on the hoisting of a command flag." I guess this answers a couple of my questions. I wish I could copy the picture here but you can't do that with Google books. You can go to the link though and scroll to page 96 to see it.