PDA

View Full Version : board size discussion from 'what models do you own thread'

RedLeif
02-14-2013, 06:10
Hi
After composing the reply below to a comment on the 'what ship models do you own?' thread, I decided not to post it there.
So here is my reply to "what size board do you think I might need for SOG?" and the related topic of ship/model size.

"As to board/surface size, I've seen really big tables at conventions (I've only attended Historicon in PA and Enfilade in WA) in the 6 x 12 foot (2m x 4m) range but I usually play my frigate actions on a 4' x 6' or 4' by 8' table.

I can not speak to the size of table needed for Sails of Glory as it is still vaporware. But if the game uses small to average sized playing cards as a 'movement' device (as the WOW game did) rather than rulers and 2 to 4 inch (5 to 10 cm) models, I would imagine that the game will be well suited to common sized (household sized) tables and smaller actions. I'm very curious to see what the designers decided upon. One can always "scroll the table" by moving all models n inches an agreed upon direction opposite the general direction of travel and keeping them all relative to one another.

The challenge of sailing ships is the strength of the wind and the direction of travel relative to the direction of wind. If I 'plan' a single card length of forward travel, it should probably go longer if I'm running with the wind and shorter if close reaching. I'm very curious to see how the designers' movement model works, if it is too simple I will likely not play the game much. If it is too complex I won't find many other players.

Sorry, I'm digressing into game mechanics on the 'what ship models do you have?' thread. But this is far more important to me than the size of the models. Big models usually need bigger tables, fewer models, and/or closer actions. But a game with unsatisfactory mechanics is still unpleasant no matter how big or small it is."

Leif

7eat51
02-14-2013, 08:29
Thank you for your thoughtful response. If you are correct about SoG, then a 4x8 table should definitely be sufficient I think; and if a normal-sized dining table works, the game would be good for travel. At present, a 4x8 table is well within the bounds of space I have. I wonder if larger tables become difficult in terms of moving the minis - no personal experience yet. This year, my wife and I plan on attending a few conventions. I am hoping to see different naval mini games, and how they handle space depending on different types of encounters. At least for now, I have some idea of how to think about setting up my space.