7eat51
02-05-2013, 15:52
Submit a Book ReviewBook Title:
Seize the Fire: Heroism, Duty, and the Battle of Trafalgar Author:
Adam Nicolson ISBN:
0-06-075361-7 Category:
History Format:
Paperback and Hardback Summary:
Unlike other books that focus on the history or tactics of the battle of Trafalgar, Nicolson’s Seize the Fire is a treatment of human psychology, cultural values and meanings, and ethics. Using the battle of Trafalgar as a case study, the author explores the following concepts, each in a separate chapter: zeal, order and anxiety, honour, love, boldness, violence, humanity, and nobility. This book provides a different perspective in which to think about the men and actions of the battle, and the beliefs and values we, the readers, hold. This book would make for an interesting, and I believe lively, read in a reading group.

I own this book, so if you ever need anything from it or others I have, please let me know. Other titles can be found in my photo album - Age of Sail Library.

Volunteer
02-06-2013, 02:17
Thanks Eric. Hey can you do a review on Chronicles of the Frigate Macedonian? That really looks interesting. If you say it's good, then I may have to blow the moths out of the wallet and find a copy.

7eat51
02-06-2013, 08:22
Thanks Eric. Hey can you do a review on Chronicles of the Frigate Macedonian? That really looks interesting. If you say it's good, then I may have to blow the moths out of the wallet and find a copy.

Coog (Bobby) wrote a review of the book. I concur with him that it is an enjoyable and informative read. It reads like a story as opposed to a more technical or reference work. So if you're looking for a good read during the evenings, while on a trip, to simply relax, I highly recommend it. I picked up my copy in a used bookstore and I am glad I did.