7eat51
02-05-2013, 12:08
Submit a Book ReviewBook Title:
Jack Aubrey Commands Author:
Brian Lavery ISBN:
1-59114-402-7 Category:
Reference Format:
Paperback and Hardback Summary:
The full title is: Jack Aubrey Commands: An Historical Companion to the World of Patrick O'Brian. The author provides information concerning the ships (e.g. design, armament, types), personnel (e.g. ranks, recruitment, ethos), techniques (e.g. rope work, sail handling), life at sea (e.g. ship organization, entertainment, discipline and punishment), and warfare (e.g. types of operations, gunnery, boarding). Throughout the book is a wide array of drawings, pictures, models, and paintings covering ship cutouts, uniforms, maps, equipment, events, etc. This is an excellent companion for anyone reading an age-of-sail series of novels. It is not an exhaustive treatment of any specific aspect of sailing warships.

I own this book, so if you ever need anything from it or others I have, please let me know. Other titles can be found in my photo album - Age of Sail Library.

Jack Aubrey
02-09-2013, 04:30
Hey, that`s a book about me ! ;)

Great post, Eric

Jack Aubrey
02-26-2013, 11:00
I ordered it, maybe in a few days it will be here. I also found Patrick O`Brians Navy very cheap in a bookstore...:D

John Paul
02-24-2014, 03:01
The cover illustration for this book is done by Geoff Hunt, and what I found most interesting about the painting is the sail settings on all the ships is exactly the same!

The main mast sails are in backing wind, while the fore and aft sails are trimmed as if the ships are trying to make a hard tack!!

Just found that very interesting!!