PDA

View Full Version : Civil War

Capt P
12-01-2011, 18:13
Hi all. I am into a few pints of Yuengling and it just hit me. How would this system work for the American Cival War? I know there no "real" naval battles but other then Ironclads there were sailing vessels. Even if they only did a few of the mins from that era. Just thinking of another possability for the system.

Dan-Sam
12-02-2011, 00:33
I am not sure Bob, because I do not know tactics of American Civil War. What was the main point in tactics of that era? WoG / SoG is based on manouvres, but (and please, repeat me if I am wrong) there are many ships with combined drive, right? It could work...

Berthier
12-02-2011, 05:15
Well Civil War did have sail powered craft but the steam powered allowed for easy river navigation, something very difficult with sailing vessels. We may have to wait and see the details of the new system but I think it will run early 1600's to 1840 odd but then need tweaking to go beyond those years.

The Cowman
12-02-2011, 09:21
As the complexity of technology increases, so does the complexity of the rules systems... ;)

Capt P
12-02-2011, 16:06
As some have pointed out they did have steam engines. There could be a few ships and what if sceniros if the USN and CSN came together and had a battle. They mostly werre a ship to ship. Blocade runner facing chaser.

Capt P
12-02-2011, 16:09
Cowman only difference would be damage done by the types of cannons carried. Its not like the steam powered ships did 15 knots.

Old Salt
12-02-2011, 20:09
I think the game is pre 1820 [ don't quote cause I am not sure] but it will be our game to modify to fit when ever and what ever time we as local groups wish to play

David Manley
12-03-2011, 01:46
It could work almost straight off the bat for frigates and other wooden vessels. Some minor tweaks for armour would be needed and some of the other developments that characterised the period (such as mines and submarines) but it would be eminently doable.

David Manley
12-03-2011, 01:49
As the complexity of technology increases, so does the complexity of the rules systems...

Probably not in this case. If you limited the game to ships moving under steam power things actually get alot simpler (none of that tedious wind to worry about, no tacking or wearing etc.). I've published a few sets of naval rules in the past and ironclads are definitely one of the easier periods to deal with.

Capt P
12-03-2011, 14:16
The thing I was thinking of was that they could do models of ships for that era. Ironclads could be another area to look into for rules and modles.

Tommy Z
12-04-2011, 08:05
Doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to adapt.

Capt P
12-04-2011, 12:40
I know there are other rules for Ironclads but would hope maybe ARES could just models for othe periods.