PDA

View Full Version : Base sizes?

Monticus
01-08-2013, 21:55
This may have been discussed elsewhere but I was unable to find it, so I will ask here. Does anyone know the measurements or has an indication of the base size. I am assuming the early releases will be standard sizimg (as was wog), with larger ships requiring larger bases.

The Royal Hajj
01-08-2013, 22:19
We have not heard anything on base sizes yet.

Volunteer
02-02-2013, 07:46
What rules are you referring to?

The Royal Hajj
02-02-2013, 08:19
I'm pretty sure he is asking about SoG.

Volunteer
02-04-2013, 05:29
Since Ares decided to base the game on 1:1000 scale ships instead of 1:1200 I'm wondering what other folks are planning to do with their 1:120o and 1:2400 scale ships? Sort of knocks me out since all mine are 1:1200. How hard will it be to adapt the game to our scales? I keep thinking about this statement from the SOG production manager: ".......but if you consider that to play a SoG ship you need a special base, special deck, and game-specific counters, your 1/1200 ships would not be of much use when playing SOG, in any case!"

Coog
02-04-2013, 10:33
Since Ares decided to base the game on 1:1000 scale ships instead of 1:1200 I'm wondering what other folks are planning to do with their 1:120o and 1:2400 scale ships? Sort of knocks me out since all mine are 1:1200. How hard will it be to adapt the game to our scales? I keep thinking about this statement from the SOG production manager: ".......but if you consider that to play a SoG ship you need a special base, special deck, and game-specific counters, your 1/1200 ships would not be of much use when playing SOG, in any case!"

I'll get the Ares ships and use them as much as possible but it will take a while for them to produce a wide range of ships. I plan on playing with my 1:1200 ships as needed until that day. While the scale will probably make using the 1:1000 and 1:1200 ships together visually undesirable, the difference in scales of shouldn't be much of a problem in using the 1:1000 cards and bases for games using 1:1200 ships alone as a substitute. The use of 1:144 aircraft with 1:200 cards and bases hasn't been a problem for Wings of Glory players. Also I expect some of the talented members of this site will produce unofficial cards for various types and sizes ships, as done for aircraft on the Wings of Glory site, until official cards and a wide variety of ships become available.

Volunteer
02-05-2013, 04:10
Does anyone have any idea what Ares is planning on charging for the game? The latest issue date I saw was July of this year. Is that still true?

The Royal Hajj
02-05-2013, 07:15
Does anyone have any idea what Ares is planning on charging for the game? The latest issue date I saw was July of this year. Is that still true?

I would look for the price point to be similar to Wings, maybe slightly more if the ship minis are bigger than the planes or a lot hard for them to produce. I've not heard any dates on it's release yet, but I think July might be optimistic from what I have heard.

Green flash
03-17-2013, 05:06
I was wondering about the compatabilty issue,where there's a will...

David Manley
03-17-2013, 07:04
I don't think there'll be any problems using 1/1200 minis with the rules. You can address the firing and sailing arc issues with simple templates or overlays. Manoeuvre decks will be an issue, but as with Wings of Glory it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to home-produce equivalent decks.

Jack Aubrey
03-17-2013, 07:58
I don't think there'll be any problems using 1/1200 minis with the rules. You can address the firing and sailing arc issues with simple templates or overlays. Manoeuvre decks will be an issue, but as with Wings of Glory it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to home-produce equivalent decks.
I agree. I will make my own bases (may be a piece out of a pizzabox, or wood or something else as a base) and other things to use my "Pirates of the Spanish Main" ships as merchant ships or pirate vessels. There is surely a way to use other modells..;)

7eat51
03-17-2013, 09:31
With WoG, the base is used to measure movement, and the center of the plane, as indicated by the altitude peg, is used for measuring gunfire. It seems to me, something similar can be done here. As long as the bases are the same size, for example being made out of pizza boxes - Uli, the scale of the ship would not matter, at least in terms of movement. Combat might be a different issue, but not being familiar with the combat mechanism, I cannot comment. The real issue, I imagine for many, will be mixing different scales in the same game. If one wants to use SoG rules with 1:1200 ships or any other scale, then a conversion of maneuver cards and combat ranges is necessitated.

RichardPF
03-17-2013, 12:10
With WoG, the base is used to measure movement, and the center of the plane, as indicated by the altitude peg, is used for measuring gunfire. It seems to me, something similar can be done here. As long as the bases are the same size, for example being made out of pizza boxes - Uli, the scale of the ship would not matter, at least in terms of movement. Combat might be a different issue, but not being familiar with the combat mechanism, I cannot comment. The real issue, I imagine for many, will be mixing different scales in the same game. If one wants to use SoG rules with 1:1200 ships or any other scale, then a conversion of maneuver cards and combat ranges is necessitated.

I believe that many people play WoW/WoG scenarios using just the aircraft cards without minis.
Maybe not as aesthetically nice, but still.
While the aircraft cards are the same size as the bases of the minis, the images on the cards seem to be about half the size of the minis.

OmegaLazarus
03-22-2013, 16:05
I think there is enough video/picture information that we can determine base size by now if it isn't listed. If no one does it this weekend, I will do it next week.