PDA

View Full Version : Origins 2023 - Running the Shoals - SOG Game 2

TwoSheets
07-05-2023, 20:55
Origins 2023 – Game 5 – 2nd Origins SOG, Running the Shoals

10 captains braved the shoals to engage in battle for control of the seas. A French fleet was trying to break the blockade and slip out to sea.
If a ship’s base passes over or overlaps a shoal an E chit is drawn. The figure = running into the sand bar. Half the ship’s burden is taken in A damage chits. A zero must be drawn at the beginning of a turn to be free of the bar.

Today's Captains,
Royal Navy
1 HMS Goliath - Pete Oakley
3 HMS Malta - Timothy Marx
5 HMS Superb - Dave Langhurst
7 HMS Vanguard - Chris Weaver
9 HMS Defense - Mike Jacobs

French Navy
2 Aquilon - Tim F.
4 Neptune - Emily P.
6 Genereux - Robert Durst
8 Commerce de Bordeux - Patrick O'Toole
10 le Berwick - Pat Icard

At the beginning of the game the Royal Navy are all smiling and seem to think they have it in the bag.

The French are busy plotting their cunning strategy.

The British pick their way through the shoal openings and….WHATS THIS? A mystery from the future in the form of a ghost B-24?

As the Royal Navy closes with the French they give the enemy the first shot.
The French turn tight into the wind and get off a long shot at the HMS Goliath.

The Commerce de Bordeux lets loose a long shot at HMS Vanguard.

Genereux shows no love for the HMS Superb peppering it with a long range shot

Commerce de Bordeux takes another unansewered shot at HMS Vanguard.

HMS Defense sends a party on to the low tide sandbar to roast some sausages.

HMS Vanguard delivers a stern rake to le Berwick. Looks like the Berwick Zigged when she should have Zagged.

At the van of the line a general exchange of shots continues until the HMS Superb succumbs and strikes her colors.

A French salute to HMS Superb?

Now with a five on two advantage, the French push on.

HMS Malta takes revenge on the Genereux, blasting a point blank bow rake with marines firing away. The Genereux strikes and gives up the fight.

HMS Vanguard sails as fast as she can to join the fight catching a long range shot from Neptune.

Neptune now gains the attention from the HMS Vanguard and the HMS Supurb II.

HMS Malta takes a pounding from Commerce de Bordeux and le Berwick while giving out a stern rake just before she strikes!

Le Berwick now punishes HMS Goliath with a full broadside into her stern.

The enthusiastic captain of the HMS Superb II let loose every gun, rifle and pistol at the Neptune.

Neptune takes another shot from HMS Goliath. Captain Emily of the Neptune screams, “Is that all ya got”?

Enraged by the taunt, HMS Goliath quickly closes to board. Unfortunately the bow rake she takes on the way in ends badly and HMS Goliath strikes to the French SOL.

Narrowly missing having a collision with one of her own, le Berwick fails to see HMS Vanguard approach off her stern and pays heavily.

Somehow the French pull off a substantial victory, losing only one ship while taking three from the Royal Navy! Captain Emily wins the honors with the taking of two prizes!

Bligh
07-06-2023, 00:50
A very overwhelming victory for the French Peter. I am always wary about performing a head on attack myself, no matter what Lord Nelson got away with at Trafalgar. Our games system does not giv the British a three broadsides to two advantage.
Well done the French for superior positioning.
Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Rob.

TwoSheets
07-07-2023, 20:22
I did give the RN one rum barrel and hull repair each, but it wasn't enough!

Stumptonian
07-25-2023, 19:52
I did give the RN one rum barrel and hull repair each, but it wasn't enough!

It did help to ease the pain somewhat.
:beer:

Thanks for posting, Peter. I didn't take nearly enough pics of my games.

My own ships have started to arrive, so I hope to get them to my table soon.
:drinks: