PDA

View Full Version : God save King Charles 111.

Bligh
05-07-2023, 13:16
Dressed over all.

God save the King.:hatsoff:

William Bush
05-07-2023, 15:05
I had a look at some pictures of the coronation ceremony.

Just one word:

GLORIOUS!

Lt. Bush

Bligh
05-07-2023, 15:18
The reason that I did not post yesterday William was that I was glued to my TV all day watching the whole extravaganza.

Rob.

Dobbs
05-07-2023, 17:03
Definitely fancier than a country run by shop keepers and farmers.:happy:

I think I'm paraphrasing one of Charles' ancestors when I say that.

Bligh
05-08-2023, 01:12
First I have heard of this one Dobbs.

The phrase is attributed to Napoleon as far as most people are concerned, but did not originate with Napoleon, It first appears in "The Wealth of Nations" published in 1776 by Adam Smith, who wrote this: "To found a great empire for the sole purpose of raising up a people of customers may at first sight appear a project fit only for a nation of shopkeepers. It is, however, a project altogether unfit for a nation of shopkeepers; but extremely fit for a nation whose government is influenced by shopkeepers". Your Benjamin Franklin also used it to describe the Dutch at a slightly later date. This could be the source of Napoleon's use of it.

Rob.

William Bush
05-08-2023, 04:37
The reason that I did not post yesterday William was that I was glued to my TV all day watching the whole extravaganza.

Rob.

For good reason, my friend.

No one in the world can match the British in this splendor...

Lt. Bush

Dobbs
05-08-2023, 07:19
I could see Ben Franklin using it.:happy: Well, my error, I thought for sure that it was a constitutional monarchy's take on how democracy worked.

ShadowDragon
05-08-2023, 14:32
Here's the wikipedia article on the quote...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation_of_shopkeepers

...and we all know wikipedia is never wrong. :wink:

Bligh
05-08-2023, 15:11
Well that certainly fills in the bits that I was not sure about if it is all correct. There seems to be more about it than I suspected.
Rob.

ShadowDragon
05-08-2023, 18:41
Well that certainly fills in the bits that I was not sure about if it is all correct. There seems to be more about it than I suspected.
Rob.

I suspect the Anglo-Dutch Wars were over which nation would be the top shopkeeper nation. LoL

Dobbs
05-08-2023, 19:33
Wow! I was dead wrong. I thought the US was the nation of shop keepers! I mean, we had the audacity to let ordinary folks determine the direction that the government should head.:takecover:

DeRuyter
05-09-2023, 11:36
I didn't get up in the wee hours to see the parade and ceremony but watched the all-important balcony appearance! There was certainly enough speculation during the run up as to who exactly would be there!

I did finish the morning by watching Arsenal defeat Newcastle!

I could argue that the RAF flyby produced the flag of the other nation of shopkeepers that Ben Franklin referred to. :takecover: