PDA

View Full Version : An Incident off Algiers

Dobbs
02-26-2023, 09:57

With the Royal Navy distracted by the war with the colonies, the Algerian interpretation of mercantile treaties with Britain became more flexible. In an effort to reduce piracy, two British cutters attempt to explain the finer points of the treaty with a xebec.

The wind is blowing from the islands on the long side of the board. The British are close reaching on a starboard tack, the xebec the same on port.

This was a test of how my Soloplay system would handle fast, agile ships.

The range closes quickly.

The cutters stand on to windward as the xebec ducks to leeward.

This was the first demonstration that the AI might be having a difficult time with the pace. The xebec (me) delivers a punishing stern rake as an opening shot.

The windward cutter returns the favor, but in a reduced way.

The yellow cutter comes around and adds a contribution while the xebec harries the red cutter.

A lull. The exchange has been pretty even at this point, though I thought th AI could do better.

This is where I wrapped it up. My take aways were that you can have speed or agility. Don't try both. The AI was having a hard time lining up a shot, but so was I. In the future, I think I will set a top speed for the AI, and probably reduce my speed more often to allow for tighter turns.

Bligh
02-27-2023, 00:39
Interesting results Dobbs. It will be interesting to follow this as you tweak the system.
Rob.