PDA

View Full Version : How many Ships for SoG do you own in 2023?

Dobbs
01-29-2023, 07:17
Near as I can figure, I'm standing at 55 for the moment.

Argo
01-29-2023, 09:42
70, if my Excel-File is correct.

William Bush
01-29-2023, 12:28
20 Ships in the old poll, 20 in this new one that seems to have been triggered by my entry into the old one.

This is going to be interesting.

Cheers,
Lt. Bush

Capn Duff
02-04-2023, 10:30
A few hundred , including RN , French and Spanish and recently US and some Med Xebecs.
Also got a large number of hulls requiring paint and sails thanks to my 3d printer

Vagabond
02-05-2023, 01:15
I declared a moratorium on buying new ships when I had 18 of them. The figure now stands at 54. :salute::shock::wink:

William Bush
02-05-2023, 03:52
A few hundred , including RN , French and Spanish and recently US and some Med Xebecs.
Also got a large number of hulls requiring paint and sails thanks to my 3d printer

A few hundred!!

I say! Apparently, you have somehow succeeded to raid the 'Silver Train' on its passage home from the Spanish Main to cover the cost for such a Navy.

Lt. Bush

Bligh
02-06-2023, 09:18
Just added up mine to a total of 187 with a few printed ones yet to paint. this exclude sinkin ships and ships on fire which must be about another ten or so.

Rob.

Capn Duff
02-06-2023, 19:08
Take a look at this thread Mr Bush, just to show you.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?5374-My-Fleets-updated-2019&highlight=fleet+updated

Remembering this is from 2019

William Bush
02-07-2023, 08:04
Take a look at this thread Mr Bush, just to show you.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?5374-My-Fleets-updated-2019&highlight=fleet+updated

Remembering this is from 2019

This is most impressive, Captain.

I wonder, how this fleet review would appear this year.

Any enemy would be pounded into submission in short order. This naval display of overwhelming power could not be challenged by any other fleet afloat on the surface of the seas.

Now... This brings another thought: What if there were submersible vessels that could somehow take on those ships from below?
But after my recent rebuke by the Admiral of the notion of clipped ships to better cut through the waves, I will purse my lips.

Lt. Bush

Bligh
02-07-2023, 09:39
I believe Mr. Bush that Captain Manley has been in talks with a Mr. Fulton about just such a possibility, but that the scheme was rejected by the Admiralty on the grounds that it was an ungentlemanly act to sneak up on unprepared foes. No one mentioned cutting out actions at night in the discussion!

Bligh.

Dobbs
02-09-2023, 09:47

Here's my interpretation of one of Mr Fulton's nefarious devices.

Bligh
02-09-2023, 12:34
By Jove sir.
What is that, :shock:a smoking bathtub! :happy:

Bligh.

Diamondback
02-16-2023, 13:34
Still "two of everything Ares except BHR, Constitution and Victory." I'm not counting any of my 3rd-party hulls until they're masted and in commission; right now they're buried in my storage unit after an unplanned short-notice move.

So...
8/8 Starter
8/8 (16) KS Exclusives
16/16 (32) Wave 1A
8/8 (40) Wave 1B
24/24 (64) Wave 2
24/24 (88) Wave 3
23/23 (111) Wave 4
2/2 (113) Specials

So a hundred and thirteen ships if memory serves.

Dobbs
02-16-2023, 16:04
Still "two of everything except BHR, Constitution and Victory." I'm not counting any of my 3rd-party hulls until they're masted and in commission; right now they're buried in my storage unit after an unplanned short-notice move.

What's your vote, DB?

Diamondback
02-17-2023, 11:39
What's your vote, DB?

86-120, until the yards reopen and I can get the Canadas, Ganges and pre-refit Victory into commission. I need to get the storage units emptied and stuff from them sorted out while I have empty space to work with, then I need to get the house re-unpacked before I can even think about a 3d printer and setting up workshop in the garage... which reminds me, I told the cleanup contractors to skip the garage we'd deal with it, so it's gonna be a while. I'll be VERY pleasantly surprised if I have anything down the ways and fitted out this time next year, more likely Ares will get THEIR next ships to sea before I do.

Bligh
02-17-2023, 12:06
Sounds as if your move was pretty hard going DB.

Rob.

Diamondback
02-18-2023, 07:20
Sounds as if your move was pretty hard going DB.

Rob.

Considering that this house had been amassing packrat-age since the late 1960s, combined with a short-notice loss of lease on the studio... everything that was here previously has been stuffed into boxes and stacked in one bedroom. Right now I'm starting by trying to clear a backlog of stuff I've been warehousing for a small collector's club, see if I can get us from two 10x10's down to one. The garage itself can wait, the pantry between it and the house is where I'm aiming to set up my workbenches on the countertops. Right now my main workroom for getting things organized is the original dining room, which my grandmother had appropriated as her sewing room.

William Bush
02-23-2023, 15:25
Soon, my fleet will increase by 4 to 24.

I ordered a second Starter Box, mostly for the Ship Mats and some extra counters. This will likely be enough for considerable time. Before more gear is accumulated, that which is present should be played.

Lt. Bush

William Bush
02-25-2023, 07:23
The Starter Box arrived, so my fleet is now at 24 ships, British and French exclusively. I paid 79 Euros inclusive of shipping for the box. Of what I have seen, this seems to be a reasonable price at this time.

Lt. Bush

Bligh
02-25-2023, 09:06
Looks like a very good buy Lt. Bush. That should let you get your feet wet at Squadron level at the least. I hve a few extra unwanted bits from the four starter sets I eventually ended up with, so if you feel you are short of any extra chits or maybe another wind indicator once you get going let me know. I also have some unwanted ship log cards, but unfortunately have extracted the chits for my own needs, but the logs are yours for the asking.

Rob.

William Bush
02-25-2023, 15:26
Looks like a very good buy Lt. Bush. That should let you get your feet wet at Squadron level at the least. I hve a few extra unwanted bits from the four starter sets I eventually ended up with, so if you feel you are short of any extra chits or maybe another wind indicator once you get going let me know. I also have some unwanted ship log cards, but unfortunately have extracted the chits for my own needs, but the logs are yours for the asking.

Rob.

This is a generous offer, Admiral Bligh. Thank you.

Next time I have my round together - hopefully 5th or 18th of March - I will evaluate the state of affairs with the others. I know that both of them have bought some Ship Packs, but I am not sure if they have also acquired Starter Boxes. I am pretty sure that at least one of them has. As I also have an extra counter set, probably we will be sufficiently equipped for the scope of game we are able to handle at this point.

If it turns out that we find ourselves in dire need, I know whom to turn to.

Cheers,
Lt. Bush

Dobbs
02-26-2023, 16:00

If these are the missing chits, I have 3 unused sets (probably 4 but couldn't pin down the 4th quickly). If there's a cheap way to send them across the Pond, then you can have them for the cost of shipping.

Bligh
02-27-2023, 00:42
That's a goldmine Dobbs. I have had to resort to printing my own sets of chips.

Rob.

William Bush
02-27-2023, 12:22

If these are the missing chits, I have 3 unused sets (probably 4 but couldn't pin down the 4th quickly). If there's a cheap way to send them across the Pond, then you can have them for the cost of shipping.

These are indeed those elusive specimen. Almost as rare as... the two-wattled cassowary!

It is a long time since I remitted money to the US but this should not be witchcraft.
Looking at my banking-app for a transfer to the US it asks me for the following information:

Name, Address, IBAN, SWIFT/BIC or Fedwire Code/ABA-Code

If you tell me, what the shipping cost would be, I could remit the money and you could send after having received my payment.
In case you wish to follow up, we can sort out further details via Private Messages.

Lt. Bush

Dobbs
02-27-2023, 17:58

It turns out that I have 5 more complete sets of those chits, only punched out. Do you like them all, Mr Bush?

Dobbs
02-27-2023, 18:05
Incidentally these are some other things that I am trying to sell if any of them appeal, now would be the time with transatlantic shipping prices.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?6649-Rulers-Pointers-and-Coastal-Sets-for-Sale

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?6593-Maneuver-Card-Decks-for-Sale

Bligh
02-28-2023, 00:51
https://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=59240&stc=1

It turns out that I have 5 more complete sets of those chits, only punched out. Do you like them all, Mr Bush?

If Mr Bush does not want those, I am interested in them Dobbs. It will save me a lot of time on cutting out and printer ink.

Rob.

Stumptonian
08-30-2023, 16:16
22 for me.
Hoping to keep it under 25 and not go bonkers like I have done with Wings, T & T and BSG.
:takecover:

Since most of my games will be some kind of solo I think that will be more than enough.

Bligh
08-31-2023, 13:31
You may well be right Pete. I have never sailed more than 12 a side in a solo game. It is only when you start a Chilean navy, Spanish, Swedish, US, Islamic and now Danish that suddenly yo are over the sixty mark and adding merchantmen for each nation, bls gun boats, bomb ketches etc that it really gets out of hand. Next the Dutch! :shock: :minis: :moneygone: :help:
Rob.

Capn Duff
08-31-2023, 14:48
No such thing as enough, I have a few ships myself and getting more has never done me any harm at all…..twitch, twitch

William Bush
10-06-2023, 22:32
I have visited SPIEL games fair in Essen this week, were ARES had a large booth. Not being able to resist, my fleet grew by 6 ships to the number of 30. The new ships are HMS Victory, USS Constitution, Bonhomme Richard, Santa Ana, Principe de Asturias, and Impérial.

The price was 15, 20, and 25 Euros for small, large, and 'special' ships respectively, with a 'buy two, get one free' offer extending to any articles. Starter Boxes were available for 70 Euros. I even found and immediately secured two sets of the elusive and rare extra Ship Mats and rounded this off with a set of Damage Counter Bags.

Quite a haul...

Lt. Bush

Monse Haillon
12-16-2023, 15:51
I have got this collection for a few years but I have just started playing.
Really fond of the game system and rules.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=57013&d=1638153909

https://www.sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=57014&d=1638153909

Bligh
12-17-2023, 04:07
looks as though you have sufficient ships to cover a good few scenarios there Simon.
I suggest that you have a good look at some of our campaign AARs and this should give you a series of games that you could try out for yourself. If you post your results it will count towards a medal just like it does on the Drome.
Rob.

TexaS
12-26-2023, 04:54
A bit over a hundred Sails of Glory ships and about 50 3D-printed and painted ships, mainly Spanish and Swedish ships.

JackAubrey1805
12-31-2023, 13:10
When I add it all up, there are over 230.
116 original, 33 finished Langton models and wrecks and 85 unfinished 3D printed hulls.

Diamondback
12-31-2023, 16:19
Considerably more once Henry's KS closes and I get a 3d-printer system set up.

JackAubrey1805
01-07-2024, 03:54
:thumbsup: