PDA

View Full Version : After a long long search

Volunteer
09-24-2022, 14:35
I know this book has been shown posted before. I have been looking for an affordable copy forever and finally found one through Thriftbooks. This is such an invaluable resource for rigging and sailing tactics. I have been using rigging reference I found on-line from this book for years. Now I have my own copy! So excited!

https://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=58738&stc=1

Bligh
09-24-2022, 15:24
Good book Vol. I enjoyed my copy.
I turned it upright for you hence the double post.

Rob.

PeterBrodbeck
04-24-2023, 05:39
Hello. Useful books on combat, sailing and naval history in the age of sail can be found at this address. They are freely available. https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/1125-useful-books-on-combat-sailing-and-naval-history-in-the-age-of-sail/

Bligh
04-24-2023, 13:02
Looks as if those may be of interest Peter.
Thanks for mentioning them.
Rob.

William Bush
04-24-2023, 15:40
I know this book has been shown posted before. I have been looking for an affordable copy forever and finally found one through Thriftbooks. This is such an invaluable resource for rigging and sailing tactics. I have been using rigging reference I found on-line from this book for years. Now I have my own copy! So excited!

https://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=58738&stc=1

This looks interesting... It is my birthday soon, so now I have something to propose.

Lt. Bush

DeRuyter
04-25-2023, 12:19
This looks interesting... It is my birthday soon, so now I have something to propose.

Lt. Bush

If you are interested in the sailing and working of square-rigged ships it is invaluable. I got my copy in 1999 when I was in a tall ship sail training class. Our captain pretty much mandated it! At that time, it was 60 USD for a new copy.

William Bush
04-25-2023, 13:04
If you are interested in the sailing and working of square-rigged ships it is invaluable. I got my copy in 1999 when I was in a tall ship sail training class. Our captain pretty much mandated it! At that time, it was 60 USD for a new copy.

To be honest, I am not proficient to sail a boat, much less a tall square-rigged ship. I am even still struggling to handle the SoG ships without running them aground or moving them offboard...

Yet, I find such things interesting. It is knowledge that used to be common and now it is mostly forgotten. If I even understand half of what I read and what I see in the illustrations, I might get a better picture of what is actually going on when handling such vessels.

Lt. Bush

Bligh
04-25-2023, 13:13
Good to see you studying hard for your Lts examination Mr. Bush. Next comes your navigation skills. How is your maths? :wink: Incidentally I see you have achieved Nelson today. 111 posts!

Bligh.

PeterBrodbeck
04-26-2023, 02:00
Yes, it is a very good book. Well written and lots of quality and clear illustrations. In other old books on the subject, which were copied or photographed, the quality of the text and illustrations leaves much to be desired.

William Bush
10-08-2023, 05:41
Meanwhile, I have procured this book and can attest that it is indeed a real treasue of knowledge on how to work square-rigged ships. The many illustrations and drawings provide added attraction and detail.

The treasure within is, however, not easily raised unless you do have prior experience with sailing or, more precisely, its terminology.
Forced to admit, that I am an 'infernal lubber' in real life, I would have to commit considerable time learning the ropes in this regard before being able to fully understand and appreciate the techniques this books describes in great detail.

Lt. Bush