PDA

View Full Version : Blue Cross White Ensign

Berthier
11-07-2012, 21:32
For those of you bored mindless in waiting for SOG, GMT have just posted the pre-release information on their next installment of their Age of Sail board game system "Flying Colours"

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-427-blue-cross-white-ensign.aspx

This self contained game focuses on the efforts of the Imperial Russian navy in its struggles against the navies of Sweden in the Baltic and Turkey in the Black and Mediterranean seas from 1770 to 1807.

It may even be out before SOG! If not, there are two other games in the series for your interest available now...and they have a sale on!

David Manley
11-07-2012, 23:01
oh, good spot. Its pricey but I may well have to splurge on this :D

DJensen
11-07-2012, 23:14
I saw a copy of one of the games in the series in a store and wasn't sure how much like WS&IM or Close Action it was. Can you say how it compares? Thanks.

Berthier
11-08-2012, 05:01
I saw a copy of one of the games in the series in a store and wasn't sure how much like WS&IM or Close Action it was. Can you say how it compares? Thanks.

David, nothing like close action as this can handle fleet actions without the need for plotting either. Uses an activation system for movement, single ship or formation. Quite an elegant system, gets a bit messy using the markers for status and I prefer to use log sheets which are an alternative. Nice after action report can be read here
http://yockbosboardgames.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/flying-colors-gmt-doggersbank-1829.html

Alternatively look at boardgamegeek page for Flying colours and have a read of all the comments
http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/8730?comment=1

Mark Barker
11-13-2012, 14:11
DM,

It's not pricey if you do the historical research for the system and get a free copy (yuk,yuk).

For those unfamiliar with the system I wrote an article for GMT's C3i magazine that explains all the mechanics. It plays faster than WS&IM and Close Action and includes a simple but effect set of command and control rules that penalise getting out of line or too far away from the flagships. Vol 1 and the Ship of the Line expansion cover mainly fleet battles, Vol II is mostly frigate battles/War of 1812 and includes the Duel Game - a card activation system designed to enhanced the replay value of the one or two ship per side battles.

I'll have to give you a game sometime ...

Video review of the magazine (the article is featured around 5 mins in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGaZ8OYxiWw

Best wishes,

Mark Barker

Berthier
11-15-2012, 04:53
oh, good spot. Its pricey but I may well have to splurge on this :D

Game is $42US if pre-ordered and they don't charge until a couple of weeks before shipping. Is that pricey? I've bought so many damn games over the years I'm almost immune to price..:eek:

Coog
11-15-2012, 14:04
DM,

It's not pricey if you do the historical research for the system and get a free copy (yuk,yuk).

For those unfamiliar with the system I wrote an article for GMT's C3i magazine that explains all the mechanics. It plays faster than WS&IM and Close Action and includes a simple but effect set of command and control rules that penalise getting out of line or too far away from the flagships. Vol 1 and the Ship of the Line expansion cover mainly fleet battles, Vol II is mostly frigate battles/War of 1812 and includes the Duel Game - a card activation system designed to enhanced the replay value of the one or two ship per side battles.

I'll have to give you a game sometime ...

Video review of the magazine (the article is featured around 5 mins in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGaZ8OYxiWw

Best wishes,

Mark Barker

Nice to see you back posting Mark. David has had to single-handedly defend the honor of the British Navy against Yanks, the French, and at least one pirate!

Mark Barker
11-16-2012, 13:20
Yes, he asked for reinforcements.

Admiralty orders that we are not allowed to cruise alone but need to keep in pairs in case we encounter one of those pesky Yank 44s ...

Mark

csadn
11-16-2012, 17:34
Admiralty orders that we are not allowed to cruise alone but need to keep in pairs in case we encounter one of those pesky Yank 44s ...

"It's a trap -- there' *two* of them!" >;)

Blackrose
11-22-2012, 05:29
"It's a trap -- there' *two* of them!" >;)

Ah, quoting old highland jokes now are we?
Karl

Coog
11-22-2012, 05:58
For those not familiar with the joke:

In the old days the English and Scottish armies used to fight by gathering their armies on top of the hills and at day break they would run down the hillside into the deep gorge below to fight. One morning at dawn there was a fog (as thick as pea soup) and the two generals decided to refrain from fighting that day. Whilst the two armies were resting a voice, with a Scottish accent came from within the dense fog.

"Any one Scotsman can beat any 10 Englishmen".

With this, the english general sent down 10 of his soldiers. There was a hell of a fight and NO ONE returned. An hour later, the same voice was heard.

"Any one Scotsman can beat any 50 Englishman".

With this the English general sent down 50 of his soldiers. The same thing, a terrible fight ensured and again NO ONE returned. An hour later the same voice.

"Any one Scotsman can beat any 100 Englishman".

Same same, down went 100 of the best. NO ONE returned. An hour later.

"Any one Scotsman can beat any 1,000 Englishman".

By this time, the English general had enough and was about to send down his elite soldiers, when he saw a lone Englishman crawling up the hill. He was battered to a pulp. As he reached his general he said, "Don't send any more troops down, its a trap, THERE'S TWO OF THEM".

Coog
11-22-2012, 06:02
Another one:

It was cold on the upper deck and. the captain was concerned for the comfort of his passengers.
He called down:"Is there a mackintosh down there big enough to keep two young lassies warm?"
"No, skipper,’ came the reply, "but there’s a Maclean willing to try."

David Manley
11-22-2012, 12:02
For those not familiar with the joke:

I thank God I wore my corset, because I think my sides have split :)

That one is as old as the hills. I've seen it in many, many variations (2 Royal marines against anyone, two Germans against anyone, two Spartans against Persians, two Englishmen against the French, two French against the Spanish, two Poles against the Russians, two VC against Americans, etc. etc.). Its alomost as old as the stoopid "ship talking to lighthouse" one :D

I suggest if we are going to have a cheesy joke thread we do it in a separate thread along the lines of the flying penguis rather than here (it is rather off topic for a historical discussions

Coog
11-22-2012, 12:14
I suggest if we are going to have a cheesy joke thread we do it in a separate thread along the lines of the flying penguis rather than here (it is rather off topic for a historical discussions

Cowman already started one a long time ago.

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?34-Time-for-the-Wet-Jokes-to-start

Berthier
12-22-2012, 00:28
DM,

For those unfamiliar with the system I wrote an article for GMT's C3i magazine that explains all the mechanics.

Mark Barker

Mark features in the latest issue of C3i from GMT with a whole article devoted to an interview with him. Fame indeed!

7eat51
02-09-2013, 22:08
I am looking forward to this release. Every game I have bought from GMT, thus far, has been high in both design and aesthetic quality. This will be a nice expansion into unchartered waters for me.

Gunner
08-29-2013, 23:14
Blue cross, white ensign has 472 pledges including mine. Only 28 to go.:thumbsup:

David Manley
08-30-2013, 03:50
I must admit, I am tempted......

7eat51
08-30-2013, 05:09
I am definitely excited about this. Thanks for the update, Ed. The last time I looked, the number of pledges was much lower. Since then, I have focused on other games, such as SoG. It now looks like this will become a reality, and that, possibly by year's end.

CHolgren
08-30-2013, 13:14
Ed,

476 according to the GMT website. I preordered it a couple of months ago and it was at 375ish then, very surprised it took this long to make it to this point.

Gunner
08-30-2013, 14:59
Ed,

476 according to the GMT website. I preordered it a couple of months ago and it was at 375ish then, very surprised it took this long to make it to this point.

Looks like the race is on, Blue cross, white ensign reaching 500 or SoG reaching the Anchorage.

Only one day left to Pick a date for a free SoG ship.

Gunner
09-03-2013, 23:56
Looks like the race is on, Blue cross, white ensign reaching 500 or SoG reaching the Anchorage.

Only one day left to Pick a date for a free SoG ship.

Looks like Blue Cross, White Ensign has the lead. 485 as of today. Only 15 to go.

Devsdoc
09-04-2013, 15:46
Nice to see you back posting Mark. David has had to single-handedly defend the honor of the British Navy against Yanks, the French, and at least one pirate!

Thanks Bobby,
I love to think I'm seen as a Yank :erk:
Be safe
Rory

David Manley
09-04-2013, 15:52
Plunge taken - only 14 to go now :)

David Manley
09-04-2013, 16:16
I love to think I'm seen as a Yank :erk:

Praise indeed :happy::drinks:

Gunner
09-04-2013, 17:14
Plunge taken - only 14 to go now :)

Way to go Dave.

Berthier
10-28-2013, 03:48
Blue Cross passed the 500 mark, that's the good news, bad news is it probably wont get a production slot till orders reach 700!!

Gunner
10-28-2013, 11:30
Blue Cross passed the 500 mark, that's the good news, bad news is it probably wont get a production slot till orders reach 700!!

Are you sure about the 700?

7eat51
10-28-2013, 20:59

I hope that is not the case. I am eagerly awaiting the new expansion for Panzer as well.

Berthier
10-30-2013, 04:40

GMT email I received saying the game had reached P500 (you should all get this if you pre-ordered)and that production slots are "usually" not given till orders top 700. Once a game reaches the 500 mark and is going to go to production at some stage, orders usually accelerate, but if I had to put my money on it I'd say it will be twelve months..sorry guys.

Their production schedule is shown on the latest update on their site and that goes through till March 2014 with no mention of Blue Cross but then again it only just hit the 500 mark. I would think the development and majority of the art work for this was done long ago so maybe they can put it out sooner but I'm still saying late next year.

Gunner
10-30-2013, 11:30
Dan, I checked with GMT

Subject=Blue Cross White Ensign
S1=Would you take a guess and give me an approximate delivery date for Blue Cross White Ensign? Thanks and Best regards, Ed.

Reply was,

Ed,

A guess only – nothing binding – second half of 2014

Tony Curtis

Manager, GMT Games LLC

7eat51
10-30-2013, 13:17
I am fine with anytime in 2014, if 2014 can be assured. I don't want to be kept guessing for some unknown possible date. The first half of the year will primarily see SoG at the table, anyway, at least in terms of AoS games.

Berthier
02-19-2014, 22:27
The latest update for this game has a "tentative" production slot for the fourth quarter of this year. Frankly I'll be surprised if it is out this year at all. Of interest is another naval AOS game in development by GMT called "CAPTAIN'S SEA" which is a purely single ship vs single ship game that may tie in with SOG better for cross fertilization of rules concepts. One unusal aspect of this game is that it uses hexagonal counters but a square grid play surface

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-475-captains-sea.aspx

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-427-blue-cross-white-ensign.aspx

Gunner
02-19-2014, 22:36
Yes, I just saw that. I'll be happy to get mine about this time next year. Happier if I get it by Christmas.

7eat51
02-20-2014, 06:26
The latest update for this game

I am looking forward to this expansion. I hope this line continues. Same with Panzer.

Thanks for the heads up about Captain's Sea. I was not aware of that one. I think it will fill a gap rather nicely - similar to Iron and Oak.

DeRuyter
02-20-2014, 07:18
I am looking forward to this expansion. I hope this line continues. Same with Panzer.

Thanks for the heads up about Captain's Sea. I was not aware of that one. I think it will fill a gap rather nicely - similar to Iron and Oak.

Still early days with only 69 orders though. Seems like this game is prime for porting to miniatures. Hex counters are like "Fire As She Bears 2d" hex movement trays.

Nightmoss
01-04-2015, 09:32
Blue Cross White Ensign should be arriving soon for many who pre-ordered it. At last years Boardgame Geek Convention there was a Flying Colors event (Cape Henry), which used Sails of Glory minis on a large custom mat with 2 inch hex gridlines.

Some impressive photos and an AAR on Boardgame Geek I just discovered last evening. http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17893633#17893633

So, with the new Flying Colors release due any day now perhaps we'll see some Russian vs. Swedish encounters using SoG ships? :wink:

Gunner
01-05-2015, 22:53
Mine came in today.:beer: Will try her out some time this month.

7eat51
01-05-2015, 23:00
Congrats, Ed. :beer:

How does she look? The usual GMT standards?

Gunner
01-05-2015, 23:16
Congrats, Ed. :beer:

How does she look? The usual GMT standards?

Same high standards, and her play Book is in color on gloss heavy paper.
Have to paint many dark green and white ships:drinks:

Devsdoc
01-06-2015, 14:22
Same high standards, and her play Book is in color on gloss heavy paper.
Have to paint many dark green and white ships:drinks:

One day,Ed. One day.
Enjoy your new game.
Be safe
Rory

Gunner
01-06-2015, 16:18
One day,Ed. One day.
Enjoy your new game.
Be safe
Rory

I knew that would draw you out:beer:

Devsdoc
01-06-2015, 16:59
I knew that would draw you out:beer:

I could not over-look you, Ed. :thumbsup: :drinks: But the colour is Black :bleh:
Be safe
Rory

7eat51
01-21-2015, 18:10
Now available on CSI (http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/211609). Will be ordering soon.

Nightmoss
01-22-2015, 09:24
Now available on CSI (http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/211609). Will be ordering soon.

Also availabe for $39.00 on Miniature Market. Free shipping on orders over $100. 9 left in stock (I just ordered mine). Cheers!

7eat51
01-22-2015, 12:52
Ordered mine from CSI just now, but had to buy $60+ in other games for the free shipping, you know. :wink:

Maybe we could arrange a group game sometime, either all of us playing solo, or play by email, etc.

Gunner
01-22-2015, 13:23
Ordered mine from CSI just now, but had to buy $60+ in other games for the free shipping, you know. :wink:

Yep that's where they get you.

PBEmail would be good.(as long as I don't have to orchestrate it) :beer:

7eat51
01-29-2015, 22:39
My copy arrived today.

You must love those green counters, Ed.

Berthier
01-30-2015, 02:11
Hey Ed, I got mine two days ago, how's that quicker to Australia than Chicago! Yes the green is nice :wink:

Gunner
02-02-2015, 16:25
Stat sheets for Blue Cross, White Ensign:beer:

www.gmtgames.com/nnfc/fcstatsheets.pdf