PDA

View Full Version : HMS Bounty Abandoned

Coog
10-29-2012, 07:26
The replica of the HMS Bounty used in the 1960 movie had to be abandoned at sea due to Hurricane Sandy. Here's an article:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/10/29/coast-guard-crew-abandons-tall-ship-in-distress-off-nc-as-sandy-moves-toward/

Coog
10-30-2012, 10:18
More on the Bounty...ship sinks and sadly not everyone rescued:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1933241340001/

Comte de Brueys
10-30-2012, 11:32
Sad news.

The skipper is still missing.:(

Coog
10-30-2012, 12:05
When I first heard of Bounty being at sea, I was wondering why she was out there. I've read now that she had been at New London, Connecticut and was sailing to St. Petersburg, Florida. It was thought she had a better chance of at sea trying to avoid the storm by sailing south than staying moored at New London.

I guess Constellation in Baltimore and Constitution in Boston made it through the storm at their moorings. Anyone hear of how they did?

csadn
10-30-2012, 15:06
When I first heard of Bounty being at sea, I was wondering why she was out there. I've read now that she had been at New London, Connecticut and was sailing to St. Petersburg, Florida. It was thought she had a better chance of at sea trying to avoid the storm by sailing south than staying moored at New London.

I don't know what the hell they were thinking moving in the first place -- for ships of that period, protocol for "caught by storm near coast" was "find a sheltered inlet or port, and get into it". The decision to leave port -- and a drydock, no less -- was quite possibly the most foolish of all possible decisions, and that foolishness has killed people.

Capt P
11-04-2012, 13:20
Didn't know someone build a replica and so sorry she went down. Also for the crew that was lost and Capt.

David Manley
11-05-2012, 10:50
In amongst all the stories of tragedy in the wake of Sandy in the US and elsewhere this one hits home hard for me. I've been on the ship and she was lovely, and more importantly the loss of the crew in what was an entirely unnecessary incident is particularly heartbreaking. Just as the Costa Concordia loss will make its weight felt in the design and operation of cruise liners, this tragedy is likely to drive some very necessary changes in the way ships like this are operated.

** good fortune seems to have smiled upon my close friends on the east Coast and the Caribbean, as everyone I know there got through it with minimal disruption at best. My NYC friends especially