PDA

View Full Version : First Game (solo)

LickOfTheCat
10-19-2021, 15:49
I tried the solo scenario (as British with French at anchor) with the advanced rules. Lots of MASSIVE play errors to say the least but great fun. The Terpsichore captain was particularly bad. For some reason decided to forget using any wind advantage and sail directly into a short range broadside from the Aquilon, then in panic run aground on a reef. At least the Vanguard got a good raking broadside in before calling it quits.

Question: When playing a delayed action and nothing takes place (i.e. extinguish fire but there is no fire) does the counter (a) remain in place until the next turn and then removed or (b) is it removed immediately? If (a) can it can be s preparatory action but can then it be left in place indefinitely until used etc?

The Terpsichore getting two broadsides

Bligh
10-20-2021, 00:51
Hi Scott.
Looks s if you had a good game and also a sharp learning curve. Even experienced Captains sometimes try the overland route.
You really should not play an action such as extinguish fire or repair leaks until the event takes place. You can't react because you don't know where or when a fire will break out, or damage will appear and the crew will take time to get to the seat of the problem even if standing ready.

Thanks for posting your picture.

Rob.

LickOfTheCat
10-20-2021, 02:37
Thanks Rob. I'll have another try at this tonight with a bit of different approach.

Bligh
10-20-2021, 08:29
Look forward to seeing your results. Remember the main objective is to enjoy the game, and Andrea always stresses that you can change any rule to suit yourself as long as the other players agree. i have done a lot of fiddling with the rules to fit in with what my friends think are a best fit.

Rob.

LickOfTheCat
10-20-2021, 15:25
The 2nd attempt: Used the wind in my favour. Went a smidge better. Vanguard took a full broadside, broken mast, leak, had a fire and shortly after surrendered. Terpsichore made a valiant effort with a couple of raking broadsides before sailing off the edge of the world. Seems flat earthers may be onto something....very enjoyable.

Dobbs
10-20-2021, 18:35
Keep up the good work! If sailing were easy, everyone would be doing it!:happy:

When you're ready, here are rules for my soloplay system. If you have questions, just ask. Sometimes it's handy to play one soloplay ship against another initially just to become familiar with how the mechanism works.

https://sailsofglory.org/entry.php?84-My-Soloplay-Mechanism

Baxter
10-20-2021, 21:52
A nice load of action shots there. Thank you for posting. :beer:

LickOfTheCat
10-21-2021, 02:47
Thanks Gary and Dobbs. I will definitely be trying your solo system once I've had a bit more time with the game. I'd be very disappointed if I'd managed to win a scenario within a few games of ever playing... a challenge, a learning curve and incremental successes what keeps it fun. For me solo games have to be very difficult as those wins by the skin of the teeth are so memorable.

LickOfTheCat
10-26-2021, 12:42
In answer to my own question about actions the answer was there all the time. On Page 29 of the rule book it says that if an illegal action is planned (such as extinguish non-existing fires etc), it has no effect and is returned to the action pool.

So, you can play things such as extinguish fire but it is just a waste of an action spot as it just simply has no effect and has no preparatory effect.

Capn Duff
10-26-2021, 13:36
Hi Scott, when you use a delayed action it is removed at the end of the delayed turn, this is to stop pre empting damage control. See page 30, 31 of rulebook.
Essentially in planning stage you plan the repair damage, when you reveal action you place the repair action in the ship action box.
Next turn you plan actions , the repair action is still in ship action box and counts as a planned action in this turn.
At the end of this turn the repair chit is removed and is ready to be used again in the planning actions phase of the new turn.
In the files Is my play sheet for the advanced rules, it goes through each segment with the rules pages annotated, have a go using this, I hope it helps, if you got any further questions give me a shout.

LickOfTheCat
10-26-2021, 14:19
Hi Chris, thanks for that. Your play sheet looks a great aid.