PDA

View Full Version : The Shores of Tripoli

Baxter
10-14-2021, 16:29
For anyone enthralled with the AAR of the first battle this book by James L Haley is worth reading. I am about half way through and that ties in nicely with Bligh's AAR. Hard to believe in these days of intolerance for pirates that so many nations paid tribute to those thugs.

Bligh
10-15-2021, 00:30
Thanks for the heads up Gary.
I went straight to Kindle and bought a copy. I like a good yarn woven around my research, It helps to keep things fresh.

Rob.

TexaS
10-16-2021, 03:23
The tributes were large too. I know what Sweden payed was a significant part of the country’s budget.

Bligh
10-17-2021, 08:26
It was a similar situation in the USA Jonas.
The tribute demanded by the Bashaw of Tripoli which led to the war was $220,000 which is $3.46 million in today's terms. In 1800 the total Federal revenues only totaled a little over $10 million.

Rob.

Diamondback
10-17-2021, 10:39
For anyone enthralled with the AAR of the first battle this book by James L Haley is worth reading. I am about half way through and that ties in nicely with Bligh's AAR. Hard to believe in these days of intolerance for pirates that so many nations paid tribute to those thugs.

I suspect some of it was the same "the proles are expendable" attitude of today, part of it was that in their avarice they could be paid to harass your enemies for "plausible deniability."

Americans aren't the only ones who can be counted on to, as Churchill said, "do right ONLY after exhausting all other alternatives"...

Bligh
11-01-2021, 14:54
James L Haley is worth reading. I am about half way through and that ties in nicely with Bligh's AAR. Hard to believe in these days of intolerance for pirates that so many nations paid tribute to those thugs.

Just completed The Shores of Tripoli Gary, and it is exactly as you described it on the tin. Great read. So much so that I've just ordered the sequel.
" A darker Sea."

Thanks for the intro to these books.

Rob.