PDA

View Full Version : Fallen Masts

Dobbs
07-03-2021, 16:49
I was pondering if this would be fun or bog things down:

Falling Masts
When a ship takes a mast hit, the player draws 2 “E” chits. On any result other than double casualties, the mast falls to leeward. On a double casualty draw the mast falls to windward. If the vessel is heading directly downwind, with the wind in the yellow arc astern, the player draws a single “E” chit and on a 0 the mast falls to port. On a casualty, the mast falls to starboard.

If the player chooses to fire a side blocked by a fallen mast, the full broadside strength is limited to the highest available partial broadside strength. In addition to this, if he chooses to fire, he must draw two more “E” chits. A double casualty result indicates that the muzzle flashes have started a fire.

Diamondback
07-03-2021, 18:52
Interesting idea. Would cutting a fallen mast away reduce the fire hazard, and was that a thing done back then?

Personally, I'd assume a broken mast to be just deadweight to be gotten rid of ASAP...

Bligh
07-04-2021, 01:23
All sounds reasonable to me. We treat fallen masts as causing the ship to follow the fallen mast movement cards until cut away and then go back to normal movement but only at the slowest speed on its movement card. It would be interesting to add this modification.

Rob.

JackAubrey1805
10-16-2022, 09:35
What do you think of the variant:
If a broken mast arrives, the ship must immediately swap the next course card already on display for a broken mast card drawn blind!
This increases the effect of a mast break and the drawn card means "the side" is also chosen. This is established by placing a "Fallen Masts" marker on the side of the base where the mast fell.

Optionally, you can limit the usable deck of the "Fallen Masts" to the page. Either decrease Windward's deck because he's more likely to fall Leeward.

Bligh
10-16-2022, 15:34
We have done this sometimes and applied it until the repair is completed. We have also done it for hits on the steering.

Rob.