PDA

View Full Version : Some historical scenario snapshots from New Zealand

Panzer_Leader
04-28-2021, 19:59
Hi Captains

I have been playing a number of historically-inspired scenarios with my 10- and six-year-old sons recently, using Basic Rules and Enemy in Sight! set-up to keep it simple, not all of which are completed due to changeable attention spans, but which may be picked up again as interest strikes. I've taken a number of photos, which don't count as full AARs, but I thought I'd share for your interest:

Battle of Vizagapatam, 15 September 1804:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vizagapatam

HMS Centurion [Leopard] receives broadsides from Marengo [Genereux] and Semillante [Courageuse] and delivers one against Marengo in return.

Centurion delivers a partial broadside against the starboard bow of Marengo.

74-gun Marengo manoeuvres to deliver a devastating stern rake against 50-gun Centurion which forced her to strike, reversing the historical outcome of the battle.

I will add additional historically-inspired scenarios and photos as time permits. Next will be HMS Guerriere [Sybille] versus USS Constitution, 19 August 1812.

Capn Duff
04-29-2021, 13:54
Nice pics Rhys, I hope you get more games in with your boys.
What were you using as the Couraguese?

Panzer_Leader
04-29-2021, 16:24
Nice pics Rhys, I hope you get more games in with your boys.
What were you using as the Couraguese?

Hi Chris, I'm glad you liked them and I'm anticipating more games, especially as winter and rainy weekends head our way in New Zealand.

In the above vignette I was actually using Courageuse from the Starter Set as 'Semillante' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_frigate_S%C3%A9millante_(1791)), which was a 32-gun 12 lb frigate, so I decided Courageuse was representative enough "out of the box".

I'm expecting delivery of SGN113A Mahonesa, as a representative 34/36-gun 12 lb frigate, and Cigar Box Battle 'Cold Water' mat (http://cigarboxbattlestore.bigcartel.com/product/cold-water-440-4x6-plus) shortly so am excited for the range of possible historically-inspired vignettes I can play with these and the ships already in my (our) collection.

Bligh
04-30-2021, 01:08
Thanks for that little Indian Ocean interlude Rhys.
It makes a nice change to the usual and as you may have guessed from my posts is close to my heart.
Thanks also for the background link which will set the context for those shipmates not au fait with the area of hostilities.
Despite not being a full AAR it is certainly Rep worthy.

Rep gun discharged.:cannonboom:

Rob.

Panzer_Leader
05-02-2021, 19:42
Thanks Rob, I'm glad you enjoyed the change of theatre. My next vignette takes us back to the better known waters of the North Atlantic...

HMS Guerriere versus USS Constitution, 19 August 1812:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Constitution_vs_HMS_Guerriere

The HMS Guerriere [Sybille] and USS Constitution sight each other in clear conditions and begin manoeuvring for advantage.

After closing the distance, and narrowly avoiding collision, Constitution and Guerriere fire all guns they can bring to bear at musket-shot range.

As the frigates continue manoeuvring downwind, Constitution fires its 24-pound guns at long range into Guerriere:

After absorbing Constitution's long-range fire, Guerriere steers hard to larboard and fires a partial broadside into Constitution's starboard quarter as she clears her gun smoke.

Realising every advantage will be necessary to defeat the heavier Constitution, Captain Dacres manoeuvres aggressively to position Guerriere for a perfect stern rake:

At this point Commodore Rodgers was carried to the orlop due to injury [or maybe a tantrum] and the battle paused until "more favourable conditions"...

Bligh
05-03-2021, 02:59
:hatsoff: Commodore Rodgers has left us with a fine cliffhanger. Please convey my best wishes to him for a speedy recovery from his indisposition.

Your servant,
Wm. Bligh Admiral of the Blue.