PDA

View Full Version : What's on your workbench for February?

Bligh
02-01-2021, 07:50
Today I made the ship cards for my USS John Adams.

Bligh
02-01-2021, 07:51
Ship base card.

Bligh
02-01-2021, 07:52
Ship Mat.

Bligh
02-01-2021, 07:57
Name card.

Volunteer
02-01-2021, 22:59
Moved a little further on this wooden schooner. The trouble I am having now are the numerous numbered parts still left that aren't shown in the single instruction sheet at all.

Bligh
02-02-2021, 07:52
Now that is starting to look something like it Vol.
Have you decided where it will take pride of place when completed?
Rob.

Bligh
02-02-2021, 09:48
Here are the cards for my other new Frigate USS Boston.

Bligh
02-02-2021, 09:50

Bligh
02-02-2021, 09:51
https://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=52569&stc=1

Bligh
02-02-2021, 09:52

Vagabond
02-02-2021, 11:03
Nice looking cards Rob, are these based on the Amazon ship models? Forgive my ignorance if this is a foolish question. Are you using photoshop to create them?

Vol that's a fine looking ship, what length is she in real life, I'm just a bit surprised she has a tiller and not a wheel.

Cheers

Volunteer
02-03-2021, 00:00
Nice looking cards Rob, are these based on the Amazon ship models? Forgive my ignorance if this is a foolish question. Are you using photoshop to create them?

Vol that's a fine looking ship, what length is she in real life, I'm just a bit surprised she has a tiller and not a wheel.

Cheers

Haha, I have no idea John. It came in just a plain cardboard box with Zero labeling. And as I said, the instructions are entirely pictures with some Chinese writing here and there.

Volunteer
02-03-2021, 00:05
Now that is starting to look something like it Vol.
Have you decided where it will take pride of place when completed?
Rob.

Not exactly yet Rob. I still don't know if I can finish it. I spent most of the day and evening trying to figure out what all of the extra parts are for, and scratch making parts that are shown but aren't supplied or do not fit properly.

Vagabond
02-03-2021, 00:06
Haha, I have no idea John. It came in just a plain cardboard box with Zero labeling. And as I said, the instructions are entirely pictures with some Chinese writing here and there.

I'm minded to say "Junk" :takecover: but that would be unfair because she looks pretty good. :wink:

Bligh
02-03-2021, 00:48

Well John, the answer is yes. DB reccomended Amazons as a stop gap for those ships, and photoshop is my weapon of choice.

Rob.

Dobbs
02-03-2021, 05:56
Not exactly yet Rob. I still don't know if I can finish it. I spent most of the day and evening trying to figure out what all of the extra parts are for, and scratch making parts that are shown but aren't supplied or do not fit properly.

If you think it would be any help, Vol, post pictures of the extra parts and if I have any input I'll share it.

Vagabond
02-03-2021, 12:30
Well John, the answer is yes. DB reccomended Amazons as a stop gap for those ships, and photoshop is my weapon of choice.

Rob.

Thanks Rob, I have a very vague familiarity with Photoshop but it's very vague. The reason I'm asking is that I have some notion to play a small campaign around the Master and Commander novel, where the Sophie is sent to raid shipping on the south Spanish coast. I've run the idea past my two wargaming internet buddies and they have expressed interest, so I was thinking of letting them name their own ships to try and pull them a bit further into the spirit of the game.
Do you have a blank and then add text? I'm sure I've seen blank bases but not damage cards.

Sorry the Hollandaise sauce is splitting - got to go

Bligh
02-03-2021, 13:39
Send me the weapons and I will do the job.
Names of Ships. What you want the dates to be.

The stats for the ships, and deck letters. Crew numbers, Nation for whom they are sailing etc, and I will knock out the ship cards, base cards, and ship logs for you. All you will need is the printer and card to mount the ship logs.

Rob.

Bligh
02-04-2021, 05:06
These are for my latest Spanish aquisition.

Bligh
02-04-2021, 05:08
https://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=52628&stc=1Ship log.

Bligh
02-04-2021, 05:09
Base card

Bligh
02-04-2021, 05:10

Vagabond
02-04-2021, 06:55
Send me the weapons and I will do the job.
Names of Ships. What you want the dates to be.

The stats for the ships, and deck letters. Crew numbers, Nation for whom they are sailing etc, and I will knock out the ship cards, base cards, and ship logs for you. All you will need is the printer and card to mount the ship logs.

Rob.

Rob that's a great offer, thanks, I'll take you up on that in the near future.
Cheers

Bligh
02-04-2021, 12:56
Whenever you are ready my dear chap.
I reccomend a good quality Matte photo paper for printing, and half mm card for the ship log. If you paste the ship mat onto the card it gives it body and if you double side it with an alternative ship of the same type but different name like to official logs it will be just right for the Log frame and less liable to warp with the danmpness of the drying paste. I can put you any name to the ships cards, mats etc with ease. It is changing stats, flags and number of action boxes which takes the time up.

Rob.

Bligh
02-05-2021, 07:08
Under new management!

Bligh
02-05-2021, 07:08

Bligh
02-05-2021, 07:10
Ship Log.

Bligh
02-05-2021, 07:12

Volunteer
02-05-2021, 10:23
If you think it would be any help, Vol, post pictures of the extra parts and if I have any input I'll share it.

Thankyou Dobbs, I will take you up on that. V1 & V2 are the cross tree for one mast, not built yet. I am thinking the two slotted rectangles with the round holes may be platforms that set on the cross trees, though they are not shown and I am not sure of the orientation. The three V3 pieces I think are for the fore & aft sail booms, but I don't see how they would attach to the eds of the dowels. The others are a blank.

Volunteer
02-05-2021, 10:38
I have made a little more progress on the Chinese "Junk":smack:

Vagabond
02-05-2021, 14:57
I have made a little more progress on the Chinese "Junk":smack:

:surrender: I did say she looked very pretty :wink:

Vagabond
02-05-2021, 15:02
Whenever you are ready my dear chap.
I reccomend a good quality Matte photo paper for printing, and half mm card for the ship log. If you paste the ship mat onto the card it gives it body and if you double side it with an alternative ship of the same type but different name like to official logs it will be just right for the Log frame and less liable to warp with the danmpness of the drying paste. I can put you any name to the ships cards, mats etc with ease. It is changing stats, flags and number of action boxes which takes the time up.

Rob.

Thanks Rob, I suspect it's name changes only unless anyone has come up with a version of HMS Surprise, Jack Aubery's ship, although as I'm trying to replicate his original voyage it was HMS Sophie I believe a Brig, has anyone done any stats for a Brig?

I used a Sloop for the first time ever in a game yesterday and was surprised by how fragile they are so I imagine a puff of wind would sink a brig.

Dobbs
02-05-2021, 15:59
I agree with your assessment about the V3's Vol. Here's a picture of the boom jaws on one of my skipjacks.

I imagine your booms would use parrels instead of the rod. Is the foresail loose footed, since there would only be 3 boom jaws? Maybe a pencil sharpener to fit them, orcan a slice be cut in the dowels?

W1 definitely looks like they go at the crosstrees. I notice that the holes are in different locations, like one hole is for the mainmast and the other is for the maintopmast? Perhaps the one with 2 notches goes under the crosstrees and the other goes above them?

Volunteer
02-05-2021, 16:19
I agree with your assessment about the V3's Vol. Here's a picture of the boom jaws on one of my skipjacks.

I imagine your booms would use parrels instead of the rod. Is the foresail loose footed, since there would only be 3 boom jaws? Maybe a pencil sharpener to fit them, orcan a slice be cut in the dowels?

W1 definitely looks like they go at the crosstrees. I notice that the holes are in different locations, like one hole is for the mainmast and the other is for the maintopmast? Perhaps the one with 2 notches goes under the crosstrees and the other goes above them?

What do you think the notches might be for? I had thought one went with the fore mast and one with the main mast. I had to make the caps as the parts supplied were a quarter pf the size needed.

Dobbs
02-05-2021, 18:03
Masts were keyed so they wouldn't rotate, I thought that the notch might be for the square base of the topmast, but I don't know. I will check my rigging books and see if I can come up with a better answer.

What do your caps look like?

Dobbs
02-05-2021, 19:02
The notches may be for the running rigging. On the back side of the mast for the throat halyard and maybe the peak halyard comes down the front?

Is there a topmast for the foremast?

Bligh
02-06-2021, 01:02
Thanks Rob, I suspect it's name changes only unless anyone has come up with a version of HMS Surprise, Jack Aubery's ship, although as I'm trying to replicate his original voyage it was HMS Sophie I believe a Brig, has anyone done any stats for a Brig?

I used a Sloop for the first time ever in a game yesterday and was surprised by how fragile they are so I imagine a puff of wind would sink a brig.

Might be worth having a word with Texas. He did Surprise many moons ago.

Rob.https://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=52684&stc=1https://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=52685&stc=1https://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=52686&stc=1

Vagabond
02-06-2021, 04:11
She looks very nice, but his modelling skills are way beyond mine.:thumbsup: Thanks for the info.

Volunteer
02-07-2021, 15:00
Masts were keyed so they wouldn't rotate, I thought that the notch might be for the square base of the topmast, but I don't know. I will check my rigging books and see if I can come up with a better answer.

What do your caps look like?

Sorry Dobbs, I've been distracted for a few days and today is Superbowl. So here is what the provided caps looked like, clearly not the correct size for this vessel.

As shown on instruction sheet

The caps I made to fit the masts

As for topmasts, these are the only mast/boom material profided top to bottom: bow sprit, two masts, three fore& aft booms. Nothing for the spars shown in the diagram

Comte de Brueys
02-07-2021, 17:59
Nice card design, Rob. :salute:

...and good luck with this wooden model, Vol. :help:

Bligh
02-08-2021, 04:28
Thanks Sven.
I start painting the John Adams today.
Rob.

Volunteer
02-08-2021, 11:12
Nice card design, Rob. :salute:

...and good luck with this wooden model, Vol. :help:

Thank you Sven

Dobbs
02-09-2021, 05:51
Sorry Dobbs, I've been distracted for a few days and today is Superbowl. So here is what the provided caps looked like, clearly not the correct size for this vessel.

As shown on instruction sheet

The caps I made to fit the masts

As for topmasts, these are the only mast/boom material profided top to bottom: bow sprit, two masts, three fore& aft booms. Nothing for the spars shown in the diagram

Boy, Vol, you do have a project! I googled schooner models to see if I could find a completed image of yours, and it looks like even the manufacturer's model is done incorrectly. It seems like you said, they didn't include many parts for the masts.

My thought with the booms is that the foresail would be loose footed, so only a gaff boom there, leaving material for the main gaff? Is there enough material to cut one dowel to make the bowsprit and jib boom?

Volunteer
02-09-2021, 09:28
Thanks for looking Dobbs. Right on the loose footed foresail so there are only three pieces for the gaffs and boom. The piece for the bow sprit is much too large in diameter to fit the stem. I have put the project on hold while I wait for an order for belaying pins, blocks and deadeyes. I was going to have to buy dowels for the spars anyway so I can add the bow sprit and jib boom to the list at Hobby Lobby.

Bligh
02-09-2021, 13:22
Finally got started on the John Adams today. Black paintwork finished, tomorrow the light buff.

Rob.

Volunteer
02-11-2021, 23:20
I am still waiting for the parts I ordered from ModelExpo, but tonight I built two ship's boats for the stern davits. I only need one but I tried two methods

I think I like the look of the one on the right best. Now I need to think about how to make and attach the keel, rudder and tiller.

Bligh
02-12-2021, 09:51
Just wondering if the John Adams should have ships boats with stern davits Vol?
Rob.

Volunteer
02-12-2021, 20:36
Just wondering if the John Adams should have ships boats with stern davits Vol?
Rob.

I believe so Rob. Here are the references I have for the 1799 frigate John Adams.

Volunteer
02-12-2021, 21:55
The finished boat

And the new scratch davits

I tried working on the masts but gave up.

Bligh
02-13-2021, 01:09
Thanks Vol. I will add a pair to my model. That also begs the question of if Essex should have the same? The only picture of it that I saw did not.
Rob.

Bligh
02-13-2021, 09:57
On closer inspection of the top picture it looks as if Adams could also have a ships boat at the stern although the lower picture does not depict one?

Rob.

Dobbs
02-13-2021, 10:11
According to Harland's "Seamanship in the Age of Sail ", stern davits were coming into fashion after 1800. It was probably a personal taste sort of thing and depended a lot on the level of the forward thinking nature of the captain.

Volunteer
02-13-2021, 10:33
On closer inspection of the top picture it looks as if Adams could also have a ships boat at the stern although the lower picture does not depict one?

Rob.

Rob the first one does show a boat at the stern. The second one is depeicting the stern detail so no boat, but the davits are there.

Bligh
02-13-2021, 13:28
Probably go the whole hog on this one then.

This is the shot I have of the Essex.
Rob.

Dobbs
02-13-2021, 19:06

Rob.

Wow, I think that's a poleacre in the background! How cool!

Volunteer
02-13-2021, 23:04

Rob.

Yes this painting shows Essex only had the stern boat and davits. Nightmoss set me straight on that back in the What's on Your Workbench December thread.

Volunteer
02-13-2021, 23:23
Wow, I think that's a poleacre in the background! How cool!

I wonder which ship it was, how many guns? Maybe the Tripoly? Not Meshuda which was a schooner. Essex was only in the first Barbary war and really didn't do much but provide some support for the battle of Derne. The Tripoly is the only other named ship I know about and was a polacca.

Bligh
02-14-2021, 08:21
It's a pity they don't have a book on the Barbary ships like Silverstones The Sailing Navy.
Rob.

Bligh
02-15-2021, 09:32
Here are a couple of shots of the completed John Adams.

Bligh
02-15-2021, 09:33
Rob.

Volunteer
02-15-2021, 09:39
Very nice Rob. The boats look great! Where did they come from?

Bligh
02-15-2021, 10:00
They come in a pack of assorted boats from Langtons Vol. I keep a stock in mainly for including on my terrain pieces. Some also have sails with them.

Rob.

Dobbs
02-15-2021, 16:41
Rob.

That's a really nice addition, Rob! It takes a stock model and makes it look completely different and even cautious modelers could follow in your footsteps. I think my USS Brandywine is going to get some of those!

Volunteer
02-15-2021, 21:04
Progress so far on the Chinese "Junk"! Sorry John, you named it and it's going to stick:wink:

My first sail took 4 hours! Six more to go :erk:

Vagabond
02-15-2021, 21:55
That is very neat stitching, is it some form of blanket stitch, either my eyes are worse than I thought or hopefully it's just not clear in the picture.
Either way I'm impressed. I did some stitching recently and didn't realise until then, how it was possible to be so absolutely hopless at a seemingly simple task.

The junk is coming on nicely but shouldn't the masts rake forward and have a different rig, have you got the plans the wrong way round?
:happy::happy::happy:

Bligh
02-16-2021, 00:52
That really is a superb bit of modelling Vol. It is going to put all our other efforts in the shade when completed.
Rob.

Bligh
02-16-2021, 00:58
That's a really nice addition, Rob! It takes a stock model and makes it look completely different and even cautious modelers could follow in your footsteps. I think my USS Brandywine is going to get some of those!

Thanks for your comments and the Rep Dobbs. I was also unsure until idid it, but now Essex is going to also get the works with the addition of a boat at the stern and one on the gratings.
Rob.

Bligh
02-16-2021, 04:41
There you go. All done and dusted with enough difference to differentiate it from the John Adams..

Bligh
02-16-2021, 04:42

Bligh
02-16-2021, 04:45

Volunteer
02-16-2021, 11:15
That is very neat stitching, is it some form of blanket stitch, either my eyes are worse than I thought or hopefully it's just not clear in the picture.
Either way I'm impressed. I did some stitching recently and didn't realise until then, how it was possible to be so absolutely hopless at a seemingly simple task.

The junk is coming on nicely but shouldn't the masts rake forward and have a different rig, have you got the plans the wrong way round?
:happy::happy::happy:

It's a junk John.....square prow, pointed stern, masts canted forward!
The stitching is all hand, why it took me over four hours and a sore neck and shoulders.:wink:

Volunteer
02-16-2021, 11:33
That really is a superb bit of modelling Vol. It is going to put all our other efforts in the shade when completed.
Rob.

Thanks Rob, this has been a challenging endeavor I am anxious to be done with so I can get back to the 3D ships.

Vagabond
02-16-2021, 13:23
It's a junk John.....square prow, pointed stern, masts canted forward!
The stitching is all hand, why it took me over four hours and a sore neck and shoulders.:wink:

Please accept my humble apologies Vol, I was looking at it the wrong way round.:wink:

Front to back or back to front, it's a bit of a masterpiece in my humble opinion.:thumbsup:

Diamondback
02-16-2021, 22:16
Started assembling a data table on Maneuver Decks to help sort out Unofficial Ships for the Stats Committee a little more.

Curse these doldrums...

Bligh
02-17-2021, 03:04
It may be a curse to you DB, but your work is a Godsend to the rest of us.:thanks:
Rob.

Capn Duff
02-17-2021, 03:46
Have received my files from Henry / kickstartersnd have the Spanish ships printed, just the hulls for now, will start on them this week.
Will post some pics to compRe to the Ares boats.
I can say the Spanish ships are larger and look to be in keeping with Ares first wave.
However the Frigate is smaller than the Ares version.
As I say I hope to get pics by this weekend 21Feb.
Also received my British files so looking to get them printed next.

The main thing now , for me , is the masts

Bligh
02-17-2021, 04:36
Great to hear Chris.
Look forward to seeing them in the flesh as it were.
Rob.

Diamondback
02-17-2021, 23:21
It may be a curse to you DB, but your work is a Godsend to the rest of us.:thanks:
Rob.

The doldrums I curse are the drought of new official releases to further fill in the blanks, my friend.

Bligh
02-18-2021, 01:48
Right! Got your meaning now DB. I agree totally sir.
Rob.

Volunteer
02-19-2021, 08:42
Four days to finish the rest of the sails

I now know that stitching is NOT my strong suit!:erk:

Bligh
02-19-2021, 09:22
Never mind Vol. One trip to the Med and back with a few make and mend days and you will be stitching like an old shellback. :wink:
Bligh.

Volunteer
02-19-2021, 11:29
Never mind Vol. One trip to the Med and back with a few make and mend days and you will be stitching like an old shellback. :wink:
Bligh.

Rob you do tend to keep me in stitches at times!:cheezy::wink:

Bligh
02-19-2021, 15:25
Rob you do tend to keep me in stitches at times!:cheezy::wink:

Glad to be of service. Just hope that the stitches are not homward bounders!

Rob.

Volunteer
02-19-2021, 21:30
I received my parts order from ModelExpo. The belaying pins are much too large for the rack holes, though they are the smallest size available. So I am attempting to make what I need using wire, shrink tubing and PVA. A tedious process!

On a nicer note, I received another 3D package from my friend Peter across the pond. Three Temeraire class French 74s, two Montanes class Spanish 74s, a 112 gun Santa Ana and a small bag of boats, anchors and various stern plates.

Now if I can just get this Chinese Junk off the desk........

Bligh
02-20-2021, 01:49
My question now is who is Peter and what scale are those ships done in Vol? I am always keen to sample the work of other makers.
Rob.

Volunteer
02-20-2021, 11:46
Pete Lowe is, or was, Rory's best gaming friend. We became friends as well. Pete has a FDM printer and a variety of STL files he has accumulated. His sail files are all Simon Mann's designs. He is the one I built the San Juan Nepomuceno for. These hulls are his thank you.
They are 1/700 scale

Bligh
02-20-2021, 12:55
Thanks Vol.
That gives everyone the info.
Rob.

TexaS
02-25-2021, 01:14
Still painting GNW 15mm, but I’m almost out of cavalry now. Switched to infantry. The horses in the background is step markers for marking losses. The units are done.

Bligh
02-25-2021, 03:18
Turned the picture for you Jonas.
Rob.

TexaS
02-25-2021, 23:12
Thank you, Rob!

TexaS
02-27-2021, 07:13
I base my GNW miniatures on magnetic bases and put them in tin boxes. I have used a magnetic sticker you put on your car when learning to drive before, but now I ordered a magnetic strip pre cut to the right width. Much easier to use.

(The text is ÖVNINGSKÖRNING)

Bligh
02-27-2021, 09:04
That's what I use for all my 15 mm units Jonas. It saves so much time on having to cut up the sheets, and also works out cheaper in the long term.
Rob.

Volunteer
02-28-2021, 12:27
Well I have decided to take a break from the wooden Chinese Junk. I now understand why many wooden ship modelers talk about spending years on a single ship! I don't have that kind of patience, haha. So I have put it up on a shelf with all of the small parts I have been making, sails, etc., for another time when I feel like working on it again. Maybe the start of next winter?
I have gone back to the 1/700 3D ships. So long February!

TexaS
03-01-2021, 06:47
These just hang on to the workbench for March as a flag isn’t finished, but I put them here anyway.

Volunteer
03-01-2021, 09:16
These just hang on to the workbench for March as a flag isn’t finished, but I put them here anyway.

I like them Jonas! Always was partial to the tricorne:hatsoff:

TexaS
03-01-2021, 10:06
This is this winter’s Covid-19 activity. There’s a few tricornes in there.

Vagabond
03-01-2021, 10:30
This is this winter’s Covid-19 activity. There’s a few tricornes in there.

That's a pretty good winters output, Do I take it Spring has arrived in Sweden :wink:

TexaS
03-01-2021, 23:10
Well... There's months more of winter in the northern parts, but down here the snow is gone and even though there will probably be snowing before the true spring, it feels like it's over already.

Finland used to be part of Sweden for more than 500 years. Russia took it 200 years ago and lost it in the revolution. They have about the same weather and mood.

Bligh
03-02-2021, 01:17
That is a fine body of men you have there Jonas.

Rob.

Diamondback
03-05-2021, 19:28
Sounds almost like ours...

Washington Rain Festival: Jan 1-Dec 31