PDA

View Full Version : Indian Ocean Campaign

David Manley
12-29-2020, 04:08
Having seen some discussion elsewhere that suggested this was of interest, the following is a link to a campaign pack I put together for "Form Line of Battle" covering the Coromandel campaign of 1782-83, which should be easily adaptable to "Sails".

Microsoft Word - Suffren and Hughes.doc (navalwargamessociety.org) (http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/scenarios/Suffren_and_Hughes.pdf)

I may update this at some point (there are some spelling mistooks and grammatical goofs), and a new map could be useful, but in its current form it should serve. I wish you joy, fellow captains!

Capn Duff
12-29-2020, 05:38
Thanks for that gen Dave, very informative, for me at least.
I had intended to do this campaign at a Doncaster meet, but don't think it would be feasible to fit in 5 games over the weekend, could do maybe three battle, one Fri and Two Sat, any thoughts on this ?

David Manley
12-29-2020, 06:44
Three would work, but it would be interesting to see whether the players remembered the "campaign" aspect and had any ships left after the end of the first battle :happy:

Nightmoss
12-29-2020, 08:00
Thanks David. I will be checking this out shortly.

Diamondback
12-29-2020, 11:30
The repair/rearm approach here would be simpler than my attempt at resource-management by cannibalizing ships... David, if no publisher has picked this up I would actually suggest Ares license this for publication with some "Sails-izing" rather than have me keep beating my head against a wall from scratch.

David Manley
12-29-2020, 12:31
I would be more than happy if you suggested it to them (doing so myself would seem presumptuous)

Diamondback
12-29-2020, 13:04
Will do. It also occurs to me that this might give us a framework for handling Linois's Expedition, the 1798 Mediterranean Campaign (incl. Nile) and the road to Trafalgar.

David Manley
12-29-2020, 13:16
I have applied a similar system to all those, plus a generic campaign system, but they've fallen in amongst so many other projects and not got the attention they deserve to finish them off. Perhaps next year.....

Bligh
12-29-2020, 13:29
Thanks for that gen Dave, very informative, for me at least.
I had intended to do this campaign at a Doncaster meet, but don't think it would be feasible to fit in 5 games over the weekend, could do maybe three battle, one Fri and Two Sat, any thoughts on this ?

I am more than happy to chip in and help you with this one Chris. The Morocco one I was going to do this year could go on hold and we could run your idea in all our slots between us.
Rob.

Diamondback
12-29-2020, 13:33
I have applied a similar system to all those, plus a generic campaign system, but they've fallen in amongst so many other projects and not got the attention they deserve to finish them off. Perhaps next year.....

Anything I can do to help?

David Manley
12-29-2020, 13:48
Add another 10 hours to the day? L)

No, I need to just knuckle down and get some projects finished rather than endless starting new ones :D

Diamondback
12-29-2020, 13:49
Or start finding things that can be delegated... you sound kinda like me, when I hit a wall I start a new project while I try to remember where I left my jackhammer. :)

David Manley
12-29-2020, 13:51
I did delegate a few wargaming projects once. Didn't end well.....

Bligh
12-29-2020, 15:30
I am finding that since lockdown I seem to have gradually lost the ability to complete anything. I start several things in a day but wander off the subject and never...........

Nightmoss
12-29-2020, 17:03
I am finding that since lockdown I seem to have gradually lost the ability to complete anything. I start several things in a day but wander off the subject and never...........

You're in good company. Leonardo da Vinci had similar issues, many projects, many unfinished. :wink:

Bligh
12-30-2020, 03:35
That make me feel much better Jim.:wink: Does that mean I will now have to write all my posts ?sdrawkcab :shock:
Rob.

Nightmoss
12-30-2020, 09:22
That make me feel much better Jim.:wink: Does that mean I will now have to write all my posts ?sdrawkcab :shock:
Rob.

!lliw uoY or is it uoY lliw? :wink:

Bligh
12-30-2020, 09:47
Thats about as close to acvtual mirror writing as we can get on here Jim.:happy:
Rob.