PDA

View Full Version : What Naval related gifts did Santa bring you shipmates?

Bligh
12-25-2020, 13:16
:shock:My stash did not have an Ares ship for the first time in years.:cry:

Apart from my new Monitor (Computer that is) not a WWI ship I got.......

Wentworth
12-25-2020, 16:20
HI Rob,
I posted this on another thread, but here goes again:

Diamondback
12-25-2020, 18:53
Y'all have already seen it... the present for ten-year-old me that came thirty years late. :)

Comte de Brueys
12-26-2020, 02:50
Nothing sea related.

I get the Epic boardgame + both expansions and the Twilight Imperium 4 expansion.

Wentworth
12-26-2020, 07:33
Rob-- love to know your opinion of the Cruel Seas game....By the way.... "Strike fast, Strike hard" is a credo I tried to live by when I was a younger man.....:wink:

Nightmoss
12-26-2020, 08:55
All Warlord Games Black Seas gifts. 2 Merchant Ship boxes, 2 USS Essex boxes and 1 Santisima Trinadad. Haven't had much time to peek at them outside of the USS Essex.

Naharaht
12-26-2020, 18:56
I have played Cruel Seas a few times at my local games club (before coronavirus). It is a good game but, the more players involved the longer you may have to wait around to do something because it does not have the simultaneous movement and firing we have in Sails of Glory. Each weapon mount on your ship fires separately by dice rolls. The models are good but you have to paint them yourself.

Bligh
12-27-2020, 01:32
It was mostly the assembly and painting I was looking forward to Dave.
Mine are intended mainly for fodder for my aircraft, as I don't have many small ships to blitz. There is, however, a lot of good stuff to make use of within the pack and the background book is excellent. Hats off to John Stallard.
Rob.

Bligh
01-15-2021, 12:49
The delayed parts of my Christmas present arrived today. One Spanish Bahama and more Cruel Seas fodder for my Torpedo Bombers.
Rob.

Vagabond
01-17-2021, 12:17
The fodder for your torpedo bombers will look good on the table top, there's no doubt of that, I've seen some of the Cruel Seas ships and am well impressed. Only played 1 game and not so sure about some of the rules, they seemed a bit strange but that's probably just me.

HMS Victory sailed the Atlantic and she had a fast passage and arrived in time for Christmas day. That meant that I had 2 BIG British ships and only 1 BIG French ship so in spite of worries about the current tax regime since the 1st Jan I ordered Montagne from the States and she arrived a few days ago sans extra tax so that was a relief.

Bligh
01-17-2021, 13:10
That is good news John. I may be able to help you out with a couple of 74s if you would like them.
Rob.

Vagabond
01-18-2021, 07:10
That is good news John. I may be able to help you out with a couple of 74s if you would like them.
Rob.

Thanks Rob that's a very kind offer but I've put a moratorium on buying any more ships until I've used all the ones I have bought over the last 2 years.

The fleets have grown apace, there are now 2 1st rates, 2 74's 2 62's, 2 50's 4 frigates and 1 sloop in both the French and British Fleets plus Constitution. So 27 ships so far and I think I've only played about 14 games.

I was sorely tempted by the Zatu sale to start a Spanish Fleet and add a 74 to the British and French Fleets and I would like the Bonhomme Richard, the list goes on and on, but that way madness lies.

In the last 2 weeks I've played 4 of the 2015 scenarios, one game required 8 ships and I had to take the cellophane off 4 of them which sort of shows how little used they have been.
Sailing is on hold for a little while as I'm on decorating but I hope to complete the AARs on the games recently played.
Thanks again.

Bligh
01-18-2021, 12:59
I quite understand John, but they are there if you want them any time.
Rob.

Vagabond
01-19-2021, 03:56
I quite understand John, but they are there if you want them any time.
Rob.

:drinks::drinks::drinks::thumbsup:
Thanks