PDA

View Full Version : On This Day 8 September

Coog
09-07-2012, 23:08
On 8 September 1812 the schooner HMS Laura, under the command of Lieutenant Charles Newton Hunter, encountered the French privateer brig Diligent (or Diligente or Diligence) off the Delaware River. Laura had just captured three American prizes and was in the process of taking a fourth when Diligent arrived on the scene. Hunter recalled his boat and her men from the prize and sailed to engage, even though he knew from his third prize that Diligent out-manned and outgunned Laura.

Laura's crew had been reduced to 41 men because of the need to man the prizes she had taken, and she was short of officers for the same reason. The need to guard 25 American prisoners further reduced her effective strength. At the time of the engagement, Laura carried two short 9-pounders in addition to her ten 18-pounder carronades, while Diligent normally carried 16 French 24-pounder carronades and two long 12-pounder guns. However, Diligent had stowed three of her cannon in the hold for stability in a recent gale. She also had a crew of 97 men rather than her usual 120.

The two vessels exchanged fire for an hour. Fire from Diligent wounded Hunter and the sole remaining officer, Midshipman John Griffith, and killed or wounded 13 of Laura's crew of 41. Consequently, the crew hardly resisted when the French finally were able to board. Captain Grassin of Diligent took his prize to Philadelphia.

At his court martial at Halifax the Board acquitted Hunter for the loss of Laura. The combination of Laura's loss and the fact Diligent had also had heavy casualties of nine killed and 10 wounded provided clear evidence that Hunter had done his utmost. However, the board condemned Seaman James Cooper, who had surrendered Laura while Hunter was having his wounds dressed, to death. Later his sentence was reduced to seven years transportation.

David Manley
09-08-2012, 14:49
September 8th 1923 - Honda Point Disaster:

"On 8 September 1923, in a disaster at Honda Point, California, seven destroyers were run aground through bad weather, strong currents, and faulty navigation. Twenty-three lives were lost during the disaster. The squadron commander, Captain Edward H. Watson, organized rescue and survival measures for the several hundred shipwrecked Sailors and subsequently took full responsibility for the actions that led to the tragedy. In the ensuing court martial, Watson lost all chances for further promotion."

Berthier
09-08-2012, 21:45
Amazing photos David. First time I've ever heard of this incident probably because it was peacetime and in the US.

The wiki article says
"Some attributed these incidents in the Santa Barbara Channel to unusual currents caused by the great Tokyo earthquake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Kant%C5%8D_earthquake) of the previous week." but the rest of the article says navigation errors in dead reckoning were the main cause and the failure to notic the unusual currents etc.

There are quite a lot of photos on the web of the aftermath of the incident. Great post!

Comte de Brueys
09-09-2012, 01:28
A bad accident and a story I didn't know.:eek:

Interesting pictures, David.

csadn
09-09-2012, 22:29
September 8th 1923 - Honda Point Disaster:

Which is why so many of the Naval types I knew were violently offended by the following motorcycle sales ad campaign in the US:

"FOLLOW THE LEADER -- HE'S ON A HONDA!"

(I wish I was kidding....)

David Manley
09-10-2012, 10:39
I wish I was kidding....

Offended by an ad campaign in the 1980s? yes, I wish you were kidding. Some people have really thin skins (or, like my MIL, go out of their way to be offended), or did they really think Honda did it deliberately????? Still, its good that they remembered the name. Very few of my USN chums have ever heard of it :(

csadn
09-10-2012, 11:14
Offended by an ad campaign in the 1980s? yes, I wish you were kidding. Some people have really thin skins (or, like my MIL, go out of their way to be offended), or did they really think Honda did it deliberately????? Still, its good that they remembered the name. Very few of my USN chums have ever heard of it :(

I suspect they were offended for much the same reason I get "offended" when I see someone in public wearing a T-shirt with the poster art for the movie _JAWS_ on it -- for some people, it's "just an ad"; for others, it's a reminder of something distinctly unpleasant. It presses a button the offending party didn't even know he was pressing. (Not helping is the unfortunate history between the USN and IJN some time later.)

Just goes to show: A little research goes a *long* way towards avoiding such issues. :)