PDA

View Full Version : Action off of Windmill Point

Dobbs
07-05-2020, 20:12
In this engagement, I played Saratoga and the AI played Unite, using my Sailing Master rules. I also used my simplified damage system so I could focus on sailing.

August 1798

After an uneventful first cruise of the Quasi-war with France, Saratoga heads up the Chesapeake Bay toward Baltimore. Off the mouth of the mouth of the Rappahannock River she spies a strange sail. A French frigate is lurking beneath Windmill Point, hoping to prey on American shipping.

The French have the weather gauge, and close with confidence.

Saratoga throws a tack before the range closes.

The wind diminishes as she completes her tack.

The Frenchman bears off as Saratoga’s sails start to draw on the other tack.

The French frigate Unite heads up as Saratoga bears off. Both exchange partial broadsides.

Both ships again manage only a partial broadside, then luff up.

The wind backs, which works well for Saratoga, not so much for Unite. Neither ship has momentum in the light air, so the 2nd hourglass is played.

Unite turns out of the wind as Saratoga remains stationary and waits for her sails to draw. The crew stands by their guns. Next turn, Unite will be motionless…

Saratoga begins to move, lining up a perfect shot on her unmoving quarry.

A brief, slow chase ensues.

The wind veers, heading Saratoga as Unite unleashes a full broadside, luckily not a rake or at short range.

The chase continues, with neither ship able to press a decisive advantage.

The final shot, then called for supper.

In conclusion, I felt the AI did well, considering. I dished out 10 points of damage while receiving 6. It’s tough for the AI ship when its opponent is close to the line between two different arcs. When I created Sailing Master, I worked out the numbers with the assumption that the AI’s target was in the center of an arc. During a lot of the chase portion, I was on the AI’s starboard side, but really close to the stern arc. Had I been in the stern arc, the AI probably would have been more aggressive.