Bligh
05-13-2020, 09:39
Book Title:
Far Distant Ships Author:
Quintin Barry ISBN:
978-1-911512-14-1 Category:
History Format:
Hardback Summary:
I was pleasantly surprised by the book's contents after reading the dust cover. I expected a formulaic list of the actions during the blockade of Brest between the dates 1793 until 1815. Instead we are entertained to not only the actions, but the reasoning of the Admiralty over many years leading up to the period in question.
The machinations by various factions both in the Commons and Lords, and their attempted manipulation of the Sea lords and the Admirals placed under them.
We also get potted biographies of the main Commanders, and their Captains plus the friction arising amongst them. Then we also see how the arrangement of ships and squadrons fitted into the British and French Grand Strategy.
All in all a very enlightening and strangely entertaining book packed with excerpts from personal letters and official correspondence.
Probably not a book for a new comer to the period, but I would certainly recommend it to the serious gamer.

Rob.

JimBlkHwk
07-10-2020, 10:19
Rob,

I actually just finished reading this myself a few weeks ago. Agree with your review, very interesting and insightful read. I woul have appreciated a little more detail in the last chapter that dealt.withthe logistics of victualling ships on the blockade, but surethere are more resources for that. I felt that some chapters may have focused too much on a single source (at least in his citations), but in it's entirety a great book that brings together many sources in a coherent narrative.

Regards,
James

Bligh
07-10-2020, 13:53
Rob,

I woul have appreciated a little more detail in the last chapter that dealt.with the logistics of victualling ships on the blockade, but sure there are more resources for that. I felt that some chapters may have focused too much on a single source (at least in his citations),
Regards,
James

Hi James.
I agree entirely with your critique. I did not mention the victualling because my interests were mainly in the cut and thrust of the protagonists both French and between our commanders and their compatriots both in the fleet and at the Admiralty. His sources were a bit lean in some areas and this could be examined from other angles too if we had the time to do it. I'm afraid that at my age time is not a resource of which I have a lot remaining. I will have to pass on that one, but well flagged up sir. Your criticism is a much valid addition to my review.
Thanks.
Rob.

JimBlkHwk
07-10-2020, 16:23
Rob,

Agreed again. I would certainly recommend this book, just being more nitpicky than anything. As you said, I think the author sets up a lot of topics well that could be explored more in depth. He does a nice job of describing various debates, such as distant versus close blockade, Howe's intentions prior to the Glorious First of June, and Calder's Action in the run-up to Trafalgar, that one could dig into. Also interesting framing these events within the larger strategic issues of the war.

Best,
James