PDA

View Full Version : *What's on your workbench for May?

Volunteer
05-07-2020, 00:45
My wife gifted me two Warlord Games Black Seas fleet packs for my birthday last month, The US Fleet and the Third Rate pack. I started working on one of the three plastic frigates first. While overall the detail on the hulls is quite nice, I must say there are things about these Warlord models I really do not like. The spars are cast flush with the masts so they can't be cut awy without damaging the mast. They are all at 90° so every ship has only a following wind dead astern. The first ship I wanted to model was the US Chesapeake. The stern gallery for it is no where even close to the Chesapeake's stern. This is something that would have been so easy for Warlord Games to get right as there is plenty of easily available reference to the historical stern.
The next thing I don't like are the clear acetate ratlines. You just can't get rid of the shine and glare on them. So I have been experimenting with two jigs for making the ratlines.
The set from the first jig I mounted on the lower masts and I'm using the second jig for making the ratlines for the upper mast. The second jig is actually faster even though it only produces one set at a time.
Oh, and while at least one of the two named resin frigates in the pack came with boat davits, none of the plastic frigates did. All of the US frigates had quarter and stern davits so I created some.

Bligh
05-07-2020, 01:02
Hi Vol.
Thanks for this expose on the Warlord models. You have done a splendid job on those ratlines.
I can see what you mean about the stern. About the only thing they got right are the number of windows.
A shame because as you have shown it paints up vert well. Also having the name in what I take is raised letters although a feature makes it difficult to use as a generic model unless you are very adroit with a file or Dremel.
Do all the models have the names added like the Chesapeake?

Rob.

Redcoat
05-07-2020, 02:11
It looks good Vol. I was a little disappointed with these ships. I am working with the Meridian ships (only with their hulls) in scale 1/700, the rest is scratchbuilt.

I follow your work.

Best regards Julián

Volunteer
05-07-2020, 09:08
Hi Vol.
Thanks for this expose on the Warlord models. You have done a splendid job on those ratlines.
I can see what you mean about the stern. About the only thing they got right are the number of windows.
A shame because as you have shown it paints up vert well. Also having the name in what I take is raised letters although a feature makes it difficult to use as a generic model unless you are very adroit with a file or Dremel.
Do all the models have the names added like the Chesapeake?

Rob.

I was able to squeeze in one set of ratlines mounted on the upper mast before bed last night and another started on the "loom".

The sprues come with three different generic sterns and three different figurehead stems

Since this is supposed to be the US Fleet, there is also a bag with three named metal sterns and four specific metal stems: Chesapeake, Constellation and Congress. They got the figurehead for Chesapeake right, a winged angel with left arm draped over exposed left breast. I haven't researched the other two ships enough yet to know if they are accurate or not. I am at a loss why there are four stems for three ships.

Here are a couple of pics showing what I was talking about with the spars cast flush with the masts rather than in front of the mast

And the paper backed acetate ratlines

These are the two resin 44 gun frigates in the pack: the United States and the President. I have the Humphrey plans for both of these so we'll see how accurate they are when I get around to them. As I recall all of the Humphrey frigates were single flush gundecks yet one of these isn't.

So overall I am enjoying the challenges to make a decent looking model with this first ship. As I go through it, ideas for modifying the next one come to mind and I should write them down because I'm old and might forget! And there are all of these extra stems and sterns ........:hmmm:

Ferrante
05-07-2020, 11:24
Very nice job . It looks fantastic
I like the work you are doing with the ratlines .
Hope to see your squad finish soon . Regards

Volunteer
05-07-2020, 11:29
Thank you Ferrante, I will keep you updated

Dobbs
05-07-2020, 16:28
Hey! That's the stern for the 1853 SoW Constellation! The US navy scrapped the Humphrey's one that year and called it a refit. Rounded sterns was a solution to stern rakes and outside our time period.

Dobbs
05-07-2020, 16:36
United States was said to have a block house on the quarter deck which made her the least impressive sailer of the 3 frigates. That's my guess on the step on the 44.

Volunteer
05-07-2020, 19:35
Hey! That's the stern for the 1853 SoW Constellation! The US navy scrapped the Humphrey's one that year and called it a refit. Rounded sterns was a solution to stern rakes and outside our time period.

Oh thank you Dobbs, you saved me some research time. I wont be using that stern. But I will need to find some reference painting showing the original stern so I can approximate a replica from one of the generic plastic sterns.

Volunteer
05-07-2020, 19:39
United States was said to have a block house on the quarter deck which made her the least impressive sailer of the 3 frigates. That's my guess on the step on the 44.

And thanks again Dobbs, I'm sure you are right. Interestingly this one is the package the boat davit sprues were in and they don't fit the a quarters at all with that raised "blockhouse". But they do fit the flush deck President.

Bligh
05-08-2020, 00:59
All good information for anyone else trying this line of ships.
Thanks for that chaps.
Rob.

Comte de Brueys
05-08-2020, 06:41
Nice project, Vol.

Volunteer
05-08-2020, 11:04
Thanks Sven. I'm not getting a lot of time to work on it, maybe a half to one hour a night is all. But I will keep plugging away at it.

Volunteer
05-08-2020, 13:14
Next installment! I was able to break away and take a few pics of the finished ratlines and strung standard rigging i finished last night.

The predrilled holes for the foremast and mainmast stays are just inside the aft end of the fore and main chains/channels, so the stays don't show behind the ratlines. I think I will be drilling new holes further aft on the next ships. Should probably have done on this one but I sort of want to do a stock version first to see the problems, then modify the next ones.

Dobbs
05-08-2020, 14:38
Hah! I've been very resistant to these new ships, but your pictures are weakening my resolve.

Vol, if you don't like the yards, why not trim them flush and make new yards from plastic rod?

Volunteer
05-08-2020, 17:55
Yeah that's what I'm thinking Dobbs. Just a shame to ruin the lower furled course on the two masts though. Maybe cut them off the spar and fill the gap with putty. Since I've had so much time in between shipyard sessions, I've been thinking a lot about how to improve these models. The nice hull detail is what's keeping me at it. I've even thought about just scratch building everything above the deck.
Oh, and thanks for the rep Dobbs. You haven't even seen what it is going to look like yet! It might be hideous:shock:

Wentworth
05-08-2020, 19:23
At the risk of being labeled a heretic....I recently became interested in a set of skirmish rules for the black powder period called "Sharp Practice." Here's the latest from my workbench for that set of rules for the French and Indian War period:

Volunteer
05-08-2020, 23:11
Wow! And they have a tank! Will the turret cannon be flint or percussion cap? Those must be some interesting rules indeed.:cannon:

Wentworth
05-09-2020, 10:23
Wow! And they have a tank! Will the turret cannon be flint or percussion cap? Those must be some interesting rules indeed.:cannon:

HA HA HA !!! I think the turret cannon will be flint and the machine guns percussion ! What a pity Braddock couldn't have brought up a tank in his attack on Fort Duquesne...:wink: The tank is actually for my Bolt Action Brits...

Volunteer
05-09-2020, 13:23
Ah, how disappointing:sad:
Still, a black powder war wagon would definitely spice things up on the table. Maybe some alternate history scenarios?:hmmm:

Wentworth
05-09-2020, 14:27
Ah, how disappointing:sad:
Still, a black powder war wagon would definitely spice things up on the table. Maybe some alternate history scenarios?:hmmm:

There was an original Twilight Zone episode about a National Guard tank crew on maneuvers who hit some sort of time warp and found themselves at Custer's Last Stand...a black powder war wagon...hmmmmm...:happy:

Volunteer
05-09-2020, 16:06
There was an original Twilight Zone episode about a National Guard tank crew on maneuvers who hit some sort of time warp and found themselves at Custer's Last Stand...a black powder war wagon...hmmmmm...:happy:

I remember that, great episode. I love time anomaly films like that. The Final Countdown is a favorite.

Diamondback
05-10-2020, 11:13
Even without any weaponry, just a high mobility armored fighting platform would still be a Game Changer in an otherwise un-mechanized environment. Something open-top like an SdKfz 251 where you pop up to shoot, then hide behind armor plate until you're ready to shoot again.

Heck, even just pickup-truck technicals and supply-haulers would be an advantage against an OPFOR relying on animal musclepower...

Volunteer
05-11-2020, 00:13
Here are the sails mounted

About the sails, another thing I don't like much. The weight of the card they are printed on is too heavy. They are difficult to shape properly. And I don't like all of the dark brown staining. A little staining is natural but this is over done. I will most likely scratch build the sails on the next ship. Next to do is the running rigging. Last will be mounting the anchors, then the boats to the quarter davits. I am not sure about whether to do a base or not yet.

Ferrante
05-11-2020, 01:13
Very nice job . I like your rigging job and the paint .
It looks nice I hope Ares will release something new this year or most of us going to this models .

Bligh
05-11-2020, 07:41
Splendid looking job Vol.:clap:

Rob.

Bligh
05-11-2020, 09:18
Just pondering how best to integrate my Moorish fortifications into the existing landscape with the maximum degree of variations available to me.

Comte de Brueys
05-11-2020, 10:11
That looks promising, Rob. :salute:

Here are the sails mounted
About the sails, another thing I don't like much. The weight of the card they are printed on is too heavy. They are difficult to shape properly. And I don't like all of the dark brown staining. A little staining is natural but this is over done. I will most likely scratch build the sails on the next ship. Next to do is the running rigging. Last will be mounting the anchors, then the boats to the quarter davits. I am not sure about whether to do a base or not yet.

Nice result, Vol.

Ferrante
05-11-2020, 10:53
Just pondering how best to integrate my Moorish fortifications into the existing landscape with the maximum degree of variations available to me.

It looks great at this phase . This is going to be a great project :thumbsup:

Bligh
05-11-2020, 12:44
Just sent in an order to Brigade Models for a few more parts and the Moorish buildings I need.
Ten it will be Langtons for the ships.
Rob.

Volunteer
05-11-2020, 14:13
Oooh that looks really nice! Can't wait to see the next Bligh Terrain Masterpiece!

Dubourdieu
05-11-2020, 16:08
This ship looks marvellous ! You managed to highlight so well the main sails are not hoisted. That's the detail I usually have the most difficulties with. I really like the colour of your topgallants too !! Nice job :beer:

Bligh
05-13-2020, 10:22
Starting to form the base shaping.

Volunteer
05-13-2020, 10:38
That's going to be pretty impressive!

Ferrante
05-13-2020, 10:51
Base shaping is getting form. Very nice. i think this is going to be a huge scenary for great battles.

Bligh
05-13-2020, 12:41
One of the things I wanted to get away from with this Port was not having it in a corner like the One with my ship yard.
This will be able to be anywhere along the coast, so that it can be attacked and defended from any direction, and not just by frontal attack.

Rob.

Bligh
05-14-2020, 09:36
Now just waiting for my delivery of ships and scenics from Brigade Miniatures, and Langtons.
Then I can start the sculpting of the foam.
Rob.

Bligh
05-15-2020, 10:07
Langtons win the race two days from door to door for my four Moorish ships and a length of quayside.
Now I just await my Brigade delivery and I will be in action.

Rob.

Ferrante
05-15-2020, 12:25
Omg ! Now I have GAS ( Gear Acquisition Syndrome) .
I need one of that Xebecs . They look amazing . They used a lot this kind of Xebecs , but some frigates too .
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_28_November_1751

I am working in some Buildings . One shooted tower

Bligh
05-15-2020, 13:11
I had been looking for something of this nature Ferrante. You must be a mind reader.
Great to hear that larger ships were also employed by the Algerines. I was thinking Frigates.
Now I have an excuse to use a 50 gun ex Spanish ship at least.
Any more interesting snipets to post?
Rob.

Dubourdieu
05-15-2020, 17:17
Wonderful works all of you ! ! The details of the "soot" on the shot tower from the canon balls adds a great amount of realism !

Volunteer
05-15-2020, 23:39
Langtons win the race two days from door to door for my four Moorish ships and a length of keyside.
Now I just await my Brigade delivery and I will be in action.

Rob.

Keyside Rob? What is that?

Volunteer
05-15-2020, 23:41
Omg ! Now I have GAS ( Gear Acquisition Syndrome) .
I need one of that Xebecs . They look amazing . They used a lot this kind of Xebecs , but some frigates too .
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_28_November_1751

I am working in some Buildings . One shooted tower

Now that tower has seen some better days. Great job of depicting battle damage Ferrante!

Ferrante
05-15-2020, 23:49
Rob at this moment it is difficult to find English language docs about fights against the Berbery coast . I am trying to find .
We had lot of problems here in the coast , and lot of brigs , frigates , and ships of the line fights .
I have found another fight between USA and Berbery pirates 50 km from my home with a frigate involved :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_off_Cape_Gata

Thank you Romeo and Vol . I used black and grey to give the black powder look . I was thinking all my towers are like new and may be I needed some action.

Volunteer
05-15-2020, 23:49
I finally finished the frigate

This one shows the added aft and quarter boat davits
The next pic is my scratch built 1/1200 Chesapeake with my new Chesapeake
In this one you can make out the winged angel figurehead

Bligh
05-16-2020, 02:20
Morning Ferrante.
Firstly, I was very remiss not to mention your very fine tower yesterday. Both the ones I have are in pristine condition and I feel it is high time I had a ruin like yours.
Secondly thanks for looking up that extra information. will add it to my growing inventory of useful actions upon which I can draw.
Rob.

Bligh
05-16-2020, 02:21
Another magnificent model Vol, and the setting in which you have placed it is stunning.
Rob.

Bligh
05-16-2020, 02:38
Keyside Rob? What is that?

Well for a start Vol it is a misspelling by me. It should be Quayside. It is a long structure, usually built of stone; where boats can be made fast in order to take on and off their cargo. ie. a Dockside.

Rob.

Dubourdieu
05-16-2020, 04:59
Vol, your pictures are just breathtaking. :thumbsup: Thank you for sharing them. The combination "soft" white / black is really great ; without mentioning your rigging work (nice thread colour too instead of the given black one). It makes the ships look much more realistic. So (just to discourage myself) how many hours did you spend to finish her ?

Volunteer
05-16-2020, 09:28
Well for a start Vol it is a misspelling by me. It should be Quayside. It is a long structure, usually built of stone; where boats can be made fast in order to take on and off their cargo. ie. a Dockside.

Rob.

Got it, the spelling indeed through me off. Thanks for the clarification.

Volunteer
05-16-2020, 09:46
Vol, your pictures are just breathtaking. :thumbsup: Thank you for sharing them. The combination "soft" white / black is really great ; without mentioning your rigging work (nice thread colour too instead of the given black one). It makes the ships look much more realistic. So (just to discourage myself) how many hours did you spend to finish her ?

Hi, thank you Roméo. It is hard to say how many hours it took me. Due to other circumstances, I have only been able to spend an average of 30 minutes an evening in the shipyard for the past month. Some days none at all. Other days only 10 to 15 minutes. I received the squadron packs on April 10, but did not begin work on the frigate until the end of April. So figuring three weeks at 30 min a day would be around 10.5 hours.
I feel this could be cut down by 25% if I could dedicate larger uninterupted blocks of time at it.

Ferrante
05-17-2020, 07:06
Vol I admire your job with painting , rat lines and flags. This looks amazing job . It will take to me more than double time to have that detail . My patiente is limited .
I still like more the 1/1000 models , larger battles , and less space needed
Rob no problem , I wish I can view your tower and project soon .

I am painting my brigade models fort , and another order on the way :)

Volunteer
05-17-2020, 10:24
Thank you Ferrante. That is why I prefer the 1/1200 scale for gaming....even larger battles, even less space:minis:
These 1/700 ships are fun to build and just pretty!

Vagabond
05-19-2020, 00:35
Vol your ship does look amazing and I like the fact its it's not on a base so that when you photographed it with the backdrop in place it looks so realistic.
A small work of art, I showed it to my wife and she said "where was the photo taken, Gibraltar" and then I explained it was a model with a photo behind, it's that good.

Rob I missed the start of your port, looking forward to seeing how you progress with it.

Ferrante that's a clever idea to show the battle damage on the tower, it does look good.

Bligh
05-19-2020, 13:11
Well it took Brigade only four days longer to ship, and this little lot arrived today right in the middle of me painting the doors on the landing. However, that means that tomorrow I can start positioning my fortifications to see how they look best.

Rob.

Volunteer
05-20-2020, 00:09
Vol your ship does look amazing and I like the fact its it's not on a base so that when you photographed it with the backdrop in place it looks so realistic.
A small work of art, I showed it to my wife and she said "where was the photo taken, Gibraltar" and then I explained it was a model with a photo behind, it's that good.

Rob I missed the start of your port, looking forward to seeing how you progress with it.

Ferrante that's a clever idea to show the battle damage on the tower, it does look good.

Wow thanks John! That must be the nicest compliment I have ever heard.

Bligh
05-20-2020, 00:54
Morning John.
You can catch the start of my port if you look at posts 27 and 33. Today I hope to refine some of my ideas by juxtaposing the new wall and tower sections with those I already had in stock, and then once that is settled send in another subsidiary order for any other items I think I need to enhance the main idea.
Rob.

Dubourdieu
05-20-2020, 08:57
Hi, thank you Roméo. It is hard to say how many hours it took me. Due to other circumstances, I have only been able to spend an average of 30 minutes an evening in the shipyard for the past month. Some days none at all. Other days only 10 to 15 minutes. I received the squadron packs on April 10, but did not begin work on the frigate until the end of April. So figuring three weeks at 30 min a day would be around 10.5 hours.
I feel this could be cut down by 25% if I could dedicate larger uninterupted blocks of time at it.

I understand. Within 10 hours 1/2 that's very good results you get. I'm impressed. Good job again, mate !

Dubourdieu
05-20-2020, 09:08
Well it took Brigade only four days longer to ship, and this little lot arrived today right in the middle of me painting the doors on the landing. However, that means that tomorrow I can start positioning my fortifications to see how they look best.

Rob.

It looks pretty inspiring too, Rob. I cannot get rid of my smile when I imagine each one of us trying all the possible positions ever of items to make scenery as much realistic as possible like kids would've done just to play. :medal:
You're pretty lucky to have only "four days longer to ship". I ordered some materials one month ago but resupplying is very slow because of Covid-19 : nearly everything comes from UK by the way. I'm stuck and can't do anything for the moment. That's why all your pictures are a very good medicine to my misfortune !

Bligh
05-20-2020, 09:28
Well then here is today's dose from Dr.Rob.

https://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=49426&stc=1

Tomorrow I start layering the Rocky outcrop.

Rob.

Volunteer
05-20-2020, 10:11
Morning Vol.
You can catch the start of my port if you look at posts 27 and 33. Today I hope to refine some of my ideas by juxtaposing the new wall and tower sections with those I already had in stock, and then once that is settled send in another subsidiary order for any other items I think I need to enhance the main idea.
Rob.

I think that was Vagabond asking Rob

I do have a quick question though. Do you refer back to the initial layout photos for placement after you have built up the hill top terrain? I know in the past I have had to change positions due to the way the terrain turned out. I never used photos. I think I will going forward.

Bligh
05-20-2020, 13:35
Hi Vol.
Firstly thanks for spotting my mistake.
In answer to your question, if it is an historic fort like the ones I did for Basque Roads I try to be as accurate as the information I can glean allows. Modern photos often have a variety of modifications down the years and I try to define the most likely layout from my knowledge of the period and then tailor the bits of wall and bastions etc to fit. This often incurs a lot of cut and shunt, even in some cases totally new fabrications made from scratch. If copies of maps around the period are available this helps a lot. With The Isle De Rey I had a scaled down map of the whole Island and forts.
However, in this current case I simply picked a fort of which I liked the style, and converted it into a generic North African town and port which could look like just about anywhere. So, just like yourself, in the main it will be a case of best fit serves. As far as I can see so far, I only have two scratch built bits to do. The wall and stairs which will climb the cliff to the Citadel, and the flight of steps from it down to the town gate. As you will see tomorrow I have already modified that picture I posted earlier today.

Rob.

Bligh
05-20-2020, 13:45
It looks pretty inspiring too, Rob. I cannot get rid of my smile when I imagine each one of us trying all the possible positions ever of items to make scenery as much realistic as possible like kids would've done just to play. :medal:
You're pretty lucky to have only "four days longer to ship". I ordered some materials one month ago but resupplying is very slow because of Covid-19 : nearly everything comes from UK by the way. I'm stuck and can't do anything for the moment. That's why all your pictures are a very good medicine to my misfortune !

Thanks Romeo,
I hope that the end product lives up to your expectations.
Do you think it would be any swifter if I got your order sent to me and then forwarded it on to you. I can justify going to the Post Office once a week, even in the lockdown situation, and things here are easing up a bit now, or is the blockage with Customs at your end?
If I can help let me know.
Rob.

Comte de Brueys
05-20-2020, 15:15
Nice little "harbor fortification", Rob. :wink:

Bligh
05-20-2020, 15:35
Thanks Sven.
Still in the developmental stage as yet.
I am hoping to get som height on it tomorrow.
Rob.

Dobbs
05-20-2020, 18:42
I like your prospective layout, Rob. I can see where the different generations of builders had different ideas on defence.

Ferrante
05-20-2020, 22:59
Rob this is getting bigger and better . Nice forms , and matchs with the sea Matt .

I think is going to be a challenge the fight between the forts and some ships . Some historical battles could be remembered

Volunteer
05-20-2020, 23:50
While I have been patiently waiting for Rob to dazzle my senses with more of his amazing terrain art skills, I have moved on to one of the brigs in the Black Seas US Squadron pack. The modifications so far are:
1) Cut the spars away from the masts and dress the masts.
2) Cut the two pieces of the main course furled sail away from the plastic spar.
3) Cut and dress new spars from 0.32 music wire.
4) Glue the two pieces of the furled sail to the new main course spar. Fill in the gap with putty and sculpt to match.
5) cut two gun hatches in a piece of 60# card and glue it to the inside of the taff rail at the stern.
6) cut two hatch covers and glue them to the out side of the stern, matching the hatch locations inside
7) Mount a fife rail at the aft base of the main mast to tie off the braces from the foremast spars.
8) Extend the fighting tops
9) Make the ratlines with the new jig

That is where I am at so far.

Bligh
05-21-2020, 01:16
This is truly masterful Vol. I doubt I would have the patience to carry out all that rigging, but well worth it for a ship of that craftsmanship. The nearest I came to that was stringing the bows for my Wars of the Roses Army, but that was only one string each figure. That is a true work of art reminicent of Julien's ships.
Rob.

Bligh
05-21-2020, 01:19
I like your prospective layout, Rob. I can see where the different generations of builders had different ideas on defence.

Very kind of you to say so Dobbs. It is nice when someone spots the very thing which I was striving to achieve. That was why I waited for my extra order from Grenadier. Gave me chance to do a bit of pick and mix rather than just complete in one style.
Rob.

Bligh
05-21-2020, 09:55
In the heat of today I managed to rough out the basic shape of the hillside and rocky crag.

https://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=49438&stc=1

Rob.

Bligh
05-22-2020, 01:09
I have now sculpted some of the contours of the hill ready for refining the shapes at a later date.
Rob.https://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=49444&stc=1

Bligh
05-22-2020, 09:13
Today I have been busy laying out the Castle and checking to see if the levels look OK, plus ensuring that everything fits snugly before I start cutting away to contours.

https://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=49445&stc=1

Volunteer
05-22-2020, 23:55
Wow! That is going to look so cool!

Volunteer
05-23-2020, 00:32
Got the ratlines on and finished the standard rigging

The next work is the sails. I am going to try wetting them and then shaping with a pencil eraser.

Bligh
05-23-2020, 00:38
Almost a shame to set the sails and mask all that superb rigging Vol.
Rob.

Bligh
05-23-2020, 00:42
Here is the progress I managed to get through yesterday afternoon and evening.
Starting the sculpting of the cliffs.

Volunteer
05-23-2020, 08:22
Rob do you use a hot wire/knife or just blades for carving? I have a hot wire foam carver but my basement hobby room has little to no ventilation and the fumes are too much.

Dubourdieu
05-23-2020, 09:52
Thanks Romeo,
I hope that the end product lives up to your expectations.
Do you think it would be any swifter if I got your order sent to me and then forwarded it on to you. I can justify going to the Post Office once a week, even in the lockdown situation, and things here are easing up a bit now, or is the blockage with Customs at your end?
If I can help let me know.
Rob.

Truly thank you a lot Rob for your offer. Unfortunately I think it's a matter of supplying between the British company and the French one so I basically have no possibility nor details on the shipping process. I just know that from a general overview, French (small) companies dealing with modelling have currently huge issues with their stocks despite the fact the economical activity started again a week ago. So I think it's just a matter of time with delivering the items then shipping to my place. But thank you again Rob, indeed it would've been faster to directly order to UK companies but I also wanted to help the small shop in my native region that has partnership with the British suppliers and has reduced import fees.

Dubourdieu
05-23-2020, 09:59
Rob do you use a hot wire/knife or just blades for carving? I have a hot wire foam carver but my basement hobby room has little to no ventilation and the fumes are too much.

Both of you guys make a wonderful job. This is really great to follow step by step your works.

I was gonna ask you the same question. I haven't tried that hot wire yet and I was wondering whether you had used it to get such a good result about the cliffs. Anyway I love your different "floors" that give a good perspective (and realistic!) of the fortifications.
Without mentioning the rigging work. I personally use and glue the acetate pieces because I would be the last one able to reproduce them with real thread and that precision.

Bligh
05-23-2020, 13:39
Hi Vol.
I use a combination of Router, craft knife, small needle files and occelating drum sander for almost all my work.
Rob.

Bligh
05-23-2020, 14:06
Got on quite well today and finished the shaping, ready to glue on the base and leave overnight to set.

Rob.

Vagabond
05-24-2020, 00:21
Rob that's coming on very nicely, as Dobbs said it's good to see the old with the new style of fortifications, it adds realism and history to a build. It will also go very well with your backdrop to give good overall look to the scenery on your table. I'm looking forward to seeing it painted.

Vol I do like the look of the rigging you're creating, I only have the SoG ships and am not a ship modeller so don't think I will ever get around to this but it sure looks good and must add strength to the masts.
You may have already said but do you use superglue to glue the ratlines together, soaking all the thread and so create a solid piece?

Bligh
05-24-2020, 01:34
That is a good tip John.
I have only ever used watered down PVA to stiffen things in the past, although I did find that adding a bit of super glue to the surface of Plasticine or Milliput when moddeling hardens it off in seconds.
Rob.

Bligh
05-24-2020, 01:38
Overnight the glue has hardened off so now I'm ready to stiffed this surface with a coat of watered down PVA.

Should be hardened off by dinner time if I get on with it.

Rob.

Bligh
05-24-2020, 01:48
Unfortunately I think it's a matter of supplying between the British company and the French one so I basically have no possibility nor details on the shipping process.

OK Romeo.
If I can be of any help in the future just let me know.
Rob.

Volunteer
05-24-2020, 12:00
Hi Vol.
I use a combination of Router, craft knife, small needle files and occelating drum sander for almost all my work.
Rob.

So no hot knife! I must say you get spectacular results with your methods. I can't even imagine trying to use my big router on something like this.:hatsoff:

Volunteer
05-24-2020, 12:05
Rob that's coming on very nicely, as Dobbs said it's good to see the old with the new style of fortifications, it adds realism and history to a build. It will also go very well with your backdrop to give good overall look to the scenery on your table. I'm looking forward to seeing it painted.

Vol I do like the look of the rigging you're creating, I only have the SoG ships and am not a ship modeller so don't think I will ever get around to this but it sure looks good and must add strength to the masts.
You may have already said but do you use superglue to glue the ratlines together, soaking all the thread and so create a solid piece?

Thanks John. To answer your question, I use just a touch of super glue to each thread cross junction, careful not to apply too much. I sharpened the end of a paperclip to use as an applicator. This does stiffen them somewhat, enough to easily mount, but not rigid.

Bligh
05-24-2020, 13:12
So no hot knife! I must say you get spectacular results with your methods. I can't even imagine trying to use my big router on something like this.:hatsoff:

I saw a model makers Router some years ago in Hobbycraft, and wished I'd bought it ever since.
Rob.

Bligh
05-24-2020, 13:16
Got the PVa done by lunchtime ans spent this afternoon and evening fine fitting the battlements.

Bligh
05-24-2020, 13:24
Just finished the glueing up.
Let it dry overnight and then it's off to the workshop for the first spray undercoat.
Rob.

https://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=49463&stc=1

Vagabond
05-24-2020, 15:24
Thanks John. To answer your question, I use just a touch of super glue to each thread cross junction, careful not to apply too much. I sharpened the end of a paperclip to use as an applicator. This does stiffen them somewhat, enough to easily mount, but not rigid.

That's interesting, I would have expected rigid to be better than slightly floppy, thanks for the tip.

Vagabond
05-24-2020, 15:25
Just finished the glueing up.
Let it dry overnight and then it's off to the workshop for the first spray undercoat.
Rob.

https://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=49463&stc=1

This is going to look really good

Ferrante
05-24-2020, 22:54
Vol very nice Brig , I like the colors. And as always nice rigging job

Rob I am impressed with the foam Modeling , and castle building . This is looking very nice . I like the different kinds of forts . It would be hard to break this fort

Volunteer
05-25-2020, 00:34
I finished the brig tonight
Heading into the Mediterranean

Bligh
05-25-2020, 01:09
Rob I am impressed with the foam Modeling , and castle building . This is looking very nice . I like the different kinds of forts . It would be hard to break this fort

Thanks again Ferrante.
I like defence in depth. Started by the Norman influence, developed by the Crusaders, and the Moors, with a bit of Spanish or Vauban influence thrown in. If it has any weakness it would be the need for water to be collected in cisterns, and the extensive garrison it would need to man all those walls. Still it works for Malta so why not.

Rob.

Bligh
05-25-2020, 01:16
Good to see them Vol. I can use a bit of help in the Med against those pesky Algerines.
Rob.

Bligh
05-25-2020, 08:31
Filled in a few gaps this morning and now have it primed ready for a spray can of sand colour undercoat. I have a few days to kill until that arrives from Amazon, so will now start work on planning the layout of the town.
Rob.

Volunteer
05-25-2020, 23:38
Good to see them Vol. I can use a bit of help in the Med against those pesky Algerines.
Rob.

They need to get there before they complete those new fortifications!:cannonboom::cannon:

Bligh
05-26-2020, 00:40
Best thing to do is ambush the paint convoy then Vol.:happy:
Just looked at your pictures again. They would be good enough to enlarge and put up on the wall.
Bligh.

Redcoat
05-26-2020, 00:56
Rob, that castle is worthy of praise. It is looking very very good and you have successfully integrated the buildings into the terrain, which is not easy. I really like the new buildings that BrigadeModels has released. :thumbsup:

Redcoat
05-26-2020, 01:01
Vol, another great job. I especially like the filling effect of the sails and the detail of the pulleys on the rigging. :thumbsup:

Bligh
05-26-2020, 08:58
Rob, I really like the new buildings that BrigadeModels has released. :thumbsup:

There is a lot of mileage in those new buildings if you know how to cut and shunt. I have had to relearn quite a lot about how slops meet at complex angles though. Takes me right back to my tin bashing days.
Rob.

Bligh
05-26-2020, 09:15
A bit of work on the Town today.
Positioning jetty and harbour wall.

Rob.

Bligh
05-27-2020, 00:53
I have also started having a look at the layout for the harbour and glued up the walls on the dockside.

Bligh
05-27-2020, 01:46
Having next glued my harbour jetty to its plasticard base for strength, I am going to fill the cracks and spray it with primer.
Then I will start work on forming the town contours in the blue foam onto which I have been sketching some of the profiles.
Rob.

Bligh
05-28-2020, 01:00
Slight change of plan owing to my undercoat paint arriving.https://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=49519&stc=1

Bligh
05-28-2020, 10:10
Harbour wall now glued in place on its base, and a start made on the harbour town contour sketching and machining on the foam.
Rob.

DeRuyter
05-28-2020, 11:33
I finished the brig tonight

Heading into the Mediterranean

Wow amazing work Vol!!

Have you given a thought to modifying the set of the spanker?

It is one thing that bugs me about the Warlord models. The effect is noted in your photos above. The gaff and boom jaws are too thick and the spanker is incorrectly sized to fit on the mizzen properly. Thus you see all the Black Seas ships with a giant gap between mast and sail where there should not be one. Normally the spanker or driver would be attached to the mast with hoops, or on a snow rig to a separate spar (see Niagara. No reflection on your great work just the way Warlord modelled the rig.

Bligh
05-28-2020, 15:24
Looks superb Vol.
i had not even noticed the Spanker until Eric mentioned it. I was just overawed by the overall magnificence of the picture.
Rob.

Volunteer
05-29-2020, 00:26
Wow amazing work Vol!!

Have you given a thought to modifying the set of the spanker?

It is one thing that bugs me about the Warlord models. The effect is noted in your photos above. The gaff and boom jaws are too thick and the spanker is incorrectly sized to fit on the mizzen properly. Thus you see all the Black Seas ships with a giant gap between mast and sail where there should not be one. Normally the spanker or driver would be attached to the mast with hoops, or on a snow rig to a separate spar (see Niagara. No reflection on your great work just the way Warlord modelled the rig.

Thanks Eric. I agree, the things I like least about the Black Seas ships are the masts and sails. The hulls are nicely detailed. I may just scratch build masts and sails on future BS models. That may be a while though. I just took a commission fom Gunner to kit bash four SOG ships for him. I'm working on the Ville de Varsovie now. You know, three out of the four ships he sent me have the spanker/driver sail blowing in the opposite direction as the jib and fore stay sails are billowing. What a wierd mistake for Ares to make! Am I the only one to notice this?

Bligh
05-29-2020, 03:41
It has been mentioned with some vehemence when the ships were released Vol.
I am still taking the dried frog pills for it. All bar one of the ships I bought have been rectified, but I ran out of spare Mizzen masts.
Rob.

Dobbs
05-29-2020, 05:23
Thanks Eric. I agree, the things I like least about the Black Seas ships are the masts and sails. The hulls are nicely detailed. I may just scratch build masts and sails on future BS models. That may be a while though. I just took a commission fom Gunner to kit bash four SOG ships for him. I'm working on the Ville de Varsovie now. You know, three out of the four ships he sent me have the spanker/driver sail blowing in the opposite direction as the jib and fore stay sails are billowing. What a wierd mistake for Ares to make! Am I the only one to notice this?

In addition to that, Vol, is the use of lateen spankers on late 18th century ships. They should be gaff spankers and the lanterns go on the Indiamen.

The same mizzen issue happened with the Portlands and Artesiens.

Dobbs
05-29-2020, 08:36
I make new headsails out of the styrene sheet or salvaged from models I cut up.

Bligh
05-29-2020, 12:17
I was using my lateens by swapping them with the Indiamen as you suggested Dobbs until I ran out of Indiamen to do the swapsies with. However, I got another Indiaman not long ago so may be able to rectify another Ares gaff. No pun intended!
Rob.

Bligh
05-29-2020, 12:35
Today I have glued up the layers of foam where extra height is needed.
Tomorrow I can start my landscaping.
Rob.

Bligh
05-30-2020, 02:28
Progress to date with terraforming. I will try to get it completed today.

Bligh
05-30-2020, 13:14
Terra forming completed. Next a good coat of watered down PVA to firm up and seal the surface.
Rob.

Bligh
05-31-2020, 00:11
PVA overnight. Should be ready for primer coat this morning.
Rob.

Ferrante
05-31-2020, 10:18
Rob.

You have a great habilita for the terrain Rob . I like how it seems with different textures and the low area .
This is Getting better each day . Soon you will have it ready .

Ferrante
05-31-2020, 10:22
I have received my order and painting some houses

Bligh
05-31-2020, 12:45
I love the way you are painting your dwellings Ferrante. I have two sets of the same that I have to get painted. I just wish they did a Sultan's Palace. If the paint is dry on my terrain I will photo it later this evening and post it so you can see how I am getting on.
Rob.

Volunteer
05-31-2020, 14:54
I have received my order and painting some houses

Ooh I like the look of these buildings Ferrante!

Volunteer
05-31-2020, 14:58
In addition to that, Vol, is the use of lateen spankers on late 18th century ships. They should be gaff spankers and the lanterns go on the Indiamen.

The same mizzen issue happened with the Portlands and Artesiens.

Sorry Dobbs, I didn't see this until just now. Yes I figured this out last night. But Gunner wants me to leave it and scratch the stay sails.....

Volunteer
05-31-2020, 15:02
Rob.

Better hurry Rob! Tommorow it's going to be on your workbench for June! :wink::takecover:

Bligh
05-31-2020, 15:30
Here you go then Vol. All undercoated and ready for me to pop out and get som detailing paint tomorrow.
Rob.

Dobbs
05-31-2020, 18:57
Here you go then Vol. All undercoated and ready for me to pop out and get som detailing paint tomorrow.
Rob.

That is by far and away the most creative modelling landscape I have ever seen, and it's not even done! It looks like something out of "Lord of the Rings"! I will have to hone my skills for years to do something approaching that.

Volunteer
05-31-2020, 22:12
Wow! That looks pretty fantastic just like that! I agree with Dobbs! Dang!

Bligh
06-01-2020, 00:55
I will have to hone my skills for years to do something approaching that.

I did Dobbs, I did.
I must also say that I owe a lot to Julien for providing me with not only some of the terrain models for my earlier work, but also the inspiration from his incredible craftsmanship and design.

Thanks for your comments, that is also inspiring.
Rob.